• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

July 28th: XY&Z035 - Fierce Rival Battle! Ash Greninja VS Mega Sceptile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Epicocity

Don't think Sawyer would use normal Sceptile on Goodra. Probably wouldn't want to take any chances since he hasn't seen Goodra before.

If that's the case then it should have stayed in the swamp.

Even if Goodra is used against Sceptile, we know from the preview that Sawyer isn't using Mega Sceptile until Greninja hits the field. So Goodra would fight normal Sceptile.

Alexander18

Dragon Pokemon fan
Even if Goodra is used against Sceptile, we know from the preview that Sawyer isn't using Mega Sceptile until Greninja hits the field. So Goodra would fight normal Sceptile.

Okay but Sceptile still going to win since it has Dragon Claw and it is not a Dragon type yet. Also it is confirm to face Greninja so Goodra would not be knocking it out.

Epicocity

Okay but Sceptile still going to win since it has Dragon Claw and it is not a Dragon type yet. Also it is confirm to face Greninja so Goodra would not be knocking it out.

Unless Goodra is withdrawn, which is always a possibility. And of course, if Goodra goes up against Sceptile, Sceptile will win since it has to battle Greninja. But that's if it faces Goodra.

Alexander18

Dragon Pokemon fan
Unless Goodra is withdrawn, which is always a possibility. And of course, if Goodra goes up against Sceptile, Sceptile will win since it has to battle Greninja. But that's if it faces Goodra.

I know it is a possibility. But I prefer Ash didn't do any withdraws or anymore withdraws. I suppose it doesn't matter since we know Ash is winning regardless of how he wins.

Epicocity

I know it is a possibility. But I prefer Ash didn't do any withdraws or anymore withdraws. I suppose it doesn't matter since we know Ash is winning regardless of how he wins.

That's a fair preference. I was just bringing up the possibility.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
Wow the preview was pretty intense. I honestly haven't been keeping up with the league match ups recently, but I'm glad that Noivern is battling here and that Sawyer's Salamence is involved too because both looked pumped up. ^^

So what if it has dragon claw goodra has ice beam so it can weaken sceptile before being switched out and ash can swap goodra for greninja at any moment

Epicocity

So what if it has dragon claw goodra has ice beam so it can weaken sceptile before being switched out and ash can swap goodra for greninja at any moment

This is totally true. Not like Sawyer could switch out Sceptile at that point. We'll just have to see, but I'm still leaning towards 6-4.

I truly wonder, has there ever been any other rival league battle in which some people actually expected to see Ash win with more than 1 Pokémon remaining?

Rohanator

Maybe Shota will actually not Mega Evolve Sceptile against Goodra on purpose so that it wouldn't get hit super effectively by Dragon Pulse.

As much as Noivern needs wins I think it might be better if he fell here (after a savage clash though) and got a big win or two VS Alan instead. It'd just work a lot better for the story since the whole point of Goodra in this match is to be a surprise to Shota, who has prepared a counter strategy for every other one of Ash's Mons, if he simply came in to finish off a Slurpuff which already fought Noivern when Ash was leading in numbers anyway his presence won't feel special at all. He should kinda feel like a saviour like Gliscor did back in the Paul battle. Maybe Salamence could even beat Pikachu as well (easily, since Pikachu is worn out) before Goodra takes the stage.

For Alan I'd like for Ash to lead with Goodra and it being the fall guy there (after putting up a good fight), letting the ones who actually stuck with Ash for the entire journey get proper glory in the final battle.

Last edited:

thedarkdragon11

P4P Elite
I truly wonder, has there ever been any other rival league battle in which some people actually expected to see Ash win with more than 1 Pokémon remaining?

About expectations, not so sure. Maybe against Cameron before?

Anyway, Ash winning with more than 1 Pokémon remaining, I believe, already happened before (not sure) but not against a main rival (Gary and Paul; Trip isn't a full battle). So against Sawyer, that's very possible since he's not the main rival.

Alexander18

Dragon Pokemon fan
Sawyer is not that weak that he loses 6-4 to Ash in my opinion. Ash is not Tobias or Arceus. I reckon the match would end at 6-5 because that is the best way to win a battle in my opinion.

Pteranodonte

I'm worried about Noivern... It would be strange for Salamance to never get a win on screen since its debut, especially now that it is a pseudo. And also Ash beating 3 of Shota's monsters in a row (Clwitzer, Aegislash and Salamance) without losing a single Pokémon seems unlikely...

NegaiFreak

Plus Ultra!
Sawyer is not that weak that he loses 6-4 to Ash in my opinion. Ash is not Tobias or Arceus. I reckon the match would end at 6-5 because that is the best way to win a battle in my opinion.

What's the difference though? Ash could choose not to use Pikachu again because he doesn't want to use him as fodder, risk setting off Lightning Rod for Sceptile, or something else.

If he wins 6-4, it's not like he's invincible. He lost four of his team members and came close to losing two others. That's how I would see it. Plus, it makes him a little more of an opponent who can face Alain because let's face it, he's breezed through this league minus one hiccup with his Metagross. (Didn't see what happened, but his Metagross did faint in the battle against Remo)

thedarkdragon11

P4P Elite

And Ash is not as weak as Sawyer either for him to win 6-5, so that's still as possible as winning 6-5.

Epicocity

Okay, let me ask: what will you think if Ash does win 6-4 against Sawyer?

Alexander18

Dragon Pokemon fan
Okay, let me ask: what will you think if Ash does win 6-4 against Sawyer?

I think that the win would be over the top to be honest. Sceptile and Greninja are obviously saved for last so I doubt Ash would keep one other pokemon on him if Greninja is his last.

Epicocity

I think that the win would be over the top to be honest. Sceptile and Greninja are obviously saved for last so I doubt Ash would keep one other pokemon on him if Greninja is his last.

Well, we don't know for certain that Greninja is Ash's last quite yet. Just that Sceptile is Sawyer's. Considering Greninja hits the field after Sceptile is already out, we have no way of knowing until it airs (or the Pokenchi preview).

Follow-up question: if Ash switches out each Pokemon after they win and thus doesn't lose any, or simply never switches Pikachu back in after Aegislash, how would the win be over the top? It's a legitimate strategy and was the way Paul beat Barry 3-0 after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.