• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

July 28th: XY&Z035 - Fierce Rival Battle! Ash Greninja VS Mega Sceptile

Status
Not open for further replies.

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
Couldn't tell you what it is, but it very obviously splashes up from the ground when Ash Greninja steps. And there's no sign of it floating around Greninja when he throws the shuriken, so it's not an aura or anything like that.
It was "floating" around him when he was charging the shuirken, though.

dman_dustin

The grass we see with the orange Shuriken, I guess for those implying that its being used against Alain and not Sawyer, could simply be an animation error. Since the focus is Greninja and the Shuriken, it wouldn't surprise me if someone splotched green spots by accident, or some animation glitch/error.

Besides, if Greninja vs Charizard WOULD be taking place on grassy field, it still seems pretty barren. I mean Pikachu battles Aegislash/Clawitzer on grass WITH Trees. I feel like if this scene is depicted Alain vs Ash, there's be more environmental clues rather than splotches of green that suddenly just appear.

PAndrews

The grass we see with the orange Shuriken, I guess for those implying that its being used against Alain and not Sawyer, could simply be an animation error. Since the focus is Greninja and the Shuriken, it wouldn't surprise me if someone splotched green spots by accident, or some animation glitch/error.

Besides, if Greninja vs Charizard WOULD be taking place on grassy field, it still seems pretty barren. I mean Pikachu battles Aegislash/Clawitzer on grass WITH Trees. I feel like if this scene is depicted Alain vs Ash, there's be more environmental clues rather than splotches of green that suddenly just appear.

But that isn't grass, it looks like either the top of a tree or bushes, and if you look at the above shot of the ring in the upcoming preview between the 2 Charizards, then you'll see the rock terrain ring is completely barren without even 1 blade of grass and a little river running through the middle. So unless there is a third type of ring where Greninja vs Sceptile happens, that huge orange shuriken scene does appear to be from a different battle (though it could be any of them and doesn't have to be Alain). Or someone just screwed up and used the wrong background image there :p

Last edited:

nickdt

There are trees. Look at the left in the image before Destruco Disk covers the screen.

Akashin

It was "floating" around him when he was charging the shuirken, though.

Only for that single second (during which Greninja was, again, moving), and there's nothing there except for what he kicks up off the ground when he throws the Shuriken a second later.

Master_Tyrell

Only for that single second (during which Greninja was, again, moving), and there's nothing there except for what he kicks up off the ground when he throws the Shuriken a second later.

I'm thinking it is just some effect they wanted to bring, perhaps to emphasize the state Ash-Greninja is in? We did have some ink type of effects in the battle against Diantha, could be they went with the same idea here. Maybe to show that Ash and Greninja are in a very powerful synchronizing state?

Alexander18

Dragon Pokemon fan
I think when Ash wins the battle, Sceptile would have a new respect for Greninja after it gave it a good battle and the two part on good terms. It be a nice way to end the rivalry for Sceptile and Greninja.

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
Their rivalry is almost nonexistent. Hell, they hardly have interacted outside...3 battles. I don't care much about those 2.

Hitting each other is considered on the orders of their trainers is considered character interaction?

Akashin

Hitting each other is considered on the orders of their trainers is considered character interaction?

No, but showing a definite personal interest in defeating one another could be (at least when they fought as Grovyle and Frogadier that is). At least in the context of a rivalry anyway.

WaterShuriken

"I..I..Iron Tail, Pikachu."
Continuing my speculation from the previous thread. I think this episode will begin with the final collision between Pikachu and Aegislash.

Pikachu vs Aegislash | Aegislash wins the duel.
Talonflame vs Aegislash | Talonflame wins and shows off a ranged Fire move.
Talonflame vs Salamence | Salamance wins.
Noivern vs Salamence | Draw. Dragon-type move collision.
Ash-Greninja vs Mega-Sceptile | Ash-Greninja of course. Does not use that orange shuriken here.

I think a draw between Noivern and Salamence as the penultimate fight would put Greninja and Sceptile in equal footing and would raise the stakes for both Ash and Sawyer.

TheNewGuy

This is going to be great but I'm disappointed by the short league. Oh well.

What I will say is that if Ash does win here and get to the final, that's freaking great and would go some way to making up for only making top 8 last time - I really thought that was going to set the series back a decade, but they've just ploughed right through and put him to the final here. Great stuff.

And what's more, if he is going to lose to Alain in the final, Alain would be by far the most well-built of all the people Ash would lose to. He's not a character created solely for the league, he's not Diabolous Ex Machina like Tobias, and he's not whatever the hell Cameron was. He's got a purpose that existed before and presumably after the league, his power is legit, has depth, and isn't coming from absolutely nowhere - I don't want Ash to lose, I've been waiting for him to win for a very long time, but at least with Alain it would be his most justified loss yet.

Or he could just win.

Chardaddy

After looking at it a bunch, I've wondered if the black material by Greninja's feet is sludge. Like from a move, like a sludge bomb or modified toxic spikes or something. This would sort of make sense for Sceptile, but we don't know Alain's other 4 pokemon. He could conceivably have a Toxicroak or Dragagle that knows gunk shot. He also knows Ash has only used 5 team members during his whole journey and wouldn't have a ground or psychic type to counter a poison type with.

Just a thought.

Oh and Hi, long time lurker, first time poster!

Last edited:
but at least with Alain it would be his most justified loss yet.

Tobias is the most justified loss and the most justified to ever happen.

Cause:

A) Ash's pokemon was in no way in the same league as Tobias's, except Sceptile and pikachu ofc
B) Tobias>Alain (Although that argument cannot be complete, cuz even though Tobias has legendaries he didn't have the privilege to take part in a series where megas are introduced.Tbh if he was introduced now a Mewtwo X in his collection wouldn't be far from point). Ergo, Tobias>>>Alain

And

C) Ash's trump card is at a higher level(presumably) than Alain's which makes a probable defeat even the more bitter. Ash's Kalos team> Ash's Sinnoh Team.

The fact alone that he is on par with Alain and perhaps greater, accentuates the bitterness part.

ashsfuture

When looking back at Alain's whole journey he only lost to Lysandre and elite four member Siebold and plus he's at least defeated 13 mega evolved pokemon and I'm guessing he won all his gym badges on the first try and defeated Malva so he is strong and then he meets Ash who could be the one trainer who finally defeats him, if anything just the fact that Alain entered the league just to fight Ash is more acceptable then dropping a random/mysterious trainer into the league last minute.

Question: Since Ash is going face Alain in the finals(based on the information we've gotten)could this be their last battle?considering the fact this is a 6v6 battle/or would they battle again during the team flare crisis?(even though I don't think that would be needed)

Last edited:
First try, reaches top 4. Sawyer is a beast of a trainer apparently. At this point wouldn't be surprised if Sawyer went back to Hoenn next and won the league easily, while Ash will continue to be the eternal 10 year old loser, either that or this league is really easy in comparison to the previous ones we've seen, so many rookie trainers reaching top positions, then again it seems like there is also less contestants participating in the league, so that might be a factor, but still.

I'm really not gonna enjoy seeing Ash losing the final to Alain, Alain is strong but losing to a guy who wasn't even interested in participating in the league will leave a sour taste in my mouth, had Ash shut is mouth he would have been champion, plot convenience strikes, not surprisingly, again. Oh well -.- we should be used to it by now, but each time Ash loses the league makes me progressivly lose my excitment for it in the next region.

Unless Ash wins this league, his top 4 ranking in the Sinoh league will still look like a more impressive feat to me than reaching this top 2 ranking, in Sinnoh he fought experienced trainers there and was the only one to managed to beat not one but two of the Legendary Pokémon of the champion of that league, while no one else managed to beat even one, he might've been top 4 ranking there but seeing as the other guy who reached the final didn't even beat one of the champion's pokemon, Ash might as well have been considered the second best trainer there anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.