• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

July 30th: PM2019 075 - Cresselia's Midsummer Night's Light

Status
Not open for further replies.

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
Is it sad the girls look nowhere as pretty as the dudes from that other anime I don't know.
Not if those dudes are from a reverse harem, shoujo or josei anime. Pokémon's art style is cute, but its character designs will never compare to sexy bishounen eye candy. Which is precisely what those dudes look to be.

Last edited:

Blue Saturday

Unfurl your Blessed Wings!
Unpopular Opinion(?) : PM’s animation has looked just fine for the majority of the series. I think many Pokémon anime fans are super unaware time consuming and stressful the work is. It would be nice if we could normalize disliking things without throwing the actual creators under the bus. There’s no such thing as a “lazy” animator if you ever drawn art seriously and given a crack at the process you would see how frustrating it all can be - just how much work is put into SECONDS of good animation let alone minutes.

Just looking at Yuhei Takobashi’s efforts in #69 or Hiroaki Takagi’s beauty in #65 people get solid/great episodes and scenes of Sakuga than want more in the next episode of a weekly series during a pandemic and then start tearing down the staff when they don’t get it without acknowledging how much time (deadlines) and labor it cost.

They certainly aren’t paid enough on average and if anyone took a shot at it for a day they’d see how “not lazy” these professionals are. Especially if you’re already an artist and have drawn single pieces on your own or even done commission work. It’s always the people that can’t/never draw (even regularly) who have the most to say. Sorry for the rant - a lot of anime fans are aware of that and it just seems many Pokemon anime fan westerners aren’t aware. Let’s not even get in Japan’s grueling work efforts and hours (mainly what I’ve been educated of from family/friends who live out there from the states)

Last edited:
Hopefully, but that's what I thought about PM071 before it ended up looking like a slideshow.
Well I'm going to hope for the best. There hasn't been much to look forward to when it comes to the show's visuals for a while now, but it is what it is.

I'm as much of an Iwane fan as anyone, but there isn't much to chew on with cuts like this for me at least.

Last edited:

Blue Saturday

Yeah. It's in the same uncomfortable gray area SM was in where the actual animation is great...but the designs drag it down... :(
Well that’s more of a subjective thing than anything concrete but conflating animation quality with art style preference is already a nitpick of mine anyway.

Sham

The Guardian of Ruin and Birth
They look like BFFs!
I hope Koharu and Dawn become friends like Lana and Misty and Koharu keeps calling Dawn by her phone or something, that could be a good way to have Dawn come back again in the future.
Also, Yamper is in the poster even tho he is not going to Sinnoh with Koharu, that's sad... (just catch him already girl!)
I DIDNT EVEN PEEP YAMPER. Finally he’s getting attention. I hate how they made Chloe dump him after she got Eevee.

Last edited:

Evstike

Take me back to peak pokemon
Unpopular Opinion(?) : PM’s animation has looked just fine for the majority of the series. I think many Pokémon anime fans are super unaware time consuming and stressful the work is. It would be nice if we could normalize disliking things without throwing the actual creators under the bus. There’s no such thing as a “lazy” animator if you ever drawn art seriously and given a crack at the process you would see how frustrating it all can be - just how much work is put into SECONDS of good animation let alone minutes.

Just looking at Yuhei Takobashi’s efforts in #69 or Hiroaki Takagi’s beauty in #65 people get solid/great episodes and scenes of Sakuga than want more in the next episode of a weekly series during a pandemic and then start tearing down the staff when they don’t get it without acknowledging how much time (deadlines) and labor it cost.

They certainly aren’t paid enough on average and if anyone took a shot at it for a day they’d see how “not lazy” these professionals are. Especially if you’re already an artist and have drawn single pieces on your own or even done commission work. It’s always the people that can’t/never draw (even regularly) who have the most to say. Sorry for the rant - a lot of anime fans are aware of that and it just seems many Pokemon anime fan westerners aren’t aware. Let’s not even get in Japan’s grueling work efforts and hours (mainly what I’ve been educated of from family/friends who live out there from the states)
I can't speak for everyone but here's what I have to say about it. I've gone through the sakugabooru posts, learned to identify which animation teams worked on an episode, familiarized myself with different animators, and read through the credits of every PM2019 episode.

I have no problems with each episode not having sakuga; that's ridiculous to expect. My problem is that compared to both XY and SM, the average animation quality is lower and there are less peaks. There is less movement and it looks worse. A few good scenes like the ones you mentioned do not indicate the overall quality. Even before the pandemic, there was a clear downgrade.

By this point, SM had already had the first 2 grand trials and the Kanto gym battle, which PM2019 has yet to surpass. For example, look at one of Takashi Shinohara's XY/SM episodes and compare it to one of his PM episodes. There's also the other issue where the quality doesn't look as good as it previously did. Characters are constantly off model, especially in Iwane's episodes to the point where I can barely even watch them (but this issue started in SM to a lesser degree). I watched an XY Iwane episode and the difference was night and day. I went through the credits and most of the talent that gave us top tier animation during the past 2 series have disappeared. You can't deny that there is a downgrade.

The rest of your post is just a way to villainize people who have issues. I don't want the animators to overwork themselves, I want whatever OLM did for XY and SM's animation. Is it that hard to expect the quality to improve with each new series, let alone stay the same quality?

Blue Saturday

The rest of your post is just a way to villainize people who have issues. I don't want the animators to overwork themselves, I want whatever OLM did for XY and SM's animation. Is it that hard to expect the quality to improve with each new series, let alone stay the same quality?
I didn’t villainize anyone, I just said what I said because I feel like more empathy should be had for what is grueling and thankless as well as underpaid work and talent. The anime industry isn’t sunshine and rainbows; many of these people are working on more than one project at a time and Japan just enacted another COVID-19 measure. I think fans need to extend some grace, especially since many are not actively paying for this visual medium.

Jibanyan

I have no problems with each episode not having sakuga; that's ridiculous to expect. My problem is that compared to both XY and SM, the average animation quality is lower and there are less peaks. There is less movement and it looks worse. A few good scenes like the ones you mentioned do not indicate the overall quality. Even before the pandemic, there was a clear downgrade.

Yeah, OLM raised the bar themselves but even the episodes with good battle animation are underwhelming compared to XY or even SM because the battles are too short and character animation like SM is non existent

Status
Not open for further replies.