• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

July 7th: XY&Z033 - Mega Sceptile VS Raichu! I Received Some EXP!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Navin

MALDREAD
Sorry but I honestly am not seeing where you think the first episode was NOT that bad. IT WAS that bad.

Even if I were to accept Alain's Charizard one shotting another MEGA Charizard with Flamethrower as opposed to....oh...I don't know ThunderPunch, and be perfectly fine that we didn't see Ash Greninja sweeping the Altaria trainer. And ignoring Serena's moment in the beginning as well as Malva interviewing Ash, I still don't see how this episode qualifies as "NOT THAT BAD."

I just don't see why people would be okay with the cramming nature of that episode. Let alone that it'll probably happen here. Since we have to be prepared for the semi finals in the NEXT episode.

No Dusty, we are not "okay" with the rushed pacing. But if we have to accept the reality that the writers just don't do >7 episode leagues, then it's better to have most of those episodes spent on the two marquee full battles. We don't know the future episode titles, but if the next three episodes after the semis are dedicated to Ash v Alain, that means we'll be getting a Paul-length match for the championship. That would be perfect.

The drama queeness on display here is hilarious

Say what you like. But you honestly can't find anything good in this. Proven by the fact you're not replying to the content of my post.

And you probably haven't been watching as long as I have.

dman_dustin

Now the pre-League festivities are over, and we don't have a red punk running around, I don't actually get why you honestly think they can't give us two good 3V3 battle in one episode??

Because they never have had two entirely different decent 3 vs 3 battles before. I mean Paul vs Barry was pretty much a sweep, and yet Ash's battle boiled down to Snorlax using body slam ON Grumpig.

I'll give you some LEEWAY here, now that we are at the league and we have LESS reasons to distract from the league, but let's not forget Shauna will be here and god knows what else.

And you're forgetting there were 64 trainers. 2 battles have to pass IN THIS EPISODE for the next episode to be the semi finals.

One battle or both battles are getting screwed over in THIS episode just so we can get into semi finals and finals, which will then get LOTS of focus.

No Dusty, we are not "okay" with the rushed pacing. But if we have to accept the reality that the writers just don't do >7 episode leagues, then it's better to have most of those episodes spent on the two marquee full battles. We don't know the future episode titles, but if the next three episodes after the semis are dedicated to Ash v Alain, that means we'll be getting a Paul-length match for the championship. That would be perfect.

I didn't come to watch the league SOLELY to be it about Ash battling Sawyer and Alain. The length of episodes, only says it will be a GOOD battle, that has nothing to do with the overall ranking of the league. These could've easily been standalone full battles, and likely would've served the SAME purpose.

The only reason they are important is because they are Ash's big battles in the Kalos league.

Last edited:

xyzash

Unbeatable
I see you're still defending the Kalos league.

Even if they give us two good 3v3 in the next episode. The fact remains the first episode was lackluster, almost three rounds are entirely skipped. And the top 8 should always be a 6v6 full battle.

I honestly don't see how they're gonna make up for this. I guess I have to face facts. The writers don't care and I have to stop watching the anime. And XY was looking so good...

Then please, go ahead. Why are you even here discussing it when you don't even want to watch it?
And is there some written rule that a quarter must be a 6V6? You're saying it like you are getting a 3V3 final. Different tourneys have different formats, a fact it seems you don't want to digest.
I have gotten tired of repeating this, but I still hold the fact that it is the writer's choice how to divide time between rivals and Ash, and honestly it is your freaking opinion, not mine on where that stands with you. I personally don't mind it, and remember we are discussing an episode that hasn't aired yet, so your opinions don't match well with me. You don't like that, fine. I personally don't mind it, does not make me a person who is senselessly defending it.

Last edited:

p96822

Evolve me please
Ah man they are skip top 32 16 and 8 for Ash. But don't we forget that Sinnoh and Unova did that too in there leagues

xyzash

Unbeatable
Because they never have had two entirely different decent 3 vs 3 battles before. I mean Paul vs Barry was pretty much a sweep, and yet Ash's battle boiled down to Snorlax using body slam ON Grumpig.

I'll give you some LEEWAY here, now that we are at the league and we have LESS reasons to distract from the league, but let's not forget Shauna will be here and god knows what else.

And you're forgetting there were 64 trainers. 2 battles have to pass IN THIS EPISODE for the next episode to be the semi finals.

One battle or both battles are getting screwed over in THIS episode just so we can get into semi finals and finals, which will then get LOTS of focus.

I didn't come to watch the league SOLELY to be it about Ash battling Sawyer and Alain. The length of episodes, only says it will be a GOOD battle, that has nothing to do with the overall ranking of the league. These could've easily been standalone full battles, and likely would've served the SAME purpose.

The only reason they are important is because they are Ash's big battles in the Kalos league.

I am not gonna lie, though, I was really hoping for an episode for Ash's Top 8 match. I wouldn't be that disappointed, if it wasn't for the fact I have the fear It would be wasted on an Iris comeback episode.

I am hoping that's not the case.

Then please, go ahead. Why are you even here discussing it when you don't even want to watch it?
And is there some written rule that a quarter must be a 6V6? You're saying it like you are getting a 3V3 final. Different tourneys have different formats, a fact it seems you don't want to digest.
I have gotten tired of repeating this, but I still hold the fact that it is the writer's choice how to divide time between rivals and Ash, and honestly it is your freaking opinion, not mine on where that stands with you. I personally don't mind it, and remember we are discussing an episode that hasn't aired yet, so your opinions don't match well with me. You don't like that, fine. I personally don't mind it, does not make me a person who is senselessly defending it.

Oh I'm finishing Kalos and then it's done.
There's no written rule but there's also no written rule that there should even be full battles. Let's just make all battles a 1v1.

And of course it's the writers choice. That's probably why I said they don't care, isn't it?

I'm still not hearing any arguments why this league could be redeemed...

dman_dustin

Ah man they are skip top 32 16 and 8 for Ash. But don't we forget that Sinnoh and Unova did that too in there leagues

Only 1 was skipped in Sinnoh (though we actually saw it, Grumpig vs Snorlax) but yes in Unova they entirely skipped a round since Scraggy vs Darumaka only accounts for ONE of Ash's battles when Ash should've had 5 battles and we only saw 3 real battles and 1 move onto the next round match. So yeah, we saw 4 of Ash's battles (technically) but he should've had 5.

Navin

MALDREAD
I didn't come to watch the league SOLELY to be it about Ash battling Sawyer and Alain. The length of episodes, only says it will be a GOOD battle, that has nothing to do with the overall ranking of the league. These could've easily been standalone full battles, and likely would've served the SAME purpose. The only reason they are important is because they are Ash's big battles in the Kalos league.

For all we know, Ash vs Ayaka could be the second-half of this episode, and then end in the first-half of episode 34. If XY Ash is meant to be so much better than the league competition (justifying why he's reaching the finals), then what's the point of watching him trash the other competitors. Especially with a limited number of episodes, it's better to spend that time to create two quality full battles.

xyzash

Unbeatable
Oh I'm finishing Kalos and then it's done.
There's no written rule but there's also no written rule that there should even be full battles. Let's just make all battles a 1v1.

And of course it's the writers choice. That's probably why I said they don't care, isn't it?

I'm still not hearing any arguments why this league could be redeemed...

The point doesn't sit well with you but is acceptable for me does not make me a baseless 'defender' as you are calling it.

dman_dustin

then what's the point of watching him trash the other competitors. Especially with a limited number of episodes, it's better to spend that time to create two quality full battles.

To show his progress so that his entire 8 badge collection quest wasn't just for nothing. (Keep in mind I'm being extreme here to make a point, not fully what I believe)- But why would I spend nearly 3 years of my life watching about Ash collecting 8 badges ONLY for the most important tournament to BE about Ash battling Sawyer and Alain and potentially winning the tournament.

Why would anyone EVER be okay with having spent a long time for ONLY TWO full battles? Episode after episode. Training after training. Team Rocket after team rocket, ONLY culminating in ONLY two full battles?

That is NOT what the league should be about. For Ash to do so well in league required us to see his progress. You're arguments of Ash-Greninja illustrate the problem even further. Ash shouldn't just SWEEP his way to victory. It's Ash Ketchum the underdog. We should see him struggle to justify his potential WIN in the entire league.

Now Ash is potentially going to win the Kalos league just because of a SINGLE powerful Pokemon (and no I'm not undermining Ash's other Pokemon, but Ash-Greninja swept a trainer with Ash-Greninja so in order to get to the TOUGHER battles he uses Greninja to carry his way forward). We spent nearly 20 years watching....(okay the Japanese) spent nearly 20 years hoping for Ash to win a league, and it boils down to "Only 2 battles" and "A powerful Pokemon" and you think that I would ever be okay with this just because the battles in of themselves are full battles and badass?

No. This is Ash Ketchum my favorite character in THIS anime. Probably my favorite character in an animated show (but definitely not my ALL time favorite character) and we don't get to see Ash progress to potential victory. Instead Ash is sweeping to potential victory, solely in a tournament that ONLY deals with 2 very specific rivals, and rivals that weren't written properly either, and with Alain his rivalry with Ash was more rushed than Sawyer suddenly becoming competent.

Alain is like a glorified Tobias, difference, Alain probably if he beats Ash isn't going to sweep him like Tobias did. And Sawyer is like competent Barry or a less creepy more competent Conway, but a very lesser Paul/Gary.

And this is all how you want Ash to potentially win the Kalos league or any league for that matter. Not something Ash earned through struggles and tribulations which trainers should do, but the equivalent of giving him the trophy on a Silver platter, ALMOST to the point of why not just give Ash a winner's trophy and ignore the whole league. The only reason it won't be like that EXACTLY is because of the competency of Sawyer and Alain as trainers. But it's hardly going to be all that impressive if Ash wins.

The battles will be impressive, no doubt. But the wins will not. Not even the basic idea of Ash defeating Alain to win a Pokemon league is that impressive (only in concept/on a piece of paper) since its undermined by how Ash GOT there.

But this is just MY opinion.

pokemaster95

King of pirates
Wasn't it implied that Snorlax swept a team in Sinnoh off paneled?

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
Wow i loved last episode! Got me all pumped for the league :D
I was trying to be optimistic about the Zard's being evenly matched, but ZardX has already proven it outclasses other megas so I'm not too surprised by how it swept Trevor's team.
SOO happy Greninja (assuming) swept that guy's team as well. That would be silly to see an even match for Greninja when CharizardX is sweeping other teams, so it's only fair in my eyes.

It's cool that Pikachu technically was the first to fight at the league (maybe not IN the league, but AT the league yes) so thats nice to see.

Next episode shows no signs of anything except battles so yaaay im pumped :D :D :D

Blazerz

Deffinetely not the best episode but i can't say it was bad( hm maybe my standarts for a good league episode are down to the ground because of BW ;( ). Zard-Y not even making a scratch on Alain's Charizard was dissapointing and then Ash-greninja manhandling that Altaria, but i guess they are trying to show Ash and Alain as the powerhouse trainers of the league and hype up the finals. I won't be surprised if Ash doesn't lose a pokemon untill the semi-final against Sawyer..well hoping Astrid will be a challenge for Ash and Hawlucha will get revenge on Absol.

Lucario At Service

Calm Trainer
Hope that this episode shows full battles, even if they are fast paced.

They have 20-22 min of time for the episode, so a proper 3 Vs 3 could be easily shown in about 8 min or so.

But i guess, Ash Vs Astrid would most likely get cut short.
While more focus would be given to Sawyer Vs Tierno, where Mega Sceptile would completely neutralize Raichu's Electric type moves.

Soniman

Break the Limit
Devote most of the episode to Sawyer/Tierno as planned, maybe have some quick scenes of Ash vs Astrid put in between.

And then have the last 60-70% of the episode be dedicated to Hawlucha vs Mega Absol as the last match of the fight (so show the full battle). Do that and you have a decent league episode.

dman_dustin

Devote most of the episode to Sawyer/Tierno as planned, maybe have some quick scenes of Ash vs Astrid put in between.

And then have the last 60-70% of the episode be dedicated to Hawlucha vs Mega Absol as the last match of the fight (so show the full battle). Do that and you have a decent league episode.

Greninja's confirmed though, so it stands by Ash and let's Talonflame/Hawlucha/Noivern?

Status
Not open for further replies.