• Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

July 8th: PM2019 116 - Champions' Pride! Wataru VS Carne!!

Ultra Beast Lover

To be honest, when I was a little kid, I didn't really care about the story of the show, I just enjoyed what I saw and that's it.
I was kinda the opposite. I loved stories and I was excited to see what the story for the show was. Guess it depends on the kid.

DuquÊ?

Too lazy to pick a pic
I'd give anything for a Pokemon series with the vibe of AG again.
What was AG’s vibe again? I remember it had some of the best Japanese OP songs/endings (except Symphonic Medley), the contests gave it a nice twist, Ash started to use evolved ‘mons and had some great battles. And the evil teams started to be more relevant.

Also, to the hell with the popular opinion, thunder armor was nice.

But, most of the time, I remember a lot of Johto level fillers/battles/characters.

Last edited:

solrocknroll

S-Class Connoisseur Fan
What was AG’a vibe again? I remember it had some of the best Japanese OP songs/endings (except Symphonic Medley), the contests gave it a nice twist, Ash started to use evolved ‘mons and had some great battles. And the evil teams started to be more relevant.

Also, to the hell with the popular opinion, thunder armor was nice.

But, most of the time, I remember a lot of Johto level fillers/battles/characters.

There was def a lot of filler, but it was still a good vibe. It’s hard to describe what made AG good unless you already know what makes it that way. Advance Adventure feels like the best representation of that vibe, and May was easily the best secondary protag the series has seen.

Ragnarok4

The Unova League is better than the Masters 8
AG is only entertaining when you're a kid, but in general it's pretty boring, cities and other places weren't properly represented in the anime, almost everything was forest and forest, trees and trees.

The contests were a bit meh but entertaining and Corpish was the best of the series. Maybe it was easy to swallow because there were no side plots like a rival for Ash or a mutated frog being edgy or the story of a blonde girl traumatized but still meh

Eevee903

Yare Yare
There was def a lot of filler, but it was still a good vibe. It’s hard to describe what made AG good unless you already know what makes it that way. Advance Adventure feels like the best representation of that vibe, and May was easily the best secondary protag the series has seen.
It is well-balanced.

Sceptilee

What also made AG different at the time was that it was a complete start over for Ash for the first time, unlike Johto where he had his old pokemon who were gradually phased out. We saw much more of the new pokemon and the atmosphere felt quite different compared to Johto, which was similar to Kanto in many ways. I think it's like that for the games too, Johto in many ways feels like an expansion pack of Kanto and I think that's kind of what the idea was when it was designed, which is why we have Kanto in the postgame as well. Whereas Hoenn is meant to be it's own thing with a different vibe altogether. That plus all the new stuff, like contests, were well received too. Overall, I think it was a breath of fresh air and it's not surprising that they've chosen to carry on with this formula since then.

AG is only entertaining when you're a kid, but in general it's pretty boring, cities and other places weren't properly represented in the anime, almost everything was forest and forest, trees and trees.

The contests were a bit meh but entertaining and Corpish was the best of the series. Maybe it was easy to swallow because there were no side plots like a rival for Ash or a mutated frog being edgy or the story of a blonde girl traumatized but still meh
7.8/10 too many trees lol, but jokes aside I think you are right, particularly in the first segment atleast. To each their own honestly, a lot of people were unhappy with the changes, May replacing Misty etc. Change is always controversial so that's no surprise really.

Sham

Unova Power

Not only that they barely expanded with Kanto. It just felt like an extension of Hoenn outside of Misty’s/Tracy’s cameo and name dropping popular cities like Saffron

Observer

Mostly watching
To be honest, when I was a little kid, I didn't really care about the story of the show, I just enjoyed what I saw and that's it.

I remember those days, I would come home from school and watch the episodes on UPN and I didn't even care about the fact that it stopped at the episode where Charmander evolved and then went right back to episode 1, I wasn't even bothered by the filler either. If I'm being honest it still kinda holds true for me today more or less.

AG was a transitional period that laid the foundation for the future series of the anime. When I was younger I did enjoy AG and I thought the Battle Frontier was the best part. Years later and I got older, I watched it on Boomerang and well not going to lie but Hoenn was kinda boring and the Battle Frontier was still a slight improvement.

XY Rules

Pokemon Master
What the hell you say? I care about this fight more than the others, by far.

Pokemon fans are getting a champion fight that is not predictable and still complain
But...but...muh Alain! Who is totally the most important part of this tournament! He deserves so much more screen time and focus than the actual Champions!

xtroDe

But...but...muh Alain! Who is totally the most important part of this tournament! He deserves so much more screen time and focus than the actual Champions!
Lance is understandable since he did play a big part in the GSC and the anime, but Alain has more development and screentime than Carne.. she literally does nothing in the games and she's doing... something in the anime?

People not caring about Carne/over Alain is very much understandable.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Legends Arceus is a masterpiece & SV will be too!
People are baiting on Twitter that leaks are out and the victor for this episode is spoiled, but I cant really find any definitive answer except the "I'll DM it if you want'
Most probably clout chasing by the usual Twitter accounts that like to claim they have 'inside sources' while knowing nothing and passing off other people's leaks as their own
Still though, Id advise if you dont want to be spoiled, dont open Twitter on the slight chance it is true

Mythical-Moonlight

GLORIA AND SOBBLE LINE SUPREMACY!
People are baiting on Twitter that leaks are out and the victor for this episode is spoiled, but I cant really find any definitive answer except the "I'll DM it if you want'
Most probably clout chasing by the usual Twitter accounts that like to claim they have 'inside sources' while knowing nothing and passing off other people's leaks as their own
Still though, Id advise if you dont want to be spoiled, dont open Twitter on the slight chance it is true
The guy who is posting this is usually reliable but he gets his sources from creditable leakers and the Chinese Leaker (Moon) hasn't been active since the Serena episode so idk where he's getting his info from

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Legends Arceus is a masterpiece & SV will be too!
Yeah that person has been quite spot on.
That guy in his spaces though kind of paints a different story. Showing all the signs of an unreliable arrogant scooper, while making bold claims of stuff we have no proof for while also continuously saying oh I know this I know that and teasing everyone but never actually saying what it is they know
Idk man, feels like clout chasing to me

Miky

I'm not sure if mentioning stuff about datamine is allowed, since I didn't read it wasn't okay in the rules, but I think I know why there was a delay in the broadcast. I didn't like it at all at first, and I admittedly whined a bit about it, but after Pokemon Masters EX got their update (the one with N and Hilda), I think I may have a theory on that and it's starting to make sense. Again, keep in mind it's speculation.

Apparently there will be an anime collab with Pokemon Masters in early July, on same day I think as when the broadcast will resume; Ash will appear in the game alongside Pikachu for special events. Based on the dev letter we got, the way the 'special pair up' wording is said, seems to imply that we would be able to unlock Ash & Pikachu sometime during August. There's data for his pose model (which is usually reserved for playable character I think), as well as some of his voicelines, though he's missing the introductory one. He DOES have a entry in the sync pair dex though.

Eevee903

Yare Yare
I'm not sure if mentioning stuff about datamine is allowed, since I didn't read it wasn't okay in the rules, but I think I know why there was a delay in the broadcast. I didn't like it at all at first, and I admittedly whined a bit about it, but after Pokemon Masters EX got their update (the one with N and Hilda), I think I may have a theory on that and it's starting to make sense. Again, keep in mind it's speculation.

Apparently there will be an anime collab with Pokemon Masters in early July, on same day I think as when the broadcast will resume; Ash will appear in the game alongside Pikachu for special events. Based on the dev letter we got, the way the 'special pair up' wording is said, seems to imply that we would be able to unlock Ash & Pikachu sometime during August. There's data for his pose model (which is usually reserved for playable character I think), as well as some of his voicelines, though he's missing the introductory one. He DOES have a entry in the sync pair dex though.
That would be freaking cool!