• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

July Plot Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coronis

In lucid awakening
Ichiban came in early this month, and we seem to be progressive quite a lot in this chapter.

We continue in Po Town, where the Captains are clashing against the Ultrabeasts summoned by Guzma, and are interrupted by Gladion, who declares his goal to decimate all UBs. Gladion clearly knows Cosmog and the UBs were given to Guzma by Lusamine, and he openly explains to everyone that Lusamine is the culprit who is bringing upon the crisis to Alola. We see Type: Null easily fend off all three UBs, and when Gladion explains to the astounded Captains that it was the intent behind Type: Null's design, Sun bolts upon hearing him mention the Aether Foundation.

Mallow refuses to believe Gladion's claim that Aether is the secret culprit behind everything, and Mon shows up, voicing out her own query. However, Gladion has no intention to explain, and simply says it is a family battle. With that, Nihilego and Xurkitree also appear from the ultra space holes, and the UBs clearly just rampage on their own nature as they attack Guzma and Plumeria as well. Gladion calls Guzma a fool for being manipulated, and says Lusamine is simply fascinated with the idea of a paradise that has nothing but her and the UBs. Nihilego kidnaps Guzma into an ultra space hole, and just as Xurkitree grabs Moon, Sun's team rescues, only to have himself swat away with a bloody nose.

The UBs break out from the confinement of Po Town, and the Captains head off to secure the residents while Moon stays behind to tend to Sun's wounds. The UBs begin destroying Ula'ula, and people are transferred to the Observatory for shelter. We see Sophocles and Molayne coordinating things, and Sophocles decides to use his Totem Pokemon summoning device to try deter the UB (which to the other Captains' horror, has never actually succeeded).

Back at Po Town, the grunts have evacuated and Sun finds another Zygarde Cell. Moon wants to know Sun's deal with Aether since she saw his expression, and Sun wonders if she has met 'the man who looked like a Pokebean. Moon finally realizes he is talking about Faba, and we learn the reason behind Sun's money saving. He is trying to buy back the island of his great grandfather which Aether snatched from them. At the moment, Looker and Anabel show up...

P.S. Moon's Grubbin has apparently evolved into a Charjabug. We see her with it as she watched Sun grab the Zygarde cell.

======================================

So we finally know Sun's backstory. Does this mean the island Aether is built on originally belonged to Sun's great grandfather? Hapu and Mina are the only key characters yet to show up now, but they have the Poni Island chapters to shine. Anabel is the one that intrigues me most. Makes me wonder what her setting in PKSP will be. A faller from another world? Or the same Anabel we knew?

Coronis~

Last edited:

Beat!

The Chords of Steel
Wishful thinking of my part, hopes for the volumes to fill out a lot of the off screen moments like Grubbin evolving (And i still believe Moon adventure at Aether is missing something, like the Nihilego encounter, which could correlate to Grubbin).

This chapter does feels like the plot kicked into high gear.

Moni_22

So much things happening in this chapter! So Guzma gets kidnapped? I guess they do what happened in SM where he got controlled by one. UBs destroying Ula Ula seems hardcore, and we finally know what Sun wants, I didn't expect him to have ties to Aether

iml908

I'm glad the story is picking up. I just hope the arc doesn't get too rushed, cause this kind of feels climactic-ish.

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
OK, OK. Things are heating up. Glad to see we finally get Sun's backstory after the cliffhanger from two chapters ago wasn't resolved last month.

Though I have to wonder, who bought the land from Sun's great-grandfather? In the games, Aether was founded by Lusamine's father.

So, the summoned UBs are Xurkitree (again) and Nihilego? I was expecting Blacephalon and Stakataka since they were the only "regular" UBs to have yet to debut. Nihilego's plot-important, and Poipole's special since it can evolve and is associated with the Ultra Recon Squad. But I guess if Nihilego is here now, then Lusamine will become active now.

...Didn't the preview for this volume imply Colress was gonna show up? Guess things changed, though he can still appear later.

I'm surprised Looker's here. Whenever two simultaneously running arcs share a plot element, Kusaka usually tends avoid having said plot element show up until the first arc (chronologically) is done with it. For example, Ruby and Sapphire didn't show up in Emerald until after the RS arc ended. And the petrified Dex holders weren't mentioned at all until FRLG ended, which is how we found out they were petrified to begin with.

I guess he didn't have much of an option since B2W2 isn't over yet (and even without delays, it wouldn't realistically be over either way), but he could've just used Anabel alone.

Also, no evolution for Rowlet? I mean, it's been a volume since Litten evolved. I guess it could evolve after a training session, like how Salame and Marisso evolved in XY.

I'm glad the story is picking up. I just hope the arc doesn't get too rushed, cause this kind of feels climactic-ish.

No way this can be finished in a single volume, though. We're still missing a lot of relevant Pokemon (Legendaries, UBs, evolutions for our heroes' Pokemon), characters (Hapu, Mina, the URS, maybe Mohn), etc.

Anabel is the one that intrigues me most. Makes me wonder what her setting in PKSP will be. A faller from another world? Or the same Anabel we knew?

ORAS completely omitted the "Mega Evolution timeline" thing, so unless there's two of Anabel running around, I'm guessing the same individual.

Plus, in the ORAS finale, Emerald mentioned having to go talk to the Frontier Brains about something. Could it be they were going to tell him Anabel would be joining the International Police?

Last edited:
Maybe they just dropped the Faller term altogether. Wasn't it considered dark or something? I know anabel and looker show up in USM, but that was just for the Battle Tree.
Any update on BW2?

DuquÊ?

Too lazy to pick a pic
Things are getting better and better. It's good we're having more action, but I don't like Lusamine is having so few scenes, despite be the end boss. More, I fear she'll have the Ghetsis treatment and be perpetually calm until the end, with no signs of lose her cool, but...

I like how they're making Guzma an actual threat, even if he's simply Lusamine's henchman, and the twist with Sun is very original (I was actually expecting his plot was something related to Mohn and the poke pelago, though). See Anabel and Looker now sounds like the things could be rushed, but, since we're still missing Hapu, Mina and the Ultra Recon Squad, I suppose we'll still have, what, 20 more chapters?

e9310103838

I think this may have happened after ORAS 10 years:

ORAS→(3 years later) DPPt→(3 years later) BW→(2 years later) B2W2→(2 years later) SM (2 month later of XY ending).

This coincides with the game timeline that Anabel was found by international police.

And I think the Anabel is the same person and no amnesia in here, because if she lost her memory, then ORAS will probably be a bad ending XD :p

Darthlord7

The Smug Pikachu
I really like where this is going. I love how Sun's objective is actually tied with the Aether Foundation and the fact that he is saving up money to buy back his great grandpa's island from Aether is a very original storyline for Pokemon. Guzma seems unable to control the UBs he brought to Alola and was kidnapped by them as they keep causing havoc. Regarding Anabel, well I'm interested in seeing what kind of role she will play here.

Blue Saturday

Unfurl your Blessed Wings!
Sun's money motives are essentially a redux of Nami's from One Piece, was kind of hoping for something a little less obvious or it just turns out Sun's greedy :p

Gamzee Makara

Flirtin' With Disaster
Grey=/= good writing and interesting characterization. And this is not B2W2.

I'm betting Sun ends up w/ a LOT of surplus cash by the end of this. And good on him for having a legit reason to further fight Aether, since they used his Great-Grandfather's land to unleash extradimensional hellbeasts on Alola.

lolipiece

Staff member
Grey=/= good writing and interesting characterization.

Depends on how it's done.

And this is not B2W2.

And...that has to do with what, exactly? You're the only one to bring it up.

And good on him for having a legit reason to further fight Aether, since they used his Great-Grandfather's land to unleash extradimensional hellbeasts on Alola.

Lusamine did it, not Aether as a whole.

And we don't even know if Aether Paradise is the island they took.

Gamzee Makara

Flirtin' With Disaster
Depends on how it's done.

And...that has to do with what, exactly? You're the only one to bring it up.

Lusamine did it, not Aether as a whole.

And we don't even know if Aether Paradise is the island they took.
Not always equal. You're taking it too literally.

The B2W2 protagonists are an example of GOOD grey protagonists. I like context clues. It was one of my favorite subjects in school.

Yeah? She IS Aether, though. Unless you are speculating on the depiction of her father or any higher authority being depicted in this series...funny how someone who is a Bulbapedia admin should speculate to counter speculation...

(Please forgive the joke...I have heard of and seen some legendary battles over what is blind speculation vs an educated guess, and/or how speculation is either one big bad no-no or a tiered, multi-layered concept that should be treated as such, over there...)

We don't have 100% certainty , but it's more likely than not or nothing coming of it.

Lucky3

Sun's money motives are essentially a redux of Nami's from One Piece, was kind of hoping for something a little less obvious or it just turns out Sun's greedy :p
But I always thought Blue was supposed to be the Nami of Pokespe :p

To be honest, I would have liked if Sun's motivation turned out to be more selfish. Like buying something cool he likes for himself or anything like that. Because at the end of the day, Sun just wants to get paid for his work, and there's nothing inherently wrong with that, so he wouldn't have been unlikable without a tragic justification.

And it would have been a nice contrast to Moon's penchant for selflessness, which could lead to conflict between the two and character development.

lolipiece

Staff member
You know, I had a horrible thought. Kusaka made it a point to have Sun's motivation be tied to his great-grandfather.

Could Sun's be doing this because his great-grandfather died? The guy would be pretty old at this point if he were alive.

However, the worse alternative is that he is dying, but I don't think even Pokespe would go that route.

But, Sun is awfully impatient when it comes to collecting money. He even noted that he had to get the money "as soon as possible".

It would be an interesting parallel to Moon's problem with the poisoned Piplup.

Last edited:

e9310103838

But I always thought Blue was supposed to be the Nami of Pokespe :p

To be honest, I would have liked if Sun's motivation turned out to be more selfish. Like buying something cool he likes for himself or anything like that. Because at the end of the day, Sun just wants to get paid for his work, and there's nothing inherently wrong with that, so he wouldn't have been unlikable without a tragic justification.

And it would have been a nice contrast to Moon's penchant for selflessness, which could lead to conflict between the two and character development.

They do this with Lack-two and Whi-two... :D

Zipper4242

Bewear is the most powerful being in the universe.
You know, I had a horrible thought. Kusaka made it a point to have Sun's motivation be tied to his great-grandfather.

Could Sun's be doing this because his great-grandfather died? The guy would be pretty old at this point if he were alive.

However, the worse alternative is that he is dying, but I don't think even Pokespe would go that route.

But, Sun is awfully impatient when it comes to collecting money. He even noted that he had to get the money "as soon as possible".

It would be an interesting parallel to Moon's problem with the poisoned Piplup.

It's incredibly morbid, but I think that it would make for a pretty good character arc, and yes, a good parallel to Moon and the poisoned penguin. I feel like the best Spe character arcs (minus the Sinnoh trio) are fueled by tragedy- Ruby and the deaths of his dad/Steven/that Magma admin whose name I forgot, Green/Silver and their traumatic childhoods, etc, so it would probably make for some really good characterization of Sun if the past is any example.

Beat!

The Chords of Steel
So according to Yamamoto there will be a large amount of edits and corrections on the third Sun and Moon volume that weren't originally in Coro Coro.
Only 23 days left to find out.

Status
Not open for further replies.