• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Jun Owada replaces Maki Kodaira as director of PM2019

Mirage707

TPC simping for mobile cash shop money since 2016.
Hopefully this new director doesn't have a hard-on for Goh like the old one did. Old director had that SIDEKICK (not "co-protagonist") Goh looking like an op main character from a shitty isekai manga.

Tabasco Boshi

★★★★★
In general the show seems to be very picky on what criticisms it wants to address. In some ways, XY was kind of addressing things that caused backlash on BW (Ash's "skill" even if I'm fine with how he was portrayed there). Similary, SM did the same in regards to XY by having Ash win the Alola League.

Could be coincidences, but I dunno, I do think they end up getting aware of what we didn't like but only focus on things that seem to be significant
Yeah, now it feels like they are trying to fix those "Ash is stuck in school" complaints by making him go everywhere only to fail miserably at it because everything feels super disconnected. It seems that, after all, the old formula was the one that worked the best.

Last edited:

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
Yeah, now it feels like they are trying to fix those "Ash is stuck in school" complaints by making go everywhere only to fail miserably at it because everything feels super disconnected. It seems that, after all, the old formula was the one that worked the best.
The old formula would work best if they cut the weekly schedule down to a 2 cour schedule and cut out all the filler and almost filler.

D

Deleted member 384931

Journeys drives on two things:

1. Returns and nostalgia

2. Goh

RafaSceptile

Yeah, now it feels like they are trying to fix those "Ash is stuck in school" complaints by making him go everywhere only to fail miserably at it because everything feels super disconnected. It seems that, after all, the old formula was the one that worked the best.
With the Weekly Schedule, the old formula aged like milk. You can't use the same formula Weekly during 20 years

Last edited:

Tabasco Boshi

★★★★★
With the Weekly Schedule, the old formula aged like milk. You can't use the same formula Weekly during 20 years
I'm pretty sure you can. Detective Conan, Doraemon, Shin Chan, three very different series, the first one having a continuous story but with a very formulaic episodes, have been doing that. What you can't do is be 13 years into the story and start making strange decisions changing established characters's personalities and abilities, change them again 3 years later, again 6 years later and so on. Or start avoiding/forgetting recurring characters. It's also the first big change in art style, the first background music reboot, etc.

When I say old formula I mean OS-DP. I know BW and XY kept the formula but we all know nothing ever felt the same after DP ended.

Last edited:

Dephender

Gizakawayusu
Staff member

The show always had a weekly schedule, and keeping the same formula is generally what successful long-runners DO. They know the formula works and they know the fanbase enjoy the formula. Starting to radically experiment with it is risky and often leads to parts of the fanbase dropping the show because they don't like the changes.

mystreon

the elder eevee
The show always had a weekly schedule, and keeping the same formula is generally what successful long-runners DO. They know the formula works and they know the fanbase enjoy the formula. Starting to radically experiment with it is risky and often leads to parts of the fanbase dropping the show because they don't like the changes.
I feel this doubley so with journys, not only are they experimenting,, they are failing and falling on there face compared to the previous two series.

Remix2

IMO, I think real change will start if they get rid of tomiyasu since to me he no where near ready to run a series at this point and it shows(the af arc and necromza arc also prove my case)

Last edited:

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
Oh hell no, not y'all acting like continuing the old stale formula would have been better
Thank GOD modern Pokémon changed things up, otherwise I probably would have quit the anime. Changing it up is what kept me invested, breaking the stagnancy, actually feeling like Ash is going somewhere now, new and unique fillers, new settings, new experimentation. Those long running shows you are mentioning are stale af, after the first many episodes, one starts to lose interest and just give up. This new change has kept me thoroughly invested throughout the years. Journeys has lots of problems, not following the original stale formula ISNT one of them, I'd rather this then another old formula series. Jeez

PsychoLogical

Black and White, Yin and Yang, Light and Dark.
Just to say this, using the same formula for years in long running shows doesn't tend to work out forever and that changes technically will be needed in order to adapt with modern times and so on.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
That is the danger. If something is on for 20 years and nothing changes, it gets stale or bad. I mean look at Spongebob, season 1-4 were great, after that it dropped and cant seem to regain that glory
It doesn’t matter how long a show runs for. It can run for a much shorter time and get stale if it’s not interesting. What really matters is how they handle maintaining the formula. I watched most, if not all, of the series and the only thing that got stale to me were boring fillers and, to me, that mostly phased out after Johto.

Spongebob gets flak for its modern seasons because the characters are dumbed down to clichè character archetypes and humor that’s way more in your face than the older seasons. There are shows that have had long run times, kept the same formula and have remained interesting. Just because some of you got bored of the formula doesn’t mean it’s bad.

PsychoLogical

Black and White, Yin and Yang, Light and Dark.
Detective conan is pretty fun even though it hasn't changed for over 20 years. Change is not always a good thing and JN has proved that they can't handle it.
I'm pretty sure there's a difference. Series like Detective Conan has an original source in the form of the manga while Pokemon is entirely original and not going through sources like manga or novels. In long running original series like Pokemon, keeping the same formula doesn't tend to last long and they would unfortunately be faced with needing to adapt/make changes at some extent to keep up with the changing times or if they hit some sort of roadblock, like it or not.

CMButch

Kanto is love. Kanto is life.
Those long running shows you are mentioning are stale af,
I didn't watch shows that Boshi mentioned. But I did watch shows that are "stale" like Scooby Doo, South Park which are stale by default but that doesn't mean bad nor boring. Even if Pokemon changed to old formula again, it wouldn't be bad or boring. Maybe to you they would be. I am grateful because at least we got Pokemon anime no matter if it's old or new formula( Ash, TR, Pikachu battling, helping, meeting new Pokemon)

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
Detective conan is pretty fun even though it hasn't changed for over 20 years. Change is not always a good thing and JN has proved that they can't handle it.
That's literally such a bad comparisons lol. JN is flawed rn, I agree but one of its strongest suit is it being new and more flexible then the old anipoke series, even if some stuff aren't that good. Pokémon had grown stale to me from its old formula
I didn't watch shows that Boshi mentioned. But I did watch shows that are "stale" like Scooby Doo, South Park which are stale by default but that doesn't mean bad nor boring. Even if Pokemon changed to old formula again, it wouldn't be bad or boring. Maybe to you they would be. I am grateful because at least we got Pokemon anime no matter if it's old or new formula( Ash, TR, Pikachu battling, helping, meeting new Pokemon)
Ig difference of opinion, for me Pokémon had become quite stale with the same old formula. Sure it would have its moments, but the new change is so much more better then continuing the old structure for me and is the reason why I'm still invested in this anime

RafaSceptile

But Scooby Doo also have those changes. Scooby Doo Mystery Incorporated is the example about how even long-run animes needs to improvise and change things eventually.