• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

June 17th: PM2019 115 - The Curtain Rises! The Masters Tournament!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GLTSRY

Sorry not sorry for my smugness
I am hoping the losers of the first round battle each other too. Good way for additional scenes and to see who ranks where.
No way that they will make this extra effort, especially considering that supposedly, only Ash’s battles were going to be animated at first.

Zweilous

Go-ing for Gold
Naturally being angry? More than likely but then again he's never smiling in any of his sprites so, still funny
He just has resting stink face.

Last edited:

Master Pikachu 11

Lol, imagine being so delusional thinking that Ash is not battling Cynthia. It has been teased since the very beginning of the PWC, Ash will battle Cynthia and Leon.
Plus she is the only other Champion besides Leon that has appeared in multiple episodes of this series so yeah I expect him to take her on as well.

deliaketchum

so the formula for semi finals is
1st match Strong trainer wins (leon)
2nd match underdog wins (diantha)
3rd match Strong trainer wins (cynthia)
4th match umderdog wims (Ash)

Belowski

We already know who ranks where; they clearly laid out the rankings, and I'd assume Ash is the only one whose rank doesn't reflect his strength.
Plus we've got Ash facing the #3, #2, and #1 trainers in that order. Tournaments in anime typically have the protagonist face progressively stronger opponents each round.

Pepsi_Plunge

Dojyaaa~~aan
It didn't.

Your perspective is a combination of your bias for Iris; as well as the fact that the other match-ups are all dull, random and underwhelming that have no narrative pay-off and/or stakes to them, which results in the Iris vs. Cynthia standing out as the best among the worst.
The stakes are being the best in the world and most of the characters are champions of their regions, do you need to create artificial drama between the champions and conviniently have the ones with conflicts battle each other for it to be "interesting"? the fact that these are best 8 people in the world and they are battling for that titles is enough.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
The stakes are being the best in the world and most of the characters are champions of their regions, do you need to create artificial drama between the champions and conviniently have the ones with conflicts battle each other for it to be "interesting"? the fact that these are best 8 people in the world and they are battling for that titles is enough.
That "stake" is not a real personal stake for most of the Champions involved. It's just another pat in the back for them. It's exactly the same for all the participants in the Alola League: more than a half of them had no real business even being there.

It's not like winning will secure them to do something they must do with a title. The whole tourney is basically a chance to get bragging rights (if Ash gets it, expect him to forget about it the next saga so no one knows in Spain).

DayQuil95

I'm quite satisfied with two matchups:

Lance vs Diantha - Looks like it's going to have mid animation from the previews, but still is the most unpredictable battle here, and has a nice synergy with his Diantha seems to have prepared to counter Lance's team, with Aurorus vs Dragonite and Gardevoir vs Hydreigon.

Cynthia vs Iris - Not only does the animation looks spectacular based on the previews, but it's an excellent rematch for a battle that happened wayyyy back in BW. Although Iris is definitely the underdog here, and the writers would probably not lose the opportunity to have Ash vs Cynthia.

While Leon vs Alain has potential on paper, but when we got confirmation that it's going to be half an episode I lost hope for this, they will probably just use Alain as fodder to show that Leon's Charizard is still pretty strong even without gimmicks. Doesn't help that it seems like it's from the same episode as Lance vs Diantha, which is looking like it will have mid animation with that slideshow Moon Blast from Gardevoir.

Ash vs Steven is... Alright Ig? Unpredictable to say the least? Steven is the champion with the least synergy to Ash, he has already interacted with all the others, but Steven never had anything too significant with Ash. At least Ash is now facing Pokemon that he never faced before in this one, like Cradily and Mega Metagross, but why Steven when any other champion would have been so much more interesting is beyond me.

Status
Not open for further replies.