• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

June 21st: PM2019 025 - A Battle Festival Exploding With Life! VS Mega Lucario!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mew29240

How overkill would be if Ash could use mega evolution, Ash-greninja, z-moves and dyna/gigantamax? I'd fail to see how he could lose to Leon using all of these.

Not to mention things like Infernape with his Blaze and the Mythical he's got chilling in Alola...I feel sorry for any poor fool that dares to approach them.

Mew29240

G-Max Charizard hax.

I wonder how long Dynamax/Gigantamax lasts in the anime. We've yet to see one revert to normal size because of a time limit. I hope the anime doesn't always just have one Max mon defeat the other. It would be neat to see how trainers plan/try to stall out the transformation time if they used their Max for the battle already.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
How overkill would be if Ash could use mega evolution, Ash-greninja, z-moves and dyna/gigantamax? I'd fail to see how he could lose to Leon using all of these.

Ash-Greninja with Hydro Vortex (or Pikachu using 10000volt Thunderbolt so the mouse gets his quota), Mega Charizard Y and G-Max Gengar would be quite epic if you ask me.

(even if I'm not a fan of neither Gengar nor its G-max)

There's no rank in the show.

Alain beat her last.

Did it ever occur to you that they did that to give us even more Lucario?
Even Fantina got more development than Mayleen.

In the anime the most developed female gym leaders besides Misty and Claire are Gardenia, Candice, Elesa, Skyla, Viola and Korrina.

I don't remember Fantina growing as a character while Maylene did.

Man, nowadays, Misty have M-gyarados (anime, at least) and she's the second leader. Let it go.
Gym leaders change teams based on the opponents level. I don't think Falkner would use Pidgeot against a starting trainer with Chikorita. There are other examples like Winona and her Skarmory plus Volkner and his Raichu.

While Korrina did use her ace in the match and went all out.
It's not like the main characters disappeared for five episodes and worldbuilding with different characters with their own personal hang-ups is a feature I see great value in.

Personally, I like Lucario, so the pandering is fine.
That's the thing right there. People who are sick of the pandering won't go back to watch that arc.

The show would be horribly boring if they only focused on the main cast and no other characters that make ip the world, this complaint will never not be silly.

What about overexposing characters? Not just humans, Pokemon as well.

Last edited:

Decidueye23

Pikachu - Gigantamax
Charizard - Mega X
Sceptile - Overgrow
Infernape - Blaze
Greninja - BattleBond
Lycanrock - Splintered Stomshards

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Pikachu - Gigantamax
Charizard - Mega X
Sceptile - Overgrow
Infernape - Blaze
Greninja - BattleBond

Super Blaze, please! :p

Anyway, I like this line up. A lot of type diversity and overall solid picks as far as regional aces go.

Pkjoan

Pokemon Master
Pikachu - Gigantamax
Charizard - Mega X
Sceptile - Overgrow
Infernape - Blaze
Greninja - BattleBond

Sceptile is the odd one there. Not because he's not one of Ash most powerful Pokemon, but because he has no special ability like the rest. We could give him a Mega Evolution but I believe the rule of one mega per battle applies to the anime too.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Hanto said:
Really would like to see a proper tournament arc just like Tag Battle Tournament in Sinnoh or various Don George cup, not a one-episode rushed festival.

While I'd normally love a tournament mini-arc, I wouldn't be interested in seeing one this time around if the cost is us seeing Corni and her Mega Lucario hog the spotlight for several episodes. That already happened in XY and I'd like something slightly less irritating this time around, so a one-off appearance would be preferable.

DuquÊ?

Too lazy to pick a pic
What about overexposing characters? Not just humans, Pokemon as well.

- Headscratches-

Do you mean, like, have the same pokemon doing important things each saga? Okay, I'll give you that, as species, lucario was part of relevant moments since its debut.

Okay in Sinnoh, its home region, and Kalos, because of the megas' lore. In Unova, was unnecessary. Unfocused in Alola, just there to complete Kukui's team. If anything, Alola was actually generous with everyone tired of lucario, it was treated like any mon.

Eh, I can understand that lucario generally have big things going to it, I got tired of see any charizard ever bar Ash's too, but I think it's part of the marketing (and laziness). Also, I do hope we have a good amount of episodes focusing on riolu first, before any evolution.

Sceptile is the odd one there. Not because he's not one of Ash most powerful Pokemon, but because he has no special ability like the rest. We could give him a Mega Evolution but I believe the rule of one mega per battle applies to the anime too.

Sceptile is actually a good example compared to the others. It hadn't a special training in a special place, a supernatural ability or flashy special moves, just a good hard working training and it was enough. If anything, it was Ash's first fully evolved starter to actually rely in Ash's training only and it worked.

ShadowForce720

Did it occur to you that it was probably because

1. She was the most recognizable gym leader from the anime
2. Alain's whole thing before the league was defeating megas and Korrina is the only gym leader shown to have one

Just pointing this out but Korrina is actually not the only Gym Leader in Kalos that has a Mega Evolution as Wulfric has a Mega Evolution as well.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Just pointing out we could have had a simple montage of Alain steamrolling every other Gym but only Korrina's was shown (and judging locations her gym was literally on the other side of the region while Wulfric's was basically several feet away, so...).

It's like you live in Florida and you ask your mom to buy you some Doritos, but she goes to Washington.

Last edited:

Lunanight

Gym leaders change teams based on the opponents level. I don't think Falkner would use Pidgeot against a starting trainer with Chikorita. There are other examples like Winona and her Skarmory plus Volkner and his Raichu.

While Korrina did use her ace in the match and went all out.

I actually think Falkner would use Pidgeot against a starting trainer with Chikorita, but only if said starting trainer knocked out both Hoothoot and Dodtrio first, then Falkner would just use Pidgeot as his final Pokemon like he did with Ash. It would also be very likely that the starting trainer would lose to Dodrio without ever seeing Falkner's final Pokemon. In this scenario, the starting trainer would lose at least 2 or 3 times to Falkner before finally getting a badge, assuming they didn't just skip Volkner to challenge an easier gym and/or completely give up their journey (like the other 2 trainers from Pallet Town other than Ash and Gary).

Gym leaders only change their teams according to the opponent's levels in the games, and also in Origins (which is based on the games). In the actual anime, we see that the gym leaders always go all out (barring rare exceptions) in matches, using their ace Pokemon. The most notable example was Elesa sweeping Bianca 3-0 with one Pokemon, and this one is interesting since its the only time we see a gym leader sweep someone 3-0 on-screen. A minor example would be Clemont using his ace Luxray to beat Sawyer who only had at most 2 badges (possibly even no badges), in what was very likely an off-screen 3-0 sweep. Also, basically every gym leader except Volkner used their ace Pokemon against Ash.

Ash vs Korrina had the added bonus of Korrina not just using her ace Pokemon, but actually using Mega Evolution against a trainer who couldn't Mega Evolve their Pokemon. Korrina's Mega Lucario would beat most of Ash's reserves in a 1-vs-1 battle pretty handedly, and even Base Lucario would still beat several of Ash's reserves 1-vs-1. The idea that gym leaders hold back against challengers according to their badge count is mixing up the anime with the games (and by proxy, with Origins). The instances of a gym leader handicapping themselves are exceptions, not the rule, and are usually pointed out in-universe (e.g. Ash vs Roxie).

Even with Volkner, its still possible (but admittedly unlikely) that Raichu was formerly Volkner's strongest Pokemon many years ago in his past, but not during DP. Obviously, its still a massive of holding back since Raichu should still be above Electivire or Jolteon. It might Volkner's 'main' Pokemon but it doesn't have to be his current ace, similar to how Ash's main Pokemon (Pikachu) is arguably not his consistently strongest one (Charizard). Either way, Volkner holding back with Raichu is the exception to the norm.

Mew29240

Pikachu - Gigantamax
Charizard - Mega X
Sceptile - Overgrow
Infernape - Blaze
Greninja - BattleBond

I'd lean towards giving Sceptile the Mega Evolution, honestly. I know Mega Charizard is a big fan favorite pick for Ash, but Charizard is powerful (and iconic) enough by himself. Sceptile needs a bit more going for him and Ash having a Pokemon that is immune to Electric attacks will cover for Greninja/Charizard's Electric weakness

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Sceptile is actually a good example compared to the others. It hadn't a special training in a special place, a supernatural ability or flashy special moves, just a good hard working training and it was enough. If anything, it was Ash's first fully evolved starter to actually rely in Ash's training only and it worked.

I've never thought about it this way but it makes complete sense.

Makes his victory against Tobias' Darkrai even more satisfying.

I'd lean towards giving Sceptile the Mega Evolution, honestly. I know Mega Charizard is a big fan favorite pick for Ash, but Charizard is powerful (and iconic) enough by himself. Sceptile needs a bit more going for him and Ash having a Pokemon that is immune to Electric attacks will cover for Greninja/Charizard's Electric weakness

Depending on what's coming next for Gen 9, Charizard could get said gimmick while Sceptile gets the mega?

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros

2. Alain's whole thing before the league was defeating megas and Korrina is the only gym leader shown to have one
1) Clemont is right there js. And if you’d want to argue she’s stronger than him...
2) As someone above said, Wulfric. But more importantly, if Brock and Misty can get off screen buffs, why can’t Clemont(or anyone else)? It’d seem plausible for him, someone who wants to understand Pokémon more for both battle and science, to talk to not only another Gym Leader, but also his father (who owns an Electric Mega) and the regional professor who lives in the same city as him/having familiarity with. Him showing up up with a Ampharos that was an Egg from his father’s and given a corresponding Mega Stone would be interesting.

Though it makes sense for Korrina to comeback, I doubt using Lucario’s marketability wasn’t a part of it.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Cptnmac1 said:

While it's true that she's one of the most recognizable Gym Leaders, I think that her being a Lucario user has more to do with her return here than her general popularity does, especially since her showcasing Lucario could benefit Satoshi's Riolu's development.

Status
Not open for further replies.