• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

June 21st: PM2019 025 - A Battle Festival Exploding With Life! VS Mega Lucario!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Longtime fan here, now parent of a 4yo son. Love him to death and he's quite smart. We've recently watched Sun and Moon together - but he can't seem to remember what happened two episodes prior to Ultra Necrozma showing up if asked.

He had much more fun watching the first season of OS (on Netflix, which for some reason has deleted the 2nd season (Cinnabar until Indigo League and Orange Islands).

Kids have a tough time keeping up with things like that.

They probably see as the current trend on television: episodic stories as opposed to serialized storytelling. As in: they might think today's technology and all the facilities it gives humans had made kids have smaller attention spams so they wouldn't be invested on ongoing stories.

Maybe the Yokai Watch craze is still lingering on them and they think that's the way to go, despite Pokémon being, on its very core, a story that needs to be serialized. Even when they really tried to go full YW with SM, they still end up having some form of ongoing plot. It's on Pokémon very nature and it's unskipable.

They'd be better just trying to follow the "Jim Shooter logic" and approach each "issue" (episode) in a way any of them can be an entry point IMHO
That's true actually. Make a 10yo watch a 50s flick or read a book like War and Peace. They will most likely fail to keep up with it.

On Topic: If there is no change in Lucario's moveset then I would really like to see how it will fair against Gengar. What if Bone Rush gets disabled due to Cursed Body? Can Lucario do anything after that?

dman_dustin

Kids have a tough time keeping up with things like that.

That's true actually. Make a 10yo watch a 50s flick or read a book like War and Peace. They will most likely fail to keep up with it.

On Topic: If there is no change in Lucario's moveset then I would really like to see how it will fair against Gengar. What if Bone Rush gets disabled due to Cursed Body? Can Lucario do anything after that?

It's not a permanent disable so it just needs to likely constantly use Sword Dance and wait until the effects where off, and then slam Gengar with the equivalent of a +6 attack on bone rush, and goodbye Gengar (also dodging Gengar's attacks as well somehow).

It's not a permanent disable so it just needs to likely constantly use Sword Dance and wait until the effects where off, and then slam Gengar with the equivalent of a +6 attack on bone rush, and goodbye Gengar (also dodging Gengar's attacks as well somehow).

In the Anime these kinds of things are permanent. Remember in Conway battle during Sinnoh League Trick Room lasted the entire battle. I don't think I have seen Confusion wearing off by itself.

Mew29240

They'll probably make sure to give Lucario a Steel-Type move just for this purpose. Last time they battled, Lucario used Metal Sound, Aura Sphere, Power-Up Punch, and Bone Rush (Aura Sphere seemingly replacing Swords Dance).

Metal Sound get easily be replaced with an offensive Steel-Type move like Metal Claw/Meteor Mash or they could replace Power-Up Punch (she seems to like this move in XY though).

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
In the Anime these kinds of things are permanent. Remember in Conway battle during Sinnoh League Trick Room lasted the entire battle. I don't think I have seen Confusion wearing off by itself.
In XY, Valerie's Trick Room was only temporary though. Acerola's Gengar's Cursed Body was also only temporary

ShadowForce720

In XY, Valerie's Trick Room was only temporary though. Acerola's Gengar's Cursed Body was also only temporary

However in Sun and Moon while Acerola’s Gengar’s Cursed Body was only temporary, it was also shown that while it’s active the afflicted Pokémon can not move at all until it wares off.

Dephender

Gizakawayusu
Staff member
No, I definitely think it would be interesting, I just see no proof that the scenario which he laid out may happen currently.

Yes, the episodic format is a detriment to the show and brings down the entire anime. Why the producers decided to go this route I will never know nor I will never understand.

I think it's due to the timeslot, as apparently that's a more family friendly timeslot, so I guess they want to keep it episodic.
My favorite format is the one many western cartoons used the past decade, in that there's clearly an underlying major plot, but the episodes themselves tended to be their own stories

They've specifically said that since Pocket Monsters airs on a Sunday night, where the chance of a kid missing the occasional episode because they're doing family stuff or hanging out with friends is quite high, they don't want it to be the kind of show where you have to watch absolutely every single episode or get completely lost because you're going to miss major plot points.

They've specifically said that since Pocket Monsters airs on a Sunday night, where the chance of a kid missing the occasional episode because they're doing family stuff or hanging out with friends is quite high, they don't want it to be the kind of show where you have to watch absolutely every single episode or get completely lost because you're going to miss major plot points.

Well I don’t think the format is conducive for good storytelling, but I see the logic even if I disagree with it

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
Well I don’t think the format is conducive for good storytelling, but I see the logic even if I disagree with it
I think you can create good storytelling with more episodic series, as many western cartoons have shown, but yeah, for pokemon it works better with an underlying narrative, be it through its plot or its character arcs

I think you can create good storytelling with more episodic series, as many western cartoons have shown, but yeah, for pokemon it works better with an underlying narrative, be it through its plot or its character arcs

The difference with something like Avatar the Last Airbender for example(often the most brought up show in this context), is that those episodic episodes further the narrative. Many of the episodes have specific plot points and offer nuggets of development while servicing the main narrative.

In Pokémon 2019, I’d be hard-pressed to tell you that they were able to achieve something similar. You have the PWC battles, but they offer so little narrative substance, you can basically skip them. Like the one in the beginning of the latest episode for example, it provided nothing but Ash going up in the ranks which while is something you could argue technically “ furthers the narrative “ it really doesn’t do it well cause there’s very little substance I feel.

Pokémon actually does do what you describe a lot I feel with it’s more one-off episodes where a move is learned or maybe an evolution, sometimes even training like for example in XY that one episode where Serena was training with Braixen and its stick broke, development ensues and that’s how they further the narrative. There’s actually a lot of that.

I just think that those individual episodes aren’t enough to really carry the show which I why I strongly appreciate XY coupling those with multiple arcs that add a lot more weight.

The 2019 series has hardly been a overarching narrative-avoiding series. Simply focusing on an episodic A-plot over an overarching narrative isn't very different from what the franchise has been doing since 1997.

The episodic A-plot contributed something sometimes, now not so much.

Last edited:

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
Sigh well there goes the episode I was looking forward to the most. Probably gonna take months to come back, that's depressing. 2020 spares no one

Honestly wish they got the Morpeko episode outta the way first since it is done, least the anime would be picking up with interesting episodes over a bland filler

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
And Korrina's mega lucario is way stronger than before, apparently. I know it's hype, but still hope Ash is winning here. Pikachu was trashed by Korrina's lucario everytime except in the final fight in XY, so I hope for something more balanced this time.
There's not that much to be hyped about though, since we have no idea when this episode will air (if it ever will). Though regardless of whether or not Ash wins, I'm hoping this will lead to some pretty good character development for Riolu

Remix2

First time in the Kalos region and it already have more references in it then the other regions(other then aloha) combined.

Also there might be a chance to see greninja make a cameo.

Last edited:

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
There's not that much to be hyped about though, since we have no idea when this episode will air (if it ever will). Though regardless of whether or not Ash wins, I'm hoping this will lead to some pretty good character development for Riolu
Not knowing when it’ll air doesn’t mean you can’t be hyped. Being pessimistic about it doesn’t help either. There have been signs of improvement for this pandemic so I don’t know why you’re constantly being so paranoid.

Status
Not open for further replies.