• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

June 30th: SM128 - The Curtain Rises! The Alola Pokémon League!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
Charles Goodshow needs to send in the goons to enforce some standards.

This is why I wanted to see (and am still hoping) a champion from another region enters in disguise to challenge Kakui/Royal, win and explain to him that leagues need credentials to be official.

Sure this is a tournament, but you can't call it a league because there is no challenge factor to enter.

if things go further south than they already are, then I hope those attempting to defend this realize they can't complain because they wanted this.

the only remote thing i'm looking forward to seeing is if Sophocles gets matched up with Guzma, cause I wonder if he'll still have his bugium-Z by the time Guzma's done should that happen.

pokedigijedi

Saiyan Jedi
Well at least we will be getting the 4 part (I'm predicting) disappointment out of the way soon, a shame Ash didn't get a full team of 6 this time around, but then again I don't know what I was expecting.

The bar has been set low its not even funny.

Now all that's left is for Meltan too be released and the disappointment will be complete. Unless the writer's decide to have Ash release more than two Pokemon this time around

Leonhart

Imagineer
KenzeyEevee said:
Despite that Ash fought Gladion and Hau they don't feel like rivals. Same with Ilma.

Gladio has been shown to be practically on par with Satoshi's previous rivals though, but I agree that Hau isn't quite there. I was hoping he'd have a chance to develop, but it's too late now that the League is starting in this episode. If he does show up here, it probably won't make a big difference.

Dream Lad

Banned
This is a very serious pokemon battling event where they frankly have no place in (them competing makes the league look like a joke like I get it's the first league but it's still a pokemon league it should be respected a little more) does not equate to us saying it's going to be trash or not being open minded to it proving us wrong and actually being good.

Calling this a league conference would be like calling the basketball tournament at a high school senior all night party where anybody can participate...the NBA playoffs

This is why I wanted to see (and am still hoping) a champion from another region enters in disguise to challenge Kakui/Royal, win and explain to him that leagues need credentials to be official.

Would be nice if the Champion/an Elite 4 from Galar shows up and that is the impetus for Ash to go there next.

=====================================================

Here's my ideal outcome:

Ash defeats Gladion in the Round of 16, Acerola in the semifinals, and Kahili in the finals.

Ash wins the tournament. Masked Royal/Kukui then appears and asks Ash for a 5 v 5 battle to see if he's worthy of being Champion of Alola. If Ash wins, then he declines the title (like he does in Battle Frontier) because he wants to keep traveling. If he loses, then Kukui is the Champion like in the games.

The Alola Elite 4 would be the other three semifinalists (Acerola, Kahili, Olivia) and Kukui adds in Hala to round off the group.

Red and Blue

It might not be so bad if Kukui fought the winner in a 6 vs. 6. Who knows if Ash wins Poipole could come back for that

RLC

Calling this a league conference would be like calling the basketball tournament at a high school senior all night party where anybody can participate...the NBA playoffs
Exactly the reason I have a problem with the whole cast entering the league and people not having 6 pokemon it makes the league look like a joke that people can just enter if they feel like it (it shouldn't be gyms or no gyms find some other temporary filtering technique ), they should've respected the league a little more than that. Even if the tone of this season is more carefree it shouldn't be affecting the league that has established standards

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Poipole could come back mid League like Charizard and Gliscor did

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
for all we know Braviary and Incineroar might be Kakui/Royal's only pokemon, and using either of them at the same time risk's blowing his cover.

Or the first ep like Goodra did

Goodra didn't come back until the third episode I thought, when the full battles started.

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen

Sure this is a tournament, but you can't call it a league because there is no challenge factor to enter.

if things go further south than they already are, then I hope those attempting to defend this realize they can't complain because they wanted this.

the only remote thing i'm looking forward to seeing is if Sophocles gets matched up with Guzma, cause I wonder if he'll still have his bugium-Z by the time Guzma's done should that happen.
Leagues credentials are completely arbitrary, and this is an inaugural League anyway, so it's bound to have different qualifications until they actually figure out what system they want to use. I'm thinking they'll probably decide that Trainers should complete the Island Challenge before entering the Alola League after this first one happens. It's the League whether you want it to be or not, not just some random tournament.

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
Why do people want Poipole back? Unlike Gliscor,Goodra or Charzard he knew like one attack and did nothing. Even if it did come back with a full set of moves he would just seem so out of place. Though this league feels out of place so.....

Ignition

Why do people want Poipole back? Unlike Gliscor,Goodra or Charzard he knew like one attack and did nothing. Even if it did come back with a full set of moves he would just seem so out of place. Though this league feels out of place so.....
Mainly because it’s the number one candidate for a 6th member. Solgaleo/Nebby is a bit overboard even with the tradition breaking of Mythicals being on the cast and Ash hasn’t called on his reserves for a League since Sinnoh so it seems less likely.

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
Mainly because it’s the number one candidate for a 6th member. Solgaleo/Nebby is a bit overboard even with the tradition breaking of Mythicals being on the cast and Ash hasn’t called on his reserves for a League since Sinnoh so it seems less likely.
But why does he need a 6th when everyone has less.

Ignition

But why does he need a 6th when everyone has less.
Everyone’s under the assumption that the later rounds (Top 16 and onwards) will be 6v6 Full Battles based on past Leagues. There’s no confirmation on that as the only Trainer who has a full team is Lusamine and everyone else not named Ash, Kiawe, or Gladion have 2 Pokèmon at the most confirmed.

Last edited:

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
Everyone’s under the assumption that the later rounds (Top 16 and onwards) will be 6v6 Full Battles based on past Leagues. There’s no confirmation on that as the only Trainer who has a full team is Lusamine and everyone else not named Ash, Kiawe, or Gladion have 2 Pokèmon at the most confirmed.

Honestly I think anyone using past leagues to figure this one out might be setting themselves up for a disappointment. I think it is safe to assume it will be different. With that said did not even know she was entering

Ignition

Honestly I think anyone using past leagues to figure this one out might be setting themselves up for a disappointment. I think it is safe to assume it will be different. With that said did not even know she was entering
I wasn’t saying she’s entering I’m just saying she’s the only Trainer thus far who has a full team. Sorry if I wss unclear

nuzamaki90

Ash doesn’t know if there are going to be any 6v6 battles in this league, and if there are, he’ll get a Pokemon from Oak’s lab to battle with him.

It doesn’t matter if he doesn’t know because that’s never stopped him ever before. Ash has always had a full team of 6 without relying on his Oak reserves, even in the Orange Islands and the Battle Frontier. And being that, every League he’s competed in prior has had a 6v6 round, there’s no reason for him not to expect one here. Of course he can grab onto his reserves, but not having an already complete capable team like he’s always had is very disappointing.

Also, just because a Pokemon is fully evolved doesn’t mean its going to do well. Ash’s Torterra and Noivern had terrible win rates, and Ash’s Buizel, Gible, Bulbasaur, Snivy and Corphish were all really powerful despite being not evolved.

Of course I’m not saying Ash doesn’t have strong NFE Pokémon. Pikachu is one of his strongest Pokémon after all. What I mean is that his Alolan team are NFE and also lacking any sort of achievements and big battle moments. Lycanroc has lost more battles than won, same with Torracat who barely sees usage, and Meltan hasn’t gotten to show off at all even though from what we’ve seen it can hold its own. His team just doesn’t look ready.

I encourage everyone else to keep an open mind and not just complain about how this league is going to be trash with no basis other than “Haha, it’s SM so it’s going to suck”, while completely ignoring all of the good battles and moments that’ve happened throughout this series.

I don’t think anyone is dismissing it in that way, at least in these threads. Like I said, I’ll watch it but you can’t blame people for being weary when at the POKÉMON LEAGUE, trainers are coming in with 2 Pokémon on hand.

Reactions: RLC

Doppelgänger

Superancient Member
I don’t think anyone is dismissing it in that way, at least in these threads. Like I said, I’ll watch it but you can’t blame people for being weary when at the POKÉMON LEAGUE, trainers are coming in with 2 Pokémon on hand.

I understand the frustration, but it's really a nitpick at this point. This is a Pokemon League where most of the participants have Z-Moves, and Mythical Pokemon are participating. On paper, Alola is a scary league because the small team size limits counterplay, while only Sinnoh and Kalos had threats this powerful.

Imagine if this were prior leagues in 2x2 matches were the dream killers only brought their two strongest Pokemon.

Metagross and Mega Charizard X
Lucario and Hydreigon
Darkrai and Latios

Yikes. And since Magearna has no development time, we know it's going to be a beast in battle.

I said some time ago that Lillie was going to be dangerous with her power + intelligence, but all Mallow needs to be a legitimate terror is a Gracidea Flower.

tl;dr - quality over quantity. Alola is in no shortage of quality here.

Status
Not open for further replies.