• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

June 30th: SM128 - The Curtain Rises! The Alola Pokémon League!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DatsRight

How is Ash going to screw up this time? How is the narrative going to push that him losing was not his fault? How is the fandom going to melt down? Will PAD break its rage record from the Kalos League? Who is going to win?

Honestly, I really don't want this league. One, it doesn't feel like the focus of the series. I prefer a more SoL series that SM succeeds at being. I'm happy for Kukui, but that's it.

I kinda liked having a big event that made everyone more proactive as trainers, but I'd have preferred separate agendas for each trainer. Not to mention they kinda left it too late for everyone to believably raise their battle experience besides them all getting a Z Ring. It feels like a really delicate dance for the non-battlers as well since while them just being eliminated instantly would be pointless I don't really like the idea of them just abruptly being pros at something Ash and Kiawe trained and worked to be good at either. HOPEFULLY we might get some fun but moderated character driven battles that play on each trainer's teams and experience levels, but I don't know, this show is known for its bad plot armour.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
How is Ash going to screw up this time? How is the narrative going to push that him losing was not his fault? How is the fandom going to melt down? Will PAD break its rage record from the Kalos League? Who is going to win?
By fighting Ilima. A defeat by his hands only means the overused "Ash has got much to learn" to continue his eternal travels, racking up his league losses.

And to us, it'll be more pathetic, since Ilima is practically the first Trial Captain people can beat in the game.

JustAStatistic

Super Casual Trainer
Honestly, the main draw of this league for me is seeing how well the companions do and how it affects their development post-league (especially Lillie and Gladion). And while the execution definitely needs improvement, I'd like it if the idea of Ash's companions taking part in the league came back for a future series.

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
I'm kind of excited for this League. Kalos' outcome was obvious from the second Alain decided to enter. This one is more nebulous and unpredictable.

Swift4Sweeper

Author Trainer
I'm kind of excited for this League. Kalos' outcome was obvious from the second Alain decided to enter. This one is more nebulous and unpredictable.

I have to disagree. Even if there are more recurring faces in this league, 2-1 odds that Ash loses and the cycle starts all over again with Galar at the end of the year.

Doppelgänger

Superancient Member
If we go by the old formula of introducing the dream killer late, Sawyer should have ended Ash's Kalos run, not Alain. I love the Ash-Greninja/Mega Sceptile sequence but that victory stretches logic and really shafts Sawyer's development. His story arc has a no satisfying payoff.

The closest character we have like that in SM is Sophocles, and I wouldn't be too upset if he won. But Ilima, Hau can bugger off.

Dream Lad

Banned
How is the fandom going to melt down?

There will be nothing to melt. We've all left the Alolan sun for the grey Galar skies.

I can't be excited because anyone would just have to get their own first Pokemon and presto, they can compete in the league right away.

Charles Goodshow needs to send in the goons to enforce some standards.

DatsRight

If we go by the old formula of introducing the dream killer late, Sawyer should have ended Ash's Kalos run, not Alain. I love the Ash-Greninja/Mega Sceptile sequence but that victory stretches logic and really shafts Sawyer's development. His story arc has a no satisfying payoff.

The closest character we have like that in SM is Sophocles, and I wouldn't be too upset if he won. But Ilima, Hau can bugger off.

The problem is that Sophocles has only had ONE battle to practice. Still a better one for development than the girls for the large part but still, Ash getting beaten by Sophocles at this point would be a humiliation.

Truthfully I'm expecting Kukui to be the final round for Ash, especially since it would call back to the second episode where Kukui's plan to battle him was cut short.

The league limbo is something I'm used to really, just make the ride good. There are other things I'd like from SM to change the status quo, like the changes in formula being maintained, Matori staying a rival for Team Rocket and maybe Delia getting to keep Torracat. XY's defeat was annoying (but predictable and thus hard to be devastated by), since it meant with that and the other closing episodes, anything about the series that could freshen the show in years to come was negated. People expected XY to be the big game changer series when ironically it was the most self contained one so far.

Last edited:

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
I have to disagree. Even if there are more recurring faces in this league, 2-1 odds that Ash loses and the cycle starts all over again with Galar at the end of the year.
Oh, I have no doubt that he'll lose (it's really helpful to have zero expectations of victory in the League)...I'm just saying Ash vs. Alain in the finals was obvious for Kalos.

Kintaro

Banned

Shota was the XY version of Barry. A rival introduced late in the series but still there to be the underdog to Ash. Barry lost to Ash 3 times if I remember correctly, only time he beat Ash is against his newly caught Gible. Shota was never intended to beat Ash. The AG version was also Morrison, introduced a few eps before the league but he was destined to lose to Ash.

Leonhart

Imagineer
TheWanderingMist said:

I disagree somewhat regarding this one being unpredictable, because even though this League is different from the others, I feel like the sheer amount of main characters competing is a sign that the whole thing will be treated as a friendly tournament more than the apex of Satoshi's SM development, so I don't think we're in for a surprise.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Whoe else thinks we'll have a few double battles? It just seems likely, with many characters only having 2 mons and SM in general having quite a few double battles (I think only AG beats it in double battle quantity, but I'm not sure). Also, huh, seems like the sunday slot has its advantages, we've had no breaks since the timeslot changed aside from christmas, if so, SM may have a few more episodes than we expected
I’d hope so. We haven’t had Double Battles in the League since their introduction in AG

OniCornwalis

And finally, Ash. Five Pokémon. What a time to be alive where Ash pulls a Cameron. Ash could always go for using his older Pokémon, most likely his Kanto teammates, but that’s only a possibility. I’ve never been so disappointed in Ash’s lineup at the League before and if it weren’t for the Z-Moves I wouldn’t even think he was League ready. How do you go from a full fully evolved team in the previous saga to this? Sheesh.
Ash is not pulling a Cameron. Pulling a Cameron is knowing that there are going to be 6v6 battles, and then entering the round without a 6th Pokemon. Ash doesn’t know if there are going to be any 6v6 battles in this league, and if there are, he’ll get a Pokemon from Oak’s lab to battle with him.

Also, just because a Pokemon is fully evolved doesn’t mean its going to do well. Ash’s Torterra and Noivern had terrible win rates, and Ash’s Buizel, Gible, Bulbasaur, Snivy and Corphish were all really powerful despite being not evolved.

For Mallow, she was the one who helped Ash learn the pose for the grass Z-move, so I could see her learning it pretty quickly.

Now, I do agree that Hau should’ve gotten another episode before the league, Snowy should’ve learned another move like Hidden Power or Ice Beam, and that everything with Magearna should’ve started a couple episodes earlier, as this looks like Dawn’s Togekiss but worse.

Something I’d like to add is that, to the people who are saying that Ash is going into the league without training, you’re completely ignoring all of the matches on the beach, all of his matches against Kiawe, the training moments like when he helped Litten learn Fire Fang and Flame Charge and helped Rowlet learn Bullet Seed which later turned into Seed Bomb, and LAST WEEK’S EPISODE, where he trained for several days in the forest with Kiawe and Sophocles. Ash has done plenty of training to prepare himself for the league, even when he didn’t know it existed.

Right now though, I’m open to the league and am am interested to see how it goes. I encourage everyone else to keep an open mind and not just complain about how this league is going to be trash with no basis other than “Haha, it’s SM so it’s going to suck”, while completely ignoring all of the good battles and moments that’ve happened throughout this series.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 384931

Despite that Ash fought Gladion and Hau they don't feel like rivals. Same with Ilma.

DatsRight

Something I’d like to add is that, to the people who are saying that Ash is going into the league without training, you’re completely ignoring all of the matches on the beach, all of his matches against Kiawe, the training moments like when he helped Litten learn Fire Fang and Flame Charge and helped Rowlet learn Bullet Seed which later turned into Seed Bomb, and LAST WEEK’S EPISODE, where he trained for several days in the forest with Kiawe and Sophocles. Ash has done plenty of training to prepare himself for the league, even when he didn’t know it existed.

This I cannot argue with. Battling is a bit underwhelming this series (though in fairness Ash himself as that in spades anyway) but training and preparing with his team has still been an ongoing presence from the start. People forget that even some of Ash's best teams were often build up as much from plot armour boosts or DEM situations, often things designed to make them look more superficially powerful while skipping some of the agency. SM Ash has had hand outs as well, but we've seen go out of his element way more often this series, he's been shown training his Pokemon for power boosts more often, and even some of the plot instigated ones have more build up on his end like mastering a move he'd already started on teaching one of them. Ash sparring with Kiawe is constantly utilised in casual scenes, building up both of their credibility as opponents (Kiawe himself also making significant steps to progress his team, like expanding on Turtonator's tank-limited battle style, taming Marowak, and completing a trial by the TAPUS to make his Charizard Z-Move capable).

The others are a larger concern because they're going in with barely any experience at all. Lana has done a trial and fully evolved Primarina, but otherwise has next to no battle experience and has barely done anything with Sandy. Mallow has barely even got accustomed to commanding her Pokemon in battle, let alone good strategies. Lillie can be clever under pressure but has only an extra move or two for Snowy in terms of team boosts, Sophocles has trained Vikavolt and shown decent battle tactics but still only done ONE full battle proper.

RLC

Ash is not pulling a Cameron. Pulling a Cameron is knowing that there are going to be 6v6 battles, and then entering the round without a 6th Pokemon. Ash doesn’t know if there are going to be any 6v6 battles in this league, and if there are, he’ll get a Pokemon from Oak’s lab to battle with him.

Also, just because a Pokemon is fully evolved doesn’t mean its going to do well. Ash’s Torterra and Noivern had terrible win rates, and Ash’s Buizel, Gible, Bulbasaur, Snivy and Corphish were all really powerful despite being not evolved.

For Mallow, she was the one who helped Ash learn the pose for the grass Z-move, so I could see her learning it pretty quickly.

Now, I do agree that Hau should’ve gotten another episode before the league, Snowy should’ve learned another move like Hidden Power or Ice Beam, and that everything with Magearna should’ve started a couple episodes earlier, as this looks like Dawn’s Togekiss but worse.

Right now though, I’m open to the league and am am interested to see how it goes. I encourage everyone else to keep an open mind and not just complain about how this league is going to be trash with no basis other than “Haha, it’s SM so it’s going to suck”, while completely ignoring all of the good battles and moments that’ve happened throughout this series.
I agree with everything but the open mind part just because we see reasonable problems with what's happening concerning the league e.g. the fact that most people competing don't have 6 pokemon or that Sophocles,lana, mallow and especially Lillie is actually competing like what? This is a very serious pokemon battling event where they frankly have no place in (them competing makes the league look like a joke like I get it's the first league but it's still a pokemon league it should be respected a little more) does not equate to us saying it's going to be trash or not being open minded to it proving us wrong and actually being good. We're not closed minded just because we're not praising the show

Status
Not open for further replies.