• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

June 30th: XY&Z032 - The Kalos League Begins! Mega Charizard Showdown: X VS Y!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

STICKTOPIA

Wow I wasn't expecting the league until after the team flare thing is over!

Joltik-Kid

Careful? Where's the fun in that?

nickdt

Safe to say Zard X has officially become Zard's True Mega form in both the animators and GameFreak's eyes

Another Note: It's amazing that we have till November, but lets start the league now...

Yeah, but its not even the most popular out of the two, so they feel the need to hype it up.

Blue Saturday

Violet Prince❤️
Lizardon-Y hasn't been treated terrible at all and it hasn't been treated good, it just hasn't been getting focus like the other 70% of mega evolutions that appear to job or lose in quick power duels. The anime didn't focus much on most species of mega pokemon like they do regular Pokemon in episodes on a week by week basis, thus we haven't seen many or any of them in prominence. The other Mega Kanto starters haven't appeared much either, besides the point Lizardon-Y is the mascot of the Mega Pokemon Center Tokyo, the original Pikachu hoodie star and appears more in merchandise. X was just Alan's signature Pokemon cause it was Dragon-type, revealed as Red's ace because it was its time to be revealed, is Lizardon's Smash version in SSB4 and that's it.

I don't quite get this ongoing complaint of Y being treated badly when its been treated like every other mega 'mon not in focus, I prefer Lizardon-Y personally.

Soniman

Break the Limit
Lizardon-Y hasn't been treated terrible at all and it hasn't been treated good, it just hasn't been getting focus like the other 70% of mega evolutions that appear to job or lose in quick power duels. The anime didn't focus much on most species of mega pokemon like they do regular Pokemon in episodes on a week by week basis, thus we haven't seen many or any of them in prominence. The other Mega Kanto starters haven't appeared much either, besides the point Lizardon-Y is the mascot of the Mega Pokemon Center Tokyo, the original Pikachu hoodie star and appears more in merchandise. X was just Alan's signature Pokemon cause it was Dragon-type, revealed as Red's ace because it was its time to be revealed, is Lizardon's Smash version in SSB4 and that's it.

I don't quite get this ongoing complaint of Y being treated badly when its been treated like every other mega 'mon not in focus, I prefer Lizardon-Y personally.

People just expect a member of the Charizard family to get higher billing, X has, Y has not. Across all the mediums of Pokemon Zard Y had not had any significant/glorifying moments in the way Zard X has, it's a real bummer to those who like it and want to see it kick a little ***.

And now we have this where I'm sure Zard Y will lose to X to show how Uber strong Alan is, because I'm honestly not expecting much of a fight from poor Trevor up against a guy who took down the E4

Red and Blue

We didn't really have any other major character who had a Charizard until now so a lack of Charizard Y is hardly surprising

Cresselia92

SM Ash = New Ash
People just expect a member of the Charizard family to get higher billing, X has, Y has not. Across all the mediums of Pokemon Zard Y had not had any significant/glorifying moments in the way Zard X has, it's a real bummer to those who like it and want to see it kick a little ***.

And now we have this where I'm sure Zard Y will lose to X to show how Uber strong Alan is, because I'm honestly not expecting much of a fight from poor Trevor up against a guy who took down the E4

Yeah, it's a pretty darn shame. I actually really like Trevor, so him being taken down by "Black Reshiram" is truly saddening. Alas, I can still hope Mega Charizard Y will go down with a bang and not be thrashed effortlessly.

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
The league is here already? Wow. This is the perfect time to use BW's most famous plot point of interrupting the league. Maybe have the Ultimate Weapon lite come from the ground and disrupt the entire tournament.

Cresselia92

SM Ash = New Ash
Zard Y can't even straight up beat Zard X

Unless it uses moves like Dragon Pulse. That should give it a fair chance. However, if Trevor relies on Drought to power his Charizard's Fire attacks up, he must be careful because Drought powers up the opposing Charizard's Fire attacks as well. Good luck surviving a Sun-boosted Blast Burn, mate.

Red and Blue

To be fair Alain defeated an E4 member. Trevor was never going to stand a chance in hell

Joltik-Kid

Unless it uses moves like Dragon Pulse. That should give it a fair chance. However, if Trevor relies on Drought to power his Charizard's Fire attacks up, he must be careful because Drought powers up the opposing Charizard's Fire attacks as well. Good luck surviving a Sun-boosted Blast Burn, mate.
From a gaming standpoint:

252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Outrage vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Charizard Y: 313-370 (105.3 - 124.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Dragon Pulse vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Charizard X: 248-292 (83.5 - 98.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

I'll bet Charizard Y will give Alain some trouble, but I guarantee you its likely to be as one sided as everyone is saying given the difference in batting skill

Cresselia92

SM Ash = New Ash
From a gaming standpoint:

252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Outrage vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Charizard Y: 313-370 (105.3 - 124.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Dragon Pulse vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Charizard X: 248-292 (83.5 - 98.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

I'll bet Charizard Y will give Alain some trouble, but I guarantee you its likely to be as one sided as everyone is saying given the difference in batting skill

You're forgetting something. Most Mega Charizard X don't like being locked in Outrage and prefer to use Dragon Claw, which is something that Alain's Charizard has as well. So...

252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Dragon Claw vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Charizard Y: 210-247 (70.7 - 83.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

However, I agree that the match is pretty much in Alain's favor.

Blue Saturday

Violet Prince❤️
I like Lizardon-Y, but again, it's in the same boat as 70% of Mega Pokemon, not treated bad, not treated good, it just hasn't done anything period because the writers don't focus on megas in the same vein as new species of Pokemon and their debuts. And no, aside from the anime's mega specials and the tie-in with XY's debut via Origins X hasn't been given more prominence than Y. The XY games treat both equally, merchandising doesn't favor X over Y, the mascot of the Pokemon Center is Y nor does TCG prioritize either. PokeSpe hasn't even decided on what X's Salame will Mega Evolve into. Fushingbana, Kamex, Foodin, Gengar, Heracross, Liivolt, Spear, Eon Duo and a host of other Mega Pokemon haven't actually being bathing in love either. Lucario, Lizardon-X and that's honestly literally it, only because one is a mascot for mega evolution and the other was an XY tie-in.

1. Trova was never shown to be strong or built up as a battler, why he's even at the league wasn't devoted to Citron as a rival, I have no clue.
2. He just started mega evolving way later than Alan who has been installed as being powerful from day one.
3. It's just happening out of the blue with no buildup for hype sake.
4. The writers weren't exactly sweet hearts to him when they had his Hitokage get one-shotted by Pikachu then get one-shotted again by Hinoyakoma, he's essentially in the same boat as Tierno, Shouta, Nene, Millefeui, Sana.

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
I honestly don't know why people are being worked up over the rivals. XY has been kind to none of them. Sure we have Alain, but he's barely interacted with Ash. We have Sawyer who really didn't have that many appearances. We have Tierno who Ash has beaten several times over. We have Trevor who I forgot because he didn't have much screen time.

Soniman

Break the Limit
X has also been in Smash and Pokken, both as Charizard's signature Mega, which is kinda what I mean.

Also you don't need to tell me Trova is pathetic, which is why it's even more headscratching why he's the one who's gonna be responsible for debuting Y

Joltik-Kid

So it does beg the question, was Alain collecting Gym Badges on a whim, despite his goal being strictly to challenge Mega Users? And how exactly has he found the time given his recent activities? My gosh...

You're forgetting something. Most Mega Charizard X don't like being locked in Outrage and prefer to use Dragon Claw, which is something that Alain's Charizard has as well. So...

252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Dragon Claw vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Charizard Y: 210-247 (70.7 - 83.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

However, I agree that the match is pretty much in Alain's favor.
I don't like limiting discussions of hypothetical match ups, so while Dragon Claw is likely the case for Zard X, Outrage is his strongest Attack (next to Flare Blitz). Doesn't really matter though, because we've come to the agreement that this is a mismatch to gain league attention. Nothing says "Hey, the League's starting everyone, guess what the first match is? Charizard v. Charizard"

Charizard X regardless of going first or second will likely set up a Dragon Dance to maintain Control of the battle, thus

+1 252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Dragon Claw vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Charizard Y: 313-369 (105.3 - 124.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

You outspeed your next turn and One Shot

The scan is already mentioning Ash participating in the 6vs6 rounds lol.

When you consider that, along with the fact that Ash isn't the focus of the first two league episodes, I think it's safe to say that we'll be fast-forwarded into the latter rounds pretty quickly. I'm going to wager that Ash won't get an on-screen battle until the top 16.

Top 16- Vs Astrid (3 vs 3)
Top 8- Vs Shota (full battle)
Top 4- Vs Alain (full battle)

Rohanator

I think Trevor is only showcasing Zard Y because...well he happens to have a Charizard. They're just getting it out of the way, the way Mega Venusaur was shown by some randon guy and got rekt.

Mega Blastoise was shown already as well so that might be why they're not bothering with it with Tierno and instead make him an example of what happens when you fight Mega Sceptile with electricity.

Status
Not open for further replies.