• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

June 9th: SM125 - Satoshi: A Timeless Encounter!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doppelgänger

Superancient Member
Ash won't recognize him, but Torracat will, since he was able to identify both Kukui and Incineroar by scent.

Kintaro

Banned
Why?

Parents create children. They are integral to every character's backstory, whether they're around or not. Why wouldn't that be important?

Depends if they need a backstory. Dawn and Serena have absent fathers and nobody really cares. People just assume their mothers are divorced or their fathers died, but nobody was asking for an episode or story about it.

Doppelgänger

Superancient Member
Google tells me there's been plenty of speculation on Dawn or Serena's fathers. I didn't have to search - lineage and legacy plays a major role in other cartoons like Naruto, Dragon Ball and One Piece. Unless the character is very minor, it's something people want to know about, even if it's just confirming what people have assumed.

This is why the "origin story" is the most popular format for beginning superhero films, as opposed to something "in media res". The backstory is introduced and is essential for providing insight into the character and where they go. Latter stories have to either gloss over those details or assume prior familiarity.

Kintaro

Banned
Google tells me there's been plenty of speculation on Dawn or Serena's fathers. I didn't have to search - lineage and legacy plays a major role in other cartoons like Naruto, Dragon Ball and One Piece. Unless the character is very minor, it's something people want to know about, even if it's just confirming what people have assumed.

This is why the "origin story" is the most popular format for beginning superhero films, as opposed to something "in media res". The backstory is introduced and is essential for providing insight into the character and where they go. Latter stories have to either gloss over those details or assume prior familiarity.

If you mean fanfiction, there's fanfiction for anything. People can make fanfiction of why Pikachu likes ketchup (and I'm sure there is). It doesn't mean people were dying to know about it in-series. People didn't spend the entire span of DP or XY thinking, "When are they going to introduce Dawn/Serena's father? When will this plot point be revealed?" because obviously...we didn't need to know. It's not important.

If they make a plot point about something like Mohn, then sure, but otherwise it's irrelevant.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Doppelgänger said:
Ash won't recognize him, but Torracat will, since he was able to identify both Kukui and Incineroar by scent.

That's what I'm hoping for, but part of me thinks that the writers might forget that Nyaheat should be able to recognize people's scents or that they'll purposely overlook it just because they can.

Last edited:

TheScentedApple

So is the Trevanant an actual Totem, we haven't seen any pokemon other than Gen 7 Pokemon be Totem sized yet, but it looks ginormous, could this be the first instance of Dynamax?

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
So is the Trevanant an actual Totem, we haven't seen any pokemon other than Gen 7 Pokemon be Totem sized yet, but it looks ginormous, could this be the first instance of Dynamax?
Probably not Dynamaxed. Unless Kukui decides to call it that in the episode and it catches on.

Leonhart

Imagineer
TheScentedApple said:

I don't think it's Dynamax, but it might be a reference to that. Still, the Totem theory seems far more likely to me because we're in the Alola era still.

Leonhart

Imagineer
WaterShuriken said:
Well also remember, Trevenant is also a Ghost-type. Ghost-types in the anime have always been shown to have bizarre powers, so the giant size might also just be an illusion or something to that effect.

That's a good point since looking back we have seen Ghost-types make all kinds of illusions to change their surroundings. I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case with the giant Ohrot here, too.

i2i

Big Bad Wolf
Well also remember, Trevenant is also a Ghost-type. Ghost-types in the anime have always been shown to have bizarre powers, so the giant size might also just be an illusion or something to that effect.

That's a good point since looking back we have seen Ghost-types make all kinds of illusions to change their surroundings. I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case with the giant Ohrot here, too.

I think Trevenant is simple just totem Pokémon and we're just overanalyzing it.

Leonhart

Imagineer
playerking said:
We have some new images.

https://cho-animedia.jp/anime/97172/

The Makuhita image and one with Professor Kukui as a kid and Litten have some blurriness around the edges, so maybe the Hala bit will just be a part of Professor Kukui's flashback.

Well it's good that Hala's at least implied to appear here since he's one of the few characters that I actually wanted to see during Satoshi's trip into the past.

TheWanderingMist

Two words: Lana’s Primarina
Took way too long to get there. This applies to all the SM girls, as literally all the guys had secondaries or evolved Pokemon by episode 34.

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
Took way too long to get there. This applies to all the SM girls, as literally all the guys had secondaries or evolved Pokemon by episode 34.
I’d rather it take longer for a Pokémon to fully evolve than to evolve at a fast rate like Goodra.

TheWanderingMist

I’d rather it take longer for a Pokémon to fully evolve than to evolve at a fast rate like Goodra.
Oh yeah, I agree, but still, they just didn't want to give the girls anything this region and it's been infuriating.

ShadowForce720

Oh yeah, I agree, but still, they just didn't want to give the girls anything this region and it's been infuriating.

What's sad was while it was understandable why it would take Lillie awhile to get a 2nd pokemon do to having to overcome her trauma, however when it comes to Mallow and Lana there were pokemon that could have easily work as secondaries for them for instance they could have extended the Akala Island arc a little bit and turned the Dewpider episode into a capture episode for Lana and have it happen during the Akala Island arc, while in Mallow's case they could have likewise have her get a capture during the Akala Island arc in the form of Cutiefly/Ribombee or even a Fomantis.

After all if I remember correctly didn't Mallow say that she thought Fomantis were cute when she and Ash encountered them or maybe I'm remembering wrong, however Cutiefly/Rimbombee could easily help Mallow out with chores and as a Rimbombee it could easily act as a Waiter/Waitress and Mallow could even add meals that incorporate Rimbombee's Pollen Puffs into the Menu for her restaurant.

With Lillie I think given her bond and backstory with Celfable I think it would have been fine if Lusamine decided or decides to give Cleafable to Lillie, although her getting a Alolan Sandshrew or even another Ice type pokemon could have worked as well.

TheScentedApple

Well the new preview confirms its firium z kid Kukui has, meaning I’m sure Torracat will earn this from Kukui in either the past or the present

Status
Not open for further replies.