• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

June Plot Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
'ello, 'ello! It's time for Pokespe SWSH for April.

FuNq_luaEAA4ggs.jpg

FuNrGa9agAAzQHq.jpg

FuNrPhRaAAEpl2_.jpg

FuNrVw_aQAE9GZS.jpg

We're in the endgame, folks! G-Max Pokemon are rampaging as the Darkest Day resumes.

Zacian and Zamazenta return and are finally at full power.

FuJLTkQagAANAbG.jpg

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
Glad to see things winding up finally
Wonder if we'll get a Paldean arc
No word still on a BDSP or LA arc, which is so weird after USUM kinda set it up. Disappointing too Yellow probably won't get a LGPE arc

Really wondering if like the anime, Pokespe might end after Gen 8. I do kinda feel it's run its course lately, but would like one final arc with all the poke holders reuniting against Sird to tie it up and all the loose ends

e9310103838

Really wondering if like the anime, Pokespe might end after Gen 8. I do kinda feel it's run its course lately, but would like one final arc with all the poke holders reuniting against Sird to tie it up and all the loose ends

Yamamoto recently stated that he would like to continue painting Pokespe try his best, so no.

diakyu

It feels weird to not have a current gen story running so long after it came out but I’m glad swsh gets to go to completion it seems

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
No BDSP makes sense given it was a 1:1 remake.

Still sucks for Yellow as she could use a short LGPE arc

e9310103838

They were divided into two groups, one group went to Hammerlocke (Leon, Melony, Raihan, Bea, Piers, Hop, Marnie, Bede, Soudo, Shieldmilia and Marvin) and the other group went to the Crown Tundra (Milo, Nessa, Kabu, Allister and Gordie).

Opal hands over gymleadership to Bede.

Piers said that there are the king who guards the village, former gym leader and former champion to support in the Crown Tundra, he probably meant Peony (or Mustard?)

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
Does anyone else feel really underwhelmed by all this?
Usually Kusaka does something new or has a twist. Here it really feels like strictly to the games but with some random changes that don't really do anything
No character has stood out differently either
B2W2, XY, SM and ORAS all had their flaws but each arc had their memorable characters and well unique things, even if there were issues like pacing and rushing and all

This just feels so boring to keep up with. Really feels Kusaka lost his spark.....

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
He's been going on with this for 25 years already so I'm not surprised.

Personally, I think that at the time of BW2, they should've started letting another team handle the later arcs. Let XY - SV all use different teams, even if set in the same universe.

Moni_22

Does anyone else feel really underwhelmed by all this?
Usually Kusaka does something new or has a twist. Here it really feels like strictly to the games but with some random changes that don't really do anything
No character has stood out differently either
B2W2, XY, SM and ORAS all had their flaws but each arc had their memorable characters and well unique things, even if there were issues like pacing and rushing and all

This just feels so boring to keep up with. Really feels Kusaka lost his spark.....
Yeah, I've been following the manga since the DP era and right now I'm not excited about it anymore. I can't pinpoint the exact problem, but I'm just not that interested in the characters or what's going on even if I do like the SWSH cast. I think it's because of what you said, there's not a big twist that changes everything, something unexpected. The Eternatus fight was cool and there were some twists there, but I'm not enjoying the DLC arc as much.

I would have really liked a PLA arc, it doesn't have to be very long, 2-3 volumes would be enough. But that game has good twists, epic battles and a great antagonist.

I'm curious to see what they plan to do after finishing the SWSH arc. It's amusing that neither the anime nor manga started a SV arc, the anime is now doing its own thing with a bit of Paldea focus, maybe the manga will do its own thing too.

Lucky3

Yeah, it's just weird we spent so much time on the Gym Challenge only to just forget about it and start the Darkest Day and have a climatic battle against Eternatus, but then also put that on hold for an entire volume to shoehorn some DLC content and then randomly restart the conflict, but this time without any real villains pulling the strings. It just feels pretty empty and aimless. It would have worked so much better to just have the DLC areas inserted into the story earlier and have the Darkest Day happen in the middle of the Gym Cup like in the games.

And the weirdest part is that SwSh's pacing has been really slow for the most part, then it suddenly got really quick, then slowed down again. It almost feels like Kusaka got news of SV and thought he had to wrap it up quickly, but then got told it was okay to keep going with SwSh for a bit
and had to duct-tape all the ideas he had together however he could.

Moni_22

Yeah, it's just weird we spent so much time on the Gym Challenge only to just forget about it and start the Darkest Day and have a climatic battle against Eternatus, but then also put that on hold for an entire volume to shoehorn some DLC content and then randomly restart the conflict, but this time without any real villains pulling the strings. It just feels pretty empty and aimless.
Yeah that's it! That's why it doesn't feel exciting, we just don't know where the story is going and we don't have an interesting antagonist. And yeah the pacing is weird, it just doesn't feel like a climax.

lolipiece

Staff member
Yeah, it's just weird we spent so much time on the Gym Challenge only to just forget about it and start the Darkest Day and have a climatic battle against Eternatus, but then also put that on hold for an entire volume to shoehorn some DLC content and then randomly restart the conflict, but this time without any real villains pulling the strings. It just feels pretty empty and aimless. It would have worked so much better to just have the DLC areas inserted into the story earlier and have the Darkest Day happen in the middle of the Gym Cup like in the games.

And the weirdest part is that SwSh's pacing has been really slow for the most part, then it suddenly got really quick, then slowed down again. It almost feels like Kusaka got news of SV and thought he had to wrap it up quickly, but then got told it was okay to keep going with SwSh for a bit
and had to duct-tape all the ideas he had together however he could.
Since the anime is no longer tied to the games (somewhat), that's probably exactly what happened.

Jesusjuice

Kind of un-related but it’s a shame to not see much of Soudos Thwackey/Rillaboom despite him having it since chapter 1, let alone almost of his team haven’t really appeared since before the 1st Darkest Day. Looking forward I hope Kusaka can make an interesting battle between Calyrex & Eternatus if that’s the direction this is going.

e9310103838

No pictures to confirm yet, but I saw somepeople say that Marvin gave his Inteleon to Hop. I don't know what happened this month?

And SwSh should end with only two (or three?) rounds left (If they don't release volume 8), so we'll get new chapter as soon as June (released with the last round of SwSh) or July.

Yamamoto said he wanted to describe in detail Hop, Bede and Marnie's adventures in the Crown Tundra, but that probably won't happen until the SwSh full volumes release... I don't know if Regi family, Glastrier, Zarude, Galarian three legendary birds, Gigantamax Galar starters, Urshifu and Melmetal will have time to appear in the remaining two rounds? Do Zacian and Zamazenta see Soudo and Shieldmilia as partners or do they just fight alone?

Last edited:

lolipiece

Staff member
Like, permanently? I'm going to assume for G-Max purposes.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
Yeah, I've been following the manga since the DP era and right now I'm not excited about it anymore. I can't pinpoint the exact problem, but I'm just not that interested in the characters or what's going on even if I do like the SWSH cast. I think it's because of what you said, there's not a big twist that changes everything, something unexpected. The Eternatus fight was cool and there were some twists there, but I'm not enjoying the DLC arc as much.

I would have really liked a PLA arc, it doesn't have to be very long, 2-3 volumes would be enough. But that game has good twists, epic battles and a great antagonist.

I'm curious to see what they plan to do after finishing the SWSH arc. It's amusing that neither the anime nor manga started a SV arc, the anime is now doing its own thing with a bit of Paldea focus, maybe the manga will do its own thing too.
Like I think people usually agree RGBY arc, FRLG arc and RS and then E are pretty peak with great storytelling and freedom.
GSC was a bit weak in comparison to those but still good coz you can feel that freedom and creativity explored

DP and Pt were a bit anime esque but still amazing because again, that freedom spark was there. BW is peak and I think most agree Pokemon Adventures fell off from there

B2W2 was disappointing esp after all the wait killing the pacing, but it was so freaking unique. I remember how hype the Genesect capture chapter was. XY was so unique, the stakes felt so real and threatening. SM despite its flaws was so good because you felt they were still taking freedom, although honestly looking back they didn't take as much creative freedom as they could have and ig the seeds for SwSh were laid there.

And now we have SwSh. Each Pokespe arc used to have its own story and creative freedom that made it feel so refreshing coz it took the Pokemon World and added its own. Here.....it just feels like an adaptation of SwSh rather than its own thing using SwSh elements like other arcs were. I was lax on the arc at the beginning despite not liking it as much coz I thought this was Kusaka just taking his time to do proper setup considering how rushed the other arcs were after BW, but it never really picked up steam. The theories fans had like Soudo being evil and all were infinitely more interesting than what we got.

e9310103838

The theories fans had like Soudo being evil and all were infinitely more interesting than what we got.

It's just some people like it, not everyfan likes the Soudo evil theory. (While Kusaka might have taken a cue from it, who knows?) A lot of fans only like Soudo who is made faux pas sometime and obsessed with weapons.

I really don't think we're going to get a evil protagonist especially since this is a manga for kids mainly. I think Lack-Two or Mitsumi in the manga DPA are the closest characters to that.

Last edited:

lolipiece

Staff member
I personally don't like the implication that having a hyperfixation = being evil.

Moni_22

I personally don't like the implication that having a hyperfixation = being evil.
He doesn't have to be evil but maybe it could have led him to make a big mistake. It kinda went that route but it didn't end up being something very important, I thought the consequences would be bigger.

Status
Not open for further replies.