• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Just Gotta: Hand Drawn Pokémon Fan Comic

VyeBrante

Just Gotta: Hand Drawn Pokémon Fan Comic

Hello, hello everyone! I debated whether or not to post something about my comic here, and I finally decided . . . why not?

So uh . . . yeah. It's a hand drawn comic with a story I've heard everyone has read or written a billion times: kid gets pulled into the Pokémon world and becomes a trainer. But this one is different than most, I promise! (Or at least I hope so . . .)

It's the story of Hillaree Rawson who is Mewtwo's #1 Fan. (At least she says she is. Don't try to fight her about that. She'll fight back.) She gets pulled in to the Pokémon world for unknown reasons. She is told she will be returned home when she's ready but has no idea what that means. Well, she won't find the answers sitting around!

It's set up in a kind of manga format, black and white, read the "western way," (left to right,) and updated daily. (Well, usually.) I hope you enjoy reading it! I have fun making it!

There are also two side comics to Just Gotta. The first is Just Mewtwo. It explains the story of Mewtwo's origin. (The Mewtwo of Just Gotta, not of the anime or anything.) This one is also read the western way. It is updated only once a week on Friday, but is in full color! I'll link it here as well. The second is Gotta Past. It focuses on the pasts of Just Gotta's other characters, giving a better look into what their history is. Also read Western way, and updated whenever possible.

There's too many comics to link to each page, so I'll link to the first page and a link to the most current page. Or you can click on the banner in my signature. Whatever works best for you.

Just Gotta
First Page: Page 1
Current Page: Click Here

Just Mewtwo
First Page: Page 1

Gotta Past
First Page: Hillaree's Story Part 1, Page 1

Last edited:

Mewmie the shiny Mew

=Cute+Power+Smart
Very nice! It's not the best drawn but it's got a GREAT plot! I love it! But two pages aren't appearing for me. Pages 44 and 58 are the ones that won't come and only the comments come up for me. I hope I didn't miss too much.
;151;

VyeBrante

Very nice! It's not the best drawn but it's got a GREAT plot! I love it! But two pages aren't appearing for me. Pages 44 and 58 are the ones that won't come and only the comments come up for me. I hope I didn't miss too much.

Thanks! I just hope it's not the worst drawn comic you've ever seen!

Pages 44 and 58 gave you trouble, huh? There wasn't anything really plot heavy, but if you want to see them, just try refreshing a few times. Smack Jeeves does that every once in a while, but a refresh or two (or five) clears it up.

Mewmie the shiny Mew

=Cute+Power+Smart
No it's definately not the worst! I can draw better Pokemon but your humans are fifty times better than mine. I can't draw humans. And I still couldn't get those pages up.
;151;

Last edited:

VyeBrante

Yeah, I have more experience at people than Pokémon. Considering how long Just Gotta is going to be, I'm going to get a lot more practice.

I don't know why you can't get those pages up. Works for me. I wonder if anyone else has that problem.

Mewmie the shiny Mew

=Cute+Power+Smart
Could you put them up on here where you don't have to click a link? Please?
;151;

VyeBrante

Um . . .

I'm hoping you mean put Pages 44 and 58 up so you don't have to go to the site and see them . . . if that's not what you mean, let me know.

But sure, I can do that. Here's Page 44:

gotta44.jpg

And here's Page 58:

gotta58.jpg

Mewmie the shiny Mew

=Cute+Power+Smart
Thanks! For some reason these pages seemed very iportant... I can't wait until you put up more of the comic. I love it!
;151;

VyeBrante

You're welcome! And thanks for reading my comic! I'm glad you enjoy it!

I have the next page drawn up but not scanned yet. I am trying to draw Page 96 while I'm at it. I want to get ahead so I can get on a regular update schedule again.

I hope it doesn't take too much longer. Keep watching!

Neko

Hi, I was starting to wonder if and when you would put up a thread for your comic. I spotted one of your comments to one of the other comics here on the forum and saw your sig. So I already knew it existed.

I have to admit that I haven't read the whole thing yet... because of school... But I like what I've seen so far. I have to say that putting up a comic every day is very impressive!
I can only manage one comic a week myself. I hope you don't mind, but I've put up a link to your comic on my website. :)
I catalogue Pokémon webcomics I like, you see.

And don't worry about the quality of your work. It's better than most comics and writing comics seems to really help you get a lot better. Fast!
Or at least, so I'm told. Lol

Clockworkz

SURPRISE BUTTSECKS
Sigh.

I read the first five pages and stopped. And I read the latest page, just to see if you got any better with artwork.

And, that's a negative. From what I can tell, the plot is about people playing Pokemon on the gameboys, and, well, I'll take a guess as to what the rest of the plot is (correct me if I'm wrong): They enter some kind of dimensional warp, and are carried to the world of Pokemon and are actually trainers. Right?

Doesn't seem too original, the art is subpar, and the spelling and grammar is very bad at times.

Hand drawn =/= good in all cases. It's not the worst handdrawn I've seen... But it's up there.

VyeBrante

Hi, I was starting to wonder if and when you would put up a thread for your comic. I spotted one of your comments to one of the other comics here on the forum and saw your sig. So I already knew it existed.

Heh, neat! So I was promoting my comic a little after all!

I have to admit that I haven't read the whole thing yet... because of school... But I like what I've seen so far. I have to say that putting up a comic every day is very impressive!

Well, thank you! I'm glad you enjoy it! I know it's kind of long, (and is only going to get longer,) so it can take a while to get through.

Heh, yeah, getting a comic up every day is a lot of work. I haven't updated in over a week, (recharging my batteries I guess,) but I hope to get the daily updates up and running again soon.

I can only manage one comic a week myself. I hope you don't mind, but I've put up a link to your comic on my website. :)
I catalogue Pokémon webcomics I like, you see.

Oh, really? Well, thanks!

And although I hadn't realized it until I clicked the link in your signature, I've read your comic too! It's great, I must say! So hearing praise from you is really awesome. Thanks loads!

Thanks for you comments and I hope the comic remains enjoyable for you!

VyeBrante

Sigh.

I read the first five pages and stopped. And I read the latest page, just to see if you got any better with artwork.

And, that's a negative.

Tee hee, my first bad review. Either people are really nice and are just telling me my comic is good so I won't feel bad, or anyone else sharing your opinion has kept their mouth shut. You'll have to forgive me if I don't take your comments very seriously . . .

From what I can tell, the plot is about people playing Pokemon on the gameboys, and, well, I'll take a guess as to what the rest of the plot is (correct me if I'm wrong): They enter some kind of dimensional warp, and are carried to the world of Pokemon and are actually trainers. Right?

Well, if by "they" you mean the main character, Hillaree, and no one else, then yes. Sort of. I said up front that it had the basics of a lot of fan fictions out there so that shouldn't have surprised you. If you had read more than six pages, maybe you could have seen that there was a little more to it than other similar stories and there's going to be more happening later on. But if my comic didn't grab you, it's not necessarily your fault for not wanting to read more.

Doesn't seem too original, the art is subpar, and the spelling and grammar is very bad at times.

Already addressed the originality thing, so we'll go to the art next. Not all of us are born artists. People like me have to develop that talent. I didn't try much in my earlier years, so am trying to improve my art skills now. It's a slow process so I'm glad most of my readers are patient with me on that.

As for the spelling and grammar, I've only noticed a few mistakes that were then corrected. But if you noticed something wrong, feel free to point it out so that I may fix it. English was my best class in High School so I'd feel bad leaving errors.

Overall it seems you had your mind made up when you started reading it so you didn't give it much of a chance. It seems you're only interested in comics perfectly drawn so when they aren't, you don't read on to see the story develop.

I'm not saying that Just Gotta is perfect. Far from it in fact. It's just a work in progress. So thank you for your comments! It doesn't give me a whole lot to go by . . . but uh . . . I'll work on it.

Clockworkz

SURPRISE BUTTSECKS
I'm not trying to be mean, and I appreciate that you take my... rather blunt criticism with more thought and consideration than most of the retards who make comics.

Really, I don't even know how old you are, so I should really make rash assumptions on the artistic end, but... well, you may wanna refer to tutorials on polykarbon.com, and at least try to develop your own style (rather than mimicking the Pokemon animation style); it would add more originality and zest to it, hopefully.

Good luck.

VyeBrante

I'm not trying to be mean, and I appreciate that you take my... rather blunt criticism with more thought and consideration than most of the retards who make comics.

Oh, I know you're not trying to be mean. I hope I didn't come off as mean either.

Really, I don't even know how old you are . . .

I'm 21, in case you're curious. I've started trying to improve my artistic talents pretty late in life, so it'll probably be a while yet before even I'm satisfied with how it looks.

. . . but... well, you may wanna refer to tutorials on polykarbon.com, and at least try to develop your own style (rather than mimicking the Pokemon animation style); it would add more originality and zest to it, hopefully.

Well, thank you for the suggestion but . . . well, it seems pretty obvious you haven't seen any of my other drawings. I am drawing the comic in my own style. It has been influenced by Pokémon a great deal but it is still my style. Maybe it's only obvious to me. There are differences and not just because of my limitations as an artist. They're on purpose. Changing the style now would just make it harder on me. And I like my style, personally, but I'm biased with that.

But I'll check that site out and see if there's anything I find helpful. Thanks!

Neko

Hmmm... I have to admit that I'm not really picky when it comes to how comics look. I have seen comics that look much worse than this. I've added them to my list anyway, because I see something in it.
I don't put comics in my list of links, unless I have a good reason for it. Because I like the art, the story, the humor, you name it. I like your comic because you obviously love making it and because you've put a lot of effort in it (Hello? Almost 100 pages!). Also... It's Pokémon... So there...

My comic for instance isn't all that great either. Art still looks a bit dodgy, the story is very slow at the moment (even though I have it all thought out for the next two chapters or so) and I have NO sense of humor... Or so I'm told... :p
Lol

Anyway, that doesn't matter because I know I'll improve and so will you. And besides, you don't have to have the best looking comic on the web to have a GOOD comic. I'm guessing this is your first comic (Stuff of Legend is MY first comic), so it's only natural that you would try a more traditional storyline. One that your comfortable with. And that's ok with me.

Clockworkz has some good points and he gave good advice. I've seen his work on DevianArt and it looks pretty sweet. It's nice to have an expierenced artist commenting on your comic. Most negative critique would come in the form of 'WAAAHHH THIS COMIC SUX!! U SHOULD STOP NOW! I H8 UUUUU!'
Or something like that... So I guess I'm trying to say that all critique is welcome, even if it's negative, as long as it's aimed at helping you to improve. Hehehe.

And our mantra for today is: "Nobody's perfect! Nobody's perfect! And I don't care!" ^_^

VyeBrante

Hmmm... I have to admit that I'm not really picky when it comes to how comics look.

Me neither, but I do have my limits. It has to look to me like they've at least put some effort into making it look good. But I'm normally pretty easy to impress.

Especially when I compare with my own work. Then the art is usually awesome.

I like your comic because you obviously love making it and because you've put a lot of effort in it (Hello? Almost 100 pages!). Also... It's Pokémon... So there...

Heh, yup! I do love making it! I didn't think comic making would be so addicting when I started. I couldn't stop myself from making them. I was so surprised that I was able to maintain those daily updates for so long. (And then Diamond came out and that fell apart . . .) I'm glad the work I put into it shines through.

My comic for instance isn't all that great either. Art still looks a bit dodgy, the story is very slow at the moment (even though I have it all thought out for the next two chapters or so) and I have NO sense of humor... Or so I'm told... :p

Aw, don't worry. I think your art is awesome! (Comparing to mine, see?) Starting out a story can be slow when there is a lot to introduce. I know. Just Gotta is just scratching the surface . . . oy . . .

And humor is hard. What is funny to one person won't be funny to the next. I'm always surprised if people agree that something I put in the comic is funny. I don't think I have a gift there either.

Anyway, that doesn't matter because I know I'll improve and so will you. And besides, you don't have to have the best looking comic on the web to have a GOOD comic. I'm guessing this is your first comic (Stuff of Legend is MY first comic), so it's only natural that you would try a more traditional storyline. One that your comfortable with. And that's ok with me.

Well, technically, it's my second . . . but it's the first that I've worked seriously on! My first comic is kind of on hold while I work on Just Gotta. I want to perfect my drawing a bit more and figure Manga Studio out a little more. I consider Just Gotta to be like a "practice" comic to prepare myself for comics I want to work on in the future.

Stuff of Legend is your first, huh? Coulda fooled me! Looks great!

Clockworkz has some good points and he gave good advice.

Yeah, I really hope it doesn't look like I'm attacking him. (Seriously, he's been added on my MSN Messenger list and everything!) I'm open to both positive and negative comments regarding my comic. Both will help me grow.

Hm. After writing all that, I feel like I keep focusing on me and my comic. Ugh, I'm so self-centered!

Nile's a cutie!

Last edited:

Neko

Well, technically, it's my second . . . but it's the first that I've worked seriously on! My first comic is kind of on hold while I work on Just Gotta. I want to perfect my drawing a bit more and figure Manga Studio out a little more. I consider Just Gotta to be like a "practice" comic to prepare myself for comics I want to work on in the future.

Stuff of Legend is your first, huh? Coulda fooled me! Looks great!

Well, guess what. Stuff of Legend is practice too. I want to write an epic fantasy comic when I get beter... But for now, it only exists in my daydreams. :)

Hm. After writing all that, I feel like I keep focusing on me and my comic. Ugh, I'm so self-centered!

Well, this thread IS about YOUR comic afterall. Heh, I was already feeling a bit guilty about bringing my own comic up so often. ;)

Nile's a cutie!

^_^
Thanks! I doctored him a bit! I didn't like the basic design for Totodile, so I gave Nile some more muscles and a more expressive face. But if you think he's cute, just wait untill you see Nami!

I feel... so compelled to post spoilers right now...

VyeBrante

Well, guess what. Stuff of Legend is practice too. I want to write an epic fantasy comic when I get beter... But for now, it only exists in my daydreams. :)

Yup, I know exactly what you're talking about. I have several comic ideas in mind, but nothing really down on paper. My main project, I suppose, I do have written out but I only have pictures of two of the characters.

Why does work have to be such . . . work?

Well, this thread IS about YOUR comic afterall. Heh, I was already feeling a bit guilty about bringing my own comic up so often. ;)

Heh, I don't mind. As long as it gets focus off of me and my comic for a moment, I'm good.

Thanks! I doctored him a bit! I didn't like the basic design for Totodile, so I gave Nile some more muscles and a more expressive face.

Yeah, everyone says how cute Spyro is. He's "doctored" a little too. If you compare him to a normal Charmander, there are some pretty obvious differences.

. . . Well, maybe only obvious to me. But yeah, I know what you mean.

But if you think he's cute, just wait untill you see Nami!

I feel... so compelled to post spoilers right now...

Hee hee, I know exactly what you mean! It's so hard to keep secrets sometimes! But keeping readers in suspense if fun too so . . . it's hard.

But good job having the will power to hold yourself back! I can't do that sometimes!

Neko

Woops... I just rated the thread twice... I got impatient with how slow the forum is lately so I clicked the rate-button twice...

Well, sorry about that...

Back to Just Gotta. I'm curious. What does your main character look like in color?