• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

K-Pop/J-Pop/M-Pop

Zweihander Nemesis

Not too old for Poke
\
Who's everyone's favourite J-Pop artist? I've not listened to too much of it (I find it hard to find on the internet) but so far I really like Ayumi Hamasaki and Kyary Pamyu Pamyu.

SMAP and MISIA, Love the instrumentals and lyrics of SMAP songs, MISIA has an amazing and such a powerful voice at least 10 years old since they started, old school stuff I guess. Utada Hikaru is pretty good too.

MISIA - Everything

I hear Kyary Pamyu Pamyu is quite popular these days.

Last edited:

TurtwigFan1

burning it down
SMAP and MISIA, Love the instrumentals and lyrics of SMAP songs, MISIA has an amazing and such a powerful voice at least 10 years old since they started, old school stuff I guess. Utada Hikaru is pretty good too.

MISIA - Everything

I hear Kyary Pamyu Pamyu is quite popular these days.

I'll definitely check them out.

And yeah, I highly doubt that Kyary has any talent whatsoever but her songs (especially PONPONPON) are so catchy and so addictive. I can't get enough of them.

Chris-kun

i still believe
Last edited:

TurtwigFan1

burning it down
I will agree that Ayumi's newer stuff isn't as good as her old stuff, but I still like it. Anyone here like Namie Amuro? I think she's pretty good but I've not got round to downloading her albums yet.

Speaking of K-Pop~

The album cover for Girls' Generation's The Boys has been released BUT there are rumours that it's going to get delayed by a few weeks - I certainly hope it isn't!

Aviere

ooh, yeah, wow.
Anyone here like Namie Amuro? I think she's pretty good but I've not got round to downloading her albums yet.

I'm not really into the J/K/M Pop scene, but you mentioned someone I know so I'll bite! I was addicted to Namie Amuro's "Hide & Seek" awhile back - probably a year or two ago. It's a good song.

TurtwigFan1

burning it down
I'm not really into the J/K/M Pop scene, but you mentioned someone I know so I'll bite! I was addicted to Namie Amuro's "Hide & Seek" awhile back - probably a year or two ago. It's a good song.

Well at the moment I really love Fight Together. It's such a good song, I love it. I seriously need to check more of her stuff out.

So is anyone here into M-Pop (or C-Pop)? I've never listened to any of it but a lot of people like it.

Banana Knight Arthur

NEGATIVE MINUS
Kpop needs to go back to Korea tbh. I hate that it's invading Japan.

I don't particularly enjoy Kpop, mostly because the singles are REALLY good, but the albums SUCK.

Blasphemy!

Have you heard SHINee?!?!?

I enjoy some K-Pop groups, but I guess I'm more biased to J-Pop because I was introduced to it first. I'd have to say my favourite K-Pop group is SHINee or BoA. For J-Pop, I love a lot. News and SMAP are top loves.

The only BoA I ever bothered to hear was Every Heart(Minna no Kimochi), because of Inuyasha, though I did love it, do you recommend anything else by BoA

I wouldn't call M-Flo j-Pop, but considerin' that they tend to collab with a lot of artists (they're basically Japan's answer to Timbaland) and have that dancey pop feel, then yeah, they're my favorite band when it comes to the genre.

Kyaaaaaa~~~~~ I love Miss you by M-flo and ryohei(?)+Melody?

Also Verbal from mflo's collaboration with Crystal Kay, Ex-boyfriend.

I will agree that Ayumi's newer stuff isn't as good as her old stuff, but I still like it. Anyone here like Namie Amuro? I think she's pretty good but I've not got round to downloading her albums yet.

Speaking of K-Pop~

The album cover for Girls' Generation's The Boys has been released BUT there are rumours that it's going to get delayed by a few weeks - I certainly hope it isn't!

I loathe Namie Amuro~

Ayumi Hamasaki needs to retire already~ Her best work was Dearest.

Autis-misc

Abridger
I havent listened to much K-pop or any nonenglish J-pop artist, but the two K-pop artist i actually know are F(x) and SHINee. and SHINee just because he was featured in F(x)'s Lollipop, and has an amazing voice. (Im a guy) I love hot summer, the newest album, and cannot wait for the next.

As for J-pop, all i've heard of is Utada. but i've not listened to any of her Japanese songs. I remember some J-Pop posters while visiting japan, but couldnt read thjem so i had no time to listen to any of there music. hence why i like K-pop better.

Chris-kun

i still believe
'The Boys' is being delayed. Apparently the Girls are going to release an album stateside, and then release 'The Boys' worldwide. I don't see why they can't just release 'The Boys' but SM Entertainment kinda sucks.

Ayumi Hamasaki needs to retire already~ Her best work was Dearest.
tumblr_ls7ok6dq4i1qb6y7c.gif

Also, SHINee is like a poor man's TVXQ. Well, now it's the only TVXQ since the actual TVXQ sucks more now than they ever did...

TurtwigFan1

burning it down
'The Boys' is being delayed. Apparently the Girls are going to release an album stateside, and then release 'The Boys' worldwide. I don't see why they can't just release 'The Boys' but SM Entertainment kinda sucks.

Apparently what they mean by stateside was that the album would be released worldwide on iTunes and CD form in Korea - NOT another album. There's a lot of confusion at the moment (SM Entertainment are trolls) but apparently it's just going to be one album in Korean but it'll be released worldwide.

Banana Knight Arthur

NEGATIVE MINUS

Also, SHINee is like a poor man's TVXQ. Well, now it's the only TVXQ since the actual TVXQ sucks more now than they ever did...

Ayumi is a bad singer, that is not opinion it is just matter of fact. Her popularity is based on her looks, u mad bro? Lol.

SHINee is not the best, but TVXQ aka Tohoshinki is not either.

I will say I like them more than what I've heard of SHINee.

Particularly "Weep" and "Back to Tomorrow", their Japanese is so good, I only recently found out they were Korean, after some research.

Same goes for Rainbow, I heard "A" and thought they were Japanese.

Point is everyone has better Japanese skills than SHINee.

I'm really addicted to K-POP right now. I'm listening to the album of Brown Eyed Girls right about now. I can't wait for SNSD's comeback album, so sad it got delayed :(
What is so great about SNSD? I keep hearing about them. What is their best work?

Last edited:

Chris-kun

i still believe
Ayumi is a bad singer, that is not opinion it is just matter of fact. Her popularity is based on her looks, u mad bro? Lol.

Ayumi's popularity is based on her lyrics. And that's completely your opinion. I don't think she's an exceptional singer by any means, she's pretty mediocre. What she can do, however, is emote so perfectly with her voice that it makes up for her lack of vocal talent. Ayumi is my favorite artist ever, and I really don't appreciate your grossly inaccurate statements. Do your homework next time before you criticize.

TVXQ is the quintessential Kpop boyband. They were the biggest, they were one at the beginning of the boy/girl band wave. Every boyband is essentially following in their footsteps. That's all I meant by SHINee being a poor man's TVXQ

3lmi

pimping aint easy
I'm a BlackJack haha, but I also like SNSD / SHINee.

I got into K-Pop a year ago and it is so catchy. Some of my friends also like J-Pop but I'm too lazy to even Youtube some J-Pop artists.

Does anyone know some good J-Pop artists :]?

Banana Knight Arthur

NEGATIVE MINUS
Ayumi's popularity is based on her lyrics. And that's completely your opinion. I don't think she's an exceptional singer by any means, she's pretty mediocre. What she can do, however, is emote so perfectly with her voice that it makes up for her lack of vocal talent. Ayumi is my favorite artist ever, and I really don't appreciate your grossly inaccurate statements. Do your homework next time before you criticize.

TVXQ is the quintessential Kpop boyband. They were the biggest, they were one at the beginning of the boy/girl band wave. Every boyband is essentially following in their footsteps. That's all I meant by SHINee being a poor man's TVXQ

No, not really, it's pretty accurate, and Ayumi is popular based on her sexual appeal and her waves of old fans that keep coming back for more.

That emoting I heard on Dearest and many of her biggest songs reminds me of someone being tortured, distorting notes, but obviously we have to agree to disagree.

I also disagree with what you said about Tohoshinki and their new stuff sucking.

In other news, does anyone like Kumi Koda's music?

I tend to enjoy her ballads, such as Ai wo Tomenaide, Anata Dake ga etc.

Chris-kun

i still believe
No, not really, it's pretty accurate, and Ayumi is popular based on her sexual appeal and her waves of old fans that keep coming back for more.

That emoting I heard on Dearest and many of her biggest songs reminds me of someone being tortured, distorting notes, but obviously we have to agree to disagree.

No, really, it's not. She's popular for her lyrics. If you want someone who IS popular for her sex appeal, you just mentioned her. Koda Kumi is an example of an artist who became popular due to her sex appeal. Not that she's not somewhat talented, but the majority of her popularity came from her over sexual image for most of her career. Although that's died down some after the amniotic fluid scandal.

You don't have the slightest clue about the Japanese market or what it takes to be successful long term there. Ayumi is 33. She lost any semblance of "sex appeal" to the Japanese people a LONG time ago. And that's never what she was popular for. You never see her being remotely sexual in any of her videos. She was famous for her personal lyrics, a rarity in the Japanese market especially in 1998 when she debuted. Her lyrics touched people. If you see her live you'll notice that most of the fans in the audience are women. Because, you know, women are totally the ones who'd like a female artist because she's "sexy."

We can disagree, you can believe what you want about Ayumi's voice. And I can believe what I want. But know that it is your opinion and don't go masquerading it around as fact. And I'll do the same. What I have just spent the time laboriously explaining to you is, however, documented fact. You cannot dominate the market for 13 years, especially in a market that people are generally lucky if they're popular for two or three years, because you're "pretty." Ayumi is a talented songwriter, that's where her strength is. She may not be a vocal wonder, but she is a talented individual.

Also, as much as I love me some Koda Kumi ballads, Ai Wo Tomenaide is probably one of her worst. It sounds like Aitakute with ~dramatical instruments~ and Aitakute was one of the worst songs on Deja vu

Last edited:

Banana Knight Arthur

NEGATIVE MINUS
No, really, it's not. She's popular for her lyrics. If you want someone who IS popular for her sex appeal, you just mentioned her. Koda Kumi is an example of an artist who became popular due to her sex appeal. Not that she's not somewhat talented, but the majority of her popularity came from her over sexual image for most of her career. Although that's died down some after the amniotic fluid scandal.

You don't have the slightest clue about the Japanese market or what it takes to be successful long term there. Ayumi is 33. She lost any semblance of "sex appeal" to the Japanese people a LONG time ago. And that's never what she was popular for. You never see her being remotely sexual in any of her videos. She was famous for her personal lyrics, a rarity in the Japanese market especially in 1998 when she debuted. Her lyrics touched people. If you see her live you'll notice that most of the fans in the audience are women. Because, you know, women are totally the ones who'd like a female artist because she's "sexy."

We can disagree, you can believe what you want about Ayumi's voice. And I can believe what I want. But know that it is your opinion and don't go masquerading it around as fact. And I'll do the same. What I have just spent the time laboriously explaining to you is, however, documented fact. You cannot dominate the market for 13 years, especially in a market that people are generally lucky if they're popular for two or three years, because you're "pretty." Ayumi is a talented songwriter, that's where her strength is. She may not be a vocal wonder, but she is a talented individual.

Also, as much as I love me some Koda Kumi ballads, Ai Wo Tomenaide is probably one of her worst. It sounds like Aitakute with ~dramatical instruments~ and Aitakute was one of the worst songs on Deja vu

I disagree.

Ai wo Tomenaide is a much more epic Aitakute, and the only place they are similar is in the background music arrangement of the chorus.

My impression is that Ayumi is like the Britney Spears of Japan, who actually writes her own music.

What is your stance on いきものがかり?

TurtwigFan1

burning it down
Same goes for Rainbow, I heard "A" and thought they were Japanese.

They did release A in Japan, so you may have heard that version. I love A, it's such a good song.

What is so great about SNSD? I keep hearing about them. What is their best work?

SNSD (Girls' Generation) are usually always seen as the ultimate K-Pop girl group. Their most famous song is Gee - so listen to that one first. It's insanely catchy.

I'm a BlackJack haha, but I also like SNSD / SHINee.

I got into K-Pop a year ago and it is so catchy. Some of my friends also like J-Pop but I'm too lazy to even Youtube some J-Pop artists.

Does anyone know some good J-Pop artists :]?

I love 2NE1 <3 Don't Stop the Music is easily my favourite, I love that song so much. Not too keen on their Japanese stuff though, it's all just remakes and they're not even good remakes. They should record an original Japanese single imo.

My favourite J-Pop artists are AKB48, Kyary Pamyu Pamyu and Ayumi Hamasaki. But there are literally hundreds :)