• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

K-Pop/J-Pop/M-Pop

Banana Knight Arthur

NEGATIVE MINUS
They did release A in Japan, so you may have heard that version. I love A, it's such a good song.

SNSD (Girls' Generation) are usually always seen as the ultimate K-Pop girl group. Their most famous song is Gee - so listen to that one first. It's insanely catchy.

I love 2NE1 <3 Don't Stop the Music is easily my favourite, I love that song so much. Not too keen on their Japanese stuff though, it's all just remakes and they're not even good remakes. They should record an original Japanese single imo.

My favourite J-Pop artists are AKB48, Kyary Pamyu Pamyu and Ayumi Hamasaki. But there are literally hundreds :)

I love "A" it is so catchy and adorable of a song.

IS Rainbow releasing more stuff in Japanese?

Tried some 2NE1 songs and SnSD, it is all too bubblegummy for my tastes.

Can you recommend anything else from Rainbow, in either Japanese or Korean?

Last edited:

Chris-kun

i still believe
I disagree.

Ai wo Tomenaide is a much more epic Aitakute, and the only place they are similar is in the background music arrangement of the chorus.

My impression is that Ayumi is like the Britney Spears of Japan, who actually writes her own music.

What is your stance on いきものがかり?

You cannot disagree that Ayumi is popular because of her lyrics. That's like... disagreeing that the sky is blue or that grass is green. I hate Utada Hikaru, but I still acknowledge that she's one of the first people who did R&B in Japanese music and one of the driving forces that made it popular there. You can hate her all you want, but the fact is she's popular because of her lyrics. The fact that you don't know that demonstrates your lack of knowledge about the market you're a fan of.

Those are two giant places to be similar. I don't think it's as strong as last year's Suki dex3/Anata Dake ga ballads. And I didn't even like Suki dex3 that much. Anata Dake ga, though, is amazing. My favorite Koda Kumi ballad will always be a toss up between Futari de... and hands though.

I'm not a fan of Ikimono-gakari. The timbre of the lead singer's voice disagrees with my ears.

TurtwigFan1

burning it down
I love "A" it is so catchy and adorable of a song.

IS Rainbow releasing more stuff in Japanese?

Tried some 2NE1 songs and SnSD, it is all too bubblegummy for my tastes.

Can you recommend anything else from Rainbow, in either Japanese or Korean?

I'd guess at yes. The 'A' single album also had a Japanese version of Gossip Girl and the single reached #3 on the Oricon daily and weekly charts - which is pretty impressive for a Korean debut. So we'll probably get some more Japanese Rainbow.

SNSD I can agree with but 2NE1 bubblegummy? They're probably the least bubblegum girl group out there. And try SNSD's Japanese album, that's not 'cute' and 'girly'.

For Rainbow recommendations, my favourite songs are A, Gossip Girl, SO COOL, TO ME and Mach.

MeltingCORE

Yay, good to see this forum has a J-Pop/K-Pop/M-Pop thread.

Well, Ayumi Hamasaki is my favorite artist of all time. But I also really like KOTOKO, Lia, MELL, Utuda Hikaru, alan, BoA, 2NE1, ect. Basically all the I've Sound girls and "J-Pop Queens".

The most recent artists I've gotten into are Ayaka Ikio and Riryka.

Banana Knight Arthur

NEGATIVE MINUS
You cannot disagree that Ayumi is popular because of her lyrics. That's like... disagreeing that the sky is blue or that grass is green. I hate Utada Hikaru, but I still acknowledge that she's one of the first people who did R&B in Japanese music and one of the driving forces that made it popular there. You can hate her all you want, but the fact is she's popular because of her lyrics. The fact that you don't know that demonstrates your lack of knowledge about the market you're a fan of.

Those are two giant places to be similar. I don't think it's as strong as last year's Suki dex3/Anata Dake ga ballads. And I didn't even like Suki dex3 that much. Anata Dake ga, though, is amazing. My favorite Koda Kumi ballad will always be a toss up between Futari de... and hands though.

I'm not a fan of Ikimono-gakari. The timbre of the lead singer's voice disagrees with my ears.

I do not hate Ayumi, I just do not love her.

Take this then, I really like Dearest, what other stuff by Ayumi can you recommend me in the flavor of dearest, please and tkyou.

It's weird because I like Anata Dake ga and Aitakute, but not as much as Ai wo Tomenaide alot more, and you feel opposite.

Nice to see we can disagree without mudslinging like happens in Anime Spoilers.

What other ballads of KK do you recommend.

Also I've yet to find any upbeat music of hers I can like.

I'd guess at yes. The 'A' single album also had a Japanese version of Gossip Girl and the single reached #3 on the Oricon daily and weekly charts - which is pretty impressive for a Korean debut. So we'll probably get some more Japanese Rainbow.

SNSD I can agree with but 2NE1 bubblegummy? They're probably the least bubblegum girl group out there. And try SNSD's Japanese album, that's not 'cute' and 'girly'.

For Rainbow recommendations, my favourite songs are A, Gossip Girl, SO COOL, TO ME and Mach.

Another member today asked me "How do you even know about Rainbow"

And she implied even in Korea, they are relatively unknown, is this so?

I did enjoy "A"s Korean video better. They looked alot cuter there.

Chris-kun

i still believe
I do not hate Ayumi, I just do not love her.

Take this then, I really like Dearest, what other stuff by Ayumi can you recommend me in the flavor of dearest, please and tkyou.

It's weird because I like Anata Dake ga and Aitakute, but not as much as Ai wo Tomenaide alot more, and you feel opposite.

Nice to see we can disagree without mudslinging like happens in Anime Spoilers.

What other ballads of KK do you recommend.

Also I've yet to find any upbeat music of hers I can like.

Well, I'm not trying to convince you to like her. You can dislike her, that's cool with me. I'm just pointing out a factual error in your judgement of her.

Songs like Dearest...? Hmm... CAROLS comes to mind, so do most of her epic grand ballads (No way to say, JEWEL, momentum, HEAVEN, Together when..., You were..., BALLAD, MOON, Virgin Road, and beloved.)

Futari de... and hands :D Those are amazing ballads. So is No Way from UNIVERSE, that's exceptional.

While it's not REALLY a ballad, IN THE AIR from 4 TIMES is also an exceptional song, probably one of my favorite songs released this year period. I'm surprised that you don't like her upbeat music, some of it's even better than her ballads (TABOO <3) and this, which is hands down my favorite Koda Kumi song

Banana Knight Arthur

NEGATIVE MINUS
Well, I'm not trying to convince you to like her. You can dislike her, that's cool with me. I'm just pointing out a factual error in your judgement of her.

Songs like Dearest...? Hmm... CAROLS comes to mind, so do most of her epic grand ballads (No way to say, JEWEL, momentum, HEAVEN, Together when..., You were..., BALLAD, MOON, Virgin Road, and beloved.)

Futari de... and hands :D Those are amazing ballads. So is No Way from UNIVERSE, that's exceptional.

While it's not REALLY a ballad, IN THE AIR from 4 TIMES is also an exceptional song, probably one of my favorite songs released this year period. I'm surprised that you don't like her upbeat music, some of it's even better than her ballads (TABOO <3) and this, which is hands down my favorite Koda Kumi song

It's not so much I dislike her upbeat music, I just have trouble finding it, from what I see she is more of a ballad J-Queen.

I like some of Crystal Kay's upbeat music, like Ex-Boyfriend, which is quite old but a classic.

Chris-kun

i still believe
There's a lot of it out there. TABOO was big on the internet when it came out, if you're looking for an upbeat song, definitely google that one.

One thing Koda Kumi managed to do in the last year was become the literal queen of live, she threw three OUT OF THIS WORLD concerts in 2010, it was amazing.

Retro Mew

Mystical Furball
I haven't listened to a ton of J-pop, but have listened enough to pick out my favorite artists.
Ayumi is my second favorite Japanese artist behind Utada Hikaru. I hate most of Utada's first album but after that I love most everything, especially Heart Station and the new material on Vol. 2 of her singles collection. As for Ayumi; I find her voice to be more suited for faster dance-ier music. Glitter and Last Angel slay everything.

While I don't actually speak much Japanese, I have been teaching myself some here and there and I plan to learn the language the best I can once I have the time. And I look up the most accurate possible translated lyrics to every song I listen to.

Chris-kun

i still believe
I don't quite get the appeal of Hikki. Her voice is awful, she's lazy as ****, and she in general has a bad attitude. She's very cocky, it pisses me off. Plus, her recent music has been so exceptionally bad (Heart Station and This Is The One are two of the worst albums I've ever heard). I love Ultra Blue and Deep River, but other than that, I'm not a fan at all.

TurtwigFan1

burning it down
Another member today asked me "How do you even know about Rainbow"

And she implied even in Korea, they are relatively unknown, is this so?

I did enjoy "A"s Korean video better. They looked alot cuter there.

Their mini albums peaked at 2, 3 and 6 and their highest peaking single was number 3. So I bet a lot of everyday Koreans have never heard of Rainbow, because they're just not as famous as SNSD, 2NE1 and Kara.

So today we were supposed to get SNSD's new single but obviously we didn't due to the delay. I just wish SM Entertainment would tell us what's happening, I'm getting so frustrated.

Are there any other AKB48 fans here? Beginner, Heavy Rotation and Flying Get are all really, really good. And I love how their singles come with three other songs every time.

TabiPianist

'Dis ma game face!!
I like to listen to jpop kiroro. She has a cool voice.i discovered her completely by accident thanks to a typo in the search bar.

TurtwigFan1

burning it down
AKB48 is a blight on the music of the world.

I think I just have a love for Asian girl groups. Why do you think they're a 'blight'? I'm never going to learn all of their names though, I only know 2 and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Chris-kun

i still believe
I think I just have a love for Asian girl groups. Why do you think they're a 'blight'? I'm never going to learn all of their names though, I only know 2 and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Because they're literally spank-bank material for dirty old men. That's like, all they are. It's disgusting. Also their music is the epitome of generic.