• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Kalos League Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syrion93

I'm thinking of a reason to keep watching. What is the point ? Ash finally had a legit shot at winning the league, Alain did not even want to win and Ash still lost. It is just unbelievable.

No matter where he goes next, he is still going to lose. I have lost all my future expectations and if Serena leaves him after he goes to the new region, that will be it for me.

I JUST CANNOT HOLD ALL THESE FEELS

diakyu

Good news is, we probably get reserves/Oakers next series because of the amount of Gen 1 new forms. So there could be that. Still not happy with the challenge thing.
Ash's Pokemon are not going to suddenly mutate if they come to Alola lol.

Lance The Champ

The Aura Guardian
And Alain didn't even want to enter the Kalos league. He just entered becuase he wanted to see Ash-Greninja's true strength and feel the passion of battling whereas Ash has been competing for years and his DREAM is to win a pokemon league. Where's the justice?

Grephlosion

I guess I'm not done.

I get it, Greninja was far and away the most popular pokemon in this group of starters. Ash has never evolved a water starter all the way, and seeing him do that this season was nice.

HOWEVER, Ash has 20 years in this game, and he's got 20 years with Charmander/Charizard. if ANYONE should've fought against Alain this season as a "demonstration of how far Ash has came" it should've been Ash's Charizard. They wasted the Ash-Greninja arc and they wasted an opportunity here. Ash should've gotten the Charizardite Y, over Trevor who's a ****ing HORRID trainer. It's a wonder he made the league at all.

Just disappointing, they blew this whole season now in my opinion. There was no point.

This is a great point. With all of the effort put into the Greninja arc, for him to lose the Charizard fight AND play a role in Ash not involving HIS Charizard in the league, that is really frustrating.

Maybe his Pikachu will evolve while in the Alola region ;)

Mr. Reloaded

Cause a pirate is free
I can't believe that there were people (here and across the web) who honestly believed that Ash would win the league. People, who've bee watching this from the beginning, actually believed this. People shouldn't be disappointed with the writers; this is the result everyone should've expected.

The Greninja build up misled us. That's what went wrong here. The narrative didn't know what it wanted to do with itself.

yuoke

Treasure huntin'
And Alain didn't even want to enter the Kalos league. He just entered becuase he wanted to see Ash-Greninja's true strength and feel the passion of battling whereas Ash has been competing for years and his DREAM is to win a pokemon league. Where's the justice?

The justice is that you have to have the most powerful pokemon.

Grephlosion

The Greninja build up misled us. That's what went wrong here. The narrative didn't know what it wanted to do with itself.

Something needs to happen with Greninja in this final Team Flare arc (or maybe he can stick around for another region?). So much build up to only end in losing the league?

Xeogran

Marshadow Fan
Alright. The BGM usage was disappointing in this League - XY&Z was the only spotlight "battle-fitting" song. Stubborn staff refused to use any old soundtrack even for that kind of an important battle, even though nothing was stopping them and it would've improved watching the matches tenfold.

Keeping XY "fresh", without past season references is what was it's downfall. Seriously, not even five seconds of Delia and Oak watching Ash progress. Nothing.

Thanks to B/W the real life children got accustomed to Ash's reserve pokemon and his backstory (All of his friends on the last BW Decorola Ending). So why are they afraid to actually show them on screen again?

Red and Blue

I'm just happy that the people who were being cautious and doubtful about Ash winning were validated.

Lance The Champ

The Aura Guardian
The justice is that you have to have the most powerful pokemon.

Umm so Ash-Greninja who nearly destroyed Diantha's Mega Gardevoir isn't one of the most powerful?

Grephlosion

Isn't there a spinoff anime that focuses on one-off stories that showcases supporting characters seen throughout the anime series?

Alright. The BGM usage was disappointing in this League - XY&Z was the only spotlight "battle-fitting" song. Stubborn staff refused to use any old soundtrack even for that kind of an important battle, even though nothing was stopping them and it would've improved watching the matches tenfold.

Keeping XY "fresh", without past season references is what was it's downfall. Seriously, not even five seconds of Delia and Oak watching Ash progress. Nothing.

Thanks to B/W the real life children got accustomed to Ash's reserve pokemon and his backstory (All of his friends on the last BW Decorola Ending). So why are they afraid to actually show them on screen again?

Wasn't it a strength as well though? This is an honest question. I thought one reason people like XY is for its willingness to just invest on the here and now (Ash and Serena's relationship, his current Pokemon, mainly Greninja)

I'm thinking of a reason to keep watching. What is the point ? Ash finally had a legit shot at winning the league, Alain did not even want to win and Ash still lost. It is just unbelievable.

No matter where he goes next, he is still going to lose. I have lost all my future expectations and if Serena leaves him after he goes to the new region, that will be it for me.

I JUST CANNOT HOLD ALL THESE FEELS

This kind of gets to why I stopped following the anime as a kid. I loved the original supporting cast and it's hard to get invested in a new cast of supporting characters (who play the role of main characters when they are around) when you know they will be discarded and replaced with another set of characters who will then be discarded for another group...

Chardaddy

Not what I meant, I meant that they have a reason to re-introduce Gen 1 pokes now.

uberfayt2

Nema Paladin
No surprise here, ash is destined to lose, damn writers. However, even if he did win, i wouldn't have called it a true victory as unlike sinnoh for example, the battles were too blunt and in the end he only relies on his greninja...no hype there. And finally I was disappointed with how well ash took his defeat and how unsurprised he was, kinda like "oh well, it's just a stupid game who gives a f***", which contradicts his supposed determination for winning. I'm out.

Vernikova

Champion
I have no will to reply to the respondents.

Because it has never happened surely it can never happen. I could take your comment, replace "win the league" with "fully evolve his water Pokemon" and nothing would change if I said it pre-XY. It can happen, and it might happen one day.

Do you believe that the writers hold "not giving Ash a second-stage Water-type Pokemon" on the same level as him winning a league from the games? Your comparison is lacking.

So did you believe that Ash would win the league due to "narrative"? Please. You should already hold a "believe it when I see it attitude" when it comes to this. Narrative hints are useless for poorly written series.

This kind of optimism should've died with the Sinnoh League. The Unova League was not a fluke.

Lord Trollbias

Y'all Salty Bishes
Anyway y'all need to calma calma. Ash lost? ok. We should all be used to that by now. We go again in 3/6 years.

Syrion93

What is funny to me, is that Ash smiled after he lost. It just shows that he is fine with losing, he just got used to it by now I guess.

This episode for me was really disappointing and there is literally no point of watching anymore, especially if Serena leaves. Oh wel

ZettaSlowKing

Wow... That was just.... I'm at a loss for words here. Not the way I wanted to see this battle go down.

I always had a feeling in the back of my head that the Destructo Disk would backfire on Ash but even then... It was just unfair the way that Ash was dealt this loss.
I mean, here we have Ash and Alain battling it out with Greninja arguably kicking the tar out of Charizard. Not to mention that this battles been built up since early
XYZ as Ash's big wall to overcome. And then you're gonna tell me that after all that so called "endurance" training and the whole "depression arc" that simply USING
the Destructo Disk is what takes him out? As Paul would say: "Pathetic". And no, I'm not talking about Ash here. That honor goes to the writers.

They did Ash, and by extension the viewers, all dirty here, no doubt about it. Ever since the Sinnoh League, we've seen glimpses of Ash being "Good Enough" to win
this tournament. Obviously, Tobias was there to stop him there. We all knew that going in. No doubt about it. Obviously, the Unova Leagues the big Elephant in the
room with Ash getting dumped off by Cameron. But at least in that battle he went down with a fight. The way that Ash lost to Alain though was straight deflating. And
I don't care if we get a rematch in or after the Flare Arc where Ash 'wins'. This should have been Ash's big moment to hold that trophy high and for the viewers to
finally be satisfied with Ash winning the dang thing. But no. Instead its the same old story.

Don't even get me started on Alain. Dude had no business in this league in the first place. But his intense, burning mancrush for Ash drove him to kick Ash right
in the dreams. Not to mention that this dude has been a brooding little you know what since Mega Evo Act IV. And you're gonna let that mess win the league
over "Trusts his Pokemon/Overall Good Guy" Ash? I'd rather have Tobias come back to crush him.

Honestly, after all the losses and a**pulls that Ash has been through, I'd be surprised if the kid doesn't have some form of PTSD at this point. He's been through
enough to deserve winning a freaking league. I wouldn't even care if the first E4 member dropped him as long as he won. But hey, even if it does eventually happen,
it ain't happening any time soon.

Oh well. Time to wait for Sun and Moon to come out so that we may re-enter the vicious cycle of pain. Perhaps one of these days the writer gods shall come forth and
bestow mercy upon us. :p

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.