• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Kalos League - One Year Later

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
Here's another argument I have heard: it was Ash's fault he lost the league. He invited Alain to the league and failed to deliver on his own merit as a trainer. Basically, people should have been mad at Ash for fighting a trainer he could not defeat.

A lot of the recent leagues were controversial, like how Sinnoh had Ash lose to a cheater with a team made entirely of legendaries

I want you to name me the episode and the time stamp that said legendaries are illegal in leagues. If they can be used in Battle Frontiers, I fail to see why leagues are somehow an exception.

Honestly, I've seen this argument way too many times to the point I think they're watching episodes on silent and guessing the dialogue.

Last edited:

Lord Trollbias

Y'all Salty Bishes
I want you to name me the episode and the time stamp that said legendaries are illegal in leagues. If they can be used in Battle Frontiers, I fail to see why leagues are somehow an exception.

Honestly, I've seen this argument way too many times to the point I think they're watching episodes on silent and guessing the dialogue.
Because Legendaries being banned in real life VGC apparently means they should be banned in Anime Regional tournaments according to some. To which I laugh. Tobias literally posed with Cynthia, Regional Champion, and Goodshow, President of the Pokemon League. If what he was doing was illegal they'd know.
Plus if people are that salty he'd just use his non-Legendary Pokemon that he caught his Legends with and beat Ash with them.

Caseydia

Ace Trainer
Here's another argument I have heard: it was Ash's fault he lost the league. He invited Alain to the league and failed to deliver on his own merit as a trainer. Basically, people should have been mad at Ash for fighting a trainer he could not defeat.

The problem stems from writing. They should have kept him in his own side story instead of brining his into Ash's. He probably would have still lost to some random trainer anyway.

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
The problem stems from writing. They should have kept him in his own side story instead of brining his into Ash's. He probably would have still lost to some random trainer anyway.

If the writer's intented for Ash to lose regardless, then bringing in Alain who had his own series and development was a much better move than bringing in another random trainer.

U.N. Owen

Here's a list of stupid things said after the league:

1) Alain cheated because it was really sunny, so Malva or Lysandre might have casted sunny day
Objection 1: Let's ignore that Alain was using other pokemon who would probably not reap those benefits. It doesn't change or affect the outcome of those battles.

2) Alain cheated because the mega ring was sapping energy from mega evolution and giving it to Charizard.
Objection 1: This implies that Ash-Greninja is a mega evolution.
Objection 2: This is outright counterproductive on Lysandre's part, considering he needed energy.

3) Ash deserved to be champion because he saved the world.
Objection 1: This is the same logic the pity badges we detest uses to justify themselves

4) Ash deserved to win because if he doesn't, Alain will make off with Serena and Ash-Greninja.
Objection 1: Slippery slope fallacy. That is all.

Darthlord7

The Smug Pikachu

1) Alain cheated because it was really sunny, so Malva or Lysandre might have casted sunny day
Objection 1: Let's ignore that Alain was using other pokemon who would probably not reap those benefits. It doesn't change or affect the outcome of those battles.

2) Alain cheated because the mega ring was sapping energy from mega evolution and giving it to Charizard.
Objection 2: This is outright counterproductive on Lysandre's part, considering he needed energy.

Objection 1: This is the same logic the pity badges we detest uses to justify themselves

4) Ash deserved to win because if he doesn't, Alain will make off with Serena and Ash-Greninja.

LOL who did spout all this nonsense? :eek:

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy

I heard of number 1, and the second excuse once or twice, but beyond that I've never heard of excuse number 3 or 4. That's beyond ridiculous.

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.

I heard the first 2 but the last one is just plain ridiculous. Everyone knows he wants to rekt the 10 year old Manon and make out with his Mega Gloryzard X. U_U I remember also being told that everything like the storylines of Delia and the Furfrou trainer telling him to win the Kalos League, Ash Greninja syncing into perfection, and how Ash will finally beat Alan for the first time after losing to him before will come into full circle. And how Ash should win for Serebii's sake and how he deserves to win, having the perfect team, and how the title basically confirms that Ash is going to win. Is this thread really necessary for an anniversary?? It's actually really funny seeing Mega Charizard X move to the side for a bit but quickly got back into place while Greninja fainted. :p

Last edited:

U.N. Owen

LOL who did spout all this nonsense? :eek:
I heard of number 1, and the second excuse once or twice, but beyond that I've never heard of excuse number 3 or 4. That's beyond ridiculous.
I heard the first 2 but the last one is just plain ridiculous. Everyone knows he wants to rekt the 10 year old Manon and make out with his Mega Gloryzard X. U_U I remember also being told that everything like the storylines of Delia and the Furfrou trainer telling him to win the Kalos League, Ash Greninja syncing into perfection, and how Ash will finally beat Alan for the first time after losing to him before will come into full circle. And how Ash should win for Serebii's sake and how he deserves to win, having the perfect team, and how the title basically confirms that Ash is going to win. Is this thread really necessary for an anniversary?? It's actually really funny seeing Mega Charizard X move to the side for a bit but quickly got back into place while Greninja fainted. :p

Reddit, salty youtube comments, and bulba and serebii.

satopi

Reddit, salty youtube comments, and bulba and serebii.
All of them besides the majority of Serebii are terrible anyway. Alan won fair and square, not his business that Ash has a problem with being a trash trainer in his final League battles.

CMButch

Kanto is love. Kanto is life.
Stated many times but, Kalos league could've been way better.

1. Ash could've used reserves.
2.Top 8 battles should've been 6 vs 6.
3.Furfou trainer was no-important
4. Ash vs Astrid should've been fully shown
5. Ash vs Tomo should've been longer.
6.League should've been 8 episodes.
7. There was a filler IIRC between Ash vs Sawyer and Ash vs Alain, so they rather put filler instead of showing Ash vs Astrid. SMH.

Only good things: Ash vs Alain and Ash vs Sawyer that's 4 episodes. 4 episodes!! That's like a length of 1 tournament in BW. lol

Daniel31

HopingGaryReturns

7. There was a filler IIRC between Ash vs Sawyer and Ash vs Alain, so they rather put filler instead of showing Ash vs Astrid. SMH.

Only good things: Ash vs Alain and Ash vs Sawyer that's 4 episodes. 4 episodes!! That's like a length of 1 tournament in BW. lol
Pretty much this. Within the first two episodes, we only got to see Ash use a total of two moves in his league battles, and proceed to the semis.

I also always agreed about the Astrid battle, I mean we see/hear Malva mention Astrid's Mega Absol in the beginning of the second league episode, and then we see it get knocked out immediately, sigh...

satopi

The worst mistreated victim went to Mega Charizard Y and his battle. Man, he just had to be owned by a trash trainer and challenged by a tough, powerhouse with no chance of winning nor getting a dignified loss.

Epicocity

In what world was the episode between the semis and finals filler...? It was literally the exact leadup to the Flare arc that introduced Mairin to the main cast, explained the Bond Phenomenon and showed everything Lysandre was up to before leading directly into the finals. Wasn't aware that was filler.

I know people didn't like the Kalos League, but to call that episode filler is ridiculous. (and I still don't know why people want to see three oneshots from Greninja in the Tomo battle when the implication was enough...)

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
More time for Tomo and Astrid means those fights didn't have to be one shots. Also was a wasted opportunity for Mega Altaria. (not even a cameo in the Volcanion movie the poor thing!)

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
In what world was the episode between the semis and finals filler...? It was literally the exact leadup to the Flare arc that introduced Mairin to the main cast, explained the Bond Phenomenon and showed everything Lysandre was up to before leading directly into the finals. Wasn't aware that was filler.

I know people didn't like the Kalos League, but to call that episode filler is ridiculous. (and I still don't know why people want to see three oneshots from Greninja in the Tomo battle when the implication was enough...)

Yeah agreed. I feel the one thing they should've done was to actually show Ash vs Astrid's full 3 vs 3 match to give Noivern a valuable win, and of course removing the Furfrou guy to give Ash vs Tomo a bit more time.

Ash vs Astrid 3 vs 3 should've replaced Sawyer vs Tierno 3 vs 3, which was a pretty good battle, but wasn't needed to be shown in place of Ash's match. If they wanted to show Mega Sceptile, they could've just cut to the final battle between Raichu vs Sceptile and show him Mega evolving.

OshyHikari

c l a r i t y

This. If Alain was too powerful for Ash, then I think that Ash should not have entered.

Alain's motivation was only to battle Ash again. He didn't even aim to become the champion.

Epicocity

Yeah agreed. I feel the one thing they should've done was to actually show Ash vs Astrid's full 3 vs 3 match to give Noivern a valuable win, and of course removing the Furfrou guy to give Ash vs Tomo a bit more time.

Ash vs Astrid 3 vs 3 should've replaced Sawyer vs Tierno 3 vs 3, which was a pretty good battle, but wasn't needed to be shown in place of Ash's match. If they wanted to show Mega Sceptile, they could've just cut to the final battle between Raichu vs Sceptile and show him Mega evolving.

While I agree with Astrid, or at least vs. Absol, I'm one of the few people that actually thinks XYZ 32 was stellar writing. I mean, the whole point of the episode was showing Ash and Alain were on the relative same level as trainers given they were oneshotting. Maybe people wanted more against Tomo, but the point was literally that Ash oneshotted his team. To make the battle longer would have undercut that point.

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
This. If Alain was too powerful for Ash, then I think that Ash should not have entered.

Alain's motivation was only to battle Ash again. He didn't even aim to become the champion.

But that's Ash's whole goal of every region. Ash will always enter a league Tournament since that's what he strives for, regardless of the opponents he'll face.

Yes, Alain's main aim was actually to battle Ash again, and he did state that he was there to collect the final amounts of Mega Evolution energy as well. But more than that, he entered the league as a way to prove that he was the strongest since he felt that to protect the people he cared about, he couldn't lose anymore.

So I know people will hate me for saying this, but with the TF arc directly continuing from this, it actually made sense plot wise for Alain to actually win.

Lord Trollbias

Y'all Salty Bishes
Would have been even more salt inducing if Alain faced Ash in the Semis, beat Ash, considered his goal achieved then forfeited the final allowing some no name trainer to win the League by default.