• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Kalos League - One Year Later

KingMinun

Dawn/Sinnoh Fan!
I expect him to lose, theres only been 1 time where I thought someone might win a major competition and that's Dawn in the Grand Festival when we had the episode title leak that she was in the finals.

As for the league itself, it sits above BW league and OS league, but behind Sinnoh, Johto and Hoenn. It was rather bland, I never found it exactly exciting and the whole league was over shadowed by Mega evolutions. The Mega evolution being the last pokemon for most of the trainers and getting them the win, Ash's battles also felt overshadowed by the rivals. The rest of the battles were his rivals which is nice, but it was overdone. It was just pretty boring. I really didn't feel like investing in the other pokemon because the final match ups were probably going to be Mega Vs Mega or Mega Vs Greninja.

Thumbs2

The league itself was the worst, and we only saw like 3 battles. I didn't think he'd win since they didn't focus on any of his battles.

mystic9899

Pokemon fan
i didn't really feel anything. he only used his regional team, had horrible pacing, and we only saw two of his battles. animation was good though.

i kinda expected alain to win the league from the very moment we saw him get a badge from korrina. the memes that came out of this league were priceless though lmao.

OshyHikari

c l a r i t y
Not going to happen since the target audience only matters and the anime will keep going anyways since the games are still selling well. Ash is doomed to lose the pointless leagues until the games decline in sales.

And there's also the fact that the Alola League doesn't exist in the anime... or is likely not going to exist.

Leonhart

Imagineer
The league itself was the worst, and we only saw like 3 battles. I didn't think he'd win since they didn't focus on any of his battles.

I didn't kid myself and think he'd win either, but recently I've been thinking that maybe he should have gone ahead and won since there aren't any Gyms in the SM saga (and presumably no League either), so Satoshi winning the Kalos League could have been a decent conclusion to his League quest.

XY Rules

Pokemon Master
I truly hope the writers have learned their lesson after this. The older fans do care if he wins a league or not and maybe the writers will finally listen from here on out.

You're missing a key detail here; they don't care about the older fans in the first place. If they hate it and stop watching the writers couldn't care less. So long as the kids are hooked their job is done.

I'd rather watch Ash lose over and over again than this stupid pointless school plot they're doing in SM though.

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
You're missing a key detail here; they don't care about the older fans in the first place. If they hate it and stop watching the writers couldn't care less. So long as the kids are hooked their job is done.
If the writers didn't care about older fans, then we wouldn't be getting the nostalgia trip that will be SM42 and SM43. I think the writers do care about older fans, but they care more about their target demographic (younger children), and so they prioritize satisfying the target demographic over satisfying the older fans.

ash&charizardfan

Humans are tools
If the writers didn't care about older fans, then we wouldn't be getting the nostalgia trip that will be SM42 and SM43. I think the writers do care about older fans, but they care more about their target demographic (younger children), and so they prioritize satisfying the target demographic over satisfying the older fans.

Well I think writers care more about the current storylines than the older fans. That is the reason why brock and misty were not included in movie 20.

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
Well I think writers care more about the current storylines than the older fans. That is the reason why brock and misty were not included in movie 20.
Caring about the current storyline and catering to older fans aren't really related. The writers can focus on the current storyline while still catering primarily or heavily to older fans. But the fact of the matter is that the anime's target demographic is young children, and the anime writers primarily cater toward that target demographic. It's something we older fans just have to deal with.

ash&charizardfan

Humans are tools
I think they wanted M20 to be a complete separate alternate-universe entity, combining stuff from multiple regions, and not give the impression it's anyway connected to the anime.

Well earlier they did planned to bring all the old characters in but changed afterwards so I think for them storyline was more important than older fans and nostalgia.

Daizy

I call you honey
I knew Ash wouldn't win because of PLOT, but I wish he had used his other Pokemon from Oak's lab.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
I honestly never believed he was going to win.

So I rolled my eyes when his SUPER MEGA ASH-(convenient name)GRENINJA keeled over against a normal Pokemon born and trained in the current century.

It was still a lousy structured league. The Furfrou guy, all the Ash-Greninja focus, the rapid fire matches Ash had, the matches Alain had that seemed to show more than Ash's matches somehow, the ridiculous wariness everyone had for Scottie Shota Sawyer for the ONE time he beat Ash against all the other times he was schooled, the jobbing Noivern, the "yay Goodra is gonna slay!" return only to amount to nothing, the ridiculous Hawlucha focus (especially that strange secret art skill during Alain's match), the fact Alain actually had other Pokemon than then vanished from the face of this strange Earth(?), Trevor having a Mega Evolution that had no development or explanation, the weirdness that was Tierno somehow lacking a Mega Evolution (ditto for the Altaria guy), the insanity of all matches Ash took that devolved into strange inhuman feats (not counting Alain's Charizard), the absurdly low count of trainers participating in the league, Alain's complete lack of feelings for anyone else but his boyfriend whose existence is the entire reason he started creaming gyms in the span of 6 episodes, the constant skipping of Ash's matches...

All of this was worse than the previous league somehow.

Last edited:

Navin

MALDREAD
the jobbing Noivern

B-but he was so Big, and Reliable!

Alain's complete lack of feelings for anyone else but his boyfriend whose existence is the entire reason he started creaming gyms in the span of 6 episodes, the constant skipping of Ash's matches...

He did it for Manon in the end. Getting that Mega Evolution energy, and thinking about her before beating Ash.

Leonhart

Imagineer
I knew Ash wouldn't win because of PLOT, but I wish he had used his other Pokemon from Oak's lab.

I did kind of expect Satoshi to contact Okido-hakase to transfer his reserve Pokemon to Kalos for the League. Not necessarily because of patterns or even a strong desire on my part to see Satoshi's old Pokemon again, but because I didn't think that Satoshi's Kalos Pokemon alone would get him far. But I ended up being wrong on both counts.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
He did it for Manon in the end. Getting that Mega Evolution energy, and thinking about her before beating Ash.

His desire to fight Ash won ultimately. He fought like 3 Mega Evolutions, which was a waste since Lysandre could just whip up more trainers for him to beat.

Besides, if he did it for Mairin, he did it right after Ash brought up the league. Nobody makes up their mind that fast when something critical was already there for some time before the suggestion came.

Navin

MALDREAD
His desire to fight Ash won ultimately. He fought like 3 Mega Evolutions, which was a waste since Lysandre could just whip up more trainers for him to beat.

Besides, if he did it for Mairin, he did it right after Ash brought up the league. Nobody makes up their mind that fast when something critical was already there for some time before the suggestion came.

He fought at least two ME gym leaders + potentially every round at the KL had a ME Pokemon. The league also gave him an outlet to regain himself after that Act III PTSD.

Made me give up the anime for good, lol.

Why though? He reached the finals for the first time.

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
If potentially every round had a Mega then Tierno did pretty well getting top 8 despite having no mega.

Huh.