• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Kalos League - One Year Later

Soniman

Break the Limit
Yes, today is the anniversary of when Ash lost the Kalos League, you know the story, it's one of the most (if not THE MOST) infamous moments in the anime's history and the whole world was watching when it happened. Ash got to the finals for the first (and probably only) time ever and he was set up to win for a variety of reasons but for some reason or another he lost, the whole fandom was sent into a rage and yadda yadda.

I wanna know how you guys felt when you saw it happen how do you still feel about it now, are you still bitter? Dont care??? Thought it was just funny? Which is it?

For me it really made me furious and disappointed in the anime staff in how they write Ash's character and it made me more cynical and disconnected from the anime as a result.

LilyTwo

I was never bitter about Ash losing to Alain. I mean, I was a little disappointed, that much I will say, but considering that Alain had been firmly estabilished as an exceptional trainer who had mastered Mega Evolution and could go toe-to-toe with an Elite Four, I think that losing to him was acceptable. Certainly, a lot more acceptable than losing to a complete pushover (Cameron), or to a plot device that just happened to be able to walk and talk (Tobias).

Plus, considering what happened later, becoming the champion sure didn't turn out to be that great for Alain... Indeed, you could say that while Alain won their battle, Ash showed himself to be the better person.

Darthlord7

The Smug Pikachu
I didn't care since I knew it was coming. But I have to admit that the reactions coming from the salty fans were just priceless and unforgettable. :D

UltimateNinja

Praying for the holy relics
Okay league. Would've called it a good league if there were two more episodes where we see two or three battles Ash was in.

Yeah it looked like he could've won the league, but like previous leagues, him losing was still the most likely case. Well at least Ash didn't lost against a legendary master coming out of nowhere or losing to an rookie like Cameron.

PokemonKnight

#1 Sylveon Fan
Ash's lack of disappointment in his narrow defeat annoyed me more than anything.

Soniman

Break the Limit
Ash's lack of disappointment in his narrow defeat annoyed me more than anything.

Honestly I think that's what made me the most angry about it, not a single scene dedicated to Ash showing any sings of sadness or anything, as if he didnt care, what a load

Red and Blue

I still find it hilarious to this day. It was a perfect example as to why you should keep your hopes and expectations low and not overhype

Spyro39

I was never bitter about Ash losing to Alain. I mean, I was a little disappointed, that much I will say, but considering that Alain had been firmly estabilished as an exceptional trainer who had mastered Mega Evolution and could go toe-to-toe with an Elite Four, I think that losing to him was acceptable. Certainly, a lot more acceptable than losing to a complete pushover (Cameron), or to a plot device that just happened to be able to walk and talk (Tobias).

Plus, considering what happened later, becoming the champion sure didn't turn out to be that great for Alain... Indeed, you could say that while Alain won their battle, Ash showed himself to be the better person.

Alain had no interest in winning the Kalos League. Yet all of a sudden he gathers 8 badges just 7 episodes after Ash told him about the League? Shoehorning him into the Kalos League two episodes later just to stop Ash from winning was about as much of a plot device and BS as Tobias and Cameron. His emotionless face upon receiving the trophy further shows his lack of interest. Ash losing to him was about as acceptable as Ash losing to Tobias and Cameron.

Satoshi & Touko

Peanuts aren't just a nut.
I wasn't disappointed at all. And it's all thanks to not being emotionally invested in this 20-year-old commercial that is designed first and foremost to market merchandise.

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
I was really passionate about Ash winning the League, somewhat misguided by the trolling title and the hype-bait Orange Shuriken. I thought that for the first time in 19 years, he would make it. I broke my iPhone in rage at the loosing moment and couldn't sleep the entire night.

It took months for me to get rid of the salt, it has passed on now. Well, Ash had his best ranking in a League and came as close as ever, but this loss will, at least to some extent, haunt me forever, because I felt betrayed by the writers.

Last edited:

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
Honestly, at the moment Ash Greninja slowly started to collapse, my heart and mind went blank and numb. I wasn't even angry or anything, just dazed and shocked at what happened. Well I guess since this happened during my treatment session, i wasn't exactly in a position to overreact and get super mad either, though knowing myself, I doubt I would have been super mad even if I wasn't in my treatment.

As for the aftermath, well yeah it was a big blow since it basically confirmed once again that the writers would never let Ash achieve his goal anytime soon and that he'd by stuck in his journey. I wasn't so much upset by the battle itself, but rather at the implication of the result and what it really meant for the anime.

PokemonKnight

#1 Sylveon Fan
Honestly I think that's what made me the most angry about it, not a single scene dedicated to Ash showing any sings of sadness or anything, as if he didnt care, what a load

Yeah, it was unrealistic. I don't need Ash to whine for days like he did after the Indigo Fiasco but, at least, show some measure of human emotion! Even professional athletes, who are being paid for their services, show more emotion after heartbreaking defeats. Heck, some are reduced to blubbering messes because their dreams matter to them. Ash's reaction was more suitable for a roadside match.

BS, will always be BS. I gave up on Ash ever winning the second Ash lost. The amount of salt was overloaded to the max

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
Yeah, it was unrealistic. I don't need Ash to whine for days like he did after the Indigo Fiasco but, at least, show some measure of human emotion! Even professional athletes, who are being paid for their services, show more emotion after heartbreaking defeats. Heck, some are reduced to blubbering messes because their dreams matter to them. Ash's reaction was more suitable for a roadside match.

Yeah his reaction was disappointing, but honestly it's either he was happy enough to finish runner up compared to his lowly top 8 finish in Unova, or he was so shocked and numb by all his losses that he couldn't even express himself anymore.

I'm not trying to justify his reaction, but the second reason is something that is realistic since I'm speaking from personal experience. I've had a chronic medical condition for years now, and has been especially extremely rough in the last five years. It got so irritating and bad to the point that whenever the doctor would tell me something bad again, I really couldn't care less anymore since it had reached that point where I can't even react anymore.

Red and Blue

Look at it this way. If Ash won, it could have felt downplayed since the Kalos League was second fiddle to the Flare climax

PokemonKnight

#1 Sylveon Fan
Yeah his reaction was disappointing, but honestly it's either he was happy enough to finish runner up compared to his lowly top 8 finish in Unova, or he was so shocked and numb by all his losses that he couldn't even express himself anymore.

I'm not trying to justify his reaction, but the second reason is something that is realistic since I'm speaking from personal experience. I've had a chronic medical condition for years now, and has been especially extremely rough in the last five years. It got so irritating and bad to the point that whenever the doctor would tell me something bad again, I really couldn't care less anymore since it had reached that point where I can't even react anymore.

You are in my prayers.

The second reason makes sense. Then again, didn't he sort of smile? The kind of smile that was like, "Gee, what a fun match!" I can't recall exactly. Either way, I wanted some sort of reaction. Maybe, a clenched fist.

Spyro39

Look at it this way. If Ash won, it could have felt downplayed since the Kalos League was second fiddle to the Flare climax

Don't think the fans would've cared if the Kalos League was second fiddle or even third fiddle to the climatic ending of the XYZ arc. Just as long as Ash won, they would've been happy.

The majority of the fandom was so shocked at angry at the defeat, that they weren't even excited for the Team Flare arc. TV Tokyo's YouTube upload of the teaser for the next episode got downvoted so aggressively, the dislike-to-like ratio was insane before TV Tokyo privated the video. Last time I remember, that video had 60K dislikes compared to a measly 1K likes.

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
You are in my prayers.

The second reason makes sense. Then again, didn't he sort of smile? The kind of smile that was like, "Gee, what a fun match!" I can't recall exactly. Either way, I wanted some sort of reaction. Maybe, a clenched fist.

Appreciate it.

Well in the change room (or whatever the room was) where Ash and Alain went to before the trophy presentation ceremony, I know Ash did express slight disappointment by apologising that he felt that he let everyone down who were supporting him. It's not much I know, but still something.

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
I thought 'well that sucks but eh' and laughed at the chat imploding in on itself.

Especially with people speculating that Ash would beat Alain during the Team Flare arc except it wouldn't matter because he had no league trophy (ie the only time it matters).

Now I'm just enjoy the endless memes it produced. Alain-stu. DORAGON CURAW. BURAASTO BURN. Ash will never win. Too good not to enjoy.

PokemonKnight

#1 Sylveon Fan
Appreciate it.

Well in the change room (or whatever the room was) where Ash and Alain went to before the trophy presentation ceremony, I know Ash did express slight disappointment by apologising that he felt that he let everyone down who were supporting him. It's not much I know, but still something.

No problem, my friend.

Yeah, I forgot about that. He, (more like the writers) also left that trainer who challenged Ash to a fight down. Good plotline wasted.