• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Kalos League Passion With a Certain Flare! (932)

Hero of Truth

Lillie Fan
Lysandre with that sinister stare looking out at Lumiose City was a beautiful shot. This last leg of buildup to the Team Flare operation was nice.

Never thought I'd say this, but for once I wish the in-game villain plot was as good as what the show has been doing.

If you haven't noticed it already, the XY anime really has improved and/or expanded on topics that in the games were asking for improvement like Gym Leaders, the TF plot etc.

Still wish for a AZ appearance, even though his chances are slim which is a shame because I was really looking forward to him and his Eternal Floette.

SceptileTheBanana

DRAGON TAIL!
Does anyone know the name of the track that was playing as Ash was talking to his Pokemon right before Lysandre showed up? I figured it was from the Diancie or Keldeo movie since that's what the majority of XY's soundtrack is but I cant find this one anywhere.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Seriously, why can't we have quiet setup episodes like this? It actually makes me feel for the characters, especially when Mairin was nearly breaking into tears.

That lunch scene with everyone just looked so wrong on SSS's part. You have others than your Explorer Sceptile too! They need food! Or did the writers not find a plausible way to show Aegislash eating?

Uh, Trevor, there are surely over a dozen Chespin in Kalos, and somehow you know for sure at first glance that was Clemont's?

Ha ha. Malva knows about Alain's creepy obsession with Ash, and she ships them.

Malva: Battling the strongest trainers to become the strongest?
Alain: *stoically to the woman who knows his intentions* It is not because of that.

Later that night...

Alain: *to Sycamore, whom he had been pushing off all this time* I must become the strongest.

Wha...?

Everyone! Everything's gonna be okay tomorrow! All ongoing problems will be solved! Ahh, how the universe will be right with Ash winning a league at last...

Lastly, a background thing. What's the story with all those 3 Espurr on the baby carriage?

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
This whole episode was a prime example of why I have such mixed feelings for the Kalos League. While most of the battles felt rushed hardly showed off Ash's skills as a trainer (something that even the Unova League did better since they showed him battling in more than just the final rounds), the moments in between the battles were definitely well developed and really fleshed out the characters. The scenes where Marin was almost about to burst into tears was one of the series' most emotional moments, and I couldn't help but feel suspense when Ash was talking to Lysandre near the end of episode.

There's another reason why I didn't like the battles, but it's been brought up so many times that I don't want to talk about it |:p

Last edited:

Vipsoccermaster

A fine episode. It's a little odd that Ash doesn't know what might hit him after he agreed to meet up with Lysandre. Oh well. Onto the finals of the Kalos League, which we all know what the outcome is going to be.

Pikachu52

It's a good mid-league episode. Sets up for both the Ash vs Alain episodes and the final of the Team Flare arch after, builds tension and gives the audience a break from the monotony of battles. A number of small but important events happen; Xerosic takes over Prisim Tower (the replacement of the ultimate weapon), Ash meets Lysandre, Ash and friends meet Mairin and learn about Chespie and Ash and Alain are both seen preparing for their battle. Sawyer's crying was a little unnecessary - he's a novice trainer. Did he serioulsy expect to make the finals or win the league. Honestly he's done better than any he reasonably should have - a beginner who started out sending Bagon to battle Spritzee making it to the top four of the Kalos leauge. It took Ash four regions to get that far. He didn't reach the top 8 of the leauge (roughly the same position as Sawyer in a normal leauge) until the Silver Conference in Johto. We also finally learn about the Bond Phemonea - Personally I'm disappointed that all the details we get about this substitute Mega Power came down to a few seconds of conversation between Ash and Sycamore where Sycamore basically says "it's because Greninja's special." Given Greninja's time is nearly up and there are only about 10 or less epsiodes to go until the end, it seems unlikely we're going to get more information than that. And given what happens at the end of this series, it's unlikely it will be followed up in S&M (unless Poplio can Sychro evolve too). That makes it seem more and more likely Bond Phenoma was just a gimmick to get around Ash not using an actual Mega - A shame considering Ash had four Pokémon capable of using it. The concept itself was inspired but it's kinda fallen flat doing nothing other than to glorify Greninja. Why couldn't :501: have that power - he chose Ash as his trainer too following him out of Juniper's lap, is wayyy cuter than Greninja and a funnier personality. The explanation didn't even distinguish why it was Greninja's ability and not anyone else's - Greninja's no closer to Ash than Goodra or any of the others and way less so than Pikachu. It's never shown any open affection for Ash the way Pikachu, Oshawott, Cyndaquil, Bayleaf and several of the others have. What makes it so special - is left unexplained. Oh well onto to the final - Team Ash all the way (even though I know what happens).

Last edited:

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
. . . The concept itself was inspired but it's kinda fallen flat doing nothing other than to glorify Greninja. Why couldn't :501: have that power - he chose Ash as his trainer too following him out of Juniper's lap, is wayyy cuter than Greninja and a funnier personality . . .
That's pretty much what killed Oshawott's chances of evolving at all. It was just too cute and marketable, whereas for Froakie had a better chance since it was Ash's only starter and Greninja was steadily rising in popularity

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
Why couldn't :501: have that power - he chose Ash as his trainer too following him out of Juniper's lap, is wayyy cuter than Greninja and a funnier personality. The explanation didn't even distinguish why it was Greninja's ability and not anyone else's - Greninja's no closer to Ash than Goodra or any of the others and way less so than Pikachu. It's never shown any open affection for Ash the way Pikachu, Oshawott, Cyndaquil, Bayleaf and several of the others have. What makes it so special - is left unexplained. Oh well onto to the final - Team Ash all the way (even though I know what happens).

Oshawott was simply a gag. It was nothing of value and should be beaten to death by the rest of his species for being a clingy Piplup-lite.

Pikachu52

It's pretty glaring Prism Tower got so easily taken over without much effort. I thought Clemont had put a security system? Where did those Magnemite and Magneton get to?

Lapse security seems endemic in the Pokémon world. In the games Team Flare take over the Kalos Power Plant and the Pokéball factory fairly easily. In the anime Team Rocket do the same - with only two People and four Pokémon. In fact the games are full of terrorist like villainous teams taking over public building, Team Rocket takes over Pokémon tower and the Goldenrod Radio Tower, Team Aqua/Magma in the Weather institute, the Space Centre and a submarine, Team Galactic the valley wind works, Team Plasma the Pokémon league itself and Opelucid City. The security system kept out trainers without 4 gym badges that didn't put up any resistance - this was a large gang of Flare Grunts who had been training to battle a legendary Pokémon and whom wielded advanced equipment.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Lapse security seems endemic in the Pokémon world. In the games Team Flare take over the Kalos Power Plant and the Pokéball factory fairly easily. In the anime Team Rocket do the same - with only two People and four Pokémon. In fact the games are full of terrorist like villainous teams taking over public building, Team Rocket takes over Pokémon tower and the Goldenrod Radio Tower, Team Aqua/Magma in the Weather institute, the Space Centre and a submarine, Team Galactic the valley wind works, Team Plasma the Pokémon league itself and Opelucid City. The security system kept out trainers without 4 gym badges that didn't put up any resistance - this was a large gang of Flare Grunts who had been training to battle a legendary Pokémon and whom wielded advanced equipment.

But we didn't see anything to suggest security was tight.

Vipsoccermaster

But we didn't see anything to suggest security was tight.
A region never has extra security until after the villainous team attacks that region, after the whole ordeal is done. On the other hand, how would the team advance in their plans if security is at like top notch for a particular region? Then again, extra security isn't needed since all the villainous teams, save for Team Rocket and Giovanni, are disbanded, never to be heard again.

Soaring Pikachu

Cool Trainer
I also thought it was really freaky how Trevor was able to recognize Chespin. Maybe if it were wearing a scarf or a hat or something I could see being able to spot the resemblance but this borders on super human intuition. Actually now that you mention it the security does feel really light for a league. First a trainer without enough badges gets inside a participant area and now a gang of Flare thugs. Where is officer Jenny? They had like five Jenny's present with other law enforcement at the Kanto tournament.

Orton155

Pokemon Enthusiast
The day before...

I thought this set up the final well. We saw the finalists preparation: Alain training hard to the end and Ash enjoying some time with his friends including making a new one. I feel so sorry for Marin, must be really hard to put up a front all the time while she is constantly worrying about Chespy. However, I thought it was great she got along with Bonnie and Serena.

We have Team Flare bubbling in the background ready to pounce so there is now is the final battle.

I can't wait onto the next one!

the1stpkmnfan

Your Big Buff Bro
This was surprisingly the best episode (In my opinion) of this League pre-Finals. This ought to have been the first episode, so to speak.

Mairin is so underused, but I'm glad for the time she gets on screen.

Malva is really cool too; she really shines with her persona.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Well it was good to see Mairin come back in time for the finals and to finally see Sylveon in the picnic scene after a while of not seeing her. At least the plot moved forward almost the final part of Team Flare's operation by taking over Prism Tower because it was closed and it explains why Meyer and Clembot were out of their usual place and were at the picnic. Well things did get pretty suspicious when Lysandre first met Ash on the eve of the Kalos League finals.

Leonhart

Imagineer
This was a nice breather episode, which gave us a nice break from the action. Harimaron getting lost reminded me of Kibago's stunt at the Isshu League, although at least we saw Manon. Fladelis speaking with Satoshi was interesting, too.

Mairin finding Chespin was nice and I felt so bad for her when she crying for her own Chespin. It was nice to see Mairin interact with the other characters too. She seemed to click well with Serena and Bonnie the most. Professor Sycamore showing up with research on Greninja does make me wonder if his research on Squishy resulted in anything.

Leonhart

Imagineer
FullmetalJackie said:
She seemed to click well with Serena and Bonnie the most..

Which made me wish that she had stayed with them when the League ended. She would've made a good companion for XY&Z's last few episodes.