• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Kalos, Where Dreams and Adventures Begin! (804)

SerenaForTheWin

Yusarin >_<
very good first episode

yeah i know sadly wish they could see more though it, but oh well its the first episode so we can't expect much

I'm going to say I like the Kalos saga having less episodes like this one, and more like XY009-XY010, if that makes sense.

The best part of this episode by far was when Ash was screaming saying he'd arrived in the Kalos Region, while all the citizens of the region looked at him like the guy was crazy.

Last edited:

luigiis

Luck of Penguins
I'm watching the half hour episode right now and I like how they remixed the first theme song.

yuoke

Treasure huntin'
I'm watching the half hour episode right now and I like how they remixed the first theme song.

Yea, but of course because of CN and their commercials, it has to be cut in half from the original. Oh well though, the movie version should be great.

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
Ash showed more skill in the first ep then all of BW lol

The new theme remix was wonderful even if short but I blame FCC and not the dubbers since networks seems to really cut down themes these days. All the voices fit so well but some parts felt redubbed like the gym computer voice doesn't sound like it did in the preview to me.

yuoke

Treasure huntin'
Ash showed more skill in the first ep then all of BW lol

The new theme remix was wonderful even if short but I blame FCC and not the dubbers since networks seems to really cut down themes these days. All the voices fit so well but some parts felt redubbed like the gym computer voice doesn't sound like it did in the preview to me.

It is the exact same voice, I dvr'd the preview and just saw it again recently.

G4Pokefan

THE AURA IS WITH ME
Even though I saw the preview a few months back, I
Watched it like it was new. And to watch the opening. Them remixing the original song was a surprise. And the animation was on point. TR remixing the kanto/hoenn music was cool too. Not that generic music they were using the last few years. Wobuffett may prove real useful this time around. Jessie wasn't even annoyed with it. And I think I'm going to like this new animation style this generation. Makes the anime more turnt up!!

Last edited:

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
It is the exact same voice, I dvr'd the preview and just saw it again recently.

Ah really? I thought it was a higher voice last time. My bad

Episode Review of XY001:

Honestly, fairly weak opening for the start of a series: it's literally the most bland and generic one yet in my eyes. Ash is still on the plane to the Kalos Region with Alexa and he gets off, shouting and proclaiming that he has arrived in the Region, with all the townspeople staring at him like he's nuts (this was funny, I admit). Then, Alexa questioned him on why he did so, and he basically said he was trying to express his joy at making it there, saying hello to it (in the Original JPN Version, there was no cool speak in that line), more or less. Then, Alexa decides to leave a bit later. So, then, we get Ash trying to go into a gym because, heck, there was such a need to do so! Then, he gets his butt fried and nearly falls on the ground, but is saved by Clemont with his inflatable bag and meets him as well as his little sister, Bonnie. Then, the three discuss who they are and why they are here, and Bonnie as well as Clemont show a keen interest in Ash. Then, Clemont and Ash decide to battle, until idiot Team Rocket decide to interfere and pull their usual crap. Then, the most dramatic part of the episode appears when Ash says he'll never give up against TRio in a fantastic 1-2 line speech, where Bonnie and Clemont simply smile and agree in a "hmmm" tone, because that was obviously the hardest TPC JPN tried making this episode. They end up getting owned by a Froakie that watched Ash fend TR off that then helps Ash out, but is injured in the process, and thus the episode ends off with them rushing to Sycamore's lab to get it healed.

So, in short, it was pretty lame and sucked: a 65/100 is a fair enough rating for this.

Dub Review of XY001:

Well, none of the English dub voices fit the characters' or their ages at all, apart from Clemont and Serena's. I'll admit that those two have good English dub voice actors: the rest range from bad to horrific depending on the character, but then given how the English dub of Pokemon has been over the last several years, I'm not too surprised at the lower standards TPCi have brought to it at this point. Why? Well:

--> Ash's voice has gotten deeper than it was in BW (that's not a good thing considering how old Ash is), and now Sarah sounds like she's using her DP Ash dub voice here, with her improved acting skills from BW's dub, in the XY dub. Problem is, the voice itself doesn't work at all, especially considering Ash is still 10 years old. I miss Veronica Taylor playing him in all seriousness: I want to chuckle at this guy's goofy antics and silliness, but cry when he gets emotional and worked up, but I can't do this anymore in the English dub because I just cringe instead anytime he does so. Only way I can somewhat enjoy this is by watching Rica Matsumoto do so these days, but even that has gone flat due to TPC JPN's weaker writing it recent years, and this episode is a good example of that. So, Ash's dub voice is bad now, but it's better than I can say for Team Rocket or Bonnie.

--> James' sounds more congested and nasally than ever before: I'm actually literally having trouble trying to understand what he's saying half the time now, and some of the phrases he used in this episode were never used before in the history of the English dub. I mean, was "swala" really necessary when he threw the collar at Garchomp? I've never been a fan of Carter in this role, always finding his rendition of the role a bad Hoenn Stuart imitation with a nasally tone, but that sounds too good to be him now. He just sounds like a fat older man with a cold now in the dub, and considering how old James is, it doesn't fit at all. While also bad, the next three dub voices are the worst of the lot.

--> Jessie sounds like Michele has gone back to using that valley girl tone in her tone and unfortunately it seems like the higher-pitched registered she used for the character in DP's dub is slipping out again. I really don't know why Knotz has to be so inconsistent in this role: sometimes, she'll do great (e.g. BF's dub, BW's dub), and other times she'll do terrible (e.g. DP's dub, here in XY's dub), but it's jarring to hear her regress as the character once again. IMO, she should use her BW dub voice for Jessie again: that's way better than this one.

--> Meowth's dub voice is the worst of the remaining OS characters, though: don't know what happened to Carter in the role, but he's absolutely unbearable as Meowth now. Not only has he continued to get worse and worse with each progressive saga TPCi has dubbed in the role, but he keeps adding more gravel and deep tone in addition to that. Hearing him say "Meowth, that's right" made my ears hurt just hearing him talk. Honestly, Carter was way better in BF's dub than he is now as Meowth: at least back then, he was trying to imitate Maddie a bit and Inuko Inuyama, but now...I don't know what he's doing. Is he smoking cigarettes before recording, or what? Horrific voice, bad acting = no.

--> Bonnie's dub voice is...awful. Rarely does the English dub mess up casting a characters' voice correctly the first time in Pokemon's case, but this is an exception to that. Her voice sounds more like an adult woman's than anything else, and additionally it is very screechy and inappropriate: it's definitely not the voice I imagined coming out of the character, and Alyson Rosenfeld needs a LOT of work to iron out her performance here. Honestly, I think she was completely miscast in this role.

The dub's script writing? Simply awful. Ash's *cool speak* returns with "sayin' hi-ya" as well as out of context lines like "I slept like a log," and TR can't go 3-4 minutes without some rhyme, alliteration, assonance, and the like. "One more pushy wushy," "swala," and "Then you're going to be seeing re-runs" being the worst lines in my eyes from Meowth, James, and Jessie, respectively. Even Bonnie seems to suffer from this, with "you are such annoying bad people!" making me cringe. Someone please fire Cathcart and Z Pang America already, please: put them out of their misery already-- they can't write for crap.

In short, the current English dub is still sucking as much as I thought it would, and to quote someone's response watching it on YouTube: "This dub hurts my ears. 1 minute in, and my ears are bleeding." While that is an exaggeration even in my eyes, it is quite bad indeed.

That being said, I have no room to judge the full remix yet if that is the dub's 17th Opening, but based off of the preview in the XY Trailer, it sucked there. I'll have to hear it in full before I can have an actual opinion on it, though.

Keep in mind this is just my opinion and I have nothing against you if you disagree, though.

Last edited:

NPT

Just a member
The new remixed version of Pokémon theme song was a nice surprise, It was great, but.....it was too Short. Only 30 seconds! Geez, CN should've cut some of their commercials for a longer opening.

The new remixed version of Pokémon theme song was a nice surprise, It was great, but.....it was too Short. Only 30 seconds! Geez, CN should've cut some of their commercials for a longer opening.

Yeah, CN is definitely partially responsible for the decline of the anime's popularity in the US, rarely advertising Pokemon's Anime in general these days: they love to put restrictions of the lengths of the OPs for some stupid reason. smh.

As for the remix, I can't find a full version of it online, so I don't have an opinion yet.

EDIT: I heard it, and...while surprisingly it's not bad, it's not good, either. It sounded like somebody just completely half-assed and rehashed the first English dub OP, but it sounded okay minus the "Gotta Catch EM AWWLWLWLWLWW AWLWLWLWLWW ALLLLLLL!" part, which sounded bad. I give it a 6.7/10: not as bad as what I was expecting, but not good, either.

Last edited:

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster
I woke up and saw this on TV while making breakfast. It was at the part where Ash met Clemont and Bonnie so I missed my Serena's lovely opening of trying to murder Fletchling for pecking her awake. I still love that scene in the Japanese version and the offscreen scream. It never fails to bring a smile to my face. But I was surprised this episode was on. CN gave zero promotion for it as far as I know, maybe they advertised it on their website because I saw zero TV ads for it. Not surprised, after the Wallace Cup Pokemon on CN got very little promotion. Anyway the episode was the same as I watched it the first two times.

CN gave zero promotion for it as far as I know, maybe they advertised it on their website because I saw zero TV ads for it. Not surprised, after the Wallace Cup Pokemon on CN got very little promotion. Anyway the episode was the same as I watched it the first two times.
Yeah, that's CN for ya, so I can't say I'm surprised. They were so lazy that they kept Musashi's voice in a trailer for DP one time, IIRC, when everyone else was speaking English in a promo for the dubbed version.

As for the dub's intro...meh...it's so plain par, it hurts. It's not bad, but it's not good, either: the remix David Rolfe did with OP4 was much better than whoever did this remix for OP17. This just sounded so forgettable and bland...it wasn't bad, but...if I was to compare with Dub OP1 or even OP4, it doesn't hold a candle to either of them.

Last edited:

XY Rules

Pokemon Master
Episode Review of XY001:

Honestly, fairly weak opening for the start of a series: it's literally the most bland and generic one yet in my eyes. Ash is still on the plane to the Kalos Region with Alexa and he gets off, shouting and proclaiming that he has arrived in the Region, with all the townspeople staring at him like he's nuts (this was funny, I admit). Then, Alexa questioned him on why he did so, and he basically said he was trying to express his joy at making it there, saying hello to it (in the Original JPN Version, there was no cool speak in that line), more or less. Then, Alexa decides to leave a bit later. So, then, we get Ash trying to go into a gym because, heck, there was such a need to do so! Then, he gets his butt fried and nearly falls on the ground, but is saved by Clemont with his inflatable bag and meets him as well as his little sister, Bonnie. Then, the three discuss who they are and why they are here, and Bonnie as well as Clemont show a keen interest in Ash. Then, Clemont and Ash decide to battle, until idiot Team Rocket decide to interfere and pull their usual crap. Then, the most dramatic part of the episode appears when Ash says he'll never give up against TRio in a fantastic 1-2 line speech, where Bonnie and Clemont simply smile and agree in a "hmmm" tone, because that was obviously the hardest TPC JPN tried making this episode. They end up getting owned by a Froakie that watched Ash fend TR off that then helps Ash out, but is injured in the process, and thus the episode ends off with them rushing to Sycamore's lab to get it healed.

So, in short, it was pretty lame and sucked: a 65/100 is a fair enough rating for this.

Dub Review of XY001:

Well, none of the English dub voices fit the characters' or their ages at all, apart from Clemont and Serena's. I'll admit that those two have good English dub voice actors: the rest range from bad to horrific depending on the character, but then given how the English dub of Pokemon has been over the last several years, I'm not too surprised at the lower standards TPCi have brought to it at this point. Why? Well:

--> Ash's voice has gotten deeper than it was in BW (that's not a good thing considering how old Ash is), and now Sarah sounds like she's using her DP Ash dub voice here, with her improved acting skills from BW's dub, in the XY dub. Problem is, the voice itself doesn't work at all, especially considering Ash is still 10 years old. I miss Veronica Taylor playing him in all seriousness: I want to chuckle at this guy's goofy antics and silliness, but cry when he gets emotional and worked up, but I can't do this anymore in the English dub because I just cringe instead anytime he does so. Only way I can somewhat enjoy this is by watching Rica Matsumoto do so these days, but even that has gone flat due to TPC JPN's weaker writing it recent years, and this episode is a good example of that. So, Ash's dub voice is bad now, but it's better than I can say for Team Rocket or Bonnie.

--> James' sounds more congested and nasally than ever before: I'm actually literally having trouble trying to understand what he's saying half the time now, and some of the phrases he used in this episode were never used before in the history of the English dub. I mean, was "swala" really necessary when he threw the collar at Garchomp? I've never been a fan of Carter in this role, always finding his rendition of the role a bad Hoenn Stuart imitation with a nasally tone, but that sounds too good to be him now. He just sounds like a fat older man with a cold now in the dub, and considering how old James is, it doesn't fit at all. While also bad, the next three dub voices are the worst of the lot.

--> Jessie sounds like Michele has gone back to using that valley girl tone in her tone and unfortunately it seems like the higher-pitched registered she used for the character in DP's dub is slipping out again. I really don't know why Knotz has to be so inconsistent in this role: sometimes, she'll do great (e.g. BF's dub, BW's dub), and other times she'll do terrible (e.g. DP's dub, here in XY's dub), but it's jarring to hear her regress as the character once again. IMO, she should use her BW dub voice for Jessie again: that's way better than this one.

--> Meowth's dub voice is the worst of the remaining OS characters, though: don't know what happened to Carter in the role, but he's absolutely unbearable as Meowth now. Not only has he continued to get worse and worse with each progressive saga TPCi has dubbed in the role, but he keeps adding more gravel and deep tone in addition to that. Hearing him say "Meowth, that's right" made my ears hurt just hearing him talk. Honestly, Carter was way better in BF's dub than he is now as Meowth: at least back then, he was trying to imitate Maddie a bit and Inuko Inuyama, but now...I don't know what he's doing. Is he smoking cigarettes before recording, or what? Horrific voice, bad acting = no.

--> Bonnie's dub voice is...awful. Rarely does the English dub mess up casting a characters' voice correctly the first time in Pokemon's case, but this is an exception to that. Her voice sounds more like an adult woman's than anything else, and additionally it is very screechy and inappropriate: it's definitely not the voice I imagined coming out of the character, and Alyson Rosenfeld needs a LOT of work to iron out her performance here. Honestly, I think she was completely miscast in this role.

The dub's script writing? Simply awful. Ash's *cool speak* returns with "sayin' hi-ya" as well as out of context lines like "I slept like a log," and TR can't go 3-4 minutes without some rhyme, alliteration, assonance, and the like. "One more pushy wushy," "swala," and "Then you're going to be seeing re-runs" being the worst lines in my eyes from Meowth, James, and Jessie, respectively. Even Bonnie seems to suffer from this, with "you are such annoying bad people!" making me cringe. Someone please fire Cathcart and Z Pang America already, please: put them out of their misery already-- they can't write for crap.

In short, the current English dub is still sucking as much as I thought it would, and to quote someone's response watching it on YouTube: "This dub hurts my ears. 1 minute in, and my ears are bleeding." While that is an exaggeration even in my eyes, it is quite bad indeed.

That being said, I have no room to judge the full remix yet if that is the dub's 17th Opening, but based off of the preview in the XY Trailer, it sucked there. I'll have to hear it in full before I can have an actual opinion on it, though.

Keep in mind this is just my opinion and I have nothing against you if you disagree, though.

Only one thing you said is right. TR's rhyming is annoying. But honestly Ash isn't ten anymore, and no one know how James is. Tne voices are awesome imo, (especially Ash's) They probably went back to the DP voices because almost EVERYTHING was horrible in BW.
As for the story I tohught it was done very well. It's only the first episode come on.
In short, this is freaking awesome and at the very least deserves a 95/100.

Only one thing you said is right. TR's rhyming is annoying. But honestly Ash isn't ten anymore, and no one know how James is. Tne voices are awesome imo, (especially Ash's) They probably went back to the DP voices because almost EVERYTHING was horrible in BW.
As for the story I tohught it was done very well. It's only the first episode come on.
In short, this is freaking awesome and at the very least deserves a 95/100.

Ash is 10, though: you don't seem to realize they even confirmed that in BW001, so you're wrong. Furthermore, he's never been older than 11 at any point, which Sarah Natochenny's voice for him does not match either of those ages.

James is 25 according to M02, so yeah, also wrong. My friend found Bulbapedia changing it to saying he's 15, but that makes his current dub voice even worse, since James sounds like he's 40 with a head cold now.

The voices I mentioned are all objectively bad, but Ash's is the least awful of the bad ones, I admit. In no way is it awesome, or even as good as Veronica Taylor's Ash voice was, though.

The DP voices were godawful, and the worst I've ever sat through in the entire run of the English dub.

Everything wasn't awful in BW: certainly better than this and DP, if you ask me.

You mean you *thought* it was done very well, and I disagree: seems like TPC JPN just lazily slapped something together and put it out, tbh.

Naw, a 65/100 is more than fair for this crap, tbh.

Last edited: