• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Kanto Ash and Rival Competence, OR Why Ash Losing to Beginner Rivals Isn't Always Bad Writing

Kintaro

Banned
Fans have a low tolerance for character incompetence. It's not just Ash, it's the female companions too. How many people complained May didn't know what she was doing or was making clueless mistakes in early Hoenn? Then when Dawn started losing multiple contests? Or Serena, Lillie,etc. barely doing any battling until far into their run.

If people actually liked watching characters built up from the beginning, you wouldn't see people constantly complaining about every new female companion being weak and incompetent at the start.

BTS_fan

Immortal Queen
I don't even hold that first Gym battle against Satoshi since he did actually try to train for the rematch at the very least. His default win against Natsume simply because she managed to laugh was on a whole different level of ridiculous, however. I still think that Satoshi might've won if Ghost had listened to him and fought in a real battle against Yungerer, though.

I dunno, I think he would have lost to Sabrina even if Haunter had listened to him instead of making jokes. Haunter still would've had a type disadvantage iirc regardless and Sabrina always seemed so untouchable.

Last edited:

Redstar45

The Anime/Special's canon know it all.
I dunno, I think he would have lost to Sabrina even if Haunter had listened to him instead of making jokes. Haunter still would've had a type disadvantage iirc regardless and Sabrina always seemed so untouchable.
It didn't help bug type are useless until gen 3 era