• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Kanto League vs Unova League; Which Was Worse?

Which League was worse?

• Total voters

raichu27

I would probably say Unova. It's stupid on how Ash lost to Cameron who only had 5 Pokemon, while Ash had 6 with him. I also think Ash should've used Snivy or Pikachu against Samurott instead of Tepig, or Pikachu using another Thunderbolt on Lucario.

Ash's Charizard disobeying him at the Kanto league was bad, too. I would've rather have him win one league then lose to an Elite 4 member back then.

Bortgreen

Captain Pikachu is EPIC
Kanto League gives me hope for Alola League seriously
(didn't bother watching Unova league just like all the gen V anime)

DatsRight

I suppose while the Unova league was spurious, mid-battle evolution is still technically fair, it's just annoying formula at the most inappropriate time.

Kanto league pretty much had the whole thing rigged against Ash and showing no sympathy towards Team Rocket's interference and Charizard sleeping being counted as a KO. It was like he'd done something to tick off the referee earlier on. Even worse they rubbed salt into the wound afterwards by making Ash sour about it and everyone, as with most of Kanto, treating him as in the wrong. Yeah Ash didn't train, but I wouldn't call those situations totally his own fault (you tamed Psyduck yet, Misty?).

So a somewhat unimpressive farce beats an infuriating mean spirited farce.

Kanto League gives me hope for Alola League seriously
(didn't bother watching Unova league just like all the gen V anime)

Ash's butt monkey status leaves me worrying about the Alola league. The more a butt monkey he is per series, the more farcical the losses usually are.

Last edited:

laiken

Unova for me. Kanto was the first league in the first season of the anime. People from the anime can not draw even fights then.
What is surprising, most people could not play pokemon at the first generation. the rules of this game were unknown to players.
I remember how friends could not pass Sabrina (they had too low lvl). Nobody trained their pokemon in the grass, did not know how the types works, etc. That same was with Ash. Ash in kanto are simply inexperienced players in most of those years. Those were the times.
The more the show had to be extended and Ash must lose

Jangobadass

Fear the Chicken!
I'll go easy on the Kanto League since they were just starting and Shudo didn't give a crap about battling or telling a good story.

There's no excuse for the Isshu League though. They'd done it long enough to know better. And heck, it could've been a little better with some effort.

Jangobadass

Fear the Chicken!
Ash's butt monkey status leaves me worrying about the Alola league. The more a butt monkey he is per series, the more farcical the losses usually are.

We can only hope he loses to Gladion or the Masked Royal here...

Otherwise, I see him losing to Bewear. No trainer, just Bewear showing up out of nowhere to screw him over like she's done the TRio.

ash&charizardfan

Humans are tools
I'll go easy on the Kanto League since they were just starting and Shudo didn't give a crap about battling or telling a good story.

There's no excuse for the Isshu League though. They'd done it long enough to know better. And heck, it could've been a little better with some effort.

Tht's a little off arguement, well if battling wasn't main point of kanto series then why did he introdcue leagues and gyms in first place, they should just have focussed on humour and introducing people to world of pkemon and skipped the league and gyms part they were awful anyways.

SH65

Victory Over All!
Tht's a little off arguement, well if battling wasn't main point of kanto series then why did he introdcue leagues and gyms in first place, they should just have focussed on humour and introducing people to world of pkemon and skipped the league and gyms part they were awful anyways.
Because he wanted to make Ash look like a loser instead of having him grow as a trainer and a person.

Ash-Pikachu

Honestly, the Unova league was far more disappointing. The Kanto League was understandably underwhelming and less robust when it comes to battles, but it really did fit the narrative quite well as it was served as a means to show Ash that he still had a ways to go and his reason for his failure was entirely his fault. He was complacent, cocky, and was inept in truly bonding and understanding his pokemon (Charizard), so while the odds were against him, he didn't deserve to win and his loss at the league contributed towards his own development as a character and a trainer.

The Unova League had better battles, but it was poorly paced. Much of the tension was lost from the get-go due to a very underwhelming battle with his main rival with what ended up being a sluggish 1v1. To make matters worse, the writers practically shattered any sorts of hope, faith, and attachment to Ash by having him lose to one of the most idiotic trainers in the anime which is a kick in the balls to whoever became emotionally attached to Ash's journey for all of these years. I definitely can forgive the writers for Ash losing 4 years because of his incredible improvement as a trainer where it really felt he getting closer towards reaching his goal. However, I cannot forgive this where the writers shat on my commitment towards Ash by having him lose to Cameron and ultimately cause me to lose faith in the series at the time.

Unova League was much worse. No contest. It didn't have any redeeming qualities other than Ash vs. Stephan.

PokemonBattleFanatic-

Hardcore Paul Fan
If someone never followed the pokemon anime and decided to watch both leagues they'd go with Kanto for being the worst.At this point it doesn't matter who Ash loses to or beats because he isn't winning it anytime soon or pretty much never.It's about the quality of the battles and if you'd be willing to rewatch it over and over in the future.Besides BW from start to finish was a regression so you shouldn't have expected anything to improve from it.Kanto League is worse by eyetest,f*** the narrative.