• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Kanto or Hoenn.

I like them both, but I have always liked the old regions more, so I would have to side with Kanto.

I'm torn between these regions, on one hand, I like Kanto as it was what started it all, and on the other, I really enjoyed Hoenn's story, as it was the most action packed one out of all the Generation's storylines.

But you could do so much in Hoenn, so Hoenn it is for me.

Pokemon4Ever

Innocent Bystander
Heh, there's no place like Hoenn.

Seriously, Hoenn is my favorite region. It's big enough, and very beautiful. All the locations are unique from one another, whereas Kanto locations just look almost the same as one another, and has the most simple and boring routes of any region. Hoenn has amazing and creative towns like Sootopolis, Pacifidlog, Fortree, and Fallarbor. Hoenn has a massive amount of water, and you can even dive. The region also has some of the absolute coolest and most adventurous routes, such as Route 111, and Route 113.

What the heck does Kanto have? Even in HGSS, it has a slight blandness. Maybe it's just me. I like Kanto, I just think the newer regions have surpassed it, and Hoenn absolutely puts it to shame.

Kweh-chan

Hoenn any day! I was blown away by the difference in graphics between it and the GBC when it first game out, the new features like berries and competitions, the new pokemon, the music, etc, and I think that left a huge impression on me. Plus, there's a personal element, in that it came during some of the best days of my life, AND I've got a completed pokedex. It's, by far, my favourite region.

damonchedder12

iam the hoenn master
Hoenn all the way its the best region in the whole of the pokemon games. there is so much to do like the battle tower and the battle frontier if you have emerald. it also started off the third gen for pokemon. Besides Kanto has just lost its touch, god it has been in all of the gens give it a rest would you. Anyway go HOENN

Kanto. Hoenn was filled with water routes, I swear half the region is water. Sky pillar was cool, but Cerulean cave > Sky Pillar. The music in kanto far surpasses that of Hoenn, be it the creepy cave music to the wondefully adventurous route music. Kanto's size was just perfect also, meaning that fly wasn't necessary to reach most places quickly yet it didn't feel too small.

The E4 was also the most rewarding for me.

Plus Vermilion city is probably my favourite place in the pokemon games, I don't know why but it feels like home.

Hmm

xmikeyxlikesitx

Pokémon Coordinator
Hoenn. And yes you can too beat the originals.

If you want to do a comparative study, drop the whole "nostalgia" crap and look at the two regions.

Kanto - yes, it was the original, but as with all originals - it lacks the creativity that the newer regions present:

Double Battles - twice the Pokémon, twice the challenge

Contests - I'm a proud Coordinator at heart - it takes a different kind of skill to compete

Music - the Hoenn soundtrack was absolutely AMAZING!!
Wild Pokémon - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtDpNeWQoO0
Elite Four - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1hBm4LRZRw
(it's terrifying, a bit - plus, the Elite Four here have THEIR OWN THEME!)
Elite Four Encounter - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfTKlWev4jI&feature=related
(it's when you talk to them - freakin' scary! Imagine how GREAT it will sound when they re-do Hoenn!!!)

When you compare - it's like people preferring an old "brick" cell phone to something like...the iPhone or Droid and whining "But-but-but...it's the original!"

LugiaSoul

You can't stop me
HOENN PWNS kanto

Hoenn is no doubt the BEST Pokemon region ever. It's tropical and like others have said, it feels like a fresh start each time. Kanto is small and old. It has been in EVERY generation and is repetitive and BORING! GO HOENN!

Yellow Aura

Light of Hope
Hoenn wins easy here.

I love how tropical and diverse it is, and all those open sea routes give you such a neat feeling! The E4 and their levels were perfect for me, the landscpae was awesome, the storyline was epic, and the first battle frontier was awesome. I still get this funny feeling when I go to the battle frontier in Emerald...Plus it was my first and my favorite region!
Sorry, but Kanto's gotten a little stale, and lets face it, despite it being the original, things are usually prone to get better as they go on.

Wolfangs

Pokemon Breeder
Kanto ftw here

I hated hoenn.........

Champion Lance

Penis Used Harden
Kanto is better than Hoenn, but Hoenn certainly dosent suck.

Luxrayess

Sound(?) asleep...
Music - the Hoenn soundtrack was absolutely AMAZING!!
Wild Pokémon - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtDpNeWQoO0
Elite Four - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1hBm4LRZRw
(it's terrifying, a bit - plus, the Elite Four here have THEIR OWN THEME!)
Elite Four Encounter - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfTKlWev4jI&feature=related
(it's when you talk to them - freakin' scary! Imagine how GREAT it will sound when they re-do Hoenn!!!)

Agreed. The Hoenn E4 music is ridiculously awesome, and Steven's Champion Battle Theme blows me away every time I listen to it. I was rather sad when I heard Cynthia's Champion music. It sounded very anti-climatic compared to Steven's. T_T

I like both regions. Kanto is where it started for me and I have great memories with it. My favorite pokemon come from the first gen. On the other hand, Hoenn was a great region too. It had many neat and interesting towns and routes. I liked the story from both games. In the end, I like the Hoenn region a little better because its a larger region to explore and it had more things to do. Both great regions though

colonelblackeye

Old School Trainer
Hoenn for me.

I loved R/S/E. I thought they were so fresh and new. The landscaping was legit, it felt more like a real world than Kanto. Kanto was amazing, but it has been done way to many times and it is a bit bland (IMO). Hoenn was a fresh start, and as others have said, it still feels new every time you play it.

Profesco

gone gently
I'll go with Hoenn too.

Kanto is classic Pokemon, very basic and simple, and the Pokemon are comfortable and enjoyable. The region and characters in FRLG were all interesting and fun, too.

But Hoenn... Hoenn excited more than Kanto does, if only because of Kanto's huge presence across the whole franchise. We've had a lot of Kanto, but Hoenn is the most unique region they've made so far. The characters were not cookie cutter replicas of previous incarnations. Case in point: the complaint about your rivals not being very rivally. Hoenn's region and cast stands out from the crowd and makes your heart pump.

Hoeen for me. The pokemon are actually better designed, with more thought being out it on instead of randomly throwing on a horn onto it. Also the hoenn is where the in game mechaninces we have now were started, as well as introducing new concepts that later games tried to copy, such as a volcano(Mt.Ember and Stark mountain later). It was the first game to introduce abilities, which have greatly altered how the game is played. And to finish my rant, it was the region with the first team(s) who actually had a serious, ironclad goal, instead of TR's vague, lets dominate the world goal.

SmartD

I would choose both, Hoenn for the different areas, and Kanto for the Sevii Islands.