• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Kanto or Johto?

RedBlastoise

Cerulean Blues
In GSC you could visit both Kanto and Johto. Did you prefer the Johto part of the game where the main plot happened or the Kanto part with the post-game content?

I preferred Johto because there was more to do and there was an actual story being told even if that story was shoddy and not very organized.

Leonhart

Imagineer
I liked Jouto way more than I liked Kanto in G/S/C. Kanto felt cut up and smaller than it was in R/G/B/Y, whereas Jouto felt more full. Jouto also had a lot of interesting cities and caves compared to Kanto.

TwilightBlade

Johto's soooo much better than Kanto was in Gold, Silver and Crystal. Johto had the Team Rocket plot and gyms that were actually hard. All that Kanto had were some high level trainers and barely any other content.

Leonhart

Imagineer
TwilightBlade said:
All that Kanto had were some high level trainers and barely any other content.

One of my biggest gripes was that Game Freak went overboard with shrinking the Kanto region by not only shortening a lot of the routes and getting rid of some dungeons, but also by them getting rid of certain buildings altogether like the Safari Zone, the Nibi (Pewter) Museum, and turning the Pokemon Tower into a Radio Tower instead.

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
Johto is so much prettier aesthetically than urbanized Kanto. It really sucks that they locked half the Johto Pokemon in the post game. Frickin' Morty and his Gengar line Gym.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Ubermuk said:
Kanto may as well've not been in these games because it was so useless...

I actually agree to an extent. I like Kanto as much as the next person, but I can't help but feel that I would've rather seen a bigger version of Jouto in G/S/C at the cost of Kanto not being accessible.

RedBlastoise

Cerulean Blues
Johto is about as Japanese as it gets. The remakes legit make me want to travel to Japan someday so I can experience the culture firsthand.

Only a few places in Johto looked really Japanese to me and that was Violet City and Ecruteak City. Places like Goldenrod looked more like NYC than anything in Japan but that's just me.

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
Half of Johto's Pokemon? I only remember Misdreavus, Houndour, Murkrow, Slugma, Larvitar and Sneasel being in the post game part of the games.
50% is an exaggeration. There are 100 Johto Pokemon total. Houndoom, Magcargo, Pupitar, and Tyranitar were also locked to postgame by virtue of their pre-evolutions being locked there. That's 10% of the Johto Dex being stuck to post-game. Houndour and Slugma can't even be found in Johto.

Leonhart

Imagineer
NeganTheSavior said:
Goldenrod City is actually based on Osaka City from the Kansai region in Japan.

It is, although I can see why some people wouldn't know that since Osaka probably isn't as well-known internationally as places like Tokyo or Kyoto. But speaking of Kogane (Goldenrod) City, I remember getting lost there when I first visited it.

WalesNote

Johto's cooler, more style. But it's still kind of small for a region. Wish it were bigger with more routes and towns and stuff. The routes is has at present aren't all that big, either.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
While it was actually really exciting and cool to explore Kanto, and seeing how it changed in-game three years was awesome (albeit sad at times), Johto was better, being a new region and all. Kanto needed more room to be on par with Johto, which was luckily fixed in the remake, but I still appreciate what they managed to do for G/S/C.

juiccbox

Idiot Extraordinaire
I love kanto, but Johto has cemented it’s place in my heart as my second favorite region, next to unova. I like the ancient japanese architecture and vibe of it, as well as all the cool Pokémon and characters it offers.
It’s also hella satisfying to see what happens after the events of kanto.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Venomshock said:
Johto had a lot of cool places to visit like National Park during the Bug Catching Contests and the Battle Tower so I thought it was the superior region.

The Bug-Catching Contest was one of my favorite events in Jouto, although it was a poor substitute for the Safari Zone. I really wonder why Game Freak cut the Kanto Safari Zone at the last minute given that a beta version exists in the internal data of G/S/C.