1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Kanto: Perfect...not really.

Discussion in 'Pokémon Animé Discussion' started by Korobooshi Kojiro, Feb 13, 2007.

1. Korobooshi Kojiro

Korobooshi Kojiro Funnnngaaaaa

Kanto was THE best season ever.

Why? Well...I don't know exactly but people act like it is. Me? I think it has flaws like every other season. And seeing how it is worshipped like the Nineties, I'd thought I ask the good ol Forums if they think Kanto is "Perfect" or just good.

In my opinion, Kanto is far from perfect. Sure, individual episodes were good, but it lacked an over-arching plot (outside of the mini-arcs for Gyms). We never saw Team Rocket do anything really outside the St. Anne episodes, which was dissapointing back then. Ash just went through each town collecting badges so we could watch the League Battle, which was pretty dissapointing and not too interesting. Later seasons had the Contest Arc to back it up, and Johto actually had two pretty neat Team Rocket plans, as well as a nice Mini-tournament. Not to mention, bar Blaine and Surge, the Kanto Gym Battles were lame. Battles aren't everything, but when a Gym Episode airs you expect it to have some pretty cool Gym Battles. The Pryce Gym showed us how you mix character development with cool battles.

Misty and Brock really didn't do much, even back then. And no, this is not a May vs. Misty debate, just that they never really gave Misty a solid goal really. Brock never did much through any of the seasons, even back in Kanto. We never saw him do any breeding much either.

And then the Pokemon, besides Pikachu, Team Rocket, Psyduck and the starters....the rest of the team were horribly boring. It's like the writers gave up on Staryu, Onix, Geodude, Pidgeotto, Goldeen, Horsea, Stamie, Zubat, and Vulpix.

Sorry if this sounds like a Rant, don't get me wrong I have many fond memories of Kanto...but I think people look through Rose Tinted Glasses way too often.

2. Hikozaru390

Hikozaru390 Well-Known Member

Battle Frontier>Kanto

People love Kanto because it brings back memories for them. I doubt if someone were to watch all of Advance or Battle Frontier, then watch the older episodes, they'd pick Kanto over the new ones.

3. Gravy

Gravy Contaminated KFC

Kanto's got an unfair advantage, considering it's only got 80 or so episodes to it's name, while every other season has 150+. If you get rid of the dire stuff from later entries, you're left with pretty much the same amount of watchable entertainment. Shuckle ep ftw.

4. Jerre

Jerre Gogoat!

Kanto was the best season. But after Johto/Hoenn, it went down. New world, new Pokémon, new adventures. I still like Kanto either.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2007
  5. Korobooshi Kojiro

Yeah, the other day I was looking through it...and it pretty much, proportionally, has just as many fillers (some good, some bad, some great).

And some half-fillers as well, like Hypno's Naptime.

Darn straight. Along with Claydol, you could make a whole show about the hillarious Eggplant Juice adventures.

6. bubbles the cat

bubbles the cat don't hurt bubbles!!

The Battle forntier side of Kanto was my favorite.

7. Korobooshi Kojiro

Don't include the Battle Frontier as part of Kanto in this thread, I mean Kanto: Season 1.

8. bubbles the cat

bubbles the cat don't hurt bubbles!!

Oh. It was a good start, but I like Johto better.Kanto was olny a begining.

9. Jorah

Jorah What do I put here?

Indigo League, Advanced and Battle Frontier are my favourites. I like Battle Fronter as much as Indigo League because it has better battles and a lot less fillers. I like Indigo League because he was just starting off, so he knew nothing which was what was enjoyable to watch and it was quite obvious that we weren't watching a programme about some perfect person who's just going to win all the time.

10. scissorX

scissorX Well-Known Member

Kanto was pretty good, but both Johto and Hoenn had their good parts. I guess its more who writes the script than what area the characters are in.

11. Mimori Kiryu

Mimori Kiryu Well-Known Member

Kanto's alright, I did love it and it was what got me into Pokemon since I was 6/7/8 years old at the time. :p Now that I rewatch it, its the same. I still love it. :D

12. ~Battle Frontier~

~Battle Frontier~ <-- Wolf Whistle

The only thing I liked about Kanto season 1 was the original background music. It had one of the best background music. Those background mudic really brings back memories for some reason :(

13. Longview

Longview Active Member

A lot of people started watching Pokémon when they were rather young, and people are naturally fond of things from their childhood, be it a blanket, a stuffed doll, or a season of Pokémon.

*Shrug* May not be true for everyone, but that's why I like it. Kanto brings back the hyperactive five year old in me.

14. NES

NES Flip me to the side!

Kanto is cool, back then the anime had a taste like the games, and it was the begining of this anime, it is unfair to compare it with the new sagas, of course from that side you will find something lame about it, but overall it is still is my favorite saga, i think even the fillers were more entertaining than in other gens.

15. Jolty77

Jolty77 <Bring her back!

I agree that Kanto was FAR from perfect.

It had the worst league ever. (no 6 on 6)
    Worst gym battles. (Ahh you saved my Gloom, you get a badge!) (Hahaha, you made me laugh, gym badge!).
    It's where he started ditching the Pokemon we still have to hear all the complaining about. (Butterfree, Pidgeot, Primeape)
    Lack of character from most of the Pokemon.

I'm not saying it was all bad, though, it did have some good in it. Some of the episodes were entertaining. Misty still had character.

I'd say the season was okay, but doesn't deserve the praise it recieves.

16. Korobooshi Kojiro

I found most of the non-plot episodes (Island of Giant Pokemon, Maiden's Peak, Flame Pokemon A-Thon, Ultimate Test) to be alot better then the plot based ones.

17. Jorah

Jorah What do I put here?

You exploded a bomb in my face! Gym badge! :D

Most of the fillers were quite good in Indigo League, but I've never liked Clefairy and the Moon Stone. Its just really boring. My favourite fillers are probably Wake Up Snorlax!, the Ghost of Maiden's Peak, Ultimate Test and Holy Matrimony

18. Rex Kamex

Rex Kamex Well-Known Member

Hoenn and Battle Fronteir are waaaaay better.

Just kidding, actually Kanto is waaaaay better.

Once again, just kidding.

I still think that the original Kanto, overall, was a great arc. But then again, I still rate it equal to all of AG.

Many people do think that Kanto is perfect and without flaws, which I don't think is right. I do think that AG as a whole deserves credit and is much better than Johto for a number of reasons. HOWEVER, I still don't think AG did enough to surpass Kanto. I get annoyed by these kinds of topics because while people do mention the flaws that Kanto has, you can (unintentionally) get the feeling that Kanto really wasn't worth watching at all, and that's what I disagree with.

People might say that they rushed Kanto, but I personally think that they only thought that because Johto and Hoenn were longer. (Not that Kanto's pacing was perfect or anything.) Also, even though Ash earned a lot of his badges, the episodes regarding the badges were entertaining for me. (For example, even though Erica gave Ash that badge, the storyline with the fire and Ash dressing up like a girl made me not mind as much. As for Sabrina's little arc, it was pretty cool as well. I don't really mind that Ash got his badge by making Kadabra laugh so it was unable to battle as much as I did mind that Ash never actually made the Psychic Pokemon faint, that's all. Then again, that was because of the whole laughter thing.) I still wish that Ash actually beat Misty and Brock the original time (or at least had rematches where Ash beat them- wait, Ash did beat Misty in the Togepi episode, I think).

I liked most of the Kanto fillers, and even the Paras one was entertaining for me (with the whole Meowth crush thing and Team Rocket's training with Paras). Memoriable episodes to me, are the Porygon one (if you can remember it - __ -), "The Bridge Bike Gang", "The Kangaskhan Kid", "Mystery at the Lighthouse", "Pokemon Shipwreck", "The Flame Pokemon-athon",and "Island of the Giant Pokemon" (not to mention "The Ghost of Maiden's Peak" and "Tentacool and Tentacruel"). The only thing I didn't really like about the St. Anne arc, by the way, was that Ash and the gang just ended up back on the right path. There were a lot of good characters too, IMO, like Duplica (yeah, I know), Papa and Mama (from the Kangaskhan episode), Nastina and Brutella, A.J. and the talking Ghastly. The bike gang was cool too. (This doesn't mean that all of the characters would've continued being good if they came back in a second episode.)

And to me, Brock and Misty were more cooler in this arc then any of the other ones.

AG was better at pacing things, and I liked how they made some of the storylines (like Ash impatiently challenging Brawly and then losing, causing him to train harder and win). I also liked how they showed more of Ash and May's training of their Pokemon. Most of the fillers were very entertaining, too, and even though the Spoink and Clamparl episode was pretty pointless (and stupid, IMO- Spoink bounces around and loses it's pearl again?), I did like the scene where Team Rocket tried to open the Clamperl. The memorable episodes in all of AG are "The Bicker the Better", "Ready, Willing, and Sableye", "Abandon Ship!", "Having a Wailord of a Time", "A Pokeblock Party", "Whiscash and Ash", "That's Just Swellow", "Claydoll, Big and Tall", "Less is Morrison/Masamune", "Sweet Baby James", and several other Battle Frontier episodes that I don't feel like talking about now. There were a bunch of memorable characters (although I think there are more Kanto ones). May and her brother were a nice addition. With May, it was nice to have a costar in the show (although Ash still got more spotlight).

I still don't think AG is exactly a super awesome series like many other people do. The Groudon VS Kyogre thing was at least half-cool, but pretty anticlimatic.
    I didn't really like the recycling of old filler episode plots, although they were okay to watch. Even though Kanto did have the advantage by using episode plots first, that doesn't mean that Hoenn and Battle Frontier had any excuse. Also, while there were some great fillers, I still don't think they just had the charm that the Kanto ones had. I also didn't like how May's bike was burnt and [SPOIL]she went to Johto (you knew this was coming).[/SPOIL]

So in the end, IMO...

Kanto = AG

Kanto for the individual (and entertaining) episode plots and characters, and AG for the character developments and continuing plots with certain episodes. Well, both of them had all of those things, but in different amounts. That's why I think that Kanto and AG can be both overrated and underrated.

(Man, I wonder who actually took the time to read all that...)

19. Battle Frontier Champ

Battle Frontier Champ Well-Known Member

I loved Kanto but ur right there was only gym battles but i like Johto the best they have the most legendaries and some unique gyms and they have the wirl cup which was kind of cool and the episodes with Suicune and Lugia but explains how Ho-Oh Help the legendary Dogs.

20. Rex Kamex

Rex Kamex Well-Known Member

The fact that they only had gym battles was the fault of the games, not the writers. Of course, they could've added something else on their own,but how were they supposed to know that contests would come later?