• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Kanto: Perfect...not really.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Kanto >> everything else

So you enjoy Ash releasing about half of his captures, the Gym battles never being finished, and most matches decided on one-hit KO's?

Its funny, because the writers fixed everything people complained about during the Kanto season.

S.Suikun

Thank you, SPPf! :)
The fact that they only had gym battles was the fault of the games, not the writers. Of course, they could've added something else on their own,but how were they supposed to know that contests would come later?
But the overall crappy quality of the gym battles was the fault of the writers. The writers could have very well had Ash go down to the wire with the gym leaders, but instead they resorted to TR interruptions and pity badges for the majority of the battles. Blaine and Surge were the only exceptions. Sure, Johto only had gym battles also, but they didn't have as many cop-outs.
Kanto >> everything else
Gotta love supported arguments.

Kabuto

little punks!
It had flaws but the filler plots were way better. The matches and gyms were fastpaced and it wasn't about battles but actual plot.

Rex Kamex

But the overall crappy quality of the gym battles was the fault of the writers. The writers could have very well had Ash go down to the wire with the gym leaders, but instead they resorted to TR interruptions and pity badges for the majority of the battles. Blaine and Surge were the only exceptions. Sure, Johto only had gym battles also, but they didn't have as many cop-outs.

You have a point. I was just mentioning the fact about there only being gym battles.

Chimungus

I despise Kanto.It was so.. wierd. And 3 episodes were banned. The only episodes i like of Kanto are Holy Matrimony! And its Mr. Mime Time. IMO, Everytihing else about "old skool Pokemon" sucked. I'm more of a Battle Frontier/Advanced Generation person. :D

Rex Kamex

I despise Kanto.It was so.. wierd. And 3 episodes were banned. The only episodes i like of Kanto are Holy Matrimony! And its Mr. Mime Time. IMO, Everytihing else about "old skool Pokemon" sucked. I'm more of a Battle Frontier/Advanced Generation person. :D

That's the dub's fault. Well, most of them anyway. The Porygon one gave people seizures. I suppose they could've edited or cut out that big scene, but I'm sure that Japanese people would still be too scared to watch it.

I consider Kanto to be the best out of any of the Pokemon seasons, but I wouldn't call it perfect. Ash could've done with a few more actual earned badges, among other things.

Battle Frontier>Kanto

People love Kanto because it brings back memories for them. I doubt if someone were to watch all of Advance or Battle Frontier, then watch the older episodes, they'd pick Kanto over the new ones.

Actually, I would choose Kanto. (Just so you know.)

So you enjoy Ash releasing about half of his captures, the Gym battles never being finished, and most matches decided on one-hit KO's?

Ash only released three Pokemon out of his eleven captures. In case you couldn't tell, that doesn't amount to half of them. :rolleyes: And Ash also completed half of his gym battles, so you can't say he never finished.

Kanto wasn't perfect, but it did have some memorable episodes. My main problem with Kanto, was that most of the battles were either really bad or never finished. Most of the Pokemon had no personality, not to mention, this season was the last time Pikachu had a personality with his ketchup and treadmill antics. :) Ash and Misty were in their prime as far as personality goes. Ash was still a kid, which explains his stupidity (too bad it can't explain his stupidity in later seasons) and Misty was a real basketcase. Of course Brock was a background prop in Kanto, just as he was in Johto, Hoenn, Battle Frontier, and Shinou-imagine that. The league was garbage though, apart from Kingler and Muk getting their spotlight. Ash's battle with Richie has to be my least favorite battle of the series.

Anywho, Johto doesn't deserve all the hate it gets. Despite way too many fillers, the episodes that weren't fillers were pretty good. Hoenn was a nice change of pace, Battle Frontier was used to show how far Ash has come as a trainer, and Shinou once again seems to be a change of pace.

Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, Battle Frontier, Shinou-it's all the same show.

Korobooshi Kojiro

Funnnngaaaaa
Ignoring the fillers, Johto had some darn good episodes.

The Pryce Arc (including the Red Gyrados) was great for instance, and the league was pretty neat as well.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Master Quest was the best part of Johto, ignoring a lot of the filler.

Pretty much everything from the Clair arc onward was excellent. I really enjoyed all the Larvitar episodes, aside from the awful Slowking one, and the Johto league was a massive improvement over the Indigo league.

Shame it still had a crapload of bad episodes though, particularly during the Whirl Cup and between Pryce and Clair.

Korobooshi Kojiro

Funnnngaaaaa
JLC was the worst of the Johto Seasons, IMO.

Johto Journeys had new region, and alot of new teamates.
JLC had the Almighty Shuckle episode though...
And MQ had great arcs.

flyboy1308

Coming Ta Town
Kanto was good, but half the Gym battles were won for nothing.
You stopped Team Rocket from destroying our gym so here's a badge!
Hahah! Your Pokemon made me laugh! Have a badge why don't you?
You(r friends pokemon) put out a fire! That deserves a badge!
Couldn't they at least have an episode finishing the battle?

S.Suikun

Thank you, SPPf! :)
JLC had the Almighty Shuckle episode though...
Don't forget The Wayward Wobbuffet.
Kanto was good, but half the Gym battles were won for nothing.
You stopped Team Rocket from destroying our gym so here's a badge!
Hahah! Your Pokemon made me laugh! Have a badge why don't you?
You(r friends pokemon) put out a fire! That deserves a badge!
Couldn't they at least have an episode finishing the battle?
No, because according to some people, that constitutes "good writing".

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
The problem with Johto as a whole is it didn't do anything to push the show foward.

We had the same exact Kanto team, (Ash/Misty/Brock) and the same exact rival (Gary). So essentially, we got no new main characters for those entire three years.

Misty was handled poorly over Johto's duration, and Gary was handled even worse. He only got three episodes prior to the Johto league, which is absolutely pathetic. It can barely be called a rivalry when Gary doesn't even show up. After watching May and Hikari actually DO stuff, its very hard to go back to 150 episodes of Johto and simply watching Misty stand there holding Togepi in every ep. So in reality, both Misty and Gary were handled poorly, and were eventually replaced with females (May/Hikari) and rivals (Drew/Harley/Shinji/Nozomi) that ended up being far more interesting.

Ash's Pokemon still barely evolved, and there were huge opportunities missed with Cyndaquil and Totodile. Phanpy came in too late, good thing BF redeemed him. Misty and Brock's team never did anything really, aside from Poliwhirl getting some spotlight.

Johto did nothing to move the show foward, and was essentially a retread of Kanto, only 10 times worse because it had to be stretched out over three years.

No wonder the revamp came after that.

Lil Brother

Just kinda there.
I agree with Cyber on most points in this case, but I'll argue that Johto did loads to move the show foward. Battle-based gyms and pre-battle episodes focusing on the gym leaders became standard, several new characters were introduced, we began to see Ash actually training his Pokémon, and most if not all of the major characters matured in some way or another (Ash became more competent at a trainer, Misty stopped being so petty, Gary stopped his childish taunts, and Brock... kissed a Jynx).

Last edited:

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Battle-based gyms and pre-battle episodes focusing on the gym leaders became standard,

Yeah, I'll give you those. It was nice to see the Gym leaders get a little more screentime than how they were blasted through in Kanto.

Still, Falkner, Bugsy and Chuck only got 1 episode each. It wasn't until Hoenn where every Gym leader got two eps.

several new characters were introduced,

If you're talking about Casey and Sakura, sure they were nice, but what was ultimately done with them? Casey was sort of built up as Ash's second rival in Johto, but then for some bizarre reason, the writers decided not to include her in the Johto league.

Sakura also only got two episodes and her Hoso, she was never really that interesting aside from being a parallel to Misty.

Harrison was meh. The only reason people care about him is because of his Blaziken.

we began to see Ash actually training his Pokémon,

Not to the extent AG did it. We had Pikachu training for several episodes to learn Iron Tail, we had Swellow's Aerial Ace training, Snorunt training to use Ice beam for like 9 episodes, Treecko/Grovyle/Sceptile had several character centric episodes, not to mention when it lost its moves in BF. He didn't do much with Torkoal though, as far as I remember.

In Johto all I remember him training was Cyndaquil for one episode. Totodile, Noctowl, and Phanpy didn't really get any time to shine.

and most if not all of the major characters matured in some way or another (Ash became more competent at a trainer, Misty stopped being so petty, Gary stopped his childish taunts, and Brock... kissed a Jynx).

That was indeed nice, except for the fact that it made Misty and Gary less interesting, but since it was their final saga as main characters anyway I suppose it was for the best.

Johto Ash still reminds me too much of Kanto Ash. AG and D/P Ash seem much, much more mature, not to mention in AG where he took May and Max under his wing and spent most of early AG training.

Lil Brother

Just kinda there.
CyberCubed said:
If you're talking about Casey and Sakura, sure they were nice, but what was ultimately done with them? Casey was sort of built up as Ash's second rival in Johto, but then for some bizarre reason, the writers decided not to include her in the Johto league.

Sakura also only got two episodes and her Hoso, she was never really that interesting aside from being a parallel to Misty.

Harrison was meh. The only reason people care about him is because of his Blaziken.
Concured. Casey being shafted is as dissapointing as Cyndaquil not ending up as a Typhlosion.

There are others though, like Professor Namba, PMC, and the LoT gang.

CyberCubed said:
Not to the extent AG did it. We had Pikachu training for several episodes to learn Iron Tail, we had Swellow's Aerial Ace training, Snorunt training to use Ice beam for like 9 episodes, Treecko/Grovyle/Sceptile had several character centric episodes, not to mention when it lost its moves in BF. He didn't do much with Torkoal though, as far as I remember.

In Johto all I remember him training was Cyndaquil for one episode. Totodile, Noctowl, and Phanpy didn't really get any time to shine.
Well, baby steps. At least they started with it.

Although, yeah, the way Ash's Johto team was treated was the worst part of the entire three years.

And I just remembered Johto's biggest contribution to the series:

Woooobbuffet.

Red Ryu

Meh, Kanto is praised too much, and Johto gets more bashing than what it deserves. I think AG fixed the too many filler problem Johto had while fixing the gym leader build up Kanto was lacking.

I also find it strange no one has mention Orange Islands yet, although considering the entire arc was filler still just a thought.