• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Kanto: Perfect...not really.

Kabuto

little punks!
If you're talking about Casey and Sakura, sure they were nice, but what was ultimately done with them? Casey was sort of built up as Ash's second rival in Johto, but then for some bizarre reason, the writers decided not to include her in the Johto league.

Sakura also only got two episodes and her Hoso, she was never really that interesting aside from being a parallel to Misty.

Harrison was meh. The only reason people care about him is because of his Blaziken.
And what was ultimately done with may and Max might I add? Their characters were pretty much thrown out after hoenn. Same with Ash's hoenn league rivals. The sad truth is, characters get ditched when they are no longer needed like what happened to misty. Happens to Ash's pokemon too (especially in kanto which was the only real flaw of the season because we actually see the pokemon again if they're Oak'd). Though I must commend hoenn for actually evolving his team unlike johto.

I'm a Kanto fan, its not even the nostalgia but the episodes themselves I enjoyed. The newer seasons are good but they don't match up with the older episodes IMO. I just loved how bizarre the episodes were. SS Anne Arc and Ghost of Maidens Peak for example.

Last edited:

NES

Flip me to the side!
And what was ultimately done with may and Max might I add? Their characters were pretty much thrown out after hoenn. Same with Ash's hoenn league rivals. The sad truth is, characters get ditched when they are no longer needed like what happened to misty. Happens to Ash's pokemon too. Though I must commend hoenn for actually evolving his team unlike johto.

I'm a Kanto fan, its not even the nostalgia but the episodes themselves I enjoyed. The newer seasons are good but they don't match up with the older episodes IMO. I just loved how bizarre the episodes were. SS Anne Arc and Ghost of Maidens Peak for example.

Unfortunately, the anime is based still in the game, and it has to advertise the new games and stuff like that, that's why Ash leaves his pokemon and that's why there must be new characters and regions, right now Hikari was created to advertise this new girl and of course Ash will have new pokemons (because we all know Aipom will be Etebossu sooner or later), that's about all this ditching.

I like pokemon tower episode XD.

Kabuto

little punks!
Yeah pokemon tower was another example of a really odd episode that I loved. Almost anything before the seizure incident really. Unfortunately the show became more "normal" after that.

Uh... May and Max are main character that were in nearly 200 episodes while Casey and Sakura have probably been in less than 10 total, including Hosos?

True but did we even see their full potential? After 200 episodes Max never even became a trainer.

Last edited:

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
You really can't tell what they did with May? She accomplished more in her 191 episodes than Misty did in her entire run.

We had 16 Contests in AG, most of which were two parters, in addition to two Grand Festivals. She had her own two rivals in Drew and Harley, who we went through a dynamic of over the course of the series.

All her Pokemon got a number of episodes dedicated to them, with the exception of Eevee because it came too late to even do anything.

The way her character grew was also well done, May in AG191 is an almost completely different character than May in AG1. She had almost all the character-centric and spotlight episodes after the Ash-centric ones. She was the co-star of AG, what else is there to say?

They could have done more with Max, he had some episodes here and there, but I never believed he would get a Pokemon while he was on the show in the first place.

ChaosMage

Izit cuz I is black?
There are a few reasons why certain people like Kanto more than the others;

-It kickstarted the thing
-Some of the best running gags were new and fresh then (Brock's overactive pituitary system, James' lack of plant-control ability, the ball-popper, and even the balloon popper)
-The episodes were repeated to death. I haven't watched a single post-Orange Islands episode more than twice, but there are episodes from Kanto I've seen countless times
-All of us were younger back then. We were easier to impress and the things we loved back then hold a special place in our hearts
-The merchandising forced pokemon like Pikachu, the starters (and a certain starter evolution who will remain unnamed but sounds a lot like Charretard) and Jigglypuff down all of our throats and we consumed. We were subliminally told to love Pikachu and Satan, and the in later years beyond the fad the advertising folk haven't done the same.
-We had nothing to compare it to other than the other episodes before it. If a saga identical to Kanto had come up as a saga people would complain about lack of character development, poor pacing and lack of commitment to the games.
-The less marketable pokemon were tragically mediocre and forgettable. I don't associate Horsea or Vulpix with Misty and Brock anymore, but everyone links Charizard and Psyduck to their trainers.
-Let's face it, the series is stale now and wasn't then. Over here in Old Blighty (I don't know the state of affairs in Yankeeland) I have watched Kanto again since it aired on Toonami and I find it flat-out dull and preachy- moreso than it is now.

And I'd like to remind you that Kanto didn't have Sceptile.

By the by, Cyber, I haven't seen the Orinteering episode yet, but doesn't Eevee do at least a bit of stuff in there? And you're right, most Kanto episodes where most pokemon on the team would have a starring role would either be their final one before leaving or an episode explaining why they'll never evolve.

Last edited:

Maestro Kinético

Kanto is not perfect, nothing is. But in my opinion is the best season featuring drama, good quiality writing, comedy, and plot twists. Ah, the old good days...

TeddiUrsa

Kanto is not perfect, nothing is. But in my opinion is the best season featuring drama, good quiality writing, comedy, and plot twists. Ah, the old good days...

Tell me about those..."plot twists" in Kanto. I´m really looking forward to it, because, in my opinion, there are none.

ChaosMage

Izit cuz I is black?

What drama? A gym setting on fire and Ash helping to save some of the pokemon is not drama because it has no suspense or originality. What is so dramatic?
Good quality writing? You tell me one episode in Kanto which didn't have millions of horrible cliches or predictable moments! And why did Giovanni not do anything significant and why has he now been reduced to utter redundancy?
Comedy? The episodes and characters probably most often chosen as the funniest are prodominantly from later sagas. The only really consistently funny pokemon was Psyduck, and the others just gained fans from being annoyingly cute.
Plot twists? Yes, it's true that occasionally Charizard would become obedient for about five minutes when he found a strong enough opponent. Every now and again three mysterious figures would turn out to be DUNDUNDUN!!! Team Rocket!!! Sometimes they would do something like reveal James to be from a rich family (one of the very best decisions in the show), but usually no episode had no effect on the series.

Jo-Jo

blows stuff uhup
IMO, the main advantage Kanto has (besides nostalgia) is that the writers hadn't quite settled into the paint-by-numbers formula they tend to use now when developing episodes/series arcs. So in general, the episodes themselves were more unique and slightly less predictable. This also goes for the Orange Islands; Johto is when things got monotonous, a state that continued into Hoenn (not to say these sagas didn't have their share of cool eps).

And while a lot of the gym battles sucked, I greatly prefer most of the Kanto gym episodes, because they developed Ash's character. It kinda bugs me, to be honest, when people make jokes about Brock's sprinkler system, or Sabrina giving Ash a badge because Haunter stuck a bomb in her face. It's missing the point. Showdown in Pewter City is a great episode with tons of sympathetic backstory on Brock and Flint, and Ash's show of fair play at the end is one of his most mature moments in the series. The dubiousness of the sprinkler win was deliberate; the whole idea was that Ash would have the opportunity to win the match through luck, but by demonstrating his sense of fairness and determination to truly earn his victories, he proved that he possessed the moral strength that made him deserving of the badge. I like the idea that being a good trainer isn't merely about being strong, but also about being sportsmanlike and having respect for all Pokemon. It's actually a far more mature message to send than the simple-minded "whoever can smash up the other guy wins and that's all there is to it" mentality.

As for Sabrina, her arc is one of the coolest and creepiest arcs the show has ever done, and Sabrina herself is THE most interesting gym leader ever, hands down. Again, quibbling over the way Ash 'won' is missing the point. Thanks to her psychic powers, Sabrina was essentially unbeatable anyway - Ash couldn't possibly have won through conventional means. But surely whether Ash wins a badge or not is small potatoes compared to whether Sabrina gets a shot at being a normal girl with a happy family? Or whether Brock gets to follow his dream rather than being stuck playing Cinderella in a job he doesn't want, for that matter? After all the backstory we were given on Sabrina over the course of those three episodes, and the set-up provided by Ash's meeting with her father ("I know it's a long shot, but that kid might just be the one who can rescue Sabrina"), how can your biggest concern towards the end be "will Ash beat Sabrina?" as opposed to "will Ash save Sabrina?"? Is the simple question of who-ought-to-have-beaten-up-whom the greatest source of dramatic tension that can, or should, exist? Frankly, I think there are much more interesting things to focus on.

Of course good gym battles are an asset to the show, and episodes like Electric Shock Showdown where plot, characterisation and 'the wow factor' all come together are great to behold. (The AG-era contest arc was pretty good at this, too.) But if good gym battles come at the expense of true, non-match-related drama and decent character arcs, then I think the show is at a loss. Because, honestly, I'm just not that interested in watching Ash do nothing but kick people's butts. That's not why I care about him.

'K, sorry for the tl;dr. :p Errrm, I like Kanto. But the other regions are great, too!

Since someone mentioned it, the Orange Islands are incredibly underrated. I love the gyms; they were truly unique. Except the last one, which was kinda boring - though, again, it had character development! Naval Manouevres and Misty Meets Her Match more than make up for it, though, on Pokeshippiness alone. (OH NOES I said the word of doom...)

pokemonster2191

turtles=pwnage
well like others, i think everyone likes the kanto episodes (including me) because there is a somewhat sentimental value that brings back memories. everytime i see the first themesong i get all emotionaland think about obsessing every saturday morning. i still remember how i found out about pokemon :/ my friend told me about this cool new game and theres a big flying lizard and a bird. i was like cool ill be the lizard and he was like i found out about it so i wanna be the lizard and i was like FINE ILL BE THE BIRD!!!. eh i like the bird more now anyway :/ (pidgeot and charizard btw)

but anyway. thats why i like the kanto eps more. (im a misty fan btw. but im not too biased against may. i like hikari though.)

Korobooshi Kojiro

Funnnngaaaaa
IMO, the main advantage Kanto has (besides nostalgia) is that the writers hadn't quite settled into the paint-by-numbers formula they tend to use now when developing episodes/series arcs. So in general, the episodes themselves were more unique and slightly less predictable. This also goes for the Orange Islands; Johto is when things got monotonous, a state that continued into Hoenn (not to say these sagas didn't have their share of cool eps).

And while a lot of the gym battles sucked, I greatly prefer most of the Kanto gym episodes, because they developed Ash's character. It kinda bugs me, to be honest, when people make jokes about Brock's sprinkler system, or Sabrina giving Ash a badge because Haunter stuck a bomb in her face. It's missing the point. Showdown in Pewter City is a great episode with tons of sympathetic backstory on Brock and Flint, and Ash's show of fair play at the end is one of his most mature moments in the series. The dubiousness of the sprinkler win was deliberate; the whole idea was that Ash would have the opportunity to win the match through luck, but by demonstrating his sense of fairness and determination to truly earn his victories, he proved that he possessed the moral strength that made him deserving of the badge. I like the idea that being a good trainer isn't merely about being strong, but also about being sportsmanlike and having respect for all Pokemon. It's actually a far more mature message to send than the simple-minded "whoever can smash up the other guy wins and that's all there is to it" mentality.

Yes, but they could atleast have Onix and Pikachu have a decent battle as well.

Like S. Suikun has brought up, the Pryce episode mixed character with battles. Even
Hyouta had some character dev., and a kickbutt battle to boot

It's more the fact people (such as my friend Maestro) act like every other season is devoid of any sense of plot, character development, plot twist, or drama...when it's not, and instead focus on every single negative aspect like "the floor tiles". 0.o

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Wait, who said they don't do the Kanto development stuff with the Hoenn Gym leaders?

Brawly got three episodes, one in which he wasted Ash and then two after a training arc with Shauna the battle girl.

Wattson wanted to retire after Ash beat him, (by having Pikachu supercharged), and came back in a later ep for a rematch.

Flannery was great because she was a newbie Gym leader and had no idea what she was doing, and her grandpa went undercover to make sure she was doing well.

Norman is obviously May's father, who got focus in AG3 and had the whole subplot with Caroline thinking he cheated on her.

Roxanne, Winona and Juan were mostly battle-centric, but they at least explained their backgrounds a bit even if they didn't have any character development moments.

Lil Brother

Just kinda there.
Jo=Jo said:
when people make jokes about Brock's sprinkler system,
...I thought there was a euphemism there at first.

I think the way Ash got the Boulder Badge was the best of all the Kanto gyms. This is the pity badge that I like.

The Cascade Badge was a letdown. I would have prefered for Team Rocket to do wacky antics and not even see the twerps like they did in the first gym. The way Misty just kind of gave up in fighting Ash was kind of odd and they clearly just wanted to wrap the episode up.

Thunder Badge = win.

With the Marsh Badge, I liked the mini-arc because mini-arcs are always cool. I can't really think of a way for Ash to get the badge in a traditional way, so this one's all right.

Rainbow Badge... Eh, I would have liked for Erika to be a witchy "You don't like perfume, so I don't like you, GTFO!" type. Ash could have taught her a lesson, something like "Hey, stop being so immature and live up to your gym leader duties by letting all challangers face you". We alos could have seen Charmander kick some arse and maybe evolve sooner to give Charmeleon more screen time.

As for the Soul Badge, the two-episode format would have been nice. The first episode could focus on the mansion, and the second on the battle, because the one we got was pretty meh.

No real worries with the Volcano Badge...

Or the Earth Badge, although one would hope for a real confrontation between Ash and Giovanni at the end of Johto.

Jo-Jo

blows stuff uhup
Korobooshi Kojiro said:
Yes, but they could atleast have Onix and Pikachu have a decent battle as well.
But if Pikachu had beaten Onix fairly, Ash would have had no reason to turn down the badge, and it just would have been a generic 'the underdog triumphs' story. Plus, it was Ash's ineptitude that made Flint want to help him in the first place. :p

I really love the way ep5 starts out by making it seem like Brock's this big scary overpowered gym leader who beats on Ash-the-woobie, but then we find out Brock's tragic backstory and start feeling all sorry for him, and then Onix gets blasted by the sprinklers and suddenly the entire thing reverses, and Ash is the one with all the power, and Brock's this defeated, noble guy who knows he's going to get beaten but wants to continue anyway because his sense of duty tells him to, and then all the little Brocklings storm the gym and call Ash a bully and he suddenly gains a sense of duty and decides to do the right thing and... *wibble* ...it's cute.

That's my idea of a proper plot, rather than "Ash faces a gym leader. Ash has a tough battle. Ash wins. Yey!"

Like S. Suikun has brought up, the Pryce episode mixed character with battles. Even [spoil]Hyouta had some character dev., and a kickbutt battle to boot[/spoil]
Well sure, it's better when we get a decent arc and a good battle. But I'd rather have the former than the latter. I guess I'm more interested in characters than plot (though I love plot too!). But ideally, the two should be dependant on each other.

It's more the fact people (such as my friend Maestro) act like every other season is devoid of any sense of plot, character development, plot twist, or drama...when it's not, and instead focus on every single negative aspect like "the floor tiles". 0.o
Yeah, Pokemon's quality is fairly consistent. All the regions have plenty in them to like. And like I said, May's contest arc blended plot, characters and battles very nicely.

CyberCubed said:
Wait, who said they don't do the Kanto development stuff with the Hoenn Gym leaders?

Brawly got three episodes, one in which he wasted Ash and then two after a training arc with Shauna the battle girl.
The Brawly-arc was, as far as I recall, the one time in Hoenn when Ash had character development connected to a gym battle (well, him and Wattson, kinda). It was only Brave the Wave that did this, though; the only person who developed in the two subsequent episodes featuring Brawly was Shauna.

I did greatly enjoy the battle in Just One of the Geysers, though.

Wattson wanted to retire after Ash beat him, (by having Pikachu supercharged), and came back in a later ep for a rematch.
Wattson got some great spotlight in that episode, and it was refreshing in the extreme to see the writers break out of the usual gym formula. I'd hardly say that the ep contained any development for Ash, however. Sure, he offered to give the badge back, but the gesture wasn't nearly the big deal it was back in Showdown in Pewter City. Ash was pretty incidental to the ep, really. (<-- not a criticism, it worked as a Wattson-centric storyline.)

Flannery was great because she was a newbie Gym leader and had no idea what she was doing, and her grandpa went undercover to make sure she was doing well.

Norman is obviously May's father, who got focus in AG3 and had the whole subplot with Caroline thinking he cheated on her.
That's not what I'd call terribly significant backstory. None of it led to anything big. The Caroline/Norman/Joy subplot didn't contribute to anything related to Ash - it barely affected Norman either, for that matter. The emotional turbulance was all Caroline's. Max got a good arc during the Petalburg saga, though.

But at any rate, I'm not even saying that Kanto was all characterisation and the later sagas were all soulless battling. I find Norman, Brawly, Roxanne, Wattson and the rest more interesting than Koga, certainly. (The Soul badge episode was the one when Psyduck first unleashed its powers, though, IIRC. r0x0rs.) It's just that people condemn the Kanto gym matches for the sole reason that "pity badges suck", which I find an exasperating argument that places the emphasis on spectacle and nothing else.

Lil Brother said:
when people make jokes about Brock's sprinkler system,
...I thought there was a euphemism there at first.
...*snerk*

Well, Brock's sprinkler system does cause the biggest recurring joke in the show.

I think the way Ash got the Boulder Badge was the best of all the Kanto gyms. This is the pity badge that I like.
Agreed, it really set the bar.

The Cascade Badge was a letdown. I would have prefered for Team Rocket to do wacky antics and not even see the twerps like they did in the first gym. The way Misty just kind of gave up in fighting Ash was kind of odd and they clearly just wanted to wrap the episode up.
I thought the set-up with the revelation about Misty's connection to the gym was very good. Ash and Misty's battle being interrupted wasn't a problem for me; it would have been a shame to see their power-struggle settled at that point. The writers using Team Rocket to cause the interruption was pure laziness, though. Plus, I think it would have been better if Ash and Misty had been on a more equal footing before the match ended; as it was, Pidgeotto kind of hammered Starmie. Though I assume Misty still had Staryu in reserve, as it would make no sense for her to call it out of the battle when it still had most of its strength if she wouldn't be able to put it back in play later. But all the same, the battle could have been longer and down to the wire.

Rainbow Badge... Eh, I would have liked for Erika to be a witchy "You don't like perfume, so I don't like you, GTFO!" type. Ash could have taught her a lesson, something like "Hey, stop being so immature and live up to your gym leader duties by letting all challangers face you". We alos could have seen Charmander kick some arse and maybe evolve sooner to give Charmeleon more screen time.
Yeah, that would have been better. Pokemon Scentsation had TR making Ash crossdress, though. :D

Jo-Jo

blows stuff uhup
Is it just me who doesn't have a problem at all with Psyduck's DEM-ness?

I mean, it's consistently portrayed, it comes with a handicap (i.e. a lot of the time it doesn't work and Psyduck's useless without it), and it's very amusing to watch such a ridiculous Pokemon wreak mass destruction. Rather like Magikarp evolving into Gyrados.