1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Kanto: Perfect...not really.

Discussion in 'Pokémon Animé Discussion' started by Korobooshi Kojiro, Feb 13, 2007.

1. Korobooshi Kojiro

Korobooshi Kojiro Funnnngaaaaa

So did the others....like, you know, "friendship lasts a lifetime...and longer"

2. Zenigane

Zenigane roar!

Well, I know a ton of people hate it but, I liked Johto the best. It was where the Silver Conference was and all of the new Johto pokemon were introduced. Also, that was when I started to watch Pokemon on a regular basis.

3. Korobooshi Kojiro

Johto also had great Gym Battles, and two pretty awesome Team Rocket Arcs.

4. Yamato-san

Yamato-san I own the 5th gen

I'd like to present further reasoning as to why the writing in the first few seasons was crap, probably even more crappy than it is now (well... quality always has and still is fluctuating). The examples I'm going to use? The joining of two certain cast members. First off, there's Takeshi. I think this quote of mine says enough about that.

Then there's Togepi. All you Kantou purists, do you not remember how that came into the party's possession in the first place? Satoshi just fell asleep and happened to role atop the egg, in what could very well be the most random of locations. That's it, that's all there was to it. To add salt to the wound, these two characters that don't really have any particular reason for being there in the first place have barely amounted to anything in their entire run (well, Togepi may've lived its purpose of hyping up the 2nd generation, but that's just further reasoning that the anime is just a sadly blatant excuse at advertising). Now, do you still wanna try telling me "ZOMG! First season story-telling was absolutely perfect!"?

Last edited: Feb 20, 2007
  5. Korobooshi Kojiro

I think the main draw of Kanto was the "new" feeling it had, as well as how I have to say the humour was slightly better (more uses of sight gags) rather then story-telling.

6. Leona

Leona YOU JELLY?

Johto was the most boring saga ever, it had too many filler episodes and Johto was the reason why most people came off pokemon ;\

7. Korobooshi Kojiro

If you take away the fillers, it had some damn-good Gym Battles, plots, and Mini-Arcs.

Hell, even some of the fillers were good (Shuckle!)

8. Yamato-san

a short-skirted bishoujo chased around by phallic creatures with a belly button fetish... all in a children's cartoon. Would anyone, at the risk of making yourself look like a complete dumbass, be willing to explain to me how that isn't several levels of win? XD

9. ForeverFlame

ForeverFlame WATER TRUMPETS

Face it, the people that say that Season One was worst were the people that started watching Pokemon when they were like ten years old, when Johto was pretty much finished. Because they didn't have the childhood experiance with it, so they see it in much critical eyes.

I myself, pretty much grew up on Pokemon and Digimon. Those two shows were my life. Yes, Season One may be a little bit messy, and have no plot, but back then those fillers were entertaining to us, because we were once little children. And because they were entertaining then, they even seem entertaining now.

Season One was always the best season for me, and it always will be. I memorized the theme song in English and French, and I learned the entire PokeRap. I watched every episode, except for the second Blaine episode, which got on my nerves for years. I still never watched it. x_X

10. Korobooshi Kojiro

Don't group me into that, I've watched from the beginning when it came out back when I was 7.

Not really...I recently went back and watched some Season 1 episodes, and besides from the feeling of Nostalgia (I'm almost a Senior for crying out loud) I found myself finding all the flaws I missed as a kid (which I catch in the new episodes, btw). I have fonder memories of the Johto and AG days (and probably the Sinnoh days eventually) for some reason.

11. Yamato-san

I too have watched the show from the beginning (though, I was 12 at the time). I've also watched through the beginning not long ago, when the Japanese episodes of the first series became available to me (about last year, I think... I'm still watching through Jouto for that matter, and you can find some of my comments for them in the episode discussions). In any case, as you grow more aware of what makes good story-telling, and having your nostalgic memory refreshened at such a point, it really does make past flaws seem more apparent than they used to.

you say you grew up on Digimon... tell me, you wouldn't happen to be one of those people who bash Tamers just because it didn't feature Taichi and the others, are you?

12. 9tails

9tails Well-Known Member

Kanto > other seasons

I love the old pokemon better than the new.

13. Korobooshi Kojiro

Well...usually people...like, give reasons?

14. S.Suikun

S.Suikun Thank you, SPPf! :)

Complete BS. If anything, the opposite is more likely to be true, where older fans have a tendency to be blinded by nostalgia. Obviously they'll have fonder feelings toward something they grew up with, often overlooking the flaws. No, this doesn't not apply to every older fan, as evidenced by several users here, but it's basically the same scenario you get when people start *****ing about how much TV sucks nowadays, or how modern fashions are so crass, or how nothing will ever beat "the good old days".

15. Pkmn Breeder Jack

Pkmn Breeder Jack Static owns you.

I think I like the Hoenn Arc best. I must admit that I haven't watched much Pokemon in the past few years. long story cut short- moved, no cable TV, no Pokemon. But I have watched a lot of the Kanto and Johto arcs. I like how Hoenn spread stuff out a bit. Before, it was all Ash this, Ash that. Geez, he's only a 10 year old kid. But somehow he got all the starters from Kanto and Johto. Finally in Hoenn, they spread stuff out a bit.

16. Korobooshi Kojiro

Agreed.

Spreading the starters out was a good idea, as was introducing a character (May, who love or hate) gave us an additional running arc (which sometimes exceeded the Gyms in terms of battles/Character Dev.)

17. Pkmn Breeder Jack

Pkmn Breeder Jack Static owns you.

I also just wanted to mention that it had to have come through a great deal of luck that Ash caught a shiny Noctowl right away. I mean, give me a break. I know he's the main Character and all, but that was a little too much, especially when you know the odds of that happening. Anyway... But I like how Brock has had his time in. from constantly watching Character bios on Serebii.net and all the main events, I have gathered that they put a little more effort into making Brock a BREEDER, not the mother of the group.

18. Jo-Jo

Jo-Jo blows stuff uhup

Yamato-san, I really don't understand why letting gym leaders join up with Ash is in any way a bad writing move. First of all, I was under the impression that game continuity was a good thing. The anime is hugely influential when it comes to getting people to like certain Pokemon and characters - doesn't the existence of May and Hikari in the anime make players more likely to get something out of selecting the female sprites to play as in-game? It's the same with Brock and Misty; incorporating them into the anime as Ash's sidekicks ensures that they'll have a fanbase, which transfers itself over when people play the games.

Secondly, this is flat-out misrepresentation:
    You're making it sound as though Brock was doing just fine as a gym leader and pulled being a Breeder out of thin air at the last minute to justify going with Ash. But the Brock backstory we get in ep5, showing how he was forced to stay at home and provide for his siblings in the absence of both parents, shows that this isn't the case. Brock had no choice but to work at the gym, which makes his announcement that he'd rather do something else instead perfectly plausible.

Re. Togepi, the way Ash found it was awfully contrived, but not abysmally so by the standards of this show. As for what it accomplished, it was given a mystery plotline regarding its movepool and abilities that was sadly neglected for most of Johto, but got a good amount of development in the Orange Islands and a suitably dramatic resolution in Hoenn. Togepi also provided an episode's worth of character development for Meowth, and the set-up for Misty to get some extra focus, although most will agree this move backfired.

19. mangod/pikachu

mangod/pikachu Volcano Trainer

In my opinion, I think it was the general quality of the show more so than the storyline. The storyline was good, because it was based on the games, and it didn't get to over the top. It was completely new at the time. You didn't have Max pulling Brock's ear in every episode and TR actually seemed like villains and not comedy relief. Also, the the technical things like the music compared to that in Advanced etc. You had the original music which was a lot different then most cartoons at the time. Anime was new in America and hearing this ochestral type music in a children's cartoon and not little forgetable jingles like in other cartoons was alot different. Overall I think story didn't really matter as it was a very unique, but cool show at the time.

20. DaMike52

DaMike52 Banned

Khanto's old school baby!