1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Kanto Skies [Discussion]

Discussion in 'RPG Café' started by Tangeh, May 1, 2015.

1. Tangeh

Tangeh Well-Known Member

Kanto Skies

- Discussion Thread -
    Approved by Psychic

*Sign-Up Thread*
    *RP Thread*

RPer list:
    1. Tangeh (GM) [Miella Reeves]
    2. Schade [Zachary "Zach" Lascelles]
    3. Cobalt XIV [Rodrigo Fuentes]
    4. Monster Guy [Andre Bellamy]
    5. VampirateMace [Lucile Mace]
    6. The top co-ordinator [Alyssa Bogard]
    7. TheGOAT [Keith "Mac" McArthur]
    8. legnak [Legna James Krad]

Please see the sign-up thread for details related to the setting and plot.

This thread can be used for:
    - Discussing the current events of the RP
    - Discussing character aspirations, relationships, etc.
    - Asking questions or requesting information from the GM or other players
    - Notifying us of upcoming inactivity, be it temporary or permanent
    - Suggesting additions or changes to the RP
    - *Requesting permission to control an NPC

This thread may not be used for:
    - Chatting about things unrelated to the RP
    - Flaming other players or starting heated arguments (gentle banter is fine if it pertains to the RP, just don't get to the point where you start to upset anyone!)

*Professor Oak, all gym leaders, Team Rocket admins, and opposing coordinators (for the final match for the ribbon if the final match isn't against another player) will be considered NPCs for this RP. I don't have a problem with allowing another player to control the gym leader for another player's gym battle, or creating a temporary coordinator to face off against another player's battle for the ribbon. Otherwise I'll be the one controlling all gym battles and the final outcomes of any contests that aren't already PVP... which is kind of a lot, so feel free to take the reins for a match or two lol. If you want to play as a gym leader for a match, you can decide if the match is 3 vs. 3 etc., singles/ doubles etc., and your leader can have any non-legendary pokemon appropriate to their specific type (they will use different pokemon for each match if they're in the same time period. If you want to just have Brock (for example) own four geodude and four onix for simplicity's sake, that's fine too).

I'm also making the assumption that most of you know the general geography and the gym leaders of the Kanto region, but if you want me to elaborate on anything further please ask!

Locations:

**The locations will have a wider variety of pokémon than their in-game counterparts. Each location will be posted both here and in the RP thread upon entering so you know what to expect. You can backtrack to old locations by yourself, but you must wait for the group to move onwards. I'm discounting any pokémon available by fishing until the rods are obtained.

Pallet Town: This small, quaint town was actually built fairly recently in comparison to the rest of Kanto. The main place of interest is Professor Oak's Laboratory, which is where new trainers can go to receive their starter pokémon, pokémon license, and pokédex.
    -> Wild Pokémon: None

Route 1: A simple country road that connects Pallet Town to Viridian City. A dirt path at one point marked the way through the entire route, but a lack of upkeep has allowed tall grass to grow over the path in several areas. This route isn’t very long, but it features a bit of an incline, making the journey to Viridian notably more difficult than the road to Pallet. There is a large flock of spearow that nest in a tree not far from the entrance to Viridian; new trainers are advised not to bother them as they can be highly aggressive if disturbed.

Accessible from: Pallet Town, Viridian City

-> Wild Pokémon:

VERY COMMON: Pidgey, Rattata
    COMMON: Hoothoot, Spinarak, Bunnelby, Starly
    UNCOMMON: Spearow (HORDE), Poochyena, Flabébé (yellow & red flower)
    RARE: Purrloin, Nincada, Flabébé (white, orange, & blue flower)
    VERY RARE: Shinx

Viridian City A beautiful locale that is filled with greenery year-round. The gym specializes in ground-type pokémon, but the gym leader is often absent for weeks or even months at a time; unfortunately, you’ve come at such a time, and thus the gym is temporarily closed. Other areas of interest include the local Pokémon Center, Poké Mart, and Pokémon Academy. The Academy provides free classes for newly-registered trainers on basic battle terminology and strategies. When not passed out on the streets, a local elderly man also enjoys teaching young trainers how to catch pokémon. Though he claims to simply require coffee in the mornings to stay awake, local rumours and common sense suggest he's actually a drunkard.

Route 22: This path leads to the Pokémon League Front Gate, which in turn leads to Victory Road – the true test for trainers who have collected all eight gym badges. Compared to the pokémon on Victory Road, the wild encounters on Route 22 are laughably weak. Two areas of thick grass and a small pond pose minor barriers in the way of the Pokémon League Front Gate, but newer trainers may enjoy it as a secluded training ground.

Accessible from: Viridian City, Pokémon League Front Gate / Route 23

-> Wild Pokémon:

Very Common: Nidoran♂, Nidoran♀
    Common: Rattata, Spearow, Mankey, Ledyba
    Uncommon: Bidoof, Poliwag
    Rare: Seedot, Kricketot
    Very Rare: Dunsparce

Route 2 (Bottom): A winding path that leads to Viridian Forest. The trees become gradually thicker as you approach the forest’s entrance. Diglett’s Cave is inaccessible due to the overgrowth of trees, though Viridian City is planning on cutting a path in the near future. Compared with Route 1, Route 2 is much flatter and has a well-defined path to guide travellers. The grass on this area is sparse, but pokémon still take refuge where they can find it.

Accessible from: Viridian City, Viridian Forest, Diglett’s Cave (blocked)

-> Wild Pokémon:

UNCOMMON: Caterpie, Weedle, Panpour, Pansear, Pansage
    RARE: Nincada, Ledyba, Timburr
    VERY RARE: Plusle, Minun

Viridian Forest: A deep and spiraling woodland that has been described by many as a natural maze. The path, scarcely visible beneath the tall grass, winds itself among the trees, making it easy for newcomers to get lost. The trees in the area are so dense that very little light gets through, further complicating this forest’s navigation. Bug-type pokémon in particular thrive in the low light and shelter of the tree canopy. The forest is also well known for being one of very few places to find the popular pokémon pikachu, though they can be shy and difficult to spot among the foliage. Trainers are strongly cautioned to avoid the beedrill nest that makes its home in a single tree. This tree is easy to spot as it is the largest in the forest and covered in kakuna. Poison-heals are a recommended essential.

Accessible from: Route 2 (Bottom), Route 2 (Top)

-> Wild Pokémon:

VERY COMMON: Caterpie, Weedle, Hoothoot, Spinarak
    COMMON: Kricketot, Wurmple, Scatterbug, Venipede
    UNCOMMON: Shroomish, Murkrow, Sewaddle, Fletchling, Kakuna, Metapod
    RARE: Pichu, Pikachu
    VERY RARE: Beedrill [Swarm]

Route 2 (top): A short path leading from Viridian Forest to Pewter City. The path itself is straight and kept very clean, with plenty of space for wild pokemon training off the path to the left. This acts as a great training ground for those looking to challenge the Pewter City gym.

Accessible from: Pewter City, Viridian Forest

-> Wild Pokémon:
    UNCOMMON: Caterpie, Weedle, Panpour, Pansear, Pansage
    RARE: Ralts, Munna, Bellsprout
    VERY RARE: Dedenne, Pachirisu

Pewter City: A quiet city nestled between rugged mountains and rocks. The Pewter City Gym specializes in rock-type pokémon, and the gym leader is Brock. Trainers that defeat him receive the Boulder Badge. One of the city’s main attractions is the Pewter City Museum. It is the largest museum in the Kanto region, and features ancient pokémon fossils as well as a space exhibit. Wanted posters decorate every public building in Pewter City. They all feature the same message: “Notice! Thieves have been stealing pokémon fossils from Mt. Moon. Please call the Pewter Police if you have any information.” A well-meaning local resident will happily redirect any newcomers to the gym if they haven't visited it yet, essentially blocking access to Route 3 for the time being.

Accessible from: Route 2 (Top), Route 3

Helpful Links:

Serebii Pokédex - for quick reference of available moves, evolution methods, etc.

List of Kanto Gyms - use the level of the gym leader's pokemon as a guide to where your own should be at this point in the RP - I.E. once we reach Pewter City your pokemon should be around level 12-14ish. Keep in mind that if your character is an obsessive trainer this can be higher and if they avoid battling this should be lower. Again, you don't need to formally keep track of levels so I won't normally be too strict, but in conjunction with the above link this should help you decide when your pokemon should evolve, learn new moves, etc. If you're going too far off track I'll ask you to fix it.

Current Events:
    Time to exit the forest! The top half of Route 2 is very short, so it's up to you if you want to take the time to RP on it. There are a few new pokemon available for capture, and it makes the most logical training group for the gym battle. Keep in mind that Route 3 is not opened, and a well-meaning Pewter City resident will promptly direct you to the gym if you try to leave. As per usual, Pewter City hosts a pokemon center with free lodging for trainers.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2015
  2. Monster Guy

Monster Guy Fairy type Trainer

First to make a Sign Up, and first to post in the DT. I call dibs on the first post in the RPG thread when it's up. :p

This RPG still doesn't have any Co-ordinationators yet. No one appreciates the art of Contests. :p

I would make Andre one, but he has no reason to care if he wins or loses. He's already famous anyway. xD That, and I want Andre to do some Gym Battles too. Just to show fairies aren't all about cuteness and sparkles. They can be tough too.

3. Psychic

Psychic Really and truly

Hi there! In accordance with the RPG Rules, in order to make a discussion thread for an RPG you first need to PM a moderator requesting permission to start one, along with information on why it's needed. Since I have not received a PM from you, I have to close this. If you would like it to be re-opened, please PM me with the necessary details.

Thanks,
    ~Psychic

Edit: Thank you for the PM, this thread has been approved and re-opened! :]

Last edited: May 4, 2015
  4. PeeGee

PeeGee ROAWR!

What's the pokemon distribution going to be like in this RP? Is it going to be like Kanto in the games or Kanto + pokemon from other regions?

5. Tangeh

Tangeh Well-Known Member

It's going to be Kanto + pokemon from other regions. All of the pokemon from the original gen 1/3 games will be in there, plus others for variety.

6. Monster Guy

Even though Diego is starting with Pikachu, I'm still going to keep Jolie as a Cleffa, and have Andre make a big deal over it when she eventually evolves.

7. Schade

Schade No gain, just pain.

I have a Sneasel.. that should be fine, right?

8. Monster Guy

You got accepted didn't you? :p

9. Tangeh

Tangeh Well-Known Member

That's fine!! Like if it were a Pokemon that was evolved and it had evolved via level up I might ask that the Pokemon be disobedient until its trainer is more experienced (for example if you started with a charizard it would be at least level 32, which is around the time of the fourth gym (alternatively you can use the Kanto badge obedience system, which would still be after the fourth gym in this situation actually)), but otherwise I'd just like all starters to start off on roughly the same level (which won't be formally kept track of, by the way). So if it doesn't evolve via level up (i.e. pikachu evolves via friendship) I'd just ask that it's "low-levelled" is all, unless you'd like your starter to have that Ash/Charizard dynamic lol

EDIT: I'm editing this post nearly a month later, but I reread it and confused myself so I wanted to make it clearer. Judging by the time and date I posted, I had four minutes left on my lunch break at my first day of work at a new job, so I was probably rushing to post it and didn't look it over. xD Sorry!

Last edited: May 27, 2015
  10. DVB

DVB Philosopher Knight

Least with Pikachu, age has a big deal with it. I imagine many of the Pokemon who were granted evolutions in later gens could still have them (I.e. Tangrowth and Togekiss as examples).

I already have my team planned out XD

11. Monster Guy

As do I. xD

12. Ironthunder

Ironthunder The Uncultured One

lol. I don't, I just have the vague idea of finding someone and hanging around them for a bit. Or potentially joining Team Rocket, if the RP allows for it.

13. Tangeh

Tangeh Well-Known Member

Bahaha I haven't even decided what Pokemon are in what area yet, although again all Kanto Pokemon will be in their respective routes. ...Well, I have route 1 done, and there's (edit: I counted one pokemon twice for reasons that will be understandable later >_>) 12 species in it (pidgey + rattata + 10 others). I want there to be a good variety, clearly! I personally haven't even decided what my starter should be. I never plan my teams ahead in games, so I doubt I'll do it differently here. ^^

As per Team Rocket - I don't want anybody to play an antagonist to the main cast. I'd be okay with it if they were in Team Rocket but peacefully traveled with everyone else?? lol idk

Last edited: May 7, 2015
  14. Monster Guy

Andre's planned team is a recreation of a team I made in-game, which is why I know what's on it. xD I also put a lot of thought into my characters teams. ^^

So, are we only waiting on Lost to get his Sign Up in?

15. Tangeh

Tangeh Well-Known Member

Yup! I did shoot him a PM yesterday and he said he'd have it up soon. I still need to type up the opening post, but then we'll be good to go~

16. DVB

DVB Philosopher Knight

Hope we will start this soon! ^^

Meanwhile, are we allowed to suggest ideas regarding plot?

Is there anything we need to keep in mind?

17. Tangeh

Tangeh Well-Known Member

The RP board should be up in ~an hourish! So long as I don't fall asleep typing it which is a genuine concern lol.

And yes of course you can suggest plot ideas! And to keep in mind when suggesting things, you mean? Well, you can suggest anything you want. I guess keep in mind that's its already following the basic plot of the Kanto games, but changes could definitely work to keep things fresh.

edit: I finished and was going to submit but there was an error and it didn't autosave anything. >_________> ugh I'm trying to type it up again. I had everything but my intro post backed up, but still.

edit 2: The RP thread is up! I'll proofread it tomorrow when I'm not half-asleep, but typos permitting we're good to go.

Last edited: May 13, 2015
  18. Monster Guy

I wasn't sure if Miella is already at the lab, or Andre would have talked to her. So, I just ended the post with him going inside. ^^

19. Tangeh

Tangeh Well-Known Member

She was "making her way toward the lab", so no she hasn't gone inside yet. I'm sure she would have noticed Andre's entourage at any rate. xD

20. Schade

Schade No gain, just pain.

I'll post later today. Our dishwasher broke, so we have to do a loooooot of dishwashing.... I'll make a post similar to Mon, ending it with my character entering the lab.
    Eeh, that didn't take long,.. I'll post soon

Last edited: May 13, 2015