• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Kanto Starter availability

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
What did people think about the availability of the traditional Kanto Starters in LGPE?

Personally - it was decently done. You could get them all as a gift like in Yellow (and this was basically a Yellow remake), but there was also opportunity to find them earlier in the wild as a rare encounter, including Bulbasaur in Viridian Forest. It helped encourage engaging more with the overworld wild Pokemon mechanic, imo. But what about you?

BCVM22

I found the act of capturing a wild Bulbasaur or a wild Charizard to be strange and contrary to twenty-plus years of Pokémon dogma. Not bad, just strange.

Italianbaptist

Informed Casual
It adds to the worldbuilding pretty well. They were hinted as simply "rare" in the originals, but we never saw them outside of Oak's lab so I always wondered.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
What did people think about the availability of the traditional Kanto Starters in LGPE?

Personally - it was decently done. You could get them all as a gift like in Yellow (and this was basically a Yellow remake), but there was also opportunity to find them earlier in the wild as a rare encounter, including Bulbasaur in Viridian Forest. It helped encourage engaging more with the overworld wild Pokemon mechanic, imo. But what about you?
Never caught them but I think it's pretty good in terms of worldbuilding.

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
I found the act of capturing a wild Bulbasaur or a wild Charizard to be strange and contrary to twenty-plus years of Pokémon dogma. Not bad, just strange.
Fair there, especially with Charizard personally that it does stand out compare to any other main-series game where they aren't available in the wild. I guesse though the likes of wild Charizard isn't terribly different to being able to catch wile Dragonite or Salamence in SM/USUM, granted via some luck and use of the helper wild Pokemon mechanic.

KyogreThunder

Call of Fate
I wish the starter Pokemon were never available in the wild. At least in X/Y, since they appear in Friend Safari, they can have their Hidden Abilities, but why they decided to make them randomly appear in regular areas in Alola and not make them rewards for completing certain tasks I'll never know.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
I love it!
In fact I hope it happens again in the future
Starters should have always been capturable, just rare

Having to trade for the other two starters was always an annoying task, even if it's somewhat easy. Just breed your starter, put it in the GTS and you're golden!