• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Kanto VS Johto VS Hoenn VS Sinnoh

Status
Not open for further replies.

KyogreThunder

Call of Fate
Which region did you like the best? Which was your least favorite?
Please remember not to spam and explain your choice a bit.

Last edited by a moderator:

skyradiant

To Each Future
Hoenn and Sinnoh were the only regions of the four listed that I liked, because of the tropical island and snowy mountain themes respectively, while Kanto and Johto are really boring. The lore of Hoenn and Sinnoh was also more interesting, the only interesting lore Kanto and Johto had was the stuff involving Mewtwo, the legendary beasts, and Ho-oh and Lugia. Overall, Sinnoh would have to be my favorite, since I'm a sucker for the snow and mountains.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
It's a tough choice for me. I liked Hoenn and Sinnoh a lot, but Johto was pretty cool as well even if it was small. Kanto was boring in my opinion, so I can at least say that it's my least favorite region of the four. So Hoenn = Sinnoh > Johto > Kanto for me.

Ironthunder

The Uncultured One
Meh. To me, Hoenn was boring in all but the lore, while Kanto, and to an extent Johto, are a lot more stripped back, less about plotlines you forget easily and more about general 'catch and train' basis of Pokemon, which reflects in the lack of areas other than the necessary towns/cities/caves/routes. Sinnoh feels more like a balanced mix of the two, but leans a bit too close to 'forgettable plotline' for my liking. Johto's stillmy favorite though, purely because of the general feeling of the region. It felt less... compacted than Kanto.

Johto>Kanto>Sinnoh>Hoenn.

Kalosian

So long
Hoenn and Sinnoh for me. Out of these four, I thought Sinnoh had the best variation in terms of environments, the best Pokemon distribution (in Platinum) and the best post-game in terms of new areas. Hoenn on the other hand had a more consistent theme with the whole region being tropical, and had good balance between land and water areas which went well with the theme of the games. However, it lacked variation when it comes to wild Pokemon and environments on the water routes, and while the Pokemon distribution was good for its time, I don't think it is as good by modern standards. Hoenn also lacks the post-game areas that Sinnoh have. Despite all of this, I still like it a lot. All in all, Hoenn and Sinnoh are my two favorite regions out of these four and overall, they are tied with Kalos as my second favorite regions behind Unova.

Kanto is acceptable. It lacks the variation that Hoenn and Sinnoh has, the layout is not perfect since it is impossible to return to some areas early in the game, which partly hinders exploration for no good reason. The overall layout feels a bit messy compared to the newer regions, though that is kind of acceptable since it was the first region and could for its time not be compared to the later ones. The Pokemon distrubution is at least quite good. Though the region lacks a good post-game. However, if Kanto is backed up by the Sevii Islands, it becomes a whole lot better because the islands makes it a bit more varied and gives it a great post-game in terms of new areas. Not as good as Hoenn or Sinnoh, but pretty close.

Johto is my least favorite region. I don't find it to have many good points. Not a fan of the layout, it feels stupidly designed as it hinders progression and exploration in several places. Like Kanto, there isn't much variation in the environments either. I also find it to have the worst Pokemon distribution. And the level curve... terrible. I just find Johto to be a boring region because it doesn't suit my interests. This is probably not going to be a very popular opinion, but I guess my main problem with Johto is this: it wasn't linear enough.

Overall: Hoenn = Sinnoh > Kanto + Sevii Islands > Kanto (alone) > Johto

Bragatyr

Gotta go with the original, Kanto. Red and Blue had one of the best layouts and most interesting progressions in any RPG I've played.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
I liked Hoenn because ORAS is really driving me to like it (I liked that it was volcanic). I also liked Johto because it was quite interesting to explore. I didn't like Kanto as much because the plot wasn't as much developed as later games but the only thing I like about Kanto is nostalgia:)

Alexander18

Dragon Pokemon fan
I think Sinnoh of Platinum was the best because: Distortion World, Battle Frontier, Pokedex has more pokemon, post game at Stark Mountain and others that I can't remember at the moment.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
I love Johto the most cuz of the neat places like Goldenrod city. I think Sinnoh is my second favourite region. ^^;

Aduro

Mt.BtlMaster
Johto was best on the outside but indoors most of the locations were dull so I'd probably go with Kanto and Sinnoh over Johto. Then Hoenn which got a little dull to travel over visibly.

Sinnoh is my favorite i love the atmosphere of it. people say its boring but i like how calming the music is. it also gave us great places like the distortion world,mt coronet, sphere pillar, and stark mountain just to name a few places

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
Sinnoh is my favorite. I just love the nowy region at the top of the map and it felt bigger than the other regions.

My least favorite.... probably Kanto. The region is It's just not as exciting as the other regions

I actually love Kanto's layout. The way it prevents you from going back once you reach Cerulean (briefly, but still) gives it a little more forward momentum to me. I always thought the way the game leads you forward is pretty clever. It felt like it was giving you interesting things to investigate (the unidentifiable ghosts, the sleeping Snorlax, the party on the S.S. Anne), whereas events in other games leaned more toward obstacles you had to overcome. I also liked the choices you have in getting to Fuschia and Cinnabar, as well as the the way opening up Saffron essentially opens up the whole region to make the late-game experience a lot easier. I'm sure there's plenty of nostalgia talking, but I just feel like Kanto encourages exploration a little more, especially with some of the totally optional locations like the Power Plant and the Seafoam Islands. The Sevii Islands are just a bonus.

Johto as a region is a little less interesting, mostly just because the only time it isn't basically linear is when it requires you to just go backwards to Ecruteak City, and backwards with nothing new is definitely not the most exciting way to explore. Its landmarks are sort of a mixed bag for me, too. Stuff like the Lake of Rage and Ice Path are interesting and (at the time) original, but the Whirl Islands and Dragon's Den took potentially cool ideas and turned them into typical dungeons. However, I think Johto's cities are great, and the lore is probably my favorite from any of the games.

Hoenn's fun if only because it was refreshing from the sort of bland style of the previous two regions. Yeah, you get the usual fields and forests, but there's also a ton of ocean, a volcano, and some of the most distinct cities out of all the regions. Even though I actually prefer forests and mountains, you never really get bored in Hoenn since it's so varied.

Sinnoh, on the other hand, never really stuck out to me. There's a little variation in its geography, but snow and the swamp are really the only things we hadn't seen before. I liked that Mt. Coronet plays a big part throughout your entire journey, but that also means you have to hike through it multiple times. It also felt like I had to retrace my steps a lot, since a few places branch out in multiple directions. I definitely think Sinnoh would have been fun as a first region, but for me it didn't freshen things up enough after three generations.

I guess my final ranking would be this:

Kanto > Hoenn > Johto > Sinnoh

Last edited:

Psychic

Really and truly
In all of my time playing Pokemon games, I've spent the most time in Johto. I love Kanta and all that, but I really like the mood of Johto and the many reasons to run around the region, be it chasing legendaries, hunting apricorns or finding swarms. I especially liked all of the things you could do in Goldenrod City like at the Radio Tower, Underground, and train station (as a kid I literally just milled around the station, pretending to sit on the chairs and talk to other commuters. Also the chairs were arranged to look like an airplane so I amused myself greatly with that). I also love Ecruteak and all of the mystery and legends there. There are lots of other neat places, like the Ruins of Alph, the newly-added Route 47, and caves with hidden characters and Pokemon.

Of all of the Pokemon games, the only ones whose maps I came to know like the back of my hand were Johto and Kanto. Kanto is probably my second favourite region, as it's the first one I ever played in, with Hoenn coming in next, and Sinnoh lagging far behind. I just never really liked the last one, but I've never been a fan of those games in general.

So Johto > Kanto > Hoenn > Sinnoh for me!

~Psychic

Lorde

Johto was best on the outside but indoors most of the locations were dull so I'd probably go with Kanto and Sinnoh over Johto. Then Hoenn which got a little dull to travel over visibly.

I felt that Johto had nice outdoor places including cities like Ecruteak and Goldenrod, but it did feel lacking and dull to me as well. I still think it was more original as a region than Kanto though.

KyogreThunder

Call of Fate
My favorite is definitely Hoenn.I love its tropical theme,most of its landmarks(especially Meteor Falls and the desert),it has some of the most unique towns and cities in the Pokemon world,and even its abundance of sea routes doesn't bother me.Johto is second,as its only landmark I truly dislike is Mt.Mortar,and I love Whirl Islands,Ice Path,Ruins of Alph and Ilex Forest.However,the region itself is too small and the fact it lacks its own Pokemon League doesn't help Johto shine in my eyes.
While I do like Sinnoh,I find the marshlands and the snowy routes entirely tedious to travel through.Still,Sinnoh is huge,has lots of explorable areas and the best mythology of all the regions.
I never really liked Kanto.It just looks very simple and flat to me,and many of its routes are too short(although Johto has this problem too).The only Kanto locations I actually like are Seafoam Islands and Cinnabar Island.
So my ranking of the regions is:Hoenn>Johto>Sinnoh>>>Kanto.

Lorde

Kanto. Well designed, iconic places and I know every corner of it.

Well designed? I beg to differ. The cities and towns were basic with only a few layout differences between them, and frankly there weren't any interesting areas there in my opinion.

Aquarelle

Staff member
My favourite of the four is, without a doubt, Sinnoh. It's my #1 favourite region in the whole franchise and I absolutely love it to pieces. I liked many of the towns and other places in the region, such as Canalave, Oreburgh, Floaroma, Hearthome, Snowpoint, Sunyshore, and the Battle Zone island. Plus, I really liked how Mt. Coronet divided the region in half.
So yeah, Sinnoh means a lot to me and I spent a lot of time there on my games.

Next would be Hoenn. Like Sinnoh, it's a region that I adore and invested a lot of time in. I like that it's a more tropical place and how it has some pretty unique cities like Fortree and Sootopolis. In fact, Sootopolis is probably my favourite Pokemon city because I think having a city built in a big crater is pretty awesome.

I would have to go with Johto next. I've always been a fan of how historical parts of it are, with cities like Violet & Ecruteak and the Ruins of Alph. The Cianwood and Blackthorn areas are pretty nice, too.

So, that leaves Kanto for last, but NOT because I dislike it or anything. I've always thought that Celadon and Vermilion were pretty cities and I like a lot of the routes too.

grey wing

Johto League Champ
Johto is my favorite. It is very nostalgic for me because, even though Yellow was my first game, Crystal was the first game I completed and really got into. The region has my personal favorite mythology, and I love how it feels like a fluid continuation of what started in Kanto.

I would have to say Sinnoh is my least favorite. Nothing really wrong with it, it's just I skipped most of gen 4 because I was an awkward high school kid who was too cool for pokemon, (and I also lacked a DS). I got back into it when heartgold and soulsilver were released and I fan-girled out. I eventually got platinum, and found the whole Sinnoh region and plot to be very "meh" for lack of a better word.

Status
Not open for further replies.