• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Keeping the GWSC Alive

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
So the first run of the community-hosted GWSC just ended, and absolutely no one besides me voted. That is really telling. I guess I was silly for trying this. If someone else wants to attempt to revive the GWSC (or make something new, as has been suggested), I'll throw my support behind them, but for now I am done.

noobiess

6 different pokemon
Yeah, I'm sorry for my lack of activity. It has been a crazy week.
Maybe it isn't such a bad idea to stop at least temporary. We also noticed that when we revived the GWSC back in the days, there was a lot of intrest in it at the start.
However I do feel a monthly art contest could still work...

Sketchie

literally some guy
Ah, sorry for being the odd new face that just crashes in, I found out about GWSC as it was dying, and never got to participate. I'm all for a monthly art contest that's on a broader scale, so people with different skills can all join together. (Though, admittedly, it may be difficult as the art forums have never been the busiest part of the site. Still doable, though.) Making it monthly would give more time to make things look good, too. By making it not spriting specific but still saying yes, hi, the spriters can do things, it may also influence some to say hey, maybe I want to try this out.

Ex Extreme

Just some Random Guy
wow, like, no activity at all...
rip sprites

So, I'm thinking in a few projects to attract some spriters. I will edit this post later to discuss 'bout this.
Anyway, Alola Forms! Retypes are a thing now, lol.

-Raiga-

Sorry to say guys, but more projects is not going to help anything. After all, me helping start the GWSC in the first place, was in fact, a project in of itself to do just that.

Really just head on over to a more active place like DA to continue spriting, it's more fun and easier to do, then trying to put the ol defibrillator on Serebii's fan sprite section every few months.

noobiess

6 different pokemon
I don't think reviving the art section is impossible, as long as the art projects/contests are worth comming for.
Certainly with the alola pokémon, maybe there is more intrest of making retypes.

Ex Extreme

Just some Random Guy
So, What I thought was:
To create a few classical projects to attract some spriters from outside, some exemples are The old School Dexs; Revampdex, Devampdex, and Scratchdex. To attract some new member we could create some kind of 'school' to teach them the basics, this really attracts some new members but it's kinda hard to keep them interested, so if we want it to work we really gotta think how we'll do it.
Another project some guys tried out for a while in my old community was a Role Playing Game based on spriting, this one was really fun and we could make some partnership with the RPG section (there's one on the Forum, right?). I may try to explain, in a separate post, how it used to work if it interests you guys. I don't really remember with all the details tho.
Once we get enough members again we could bring some contests back, and create a few new ones. GWSC, GMSC, GAC (General Arts Contest). Each one of them with a different style and system.

Sorry if my English ain't that good. If something sounds weird please warn me, so I'll try to explain it better.
Made a new post instead of editing tho. Seemed easier.

Last edited:

noobiess

6 different pokemon
I think it is not a bad idea. Giving starting artists a place to learn seems good, and necessary if we won't a good spriting community.
Maybe you should make it a point-based system (like earning levels in spriting) to promote the process.

I have been thinking about a collab with the RPG section before too. I think it is a great idea, because now every subforum is really closed of from one another.

Ex Extreme

Just some Random Guy
I think it is not a bad idea. Giving starting artists a place to learn seems good, and necessary if we won't a good spriting community.
Maybe you should make it a point-based system (like earning levels in spriting) to promote the process.

Hm, I was thought something kinda different, so, we would teach the new spriters and once they reach a certain level of experience on some category (Recolor, Devamp, etc) they would be able to teach that category to the other members too. This way we would always have someone to support the students and it would be a motivation to the newcomers.

To measure if the member is qualified to teach they would be "challenged" or invited by some kind of 'judges' into presenting 'em a few sprites showing their abilities. We could make something like some diploma (is this the right word?) to give to the ones who are approved.