• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Kill la Kill

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
So I guess we kind of know how the Rebuild: Evangelion movies are kind of going to end for Gendo. Face punching, hopefully.

Pfffffft. Well, there's still time for Gendo to take back his crown, but I don't think anyone's (yet) evil enough to challenge Ragyo at this point. So a punch in the face from his son would be great to see.

I am seriously tempted to draw connections between Joan Crawford and Ragyo. I have this joke that she should be brought back from the dead just to voice Ragyo, because it really wasn't long before I thought of Mommie Dearest when she was on the screen for a few episodes. Ragyo would make Joan Crawford look like a loving mother anyway, but I swear the two would probably be drinking buddies.

I had a feeling Senketsu was going to die, or at least leave Ryuko somehow at the very end, but I think what made it even more sad was the fact he shielded her from burning up even when he was being torn to shreds. Even to the very end, he thought of Ryuko's wellbeing. And he gave her permission to wear cuter clothes than he, and I just can't ಥ﹏ಥ... he really had outlived his usefulness, and he was okay with it...

Happy thoughts, happy thoughts...

Oh, did anyone else catch Gamagoori with the flowers in the alleyway at the very end of the montage :D? I bet we know who he's giving them to X3. Squee~

CuriousHeartless

So much better than the other two big shows since 2012, too. Attack on Titan and Sword Art Online don't even compare. Anyone who disagrees better have a legit reason

Amen, brother (or sister, whatever). Strangely enough, I was laughing all through the first three episodes of AoT. But that's off-topic and I'm not going to the AoT thread just to say that it is one of the funniest things I've seen lately, even if it was 80% unintentional (Jeanne and Sasha are meant to be funny at least).

That finale, man...I was just so...Man. I was actually out-loud going 'No, you can't die' in this episode. This was one of the most glorious things I've ever seen. And Satsuki looks so...normal in everyday clothes. Cute to see that everyone is still together and that the simple fact they no longer have a purpose doesn't mean they no longer have a friendship.

Hate to disagree with you, Charizard Champion, but this was probably better than Gurren Lagann. Don't get me wrong, I love Gurren Lagann, but I just found this better. Maybe because it was more personal with the fact that, up until this point, no hero had died and then one does after their victory. Made the loss sadder than what was in Gurren Lagann (Not everyone has watched it, so I won't say what. But I guess this already gives away that some heroes died. Fine, I'll admit it, Leeron dies in the final fight). It is also a more personal conflict with this having the same exact stakes, but an actual connection between the hero and villain. I also felt Ragyo was a better villain than the Anti-Spirals.

So, full series analysis:

Pros:
Too many to list.

Cons:
A bit excess fanservice. Still not too bad, though.
Tsumugu became rather useless.
Hououmaru felt underdeveloped.
That second closing theme. Boy, that second closing theme.
The life fiber bullet just disappeared from the story without even a second appearance.
We have to wait until September for the conclusion (Assuming the OVA isn't a prequel or interquel).

Overall: 9.5/10.

Last edited:

Born Better

God of Lightning
Nice ending. Gotta say Gamagoori was the best part, and Fashion Week Ryuko was cool, even is the name could use some work.

Last edited:

p96822

Evolve me please
After all of my first wacthing of this anime, I still don't like it too much because I think the main charater could have been a side charater and had the sister being the main charater insead because she was more instressing and didn't desiver the kicking around from other charaters.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
Fashion Week Ryuko was cool, even is the name could use some work.

It's sadly a case of lost in translation (I looked this up, it's under "Lost in Translation" on the Kill la Kill TV Tropes page). "Kisaragi" is an old Japanese name for February, which is traditionally when one would be start to wear spring clothes. Well, a lot of non-Japanese speakers don't know this. I don't know why they didn't keep it as "kisaragi" and we would've shrugged it off, but since some subs did also translate "kamui" ("godrobe") and the other titles, obviously they were going to translate "kisaragi".

So "Fashion Week" was used instead because it's an event held annually in February in New York. (You know, involving the catwalk with the models posing usually-weird-looking fashion designs they call "trendy". Yeah, I don't think any of us here watch it either.) I don't think too many people got it either, though (unless there are fashion designers who watched this anime, which I wouldn't doubt that there are), but most people are still settling for "Kisaragi" anyway.

Though honestly, I don't think she'd be alienated on the catwalk with the outfit. It's a little amusing.

Oh well.

Dub cast!

Ryuko Matoi: Erica Mendez (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=124478)
Satsuki Kiryuin: Carrie Keranen
Senketsu: David Vincent
Mako Mankanshoku: Christine Marie Cabanos
Aikuro Mikisugi: Matthew Mercer
Ira Gamagoori: Patrick Seitz (I would say "all of my money" if it weren't Aniplex, where they RUN AWAY with that phrase)
Uzu Sanageyama: Grant George
Nonon Jakuzure: Sarah Williams (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=104914)
Houka Inumuta: Steve Staley (under Steve Cannon)
Shiro Iori: Todd Haberkorn
Mataro Mankanshoku: Lindsey Eaton
Barazo Mankanshoku: Michael Sorich
Sukuyo Mankanshoku: Erika Harlacher (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=104916)

Alex von David is directing, and part 1 (of 5 -- what era does Aniplex think this is, the 90s?!) will be released July 15th. Here's the trailer!

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
Alex von David is directing, and part 1 (of 5 -- what era does Aniplex think this is, the 90s?!) will be released July 15th. Here's the trailer!

Oh hell yes, this is my graduation present, there's no doubt about it.

*clicks trailer*

*beat*

OH HELL NO

SENKETSU NO

THAT VOICE IS AWFUL

DAMN YOU DAVID VINCENT

DAMN YOU ALEX VON DAVID FOR CASTING HIM

*heavy huff*

Gamagoori's voice is okay. He might grow on me.

But everyone else sounds fine. I think Erica Mendez sounds great as Ryuko from what we have, I'm really looking forward to more of her performance. Sarah Williams as Nonon also sounds promising. But Satsuki as Carrie Keranen sounds fantastic, she'll probably steal the spotlight for the dub. Unless Matthew Mercer as Aikuro does well, since he doesn't sound too bad, either.

So with exception of Senketsu's voice, I'm excited for this. I will happily watch this dubbed because I said I'd support the dub no matter what.

CuriousHeartless

Yes! First the series was put on Netflix, and now the cast is announced. Truth be told, I only recognize Mathew Mercer (Oh God yes) and Todd Haberkorn (Not sure he can pull of Shiro, but still a decent voice actor). I really hope this is good.

Charizard Champion#06

Spiral Warrior
Even as someone who prefers Gurren Lagann's dub I don't like this dub based off the trailer. It just sounds like Aniplex's team didn't put in that same kind of effort the original did. They wanted to push their newbie actors and actresses before actually having a suitable casting job. And I swear to God if Nui is Monica Rial...

I'm gonna do a rundown of what I think about each character in order of trailer appearance.

Patrick Seitz as Gamagoori: I called this one weeks ago. He sounds alright but that pronunciation of Kiryuin is off. I'm worried this is going to be a constant issues, at least in the first few episodes as the voices get used to their roles.

Satsuki: Bad. Listen to that delivery of "Subjugation is liberation" and tell me to my face you think it's good voice acting. "You piiiiiiiigs in human clothing" Nope. Doesn't sound right at all. Later on she does a fine job of doing soft-voiced Satsuki, but if you can't do the yelling right what's the point?

Ryuko: Doesn't sound like a girl. Often in dubs you hear a woman very obviously acting as a young boy. Sometimes they can mask it and you get Alphonse Elric (Brotherhood version). Sometimes they can't and you get Black Star. Ryuko sounds like Black Star. Ryuko is tough and tomboyish in Japanese but she still sounds like a girl. They should have casted someone who does a tomboy voice naturally because this sounds incredibly forced.

Sanageyama: Wasted opportunity here not going with Sam "Viral" Riegel. He sounds entirely different from the original. That, and his audio sounds like it was recorded in a different room altogether. I doubt he's going to even attempt to do the high-pitched Link-like attack vocals during fights. He doesn't sound as energetic, though it's a pretty laid back line.

Inamuta: Sounds correct. Mostly because it's just a Japanese accent that he's putting on.

Nonon: One of the only ones that actually works. Nonon's voice is hard to replicate but she's got it.

Mikisugi: He doesn't sound like either of his personae, what the hell. One's supposed to be an old fart, the other's supposed to be sexy. This is neither.

Mako: Her voice is pretty much impossible to replicate anyway so it's not surprising she sounds god-awful.

SANDKATS: A shame that such a good acting job is wasted on such a terrible casting decision. Senketsu is supposed sound like an older father figure, not this young at all. How do you miss someone's character traits so hard?

To top this all off Aniplex is charging an insane amount of $60 for Volume 1 which only contains four episodes. To own the entire collection will end up costing $360. That is ****ing ridiculous, especially for this piece of ****, barebones, no effort localization job.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
Wow, someone sure is pissed, even if rightfully so. Though honestly, are we really that surprised about this? I'm not sure what Aniplex' reputation is like, but I don't think all of the voice actors and actresses are newbies. From what I've looked up, Erica Mendez seems to be the only one who's a newbie playing a main character, and I honestly don't believe she's doing a bad job. This is only the preview, I'm fairly certain they'll get comfortable into their roles soon enough. (David Vincent is the exception, I don't think he's going to get better as Senketsu at all.) I'm still waiting to see who'll be cast as Ragyo.

To top this all off Aniplex is charging an insane amount of $60 for Volume 1 which only contains four episodes. To own the entire collection will end up costing $360. That is ****ing ridiculous, especially for this piece of ****, barebones, no effort localization job.

To be fair, that's the limited edition, even though the standard DVD volume being forty bucks is something to raise a brow at, but from what I heard, they do it to even out the yen. Not that I don't think it's bogus either, but neither it, nor the quality of the dub is appalling enough to really turn me away, personally.

Eternal Darkness

Eternal Evil
I agree with CC#06. The only voice I really liked was Nonon's. The rest either made me cringe or want to exit out.

Satsuki was by far the worst for me. In the original, I would almost say her speech is something worth listening to, but here, it's really not. If anything, it almost sounds funny

Keep in mind that the trailer contains footage from just the first couple episodes. They're bound to get better, just have a little faith.

T5000X

Indivijul
Just about to finish watching KLK for the third time, now I have an excuse to watch it another three times.

Born Better

God of Lightning
With the exception of Senketsu, the voices weren't all that bad. Senketsu, however, was just no. I hope it gets better.

Last edited:

Joltik-Kid

Careful? Where's the fun in that?
Sweet, loved this series... guess Senketsu voice is gonna have to grow on me, cause it's probably the only voice that doesn't fit. It wasn't as bad as everyone made it out to be (at least to me) but I do agree it's not that fitting. Everyone almost matches the Japan voice actors though, which is interesting to say the least XD

:?/ <---pretty much my face when i listened to the dubbed version. My thoughts, English Gamigori will take a bit of time to grow on me (sounds like he's in his 40's), but seems to fit the character relatively well. Senketsu made me cry sad tears. Not too crazy about Ryuuko's voice actor either. Aside from that, i'm ok with all the others. Matt Mercer is probably my favorite of the voice actors listed. Thought his voice acting as Chrom was superb in Fire Emblem Awakening.

Nodame

Misty <3
I'd like to say that this anime has left me speechless. It's a combination of goofiness,cuteness and epicness in 1. There is a huge character development through the series of the main characters as they struggle to fight against the injustice. The soundtrack is epic. Characters are likeable. It was a great enjoyment to watch this.

My favourite character is Mako. She's hilarious! ^.^