• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Kindergarten Chaos (816)

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
Hmm Penelope was kind of boring but seeing her Sylveon win against Froakie impressed me ha ha. Sylveon seemed cool here tho I didn't like Team rocket's trap cuz it cut into the kindergarten playtime bits.

munchlaxboy

Catching up on XY
Kindergarten Chaos immediately grabs the audience's attention by beginning with Ash & Co. having already encountered another trainer. It is hard to remember the last time a Pokemon episode started with a trainer battle, so it was certainly a pleasant surprise to see the writers break away from the traditional exposition-laden opening. It really gave a jumpstart to the episode, and the battle itself was entertaining and even quite funny as Froakie fell to the opposing Sylveon's Attract. Sylveon's trainer, Penelope, made the battle more interesting by laying down some stakes beforehand: if she wins, Ash has to come with her; she also referred to Ash as "sweetie" a couple of times. This peculiar setup of course sent Serena into a panic as she believed that Penelope was making an advance on her crush. This was actually the first real Amourshipping moment since Giving Chase at the Rhyhorn Race! a whole six episodes prior. While some may have different opinions as to how the Pokemon anime--which is primarily targeted at a child audience--should handle romance, it is difficult to deny that it certainly makes episodes and the saga as a whole a lot more interesting. In this anime's 17-year history, we have been exposed to countless forgetful fillers and bland, throwaway plots; at the very least, Serena's crush on Ash and the possibility of him reciprocating said feelings adds an overarching plot line to the saga that holds the audience's attention throughout each episode as the viewer eagerly anticipates what will happen next and when.

Back to the episode. Penelope is actually a teacher at a kindergarten, and (to Serena's relief) she just wanted to bring Ash back to the playground so he could show her students his Pokemon. If this sort of plot rings a bell, its because the Pokemon anime's done it before. Many times, actually (The Purr-fect Hero (EP055) for example). However, things are a bit different this time around. Why? Well, because this episode continues the XY saga's trend of depicting Ash as a pretty awesome dude, as previously established in Lumiose City Pursuit! (XY002). He acts as a great role model to Randall--a shy kindergartener who's afraid of Pokemon--and helps him overcome his fear through some very mature guidance. When Team Rocket nabs Pikachu and Sylveon and drives off, Ash doesn't think twice about jumping on the back of their truck and busting inside to save the Pokemon. Sure, Ash has done some cool and courageous stuff before, but the writers and animators seem quite keen on characterizing the XY Ash as a true hero through deliberate writing decisions and calculated heroic imagery.

This episode had everything. A fun battle, lots of Pokemon, teases of romance, and action-hero Ash all come together to make for a fantastic filler episode. Sure, the episode's plot has already been done what feels like a thousand times already, but this installment in particular manages to feel fresh. It goes to show that filler is not a bad thing when done correctly. Now if only the other XY fillers were more like this...

Grade: B+

Gillachu

Banned
Hmm Penelope was kind of boring but seeing her Sylveon win against Froakie impressed me ha ha. Sylveon seemed cool here tho I didn't like Team rocket's trap cuz it cut into the kindergarten playtime bits.

Sylveon winning was such bs in my opinion and she only won to hype fairies.

JudySpell

Banned
The preschool lady must've been tough since she managed to win against Ash. I thought that Serena's moment of worry was kind of funny though. 6/10

*Frank*

LOL'd at the scene where Serena misinterpreted Penelope. Wow this girl really is head over heels for Ash, eh?
Anyway I didn't find the episode that entertaining, and the atmosphere wasn't tense.

Edit: Props to the writers for referencing the Trainer eye contact code from the games.

Last edited:

wobbanut

Team Awesome
The plotline of the episode felt a bit recycled (we've definitely had schoolkids and shy kids before), so it wasn't that impressed with it, but Meowth and James's costumes were cute. I also noticed that they correctly sized Pumpkaboo in this episode, as it looks like the 11 inches taller than Inkay that it should be (2'3" for supersize compared to Inkay's 1'4"). Froakie was great too, and was hilarious when he fell under attract in the opening battle.

5/10

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
I thought that Serena's moment of worry was kind of funny though. 6/10

I liked how she seemed worried for a moment when Penelope wanted Ash to go with her, but the misunderstanding happened quick and I thought it was just a cute reaction even tho it wasn't that important. ^^

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic
I was laughing my head off when Froakie lost to Sylveon. I didn't like Sylveon as a Pokemon, though. Something about it gave me Mary Sue vibes. Sylveon was portrayed as too perfect...

Leonhart

Imagineer
Satoshi probably should've used his Pikachu against Premier's Nymphia instead since he knew Iron Tail, but I guess Satoshi's ignorance of Fairy-types did him in here. It was enjoyable seeing Satoshi and his friends hanging out at a school, and I liked watching Keromatsu sulk on his own. He reminded me of Satoshi's Kimori.

Alloutℯ

Banned
Even though the battle was short in the beginning, I really liked it. It's too bad that Attract really made the remainder of the battle one-sided. Froakie's personality was shown off a bit more. I like how Froakie was kicking apples at Sylveon.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
I guess this was an ok episode, for XY that is. I didn't really care for Serena getting jealous over Penelope and it seemed a bit overly dramatic imo. I liked seeing Sylveon in action though and I found it hilarious that it beat Froakie in a battle. I still don't think Team Rocket should have been in this episode.

Leonhart

Imagineer
I guess this was an ok episode, for XY that is. I didn't really care for Serena getting jealous over Penelope and it seemed a bit overly dramatic imo.

Serena's whole misunderstanding about Premier's intentions seemed like clickbait, honestly. The fact that the first episode summary made such a big deal out of it is evidence that it was planned to attract attention.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Wasn't this episode just a huge copy of that old Kid's Day episode from OS? Basically everything seemed similar even Penelope's school.

In a way there were some minor similarities between the two episodes, although this episode focused somewhat less on the children at the school, and more on showcasing Nymphia.

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
I think this was the 1st episode where Serena is getting jealous about someone taking Ash away from her. And Froakie got blushed over its defeat against Sylveon since the latter kissed it until its health ran out. XD

Leonhart

Imagineer
I think this was the 1st episode where Serena is getting jealous about someone taking Ash away from her.

It was the first time, and the whole thing was a tease anyway since her reaction lasted only a few seconds, and was quickly stifled when Premier got a proper introduction.

This was a boring episode overall. I hope the writers don't spend a lot of time showing Serena as concerned for Ash if there are no plans for Ash and Serena express feelings for each other. It would be a complete waste of screen time. It was good to see Froakie get highlighted again though. Seeing the kindergarten class having fun with the Pokemon was kind of cute.

RafaSceptile

Reviewing the Pokémon anime in 10 words or less:
"The fairy type saved this episode from being a filler"

Episode: 6/10