• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

King of the Sea (No, it is not Lugia!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok a few suggestions.

First off is to drop Kingdra. Yeah I know, he's the coolest looking Dragon ever. Clair may have utterly devastated teams with it but it sucks *** in OU right now. It gets walled to death by Sp Def Celebi, Ferrothorn, Jellicent, Blissey, Vaporeon etc. It has some power but your team doesn't really even handle its counters too well. What your team does do very well however is work in Rain. Running Gyarados without rain is almost like trying to sweep with Gyarados when it is constantly intimidated. Try Politoed > Kingdra.

Politoed @ Leftovers
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 244 Def / 252 HP / 12 Spd
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Toxic
- Perish Song
- Protect

Defensive Politoed gives you something to do against a +1 Gyarados, besides lose. It also brings Rain and can help lure in and burn Ferrothorn / Toxic Rotom W. With Ferrothorn burned and Rotom W crippled or dead very little can stand in your Gyarados's way.

Mamoswine is mostly fine. However try running Focus Sash with Stealth Rock > Icicle Crash. This way you can run Spikes on Ferrothorn. Also on Ferrothorn try Thunder Wave. Twave / Spikes + 2 filler (pick 2 of Leech Seed / Gyro Ball / Power Whip / Protect).

In testing I found Breloom to be utterly useless. It never really managed to sweep so more often than not I just hit something with Spore and double switched out as they brought in their Dragonite or whatever. If you are running Politoed > Kingdra (I HIGHLY suggest you do) try Specially Defensive Calm Mind Jirachi.

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 176 Spd / 252 HP / 80 SDef
Calm Nature
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Thunder
- Water Pulse

HP and Sp Def EVs gives you enough durability to prevent Reuniclus and Tentacruel from ever breaking your Subs (Reuniclus has like a 10% chance to but oh well). Speed outruns Adamant Lucario. Water Pulse has 90 BP in the rain and rips through annoying defensive Landorus and Gliscor while breaking Heatran and sorta hurting offensive Tyranitar.

On Gyarados run Bounce > Stone Edge. Bounce OHKOs Salamence, Gyarados, and Dragonite after rocks while Volcarona obviously can't take a Waterfall. Rotom W takes more damage from Stone Edge but Rain boosted Waterfalls have 90 BP vs Stone Edges 100 and you can OHKO Scarf Rotom with +2 Rain Waterfall. Bounce lets you break through Celebi and Ferrothorn, even spreading Paralysis and stalling for Leftovers recovery. It even has better accuracy and power. It is absolutely the better option.

Scarf Latios is ok, but try Scarf Latias instead. Though it has slightly worse offenses (though they are by no means bad) it has the special defense to check things like Politoed / Thundurus / Venusaur etc more easily. Not only that but it gets Healing Wish which is amazing for your team. Healing Wish is a great option for Gyarados and Jirachi. If a Sub sweeper is forced out before it wins the game it generally doesn't have many more chances to sweep. However Healing Wish will let you bring Gyarados, Jirachi, or even Politoed (keep Rain up) back from the brink of death. Healing Wish also heals before Spikes / SR / Sandstorm damage so a 1% Gyarados will end up at decent HP even if rocks are down. Healing Wish also brings your Pokemon back at the end of the turn so you don't even need to switch in. Healing Wish can bring back a 1% Mamoswine.

This is the importable I ended up with. I know you don't want to lose Kingdra but dropping Kingdra could be the difference between having an average team and having a very solid, very usable one.

Mamoswine @ Focus Sash
Trait: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 176 Spd / 252 HP / 80 SDef
Calm Nature
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Thunder
- Water Pulse

Gyarados @ Leftovers
Trait: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 208 Spd / 48 HP
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Bounce
- Substitute

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 88 Def / 252 HP / 168 SDef
Impish Nature
- Leech Seed
- Thunder Wave
- Power Whip
- Spikes

Latias (F) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Surf
- Healing Wish
- Trick

Politoed @ Leftovers
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 244 Def / 252 HP / 12 Spd
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Toxic
- Perish Song
- Protect

Takeo

First off is to drop Kingdra. Yeah I know, he's the coolest looking Dragon ever. Clair may have utterly devastated teams with it but it sucks *** in OU right now.

Your just mad you had to sacrifice your Weezing to explosion to kill her Kingdra in your nuzlocke run, you're holding on to some resentment!!!!!
Also if he/she/whatever dropped Kingdra he would have to ask you to change the name of the thread to something else :( and that requires work!

azeem40

Pokemon is fun!
I will test out all your changes Blue Harvest. Thanks for taking time to RMT.

I cannot keep Politoed as I don't want my team to be a rain team. I use weatherless teams and I want to stay that way.

Without a spinblocker, the hazards were spun away too many times for it to be worth keeping both.

Jirachi can't work without rain and since my team is weatherless, I could not test it.

Thanks for the help, but your changes are more like a team redo, and I cannot do that. Kingdra is meant to be my late-game sweeper, and out of the matches I've been using it, it has always been performing great.

Last edited by a moderator:
I cannot keep Politoed as I don't want my team to be a rain team. I use weatherless teams and I want to stay that way.

Why restrict yourself. You don't win any "cool" points for using a weatherless team. Your opponent certainly won't hesitate to run weather so why should you let them play with a field condition that they almost exclusively benefit from. Especially when your team VASTLY improves when it is raining.

Without a spinblocker, the hazards were spun away too many times for it to be worth keeping both.

If you see that your opponent has a spinner on team preview actually think. Will you be able to prevent them from spinning by keeping up offensive pressure? Can you lure out their Tentacruel or Donphan and send in Gyarados for free while they spin your hazards, but win you the game?

Jirachi can't work without rain and since my team is weatherless, I could not test it.

That sucks huh.

Thanks for the help, but your changes are more like a team redo, and I cannot do that. Kingdra is meant to be my late-game sweeper, and out of the matches I've been using it, it has always been performing great.

Kingdra isn't very good. It might perform well on the lower ends of the ladder but unless you improve you won't even fight good opponents. But if you can't make my changes work and would rather restrict yourself that's fine. It's your team.

^ Maybe, he is playing Clear Skies rules and that is why he cannot use Politoed.

He isn't. He's just running weatherless because he doesn't want to run a weather for some reason. His choice, but all that does is put his team at a disadvantage and cripple his options.

Anyhow OP was banned so I'm locking this.

Status
Not open for further replies.