• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Knowing and Overcoming Out-Group Homogeneity Bias

jireh the provider

Video Game Designer
After watching this video on Matthew Patrick's tale from visiting and talking with the one and only Pope Francis, this gets me thinking and curious about the prevailing pros and cons of Social Anthropological Principle of Out-Group Homogeneity Bias (let's initialism it to SAPO-GHB to make reading easier) and Heuristics. I suggest you all watch it first to get a better grasp of it for it is NOT just an instant swallow for most of us.

To simplify what SAPO-GHB is, it is very much the concept where an individual sees a group of people only in one thing versus the group of allegiance that you are more familiar with. Simply, one of the causes of stereotyping, oversimplification, and other causes of cultural misinterpretations thanks to human biological evolution.

I'm interested to know the challenges of the culture around you have to overcome. No culture is limited in this thread. It is open to discussion to all cultures within the members here. How can a individual and a group learn to see everything in the world not in black and white. Rather, be neutral grey about the differences of the many differences of the world. I remember seeing my own culture in just a simple black and white view years ago. But now, I don;t see my own culture that way so much for I see my own culture in a gray color perspective of respecting and understanding both the pros and cons of my own culture. I bet that some of you here have your own struggles with Heuristics and SAPO-GHB.

Just for a quick example, in some cultures, they interpret the Filipino people in this phrase: domestic helpers. For the people with that inheritance, one part of it is true but it also makes their culture seen in a negative light. Filipinos are also known for some groups or other cultures of people to be one of the most optimistic, disciplined, and innovative cultures. However, some would only see them in negative qualities such as poor nation, culturally backwards, and many other things to say about them.