• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Koharu, Yamper, and Sometimes Gengar Too! (1100)

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
Lack of creativity? Boredom? Or maybe that's the ultimate best they can do? Pick one. :rolleyes:

Anyway, back on topic, Koharu's development here, while existent, was minimal. Though it's a start and I am looking forward to more. Fingers crossed the writers don't turn her into a Pokemon fangirl like Ash and Go.

Agree. I really dig her being a bit cynical to the overhyped behavior of ash and Go. Makes interesting chemistry between all three of them.

Twilight-Kun

Pokemon World Champion
Makes u wonder why do they even watch at this point considering all their statements are full of negativity and jabs
Because someone has to be the honest one
Agree. I really dig her being a bit cynical to the overhyped behavior of ash and Go. Makes interesting chemistry between all three of them.
Here's hoping they don't throw all that away and make her Generic Anime Girl #1351

Twilight-Kun

Pokemon World Champion
Hey there, you still haven't answered my question. ^^" I am waiting to hear how exactly Koharu has more development than all Alola pokegirls.

If you want to make bold claims, at least provide some receipts. :D
I already did - 22 minutes worth, in fact
So basically, you still watch the anime to point out it's flaws and negativities? Why watch a show you dislike? I seriously don't get it
Because it's still pokémon, and underneath all the drama, there's some fun to be had regardless of the series' declining quality

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
Declining quality? In the games I'm inclined to agree. The anime however has never been better. XY, SM and now PM2019, three incredible series back to back. It doesn't feel like ash is going nowhere now. This series is unpredictable. Status quo don't exist. And passion for the anime is evident by its creators moreso than ever. It's the best time to be an anipoke fan.

mysticalglacia

Alola Shill
A solid episode. Koharu is an interesting character in a way that we’ve never really seen on a Pokémon girl. While May and Lillie- Serena wasn’t focused on a goal early on but she still clearly bonded with Pokémon- had disinterest and for the latter outright fear in Pokémon, Koharu displays her disinterest in an outright way. She’s not pretending to like Pokémon more than she does, nor trying to convince others. I like how she didn’t even get any major development this episode; simply just accepting that it’s okay to not have a career identical to her parents, as well as growing closer to Yamper. I’ll be honest, I wish the episode wasn’t so over the place with Wurmple evolving- I feel like that should’ve been saved for later- but it came together decently. Dragonite is adorable.

Like everybody else, I appreciated the family dynamic Koharu has and the messages there with her mother. Aya Matsui is always the best writer for episodes oriented around women because she, well, is one. It felt authentic and personal, as her episodes tend to be. I hope future Koharu episodes go to her, because she writes her well. Gengar was cool and it seems pretty obvious she’ll catch it in the future. Its move set is also quite cool (love Ice Punch), as was that final scene under the moon. I’d like for Koharu to build up a small team of at least 2-3 Pokémon to demonstrate her selective trust in Pokémon; could be good development.

Side note, but I really liked the way everyone was drawn here. Ash and Koharu looked really good for some reason; the scenery too.

Last edited:

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
Despite how much @AuraChannelerChris always says Lillie's voice sounded way too young, I've never actually had a problem with Lillie's voice, and in the meantime, I have to say, Chloe's voice sounded WAY too young in this episode, younger than Goh for sure, so young that at the beginning of the episode I thought the first scene was a flashback. (I say the first scene specifically since she was under the covers and you couldn't see her, and later, with her bedhead, it still wasn't clear whether this was present-day or past Chloe. Obviously once she got ready, and I could see what age she looked like, I realized this wasn't a flashback.) Now, why am I only bringing this up now? It's because I just noticed it now. If Cherami Leigh sounded this way in the first 10 episodes, I never noticed it, probably because she appeared way less. (oh and btw, AuraChannelerChris, I know sometimes you misinterpret my posts about you, so I'm clarifying this up front: this is not an attack on you in any way, and I just want to have a conversation about it because I find it interesting that we have such different opinions on this, and it's interesting to discuss)

How did the Professor and his assistants get from the basement to the computer room without passing through the lobby and noticing Ash and Goh fighting it?

Overall, I really liked this episode. I wouldn't say it's my favorite, but probably my 3rd favorite behind the 2 Ash-centric episodes of the tournament and the Dragonite (episodes 7 and 10). This episode reminds me of the 5 Alola companions' intro episodes, and it's interesting that for the second straight generation, such an episode is needed to intro a character, after they weren't needed for the first six generations, due to the traveling format of those generations effectively introducing the characters since they were there all the time. Btw, if you're not sure which intro episodes I'm talking about, it's these:

SM005: Lana
SM006: Sophocles
SM008: Lillie
SM011: Kiawe
SM018: Mallow

Françoise

Oh interesting! It does come from the original! I was going to ask what it was named in the original lol. I wonder why Francois in both. So random.

For me, it just seems kinda odd to suddenly be introducing characters who are essentially the “normal” in a world of Pokémon. Like for the series like Yugioh, they wouldn’t be too out of place in the cast but for Pokémon, the world had always been presented as people and Pokémon working in harmony. We’ve even had characters who would have normal careers like police, fire fighters, writers, pro sportsmen, construction workers, farmers, etc who all work with Pokémon. Even in the movie Everyone’s Story, we had possibly the most realistic city and that even had people in harmony with Pokémon. I’m not really sure what a normal like Koharu could really contribute within the confines of the series and this seems like an odd time to start having a character like that.

I kind of get what you mean by it seems like an odd time, but when would be a good time then? The sooner the better imo

Episodes like this show that while you can try, there's no way to avoid continuity altogether ... Stop trying to make the show something it can't and will never be no matter how hard it tries.

What is the evidence that the writers are even trying to avoid continuity? The span from episodes 6-9 was a little weird and unlike anything I've seen before in this anime, but it didn't seem more "anti-continuity" than say, similar spans of 4+ fillers in a row in the past. (and btw, I know 6-9 weren't fillers - I'm just comparing the two because of how they felt)

The only difference here is that there will be no more drawn out arcs, which is fine

Proof? Link? Was there some Japanese press release I missed saying that Pokémon was making this shift?

Kinda the norm for Ghost-types

"Aw, it wants to literally drag you into the afterlife or sucks your soul out of your body if it looks at you, but it's totally harmless, we swear!"

Not gonna lie, "Scare at the Litwick Mansion!" literally scared me, and I was 18 years old at the time.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Not much I can say about this episode other than the fact that it certainly took them long enough to give Chloe some focus. I'm not entirely sure why she exists if she does so little for the show. Hopefully moving forward they'll do more to justify her inclusion.