• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Koharu, Yamper, and Sometimes Gengar Too! (1100)

Twilight-Kun

Pokemon World Champion
It's not the first time they've had a pokémon battle theme in PM, but it's so uninspired that it might take a moment for recognition to kick in

It's a pity they couldn't do the Pokémon Masters approach where they have the theme, and then construct something new around it

Eievui-Nymphia

XY, gen of dreams.
I miss Shinji Mizayaki.

About the episode proper, I hope that this isn't the last time for 15-20 episode where we have Koharu for more than a minute. Also, she needs to appear in at least 75-80% of the episodes, with appearances of 2-3 minutes per episode in at least 60% of those appearances. If not, I 'll think that Koharu's character is only done to have a "girl" in a show where the main characters (Satoshi, Go and Sakuragi) are male. (And for the record, the TRio shold be in at least 2/3 of the episodes and please drop that ha machine and go to Alola and recapture Mimikkyu and Hidoide; or alternatively use things that Habunake, Megayanma, Sabonea, Pumpjin, Maaiika)

About the episode proper...
-IIRC this episode could be the most "Japanese" episode since "Fierce Fight! Pokémon Girls' Festival", also known as "Princess vs Princess", episode that aired in summer 1998. And I don't remember having an episode about non-Pokemon schools for 10-year old characters in the entire history of the Pokemon anime. If there were an anime episode at a standard school that isn't a kindergarten (example = XY013; Nymphia's debut) please tell me.

The best part of the episode is that we have a Japanese school feature on the Pokemon anime (although I don't like that they're waisting the "girl"* in that role) and that we have 90% of chances that Gengar could reappear again.

*If we have another main girl on the main cast (with right now is only Satoshi and Go, both of them male) I wouldn't have any problem with a second/third girl going to school and staying in the background.

Observer

Mostly watching
Looks like the anime took another dip in the 'Slice of Life' pool again, either way it was a nice little breather episode since we got look into the life of Koharu. The reason I say that it's a breather episode is because of last week's episode with Dragonite's capture was pretty shocking and the upcoming episodes might be pretty intense more or less. Yeah this was a nice little break for us.

As for Gengar and who might catch it, well it's dealers choice.

WaterShuriken

"I..I..Iron Tail, Pikachu."
Hmm. I like Koharu's family. They all seem like a genuinely nice family unit. The mom offering her advice was very touching and I also love the way how she said Sakuragi had a good point but she herself made her own decision.

It was so weird seeing an actual anime school. I know Ash attended school last series but that was a Pokémon School, this is an Academic School. I can see why Go hates it.

Oh actually! This is the 3rd time, we briefly saw one in season 1 and the other time that comes to mind was actually Iris' school in Opelucid City.

Go's comment on Koharu's coldness was an interesting one. Like many, I get the feeling that she might be a bit jealous of Ash and Go's immediate friendship. We'll see how that develops but I think Ash will help her realize what her dream will be. Ash has always been good at that.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
This is probably my fav episode yet of this anime. It was just so wholesome. Yamper is so cute. Koharu is an amazing character and an actual unique character. I love her ignorant attitude it's a bless of fresh air. Idk why people want female characters who are just fans of ash, this is such a new and interesting concept.

The story of koharu's mom was so wholesome. I loved it.

This episode clearly made it such that i no longer have any problem with Go. He interacts with his Pokemon daily and is a fun character, i do enjoy his catching and he does need to work to get his captures sometimes, i don't expect him to work that much for easy captures so I'm tired of people bitching about that. And he just has an amazing personality.

Love how they have koharu importance and loved the gengar

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
Seriously, what part of "Go is a main character." and thus "Go does not hog screentime that is rightfully his." do you and your likes not understand? Or are you saying by equivalent that every time Ash has gotten focus at any point in this show's past, either unyieldingly or next to someone else's specifically designated episode, that Ash was hogging screentime? Seriously? This is utter ridiculous, and bordering/surpassing shameless character bashing, not to mention spreading misinformation and misconceptions.
My only issue with Go is his unrealistically miraculous success at catching Pokémon, which flies in the face of everything the anime has shown us about catching Pokémon up until this point. And I think that's one of the reasons he is getting so much hate from viewers. Really, he is not a bad character. IMHO, he actually serves as a nice contrast to Ash. Go values quality over quantity, whereas Ash is, and always has been, the opposite: he values his bonds with his Pokémon more than the number of Pokémon he has in his roster.

The only problem I have with Koharu’s development is that we already had past characters who didn’t have much interactions with Pokémon wether it be dislike (May) or fear (Lillie). It just seems like an old plot with a new coat of paint. I appreciate them fleshing our Koharu but I want her to expand more than “oh she’s not really good at/exposed to battling”.
I think Koharu is different from May and Lillie. She doesn't dislike Pokémon, and she is not afraid of them. She is just not all that interested in them, but everyone expects her to be simply because her father is a Pokémon professor. This is a classic case of people expecting a child to follow in his/her parent's footsteps, and I actually hope they expand more on this with Koharu.

Sakuragi and Koharu don't live in the lab. They have a house they go back and forth like, you know, a normal job. That means, Ash and Go are probably the only ones living there. Maybe those two assistants too but I think it's more likely it's same case as Sakuragi. Kind of weird. Though I wouldn't doubt if we get a filler where Sakuragi gives a day off to everyone and Ash and Go are in charge of taking care of the lab. Team Rocket shenanigans happens and there's a whole mess straight of those stories where the kids have to take care of the house while the adults are away just so everything go completly wrong
I believe it was stated in one of the earliest episodes that Ash and Go are staying in the dormitory at Sakuragi's lab. We know at least one of Sakuragi's assistants doesn't live at the lab, as this episode showed her arriving to work. But this is the world of Pokémon, where 10-year-olds are considered old enough to travel the world on their own. Two 10-year-olds staying in a lab dormitory by themselves isn't weird at all. Besides, it's clear Mimey has taken on the task of doing the chores.

However, it is kind of odd that we haven't seen Go's family before now. I understand him preferring to live at the lab rather than at home, but you would think his family would have checked up on him by now.

I'm pretty sure that it's been implied a few times already in this series that Gou is more of a collector than a battler, so I don't really understand why some viewers still think that he needs to train Hibanny or any of his other Pokemon when that isn't supposed to be Gou's forte. And frankly given how much of an easy target Gou has been lately, I think that him getting stronger as a trainer would only lead to more backlash for him, regardless.
Someone else already said it, but (hopefully) eventually Go's miraculous capture rate will decline, and he will actually have to start battling the Pokémon he wants to catch. In that case, he will have to train Scorbunny and/or his other Pokémon.

Lord Starfish

Fond of owls
Someone else already said it, but (hopefully) eventually Go's miraculous capture rate will decline, and he will actually have to start battling the Pokémon he wants to catch. In that case, he will have to train Scorbunny and/or his other Pokémon.
Eventually? He wasted his entire Ball supply on a Dewgong last week and likewise could not catch Ganger this week. I'd say his miraculous capture rate is already showing signs of declining. Though of course it remains to be seen what will happen the next time they go off on an expedition somewhere...

FlygontheRavager

#1 Pokémon Anime Fan!
Eventually? He wasted his entire Ball supply on a Dewgong last week and likewise could not catch Ganger this week. I'd say his miraculous capture rate is already showing signs of declining. Though of course it remains to be seen what will happen the next time they go off on an expedition somewhere...

If the title is any indication, he'll at the very least have to battle Golurk before he catches it, so there's that.

Yuugis Black Magician

Namaikina Imouto
Pocket Monster (2019) Episode #11 is without a doubt the best episode of this series. Assigning this episode to Matsui Aya and letting her tell a story about women really makes for a killer story. I've been in Koharu's shoes before and also her mom's shoes. It's scary not knowing what you want to do with your life--that was how I felt from my teens through even now--but I'm happy that the story doesn't try to force Koharu to make a choice. Still, I like that her mom is shown to have overcome a similar hurdle in her life. This episode really puts women in positive lights and I'm so happy for that. I wish Matsui and friends had just kept going with Sun & Moon, it was such a perfect series.

thor94

wow!!! it was long since we have seen someone having normal life and job not related to pokemon, in fact the last time its happened was in the original serie two decades ago, when ash go to an ACTUAL human hospital.