• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Kotaku: The Way to Improve Pokemon Is To Make It An Entirely Different Game!

Mefista

I hate fujoshi
ಠ_ಠ
...I hope he is not serious.

Thriller

Its almost time
That article was fun to read.

They should stop making new Pokemon, I agree.

Really, is it gonna be really realistic when there are over 1000 Pokemon?

ZombifiedHorror1031

I don't especially agree with any of the points except for the one that suggests just putting the event legendaries in the game. When I got back into Pokemon with Heart Gold, I was crushed when I missed Mew because I didn't have wi-fi and could not find a compatible wi-fi hotspot in the entire city.

I have remedied this now that I have a 3DS, but there have to still be others that are in the situation I used to be. The whole event giveaway stuff is sloppy, and having these things in the game already would save a lot of annoyance.

Make them harder to get, make us fulfill some sort of requirements, but don't favor those with the best technology and the right location.

Also, an aside, this isn't the first horrendous and stupid writing I've seen from Kotaku.

Last edited:

crystalzapdos

J.J. Swatt
The thing that really annoys me is that the people in the comments agree with the guy. i bet this guy hasn't even played the game after Red and Blue.

Last edited:

DaAuraWolf

I’m Back...
Out of all the ways, Customible characters for the main games are the only idea I liked. Though the only downpoint to that is the fact that they all ready have done that. Then again Battle Revolution was more like a Stadium game though.

But hey, There is more stuff than this that we have had also. Like a playable character having a backstory. Wes in Coloseum was that one.

Other than that, It is though pretty obvious that the other is a knave to Pokemon and that he's mostly a "Call of Poopy" fanboy.

Rayquaza Master777

#1 May Fanboy
This is absolutely idiotic. Firstly, the complaint about EV's and IV's. I may never use them, but I know that to many players, they're important in building a strong team with a good strategy. Getting rid of them would force loads of people to rethink any possible strategy. Secondly, why should they quit adding new Pokemon? The mere idea of no more new Pokemon is just stupid. I mean, really. More Pokemon means not only more variety, but more possibilities for strategies and teams. Plus, there's always the thrill of encountering a Pokemon you've never seen before. Thirdly, removing breeding is something only an idiot would suggest. Plenty of Pokemon are completely useless unless bred so that they have the right moves and ability, as well as nature for some players. Not only that, it's also fun to breed Pokemon. There's the anticipation of the egg hatching, and the thrill when it finally hatches. And you can't even breed legendaries, nor do you really need to "hunt" to be able to find them, which makes me wonder if this idiot has ever even touched a Pokemon game in his life. Anyway, the "thrill of the hunt" is another thing that makes breeding so much fun. And removing breeding would have a far worse impact on the trading community than the initial introduction of it. Then, there's the issues of custom gyms. While it would be a fun concept, it seems that the negatives outweigh the positives. I mean, waiting around in your gym unable to do anything until a trainer arrives? How would you complete the National PokeDex? Also, "keep the story to a minimum?!" What, and have every aspect of the game carried out like mindless drones?! And how is Pokemon supposed to seem believable? I mean, we've got electric rats, for Pete's sake. The legendaries? If their special legends bother you, just be one of the people who believe the legends are just myths and the Pokemon are just what deities were based on. I mean, Arceus could basically be on par with, say, Odin, if it makes you feel better. A legend, but not actually necessarily true. Additionally, custom PokeBalls would be abused so that catch rates, damaging Pokemon, status conditions, and even having multiple PokeBall types would be completely pointless. Co-op element is fine, but frankly the suggestions he offers are a bit outlandish. Also, there already is an award for for catching them all. It's the diploma the Professor gives you. Finally, we already have enough background about the player character. They're a brand new trainer who receives a Pokemon and goes out on a quest to become the very best like no one ever was.

In short, hardly anything this idiot says actually is true or would make the next Pokemon game better.

randomspot555

I agree with all of his suggestions other than the 'day care' one, which im 50-50 on. Won't happen but it's nice to imagine.

Why in the world would you want to remove customizing your pokemon? Do you want every single Grotle to have the exact same stats as every other Grotle in the world?

This isn't a bad idea. The reward shouldn't be "super awesome," but there should be some kind of reward for catching every Pokemon in the game.

Currently, it's a badge/star/whatever on your Trainer Card. It's equivalent to the other tedius tasks, such as 100+ Tower/Frontier/Subway streaks and other ridiculous crap.

Really, I'm not a fan of Pokedex reward because it isn't so much about skill in completeing your dex, but more about having the huge amount of time to do it.

2. EV's and IVs aren't entirely bad, but I understand to a level. It is more tedious to work up than it really needed to be and does make the transition from casual to competetive more intimidating. I don't think it should be outright discarded, but it could go through a SLIGHTLY more friendly remake to encourage people to work more into it.

Ignore the "competitive aspects" of it. The point of EVs, IVs, and nature is so two Pokemon, even if they're the same species at the same level, will likely have different stats and thus have different styles of battling. It's to make true the point that NPCs repeatedly say throughout the game: "Pokemon trained by Trainers are stronger than those found in the wild!"

I don't especially agree with any of the points except for the one that suggests just putting the event legendaries in the game. When I got back into Pokemon with Heart Gold, I was crushed when I missed Mew because I didn't have wi-fi and could not find a compatible wi-fi hotspot in the entire city.

Mew is pretty easy to get if you really want it. Get D/P, fill up your Ranch, get a Mew. And it always seems to get 1-2 events per generation.

SuperEpicRock

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Pretty much this. I'm not going to write a personal reaction to all ten, but the writer of this clearly shows that he doesn't realize the target market of pokemon is kids. Of course there are going to add more pokes, kids always want more new stuff. Your own gym? customization? Wayyy to much for the average kid who just wants to get his starter and kick some butt. EV, IVs, and breeding are just fine, you don't have to use them if you don't want to, and they make the game appealing to more players.

There, I wrote more than I really wanted to, but hopefully I got my point across of how silly that "analysis" was.

SilentOmen

Shadow of Prophecy
Ignore the "competitive aspects" of it. The point of EVs, IVs, and nature is so two Pokemon, even if they're the same species at the same level, will likely have different stats and thus have different styles of battling. It's to make true the point that NPCs repeatedly say throughout the game: "Pokemon trained by Trainers are stronger than those found in the wild!"

Okay, I'm going to say that I'm not too worked up, but I don't ignore competetive (I am competetive). I'm also not slamming EVs and IVs at all. They have plenty of value and I think I would encourage re-reading what I said in what appears to be the only point you had any debate of.

What everyone in here is doing (and I find it disheartening) is that so many people are being so outraged over one opinion of a person when we ALL have expectations / wish lists with the games. Heaven forbid I do attempt to show some level of understanding of an individual with a divergent view point from my own.

EVs and IVs are pretty complicated for a lot of people. To some level, they could be toned down a little bit to make them just a little less difficult to understand / accomplish. Simple examples of making the task a little less devious would be more centralized areas where it's more optimal to raise certain stats. In Gen V, the special stats aren't as easy to raise in comparison and can be tedious to do. If you disagree with this sentiment, that's fine.

Don't make the mistake of assuming your viewpoint is the only valid and tried and true means to make the game better.

Gelatino95

Not a tool
I think Game Freak has been making these games for quite a while. They've probably fixed everything they have to by now.

ZombifiedHorror1031

Mew is pretty easy to get if you really want it. Get D/P, fill up your Ranch, get a Mew. And it always seems to get 1-2 events per generation.
This would require me to downgrade my wi-fi as well, because D/P require WEP. And filling the ranch up with 999 would mean doing that either for an extended period or on numerous occasions.

I'll just hope that it will see a release again soon, I guess.

But I digress, I'm leading things off-topic. As you were, guys. :3

Nessea

Johto trainer
This dude sounds like he wants it to be less challenging. Its supposed to be hard and tedious thats what makes it interesting. The only thing i would change is to give 2 more slots of saved games for a total of three so that you and maybe ur sibling could play. Instead of he or she accidently resetting the game. Really, get rid of breeding? What's up with that?

Asbestospoison

Excellent Driver
Ok, either this guy has never played a Pokemon game (or at least not since R/B/Y), or is REALLY bad at satire or comedy or w/e. Either way, those ideas suck.

CuriousHeartless

That article was fun to read.

Yes, yes it would. There are over 1,000 mammals, let alone animals in general. It would be totally realistic for there to be over 10,000 Pokemon even, because there are tons of creatures and things in our world too.

Anyways, this guy was an idiot. I don't even find customisable characters that good of an idea, it would just be a waste of memory and there would either be very little or a lot of things that are pretty much just a pixel different. The characters are just too small to make it worthwhile to me.

kaiser soze

Reading ADWD
So yeah, these ideas suck and/or are unrealistic for the most part. And I agree; I don't think he's played any of the games after GSC. Which makes me wonder why he got to write it...

1) Customizable characters: Problem with this is that the playable trainers are also present in other Pokemon media (Manga/Anime). At best, maybe eventually you can customize a "multiplayer" avatar (or use a Mii).

2) Remove EVs/IVs: Problem with this is EVs and IVs were in EVERY pokemon game, but back in the 90s no one knew/cared about it.

3) No new pokemon: it's pretty clear GF is going to keep adding at least some new pokemon every generation (probably not 150+ again, but you know). But at least there's a few years until the next (presumable) generation. Accept it or move on.

4) Remove breeding: it's kinda hard to remove a feature like that, especially with details like the Masuda Method and egg moves.

5) "Custom gyms": Maybe as some sort of multiplayer feature, but this idea isn't thought out well enough.

6) Minimize the storyline: This one I'm closest to agreeing with. I know some people like the whole new storylines, but I play for the battles/challenges and don't want my games getting political on me. All pokemon games have essentially the same storyline anyway.

7) Customized pokemon: Platinum had this with stickers for pokeballs.

8) "Co-op:" Secret bases anyone? Proof ed didn't play anything beyond GSC. GF has also bee expanding on "multiplayer" options with the Dream World and Random Matchups.

9) More rewards for pokedex completion: a) It's actually easier to finish the pokedex than in the 90s thanks to wi-fi trading b) I could see them potentially adding a few "trophies" for finishing certain fractions, but I don't see how this makes someone on the fence buy it.

10) Less backstory: I think this is a feature of most games...

Zachmac

the more extraordinary you get, the less "magic" it has.
What the heck? I can't take someone seriously after they say that.

Seeing how popular pokemon is anyway, I seriously doubt that that they will actually listen. They won't want to risk messing up something that got them so much money anyway.

Dr. Leggs

Astral Cowboy

What's gonna make it any more unrealistic than it is now? 1000+ supernatural creatures as opposed to 649 supernatural creatures?

rocky505

Oh he thinks 600+ is bad but look at us in the real world with 1000s of creatures. I disagree with everything he said including the customizable character nonsense.