• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Kotaku: The Way to Improve Pokemon Is To Make It An Entirely Different Game!

The Good Times

[] lVlãrç []
I somewhat understand his opinion towards IV's, as without the use of RNG'ing the chances of getting a flawless from an egg are horrifying (even with the use of a power item)

Don't get me wrong though, this doesn't mean I want to remove EV's/IV's. Something like that would just majorly harm the competitive side of Pokemon.

I believed the power items ability to pass down a certain IV when breeding a step in the right direction, but what if by some way we could pass down multiple IV's?

This would make breeding for a flawless much more bearable as we could breed for a 31 on 1 stat(which has a much better chance) then after a 31 is bred, have a way to auto pass it down (such as power items) then continue working on a new stat until it is 31, at which point we could pass down the two 31's we have achieved from breeding and continue the process until we get our flawless poke.

This could also help soothe over these RNG/Anti-RNG arguments I've seen during my short time on these forums, as one could obtain their own flawless without the use of RNG'ing in maybe about two hours or less.

randomspot555

No part of the core game requires you to have a flawless Pokemon. If you want to put the effort into getting a flawless Pokemon or a Pokemon with a certain Hidden Power or whatever, there are methods available but they require time and effort. If you don't want to commit to that, then you don't have to do it.

The Good Times

[] lVlãrç []
No part of the core game requires you to have a flawless Pokemon. If you want to put the effort into getting a flawless Pokemon or a Pokemon with a certain Hidden Power or whatever, there are methods available but they require time and effort. If you don't want to commit to that, then you don't have to do it.

You miss my point entirely.

The chance of breeding a flawless, AT BEST, is 5/32^5.

Assuming you somehow manage to hatch 120 eggs per hour, you'd still find that it would near impossible to obtain a flawless without RNG'ing. These calculations also completely ignore Hidden Power, as it's not even needed to prove that breeding a flawless requires way too much time to make it a plausible way. This is why RNG'ing is so attractive.

Last edited:

ConfusedEevee

Time Gear Thief
What makes the Pokemon games great is the fact that they're not simple. Simple works for Iphone games, not massive JRPG's.

Ya know what? your completely right. This has changed my opinion because I hate all of those simple i-phone games.

So is there a reason you want Pokemon to have less differences and variables? What would even be the point of breeding Pokemon outside of egg moves (which not all Pokemon get) if you don't have some limited control over customizing your Pokemon with certain IVs and stuff?

Don't you think it's cool that not every single Grotle has the exact same stats? I do!

To be honest I wouldn't mind if every grotle was the same, because what if a get a tirtwig with a hindering nature in a playthrough, then I'm sort of screwed.

But you guys are right. TO EVERYONE WHO THINKS EV's AND IV's SHOULD BE REMOVED: i understand your opinion, but it cant' happen because then pokemon wouldn't be pokemon, it would be something else, and way too easy. Thanks simipour and everyone else for helping me realize this.

Ansem1013

4768-7457-8661
You miss my point entirely.

The chance of breeding a flawless, AT BEST, is 5/32^5.

Assuming you somehow manage to hatch 120 eggs per hour, you'd still find that it would near impossible to obtain a flawless without RNG'ing. These calculations also completely ignore Hidden Power, as it's not even needed to prove that breeding a flawless requires way too much time to make it a plausible way. This is why RNG'ing is so attractive.

I don't believe GF intended flawless pokemon to be all that plausible in the first place.

Psypert

when someone hates EV training it basically says (I'm too lazy to do this I'll just level up my pokemon as it is) -.- the only good idea is the trainer customization all the other ideas are retarded

ConfusedEevee

Time Gear Thief
when someone hates EV training it basically says (I'm too lazy to do this I'll just level up my pokemon as it is) -.- the only good idea is the trainer customization all the other ideas are retarded

I'm not too lazy. I have 2 EV trained teams, but they dont seem to be good enough to win on random matchup :( It also eats up too much free time.

Ansem1013

4768-7457-8661
I'm not too lazy. I have 2 EV trained teams, but they dont seem to be good enough to win on random matchup :( It also eats up too much free time.
just because the teams are EV trained does mean that they are good or unbeatable

and video games should have longevity

ConfusedEevee

Time Gear Thief
just because the teams are EV trained does mean that they are good or unbeatable

and video games should have longevity

I learned that the hard way -_-

The Good Times

[] lVlãrç []
I don't believe GF intended flawless pokemon to be all that plausible in the first place.

Honestly, I agree with you. However, since a RNG'er can get a flawless in an hour or faster, I think they should at atleast implement a system where one can actually breed a flawless without the use of a 3rd party program.

Also, I'd really like customizable sprites.
It might not be much, but hey it's the little things that count.

This sounds horrible, right?

It's Kotaku. Of course it is.

Do you think this guy has ever played a Pokemon game, ever?

It's Kotaku. Of course he hasn't.

Really, has he ever actually played a Pokemon game?

I'd like to make fun of you for repeating this, but it is Kotaku.

Seriously, we don't even need to have this discussion.

I personally find EV/IV stuff hard to keep track of, but instead I don't play competitively, because you don't really need to know those inside and out to play the core games. Particularly if you've played one or two before.

The idea to customize trainers is good, but I don't know how well (or otherwise) it could be implemented. Those sorts of things, in my experience, always leave something out. And it's always the thing you want to putz around with most.

ConfusedEevee

Time Gear Thief
my advice:
try pokemon online to test what pokemon are good for you b4 you continue breeding/EV training on your game(s)

actually I've been looking for a way to join that. Could you please explain that to me through pm's or vm's and send me a link. thanks :D

EDIT: I think that this guy is your everyday purist who got a job at kotaku. He might have played gen 1, but stopped after that.

Last edited:

7 tyranitars

Kotaku posted an article titled "10 ways to Make Pokemon Super awesome" or something like that.

In it, they suggest adding a Gym Leader element where you become a Gym Leader and...sit there and wait for challengers, and sometimes fight people? I don't know.

They also propose getting rid of EVs and IVs altogether. I guess there's too much variety in Pokemon for Kotaku, and they want every Pokemon of the same species to have the exact same stats....

Wait, this sounds pretty horrible.

It gets worse.

The writer of the article goes on to advocate for removing breeding, complaining about "scarcity" or some such and that throwing off the "trade community" rarity and "value" of Pokemon.

And then they go on to say "too much story" , even though Pokemon (and a LOT of video games) have fairly paper thin plots as it is...

Oh, and the writer wants a co-op...because Pokemon is really, really hard, guys.

what?

And then they want some super awesome reward for "Catching them all", even though that's never been a main goal of an actual Pokemon game since the beginning of time.

The only non-horrible suggestion is a customasizeable trainer sprite. But considering how small your trainer sprite is for most of the game, it'd barely be noticeable.

So discuss the following:

1. This sounds horrible, right?
  2. Do you think this guy has ever played a Pokemon game, ever?
  3. Really, has he ever actually played a Pokemon game?

While I am not a big fan of the Ev/iv Abuse, it is way better to have not 100% then all pokemons the same stats -.-

No breeding like wtf?

Quit adding new pokemon.. ah now I understand this is a nostalgia-junkie. Who probably didn't go further then Gen 1 and perhaps pokemon gold.

I do like the costumize charracter option, and the gym leader idea looks nice.

But besides this is just utter crap.

So yes this sounds horrible,

And he might have played the game but is very young and doesn't understand the concept of it yet. Otherwise I doubt it.

Zazie

So 1991
Wow a decent topic in general pokemon discussion? Thanks Randomspot!

Anyway. I think the article does raise a few interesting ideas like the gym creation or co-op stuff. Thaose interesing ideas probably are easier said than done however, and would be difficult to actually implements.

Some of the other stuff like no more new pokemon or breeding are so ****ing stupid, that I can't really take this article seriously.

The only good idea in there is less story, but they could just make dialogue easier to skip through. Pokemon games are starting to get a little too dialogue heavy. I really got irritated when playing through Pokemon Black from all the text I had to scroll through related to some plot I don't care about. Newer games take so much longer before they give you freedom as well.

I am pretty critical of the pokemon games (though I want to add I still enjoy them), but I would prefer changes that enhance the experience we already have rather than pointless stuff that doesn't do anything worthwhile or sets the games back.

Last edited:

Kaiserin

please wake up...
That entire article was spoken like a true nostalgia-dumbshit who thinks mashing up games of other genres, or otherwise removing some basic bread-and-butter concepts of Pokemon that -- shock and horror -- people actually do use and enjoy, will make the games "better".

Don't fix what isn't broken. If there's anything broken about Pokemon, the things he mentioned aren't it.

Some of the other stuff like no more new pokemon or breeding are so ****ing stupid, that I can't really take this article seriously.

It is pretty impossible to complete the Pokedex right now, and you are pushed pretty hard to do that by certain NPCs in the game. I can understand why someone would want that to ease off. But.

The only good idea in there is less story, but they could just make dialogue easier to skip through. Pokemon games are starting to get a little too dialogue heavy. I really got irritated when playing through Pokemon Black from all the text I had to scroll through related to some plot I don't care about. Newer games take so much longer before they give you freedom as well.

This. The story isn't even all that interesting. I mean, I can accept a little framing, but we got on fine with what Red/Blue had. It doesn't need to be some kind of high-caliber epic.

randomspot555

It is pretty impossible to complete the Pokedex right now, and you are pushed pretty hard to do that by certain NPCs in the game. I can understand why someone would want that to ease off. But.

You're pushed to complete the regional dex, and since Gen 4, that has only meant "seeing" every Pokemon, which can be done by fighting every trainer.

Honestly, it was harder completing the dex in Gen I with no Wi-Fi and only link cable trading and an extremely limited event distribution. And with no breeding, it meant no one wanted to give up their starter.

You're pushed to complete the regional dex, and since Gen 4, that has only meant "seeing" every Pokemon, which can be done by fighting every trainer.

Not in Gen 5, it can't (it's also not required to get the National Dex, if I recall, so at least there's that). And even then, there always seems to be a partial push toward "YOU SHOULD FINISH THE REST TOO" which isn't as big, but still seems extant.

Honestly, it was harder completing the dex in Gen I with no Wi-Fi and only link cable trading and an extremely limited event distribution. And with no breeding, it meant no one wanted to give up their starter.

First-gen it was a problem, yes, because of no breeding -- somewhat alleviated by just trading pokemon back and forth. Second-gen onward, though, not so much, unless it was that hard to find people with Pokemon games.

jireh the provider

Video Game Designer
fifthgrader.jpg

smarter-than-5th-grader.jpg

No one's smarter than a 5th grader. In fact, most people can't even get the 4th grade questions right. xD

All joking aside, this guy reminds me of myself when I hated Smogon. Not getting enough information, little to no experience, unawareness of the stuff he's criticizing... now that's why SpeedSuicune called me a b*tch.

Sure, EVs and IVs are quite annoying to many people, but as people have said they do make Pokemon unique, I guess. No one's forcing this guy to EV train/IV breed or anything. I don't do any of that and I still enjoy Pokemon all the same; this guy can too.

As to his other ideas... the only idea that isn't "pfft" is customizable trainers, but that won't make much of a difference to me. The overworld sprites are too small for that. :p Other than that, seriously, less Pokemon? Look at how many species of animals on this Earth. To me, there should be more Pokemon.

To the bad viewer of pokemon's fame(he one who wanted to wreck its gem)

Are you smarter than a 5th grader?
Grab your yourselves another piece of paper.
And now that you are back in school
But are you smart enough for the 5th grade.

okay enough of the song. but I do love that show, seeing some adults think that they are smart. only to get owned by a 5th grader. Mwahaha.

Back on topic. I agree at all. He may have joined ones on that sow and lost all of his money after losing the 1st grade question.