• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Kotaku: The Way to Improve Pokemon Is To Make It An Entirely Different Game!

Co-op would be awesome, the others not so much

The Benmeister

Master of Magnet
Only the customisable trainers and the co-op element sound any good.

Funny how several things he suggests are just the removal of game elements, and pretty key ones as well if you're breeding and training competitively, or even just for your own benefit. The main problem there being that he doesn't have to breed, or EV train if he doesn't want to! How is more variety a bad thing?

Seems like he's gearing towards the casual gamer rather than the devoted fan, and to be honest that still wouldn't work.

Actually, i think the idea of customizable sprites is an awesome one, thats something ive wished for for a long time. Everything else i mostly disagree with, but the above idea is a great one.

Shockking

i dont know anymore
That was the Stupiddouche-Mcdumbest article I have ever read. That guy is so dumb I don't even know what to say. He thinks every one agrees, he is completely off. Like.... I seriously I have no idea what to say. Basically the only okay idea was character customization but that wasn't that great, I like playing as another person, my other me, but I don't feel the need to customize the character. Wow, that was horrible. I honestly think I lost some IQ points reading that.

AmusedMilk

Oh, hey, Big Zam!
This guy is acting like he's speaking for the people when he's really just speaking for himself. Boy sit your AS* down!

Agreed. He thinks he's so important...

sharkdude5

Master of Chaos
Remove EV's? MADNESS!! I love the EV system. It's what makes my Espeon's stat's different from all of the other Espeon's. To have all pokemon of the same species have the same stat's would be boring.

Whimsicotton

Importing a house from Animal Crossing...? This guy is... Eh... o-0

I like the idea of having something to customize but we had that with secret bases. I don't like the idea of having a gym so much; THAT makes Pokemon more like work than EV/IVs do.

Breeding does not rob us of the thrill of the hunt. At all. In fact, there are many pokemon that can ONLY be obtained through breeding, which gives us more of a reason to go out, catch a Mr. Mime or whatever, go find the incense, etc. etc.

I'm sure there are other players who still like to battle casually (I.e. me) they just need to look around to find them. Not everyone wants to do competitive online battling; that's a personal decision. Removing EV's from the game is a stupid thing. It doesn't make it a chore; for some people it makes it more fun.

Really the only good idea I saw there was the idea of some sort of co-op element though his suggestions for it weren't so good.

Michelob

I became dumber reading that article. The only worthwhile suggestion in my opinion was the customized character. To answer the OP, I don't think he has played pokemon ever since the inception of wi-fi trades/battles.

Also, the comments in response to EV training on that article were funny as well. In all honesty, it takes like 30-60 minutes to EV train a pokemon if you know what you're doing. How does playing a game for 30-60 minutes to completely EV train a pokemon feel like some horrible chore? Especially seeing as EV training is an option, not a necessity.

Last edited:

Aggrotek

Shine for me!
The only things I agree with are the customization options and the gym idea. I never understood why, after you beat the elite 4, you couldn't sit at the top as the champion and own all the new kids trying to challenge the E4. Removing breeding and EVs and IVs is an awful idea.

Calamity™

aka Lamia
I'm not sure many people on a Pokémon forum will agree with a complete change to Pokémon. If they want to make it a new game, and completely remove the competitive aspect to it, the games would only appeal to young kids. I don't see how any other age group could keep interest, especially those who play Pokémon for the nostalgic factor.

schumaga

Of course he played them... The large majority of Pokemon players don't do competitive battling, he´s just one of them. I for one think that EV's and IV's are very important and play a major role in differentiating a pokemon trained with precision and patience of the others. However, it can get a little frustating, mainly if you want to use any of the pokemon you used on the main adventure for online battling. There should be a simple way to redistribute or reset the EV's after they are maxed out.

voicerocker

Platinum Master
These suggestions would totally change the Pokemon franchise for the worst. Most of these ideas don't make any sense at all.

1) Character customization - This worked in Battle Revolution because we could see are character in full 3D detail throughout the battles. However, customization for a tiny sprite that would be very difficult to even notice? Not needed. Also, a facial hair option?! Most Pokemon heroes are only 10 years old, and even in Black and White they're only supposed to be around 12! (I think...)

2) EV and IV - This is what makes each Pokemon unique. If every Pikachu knew they same moves and had the same stats, the battles would be pretty much decided before they even began because your opponent's moves would be easy to predict. I personally don't EV train my Pokemon, but I think getting rid of it would take all the fun away from training them.

3) No more Pokemon - Why not? There are countless animals on this Earth, with some just waiting to be discovered. (even more if you count plant life). There's no reason that the number of Pokemon should be limited. Also, at this point in time, there is no need for an "Anniversary Edition" because we already have FireRed/LeafGreen and HeartGold/SoulSilver. Why would GameFreak keep remaking the same games over and over and over again? I can see a remake of the original Red & Blue/Green possibly happening again in the future, but not anytime soon.

4) Remove Breeding - Same as the EV and IV issue, removing it removes the tactical aspect of the game.

5) Custom Gyms - Why? Gym Leader is a lesser title than Champion, and even more so than Pokemon Master. Why aim for a lesser goal? And simply running a Gym would not offer any form of story. How would you advance in a game from this? While the idea is interesting, I feel that it sounds better than it actually would be, in a "too good to be true" sort of way.

6) Less story - This is the first case I've seen of some complaining about TOO MUCH story. Most story-based complaints I've seen are that they don't have ENOUGH story! Black and White had the best storyline in my opinion, and every new Generation seems to be better than the last. And saying that Pokemon should be more "realistic" is just plain odd. Pokemon has never been, nor will it ever be realistic.

7) Custom PokeBalls - This has been done, but how would it make a real difference anyway? There's no practical use for changing the appearance of PokeBalls.

8) Co-Op - Again, has been done, but there is no need for it to be necessary in completing the story. Also, trading can be seen as Co-Op in a way.

9) "Caught 'em All" Reward - Catching all the Pokemon IS the reward. You get some kind of special notification for doing it, but the real reward is having data on ALL the Pokemon, which is the goal the Prof. gives you at the beginning of your journey anyway.

10) No Backstory - There was a backstory? The backstory for our characters is that they are beginning trainers that agree to help the Prof. study Pokemon. That's it. There story builds from there. Rival development? Remember that "we" are the character in the game, not ourselves. Our rival is who our character sees as a rival, not who WE see as a rival.

Overall, none of these ideas would have a positive affect on the games. Most of them are awful ideas.

crystalzapdos

J.J. Swatt
The only things I agree with are the customization options and the gym idea. I never understood why, after you beat the elite 4, you couldn't sit at the top as the champion and own all the new kids trying to challenge the E4. Removing breeding and EVs and IVs is an awful idea.

Yes, wouldn't it be exciting if we just stood there waiting for someone to challenge us. Really, it would just be like the never ending Battle Tower.

randomspot555

Of course he played them... The large majority of Pokemon players don't do competitive battling,

Which is irrelevant, because EVs and IVs serve a very important in-game purpose.

However, it can get a little frustating, mainly if you want to use any of the pokemon you used on the main adventure for online battling. There should be a simple way to redistribute or reset the EV's after they are maxed out.

There is a way to redistribute. EV reducing berries.

As for what someone uses on online battling, you can't expect an amateur to beat an expert. That's like a high school basketball player going up against Michael Jordan. If you want to use your in-game Pokemon, you should probably find people of similar skill levels.

GalladeX

10. Don't tell us who we are. The more back-story you add to our character, the more bogged-down it feels. Just say we're students of some kind who were relocated to aid our game's Professor with some research. Let us develop our Rival naturally, like in the Silver/Gold games. Similarly, rather than purchasing a "Red" or "Blue" version, why not tie the Pokémon that appear to who your starter Pokémon is?

I don't even get this guy.
His idea- students of "some kind" who are aiding the Professor, is more backstory than we get already. That's the point of the series. The most backstory we ever got was either RSE (which gave you a hometown, oh snap) or the Ranger games, specifically Guardian Signs (making you a Ranger already.) Even then, the most we usually get is a mom and a hometown...
The rivals do develop naturally, and Black and White is a good example of this.
And I don't even get the last part. Or the rest of the article. Or his reasoning.

Ugh.

Serperior is King

I think the gym leader idea would be good, instead of waiting there ingame, do what they did in R/S/E and have a gym like the secret bases where you'd share data with another player, so they could challenge you once a day or something. You could buy your own traps and make customisable trainers so they won't just have to battle you. Defeating a number of your friends gym's (maybe, let's say, 8) would get you another star on the trainer card. This would only be able to be done after you defeat the Champion, though.

Subzero13

Should at least expande the franchise. IMHO Pokemon should go viral, all online. Where the trainers you battle to build up for gyms should be other people from around the world. Like a giant poke mmo. There's a lot to be worked out, but this to me would be the way to go. Also have every Pokemon available to catch/battle. That would make things very interesting. Like I said there is a lot to be worked out, but to walk around a massive Pokemon world would be legit. Idk it's all fun and games! That's just my opinion.

Epouvantail

the taste
Wow... I don't think I can voice my true opinion on this individual without breaking a few rules, so I won't. But seriously? Remove breeding because it subtracts from the rarity of Pokemon? I'm guessing he's also against polar bears breeding for the same reason. But really, he probably should've done a bit of research on the trading community before raising that point.