• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Kukui Up Against the Wall! A Second Masked Royal!! (1035)

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
Well yeah. But at least Faba knew one of its attacks, Darkest Lariat, which most likely stemmed from being a Masked Royal fan. And I would be sure that he’s never commanded an Incineroar before.
You're right. I also think the writers didn't want to put deeper relationship with Incineroar & Faba, because the latter not being in the main cast & the audience probably won't cheer at him for being a former villain.

DatsRight

and Unlike with Pikachu who had time to bond with Lillie. Incineroar see's Faba as a guy who came out of nowhere and neither no each other. There is no connection!

Also remember that Pikachu was still losing until Lillie got back in the game and started commanding him more competently.

Zhydra

Master of Chaos!
Also remember that Pikachu was still losing until Lillie got back in the game and started commanding him more competently.

Yeah, that episode was all about Lillie getting to know Pikachu and learning to be his partner.

You're right. I also think the writers didn't want to put deeper relationship with Incineroar & Faba, because the latter not being in the main cast & the audience probably won't cheer at him for being a former villain.

That and Faba was in over his head if he thought he would get anywhere with Incineroar for stated reasons.

Twilight-Kun

Pokemon World Champion
Kukui almost got to meet Masked Royal, but once again events transpire to keep them apart

One day, Kukui, one day...

tumblr_pglh65pIAe1wyyr65o1_1280.jpg

MAMA
JUST KILLED A MAN
PUT A CAT UPON HIS HEAD
BODY SLAMMED HIM NOW HE'S DEAD

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Eventually, the running gag with every Masked Royal episode must come to an end (you can guess how the next one will be handled). Without anyone ever finding out his identity, of course. Kukui's secret identity isn't as expendable as, say, Clemont's weird super hero dad.

Last edited:

ash&charizardfan

Humans are tools
Lol, burnet is actually cheating kukui with kukui.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Also I believe that the audience didn’t cheer as loudly for Faba being the Masked Royal over Kukui could be because Faba looked skimpy and wasn’t as energetic.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Sauboh's scenes were such a letdown, yet I should've expected it given how he's a joke in the SM anime compared to the games where he's slightly competent.

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
This episode was actually funnier than I thought it would be. It had a few hilarious fanboy/fangirl moments that made me laugh:

• Professor Burnet fangirling over the Masked Royal throughout the entire episode was kind of adorable, as well as the fact that she got so nervous about meeting him and shaking his hand that her heart kept racing. There's something oddly charming about seeing a grown woman, especially one who is normally so professional, go completely gaga like a lovestruck teenager.
  • Faba and James's initially unpleasant meeting turning into their bonding over their mutual love of the Masked Royal was actually rather entertaining. (Though I do want to know when James had the time to learn so much detail about the Masked Royal's new mask—right down to the length of the horns and the elasticity of the mask.)
I thought Professor Kukui would actually end up revealing himself as the Masked Royal, but Molayne stepped in at the last second and saved him. I'm not disappointed that the public didn't find out that Professor Kukui is the Masked Royal, but I am a little disappointed that Professor Burnet didn't learn the truth. You would think after all that fangirling she did, Professor Kukui would want to tell her that her idol is also her husband. However, my little bit of disappointment at that was not enough to spoil my enjoyment of this episode overall.

Faba's disguising himself as the Masked Royal felt a little forced, but the reactions it got were worth it—especially Incineroar's reaction. At least nobody was fooled. I was actually a little worried people would fall for that disguise, because that would be rather typical of Pokémon.

I actually don't find it all that weird that Incineroar didn't battle so well under Faba's command. One major theme of the Pokémon anime has always been the importance of the bond between a Pokémon and its Trainer, and this just goes to show how important that bond is and how much it can affect a Pokémon's performance, even when the Pokémon in question is incredibly powerful. Incineroar has no bond at all with Faba; the two of them are not at all in sync with each other.

I've just finished this morning's dub of this episode, and it was pretty good! The voice acting in this episode surprised me. To me, it sounded pretty natural, which I really appreciated.

James and Faba were hilarious. I love that Faba recognized him despite not being in his Team Rocket outfit, and I appreciated the follow-up on Faba recently learning the Masked Royal's identity. Overall, they were really funny together.

I will admit that I wanted more from Torracat in this episode. I of course appreciated the continuity of its rivalry with Incineroar, but I wish it could have contributed more.

Burnet is so precious. I wish we got more of her in this series.

Overall, a fun, solid episode. I loved Molayne's involvement and his aid with Magneton in the end. Hopefully we see more of him in the future!

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
This is still Ultra Adventures, so I think it's in the wrong section.

Why is he fine with telling so many people except his wife?

Molayne’s skin is not dark enough for this disguise to work

All sorts of simultaneous chaos was hilarious as Mad Magmar showed up at the same time Faba and James attacked Molayne.

And then Kukui thought it was Molayne not Faba behind the mask. Haha

HOW DOES SHE NOT RECOGNIZE WHAT HER OWN HUSBAND’S HAND FEELS LIKE

Lord Starfish

Fond of owls
Why is he fine with telling so many people except his wife?

Molayne’s skin is not dark enough for this disguise to work

HOW DOES SHE NOT RECOGNIZE WHAT HER OWN HUSBAND’S HAND FEELS LIKE
All of these things can be explained so easily:

"Because it's funny."

Ryu Taylor

Unwavering beliefs. Richter Taylor is my name now.
I'll say it as much as I need to: though he's a far more bearable character than a certain not-at-all-redeemed purple unicorn, Faba's definitely not all that redeemed himself. Can't stand the guy, even despite Daniel J. Edwards' great performance.

Yeah, wrestlers break rules all the time, but laws, too??

Nice touch cheapening the music for the fake Masked Royal's entrance. Reminds me of how Pokemon Colosseum did that for the Mirakle B. fight. Plus, it was nice to hear the training montage theme return when Masked Royal was being cheered for.

This was a fun one and a good ending to Ultra Adventures.

Vipsoccermaster

As @Ryu Taylor says, it is indeed a fun episode to end off Ultra Adventures. Hilarious moments, too. Professor Burnet fan-girling her own husband (but not realizing it) was funny as well.

James and Faba...they're weird. But nice to have their share of decent screen time, especially with James, as he isn't with Jessie and Meowth all that much.

A bit of a downside that none of the classmates or their Pokémon appeared outside of the opening and ending to end off the season. You'd think Sophocles would at least appear since Molayne appeared as well, but that didn't happen.

Clearly neither Lana nor Sophocles are true Masked Royal fans since they didn't appear here and said that they were back in SM81.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
I actually really liked this episode. Probably one of my favorite in Alola so far. It was just fun. James and Faba was probably the best part of the entire episode. Those two really worked well together. Never really enjoyed Faba too much in the past, but this episode might have changed my mind on him.

Serious question though, how does Kukui feel about his wife gushing over someone who she think isn't him so much? It's all harmless in the end, but still, she's essentially a married woman with a crush on another man.

Twilight-Kun

Pokemon World Champion
I actually really liked this episode. Probably one of my favorite in Alola so far. It was just fun. James and Faba was probably the best part of the entire episode. Those two really worked well together. Never really enjoyed Faba too much in the past, but this episode might have changed my mind on him.

Serious question though, how does Kukui feel about his wife gushing over someone who she think isn't him so much? It's all harmless in the end, but still, she's essentially a married woman with a crush on another man.
Tell that to the millions of married women who ogle famous male actors, or men drooling over the female equivalent

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Tell that to the millions of married women who ogle famous male actors, or men drooling over the female equivalent

And don't those people's significant others tend to get jealous?

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
her openly stating that she loved her Husband was amazing

low bar

I like it besides Pikarla (and that was a minor gripe)

I have to wonder how she won fave SM COTD with all of y'all openly shitting on her

Too bad Kukui can't reveal his alter ego yet, as they probably going to extend the whole Masked Royal plot later again.

I wonder whether it'll be like the Blaziken mask reveal which was beyond underwhelming, no one was surprised (for some reason), and took place at the very end of an episode that had had little to nothing to do with just Blaziken mask.

I was actually a little worried people would fall for that disguise, because that would be rather typical of Pokémon.

Don't worry. They are not adults in the universe of A Series of Unfortunate Events.

And don't those people's significant others tend to get jealous?

Unless you're A-Rod and J Lo, it's generally known to all involved that the person you're with is not the most attractive person in the world. Your significant other will definitely know you find others of their gender to be more physically attractive, and that physical looks are not the only thing that matters.

Soaring Pikachu

Cool Trainer
I thought this was a pretty funny episode. For some reason it reminded me of Sailor moon and how no one could ever see through her secret identity even though she looked almost the same.