1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Kyoto Animation Arson Attack

Discussion in 'Alternate Animé & Manga Discussion' started by Kutie Pie, Jul 18, 2019.

1. Kutie Pie

Kutie Pie "It is my destiny."

345ash-greninja and wolf jani like this.
  2. WishIhadaManafi5

WishIhadaManafi5 Still miss you, Lorne. Staff Member Moderator

Condolences to all those affected by this tragedy. :(

3. wolf jani

wolf jani The vice-commander of Mimawarigumi

WHATT??? NOO! KYOANI IS MY FAVORITE STUDIO! :eek::(:(. Condolences to all affected and rest in peace to everyone who died

To honor Kyoani. I've decided to rewatch all of my favorite anime made by them. & Then watch anime made by them that I wasn't previously interested in.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
  4. 345ash-greninja

345ash-greninja Ruler Of Sindria

Condolences to everyone who died, really terrifying news this. :(

5. Akkipeddi

Akkipeddi Your next line is...

Truly awful news. Condolences to everyone affected by this tragedy.

6. WishIhadaManafi5

It's up to 33 dead and 36 injured now. :(

https://www.polygon.com/2019/7/18/20699268/kyoto-animation-fire-arson

Source: polygon

I'm planning on watching some of their work too.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
  7. Kutie Pie

8. WishIhadaManafi5

9. Kutie Pie

I don't think they've identified all 33 victims, and even so, some of the injured have some nasty burns and may end up succumbing to them. A few people are even speculating we'll get a few suicides from this, and this may close down Kyoto Animation (there's talk Free has been put on indefinite hiatus). It's just awful all around.

Want some nightmare fuel?
    [​IMG]

This is a diagram of where they found the bodies. The third floor was a literal pile-up because the door that leads to the rooftop was specifically installed to be opened only on the outside as a suicide preventive. :(

https://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20190718-07181357-nksports-soci
    There's confirmation the suspect wasn't an employee, and he was a NEET. Still no word on what the man's motive was, but from the theories going around right now, it's the most senseless reason behind his "justification" of murdering innocents.

10. R0shan

R0shan Arcaknight

We discover new breakthroughs in human medicine every year. Within twenty years, we may send an individual 34 million miles away to Mars. We consider ourselves a species greater than any other on this earth. And yet, we are also capable of the basest cruelty and violence, which makes us even lower than any other species because we should have the foresight and knowledge to be above that. What a needless horrific tragedy, RIP.

11. WishIhadaManafi5

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
  12. Poke Trainer J

Poke Trainer J Well-Known Member

#HelpKyoAniHeal
    Kyoto Animation Arson Suspect told Police his Work had been Plagiarized

On the morning of July 18th, 2019, an arson attack was carried out at Kyoto Animation's 1st Studio which resulted in 34 deaths, 35 individuals injured, and destroyed all materials and computers in Studio 1. It is one of the deadliest massacres in Japanese history since the end of World War II and the deadliest building fire in Japan since the Myojo 56 building fire of 2001. As a result of the incident, some works and collaborations by the studio have either been delayed or cancelled.

The alleged perpetrator a 41 year old man, who did not work for the studio, entered the normally-locked front door of Kyoto Animation's 1st Studio and doused the area and several employees with gasoline before lighting it, setting the building on fire. He attempted to flee the scene but was later apprehended by police. Witnesses stated they heard him accusing the studio of plagiarism and theft, however the police have yet to interview him. Kyoto Animation President Hatta stated that nobody submitted the perpetrator's work under his name.

A few weeks prior to the attack, Kyoto Animation had received a number of death threats. Company president Hideaki Hatta said that they didn't know whether If the threats were related to the incident, as they were sent anonymously, however he did contact the police and lawyers about them. According to locals, a man that resembled the perpetrator was spotted near the studio days before it took place. The studio's entrance required employee passcards, yet the door was unlocked as they were expecting visitors from NHK.

As of 2015 Kyoto Animation has produced 21 anime series and numerous films such as K-On!!, Free!, The Melancholy of Hahuri Suzumiya, Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid, Lucky Star, Full Metal Panic!, Clannad, A Silent Voice, and Violet Evergarden. Unlike most Japanese animation studios, Kyoto Animations animator's were salaried employees rather than freelance workers. Therefore, Kyoto Animation animators were able to focus more on the quality of each frame rather than on meeting frame production quotas. Kyoto Animation's president Hideaki Hatta stated in an interview that he is considering demolishing Studio 1, replacing the building with a public park and a monument.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
    wolf jani likes this.
  13. Kutie Pie

wolf jani likes this.
  14. WishIhadaManafi5

Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
    wolf jani likes this.