• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Kyurem

Yep, here is another unique typing dragon from 5th gen, and in my opinion a simple beast. The fact that its typing leaves much to desire to some left me astonish since I so it, and beeing bulky with those great speed and attacking stats it can be deadly. Here it goes.

Kyurem_NB.gif

#646 Kyuremu
Typing: Dragon/ Ice
Ability 01: Pressure

When this Pokémon is hit by a move, the opponent’s PP lowers by 2 rather than 1.

Ability 02 (Dream World): Unknown

Base Stats:
HP: 125
Atk: 130
Def: 90
SpA: 130
SpD: 90
Spe: 95

Level-Up Moves:
Lv1: Icy Wind
Lv1: Dragon Rage
Lv8: Imprison
Lv15: Ancient Power
Lv18: Ice Beam
Lv29: Dragon Breath
Lv36: Slash
Lv43: Scary Face
Lv50: [M549]
Lv57: Dragon Rage
Lv64: Imprison
Lv71: Endeavor
Lv78: Blizzard
Lv85: Outrage
Lv92: Hyper Voice
[M549]: Ice Special Power: 65 / Accuracy: 95
Sharply lowers target's Speed

TM/ HM Moves:
TM01 - Claw Sharpen,
TM02 - Dragon Claw,
TM06 - Toxic,
TM07 - Hail,
TM10 - Hidden Power,
TM11 - Sunny Day,
TM13 - Ice Beam,
TM14 - Blizzard,
TM15 - Hyper Beam,
TM16 - Light Screen,
TM17 - Protect,
TM18 - Rain Dance,
TM20 - Safeguard,
TM21 - Frustration,
TM27 - Return,
TM29 - Psychic,
TM30 - Shadow Ball,
TM32 - Double Team,
TM33 - Reflect,
TM39 - Rock Tomb,
TM42 - Facade,
TM44 - Rest,
TM48 - Troll,
TM49 - Echo Voice,
TM52 - Focus Blast,
TM56 - Fling,
TM65 - Shadow Claw,
TM66 - Payback,
TM68 - Giga Impact,
TM71 - Stone Edge,
TM80 - Rock Slide,
TM82 - Dragon Tail,
TM87 - Swagger,
TM90 - Substitute,
TM91 - Flash Cannon,
TM94 - Rock Smash,
HM01 - Cut,
HM02 - Fly,
HM04 – Strength

Say hello to what seems as the third part of Generation 5’s dragon trio, similarly to Dialga, Palkia, and Giratina in Generation 4. Unlike its counterparts, Reshiram and Zekrom, Kyuremu doesn’t own a base 150 offensive stat, but instead it boasts even base 130 offensive stats as well as 95 sped which is higher than the White Ying and Black Kang Pokemon’s, making Kyuremu a viable mixed attacker, or better known as, a wall Breaker. Also, as is obvious, Kyuremu also is the first of its typing; Ice/ Dragon was longed by many battlers since the first generation and Game Freak decided to give them that gift in this generation, although whether this typing is a gift or not is yet to be decided. With this typing, gains weaknesses to Fighting-, Rock-, and Steel-type attacks while still retaining its Dragon-Type weakness so there’s not much to be gained by this typing, though having an Ice Type STAB in Ubers can be very useful. Here’s a set(s) I though of; fell free to discuss it and also, please post new sets that may be viable!

Kyuremu @ Life Orb
200 SpA/ 252 Spe/ 52 Atk
Pressure Ability/ Naïve Nature
- Outrage/ Dragon Claw
- Ice Beam/ Blizzard
- Draco Meteor/ Hidden Power [Fire]
- Focus Blast/ Claw Sharpen

Kyuremu can effectively play the roles of a mixed attacker/ wall breaker due to several reasons; its massive base 130 offensive stats, decent bulk and its nice base 95 speed stat. Life orb is essential for maximum damage output, and a naïve nature is used to maximize speed while lowering Kyuremu’s less useful defenses (due to the reason being that all its weaknesses will most often be physical attacks). The Evs where selected to spread out its offenses while keeping it fast enough to take on opposing base 95’s and under (notably Reshiram and Zekrom). Outrage is essential; the first of Kyuremu’s two STABs (though Dragon Claw can be used if you don't like to be locked into Outrage) while Ice Beam or Blizzard gives it its second STAB attacks. Hidden power [Fire] gives great coverage with Outrage and Ice Beam/ Blizzard though Draco Meteor can be used if you want a strang special STAB attack; and since Heatran resists all of these attacks, Focus Blast can be used to deal with the lava Pokemon. Also, Claw Sharpen can be used if you want to power up Outrage and make Blizzard and Draco Meteor more accurate.

Choice

Choice Scarf / Choice Specs Timid
Moveset
~ Draco Meteor
~ Ice Beam / Blizzard
~ Focus Blast
~ Hidden Power Fire / Dragon Pulse
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

With a Special Attack equaling those of Gengar, Espeon, Latios, Magnezone, Glaceon, and Heatran, Kyurem makes a great user of either Choice Scarf or Choice Specs. With Choice Scarf, Kyurem serves as a great revenge killer, sitting at 475 Speed with STAB Dragon- and Ice-type attacks at its disposal; meanwhile, Choice Specs powers up that great Special Attack to an impressive 538, ensuring very few will survive. The choice between a revenge killer and a powerful Special Attacker is up to the trainer, but the moveset for both remains the same. Draco Meteor tears through anything that isn't resistant or named Chansey or Blissey. Ice Beam is secondary STAB, providing an alternative to Draco Meteor to combat fellow Dragon-types, many of whom are 4x weak against Ice, without resorting to the Special Attack-decreasing Draco Meteor.

■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■

So yeah, that was a small summary of Kyuremu and its extent in terms of viability in the competitive battling scene of Pokemon. Please post with your comments, suggestions or basically anything that will help recognize Kyuremu's usefulness in competitive play.​

Fortunato

Sic Transit Gloria
Kyurem is a pretty cool pokemon actually, and I like him a lot. After his ban from UU he doesn't see much usage but he can find himself being a powerful attacker on any hail team and with pretty good coverage in blizzard/draco/focus blast/filler he gets the job done pretty nicely.

Gray™

One thing I've noticed when using Kyurem:
When u give it an Expert Belt to lure in Scizor and Ferrothorn......people do not like it.

Zachmac

Kyurem just needs better speed and Fire Blast. Actually, I'd love to see a special event one with Lighting Strike and Blue Flame. Lighting strike could make it a mixed sweeper, providing coverage to ice beam. On special sets, however, you could use Blue Flame as coverage from dragon pulse.

I'd also like to move tutors that can give it more physical moves, such as a move tutor for icicle crash.

But I'm just getting my hopes up.

Im using hail atm and choice scarf Kyurem with Hidden power fire as filler is such a damn monster. It isnt OHKO by Choice Band Scizor's Blulet Punch and OHKO's back with hp fire

ParaChomp

be your own guru
I love this thing so much! It can take hits and has decent speed which coupled with Glacite can really dish out some damage.

GrassTypes.

Stats look a lot like Rayquaza's stats, just add 20 to Atck and Sp.Atck and is the exact same stats.

I used a bulky Kyuremu before with Glaciate (the super-Icy Wind) / Draco Meteor / Focus Blast / HP Fire. It was pretty good at killing pretty much everything and Glaciate was nice for dicking over stuff like Scarf Tyranitar.

Kyuremu is one of those usable Pokemon but not one that's good enough to be OU.

BGP_

Kyurem is flat out badass. Even though it has that hinderance with the ice secondary type, it can still take some hits, and he's just a damn monster attacking. He's a pretty sweet mon to use.

Eaglehawk

Banned
I used a bulky Kyuremu before with Glaciate (the super-Icy Wind) / Draco Meteor / Focus Blast / HP Fire. It was pretty good at killing pretty much everything and Glaciate was nice for dicking over stuff like Scarf Tyranitar.

Kyuremu is one of those usable Pokemon but not one that's good enough to be OU.

lol still using Kyuremu over Kyurem

Anyway, I used a bulky Hone Claws set with Hone Claws/Dragon Tail/Toxic/Blizzard once. It really kinda sucked as it dragged dead weight, but it was cool seeing wtfs from people getting their Pokemon KOed by Blizzard.

Would a Bulkyurem set be viable?

Kyurem @ Leftovers
Pressure
Bold
252 HP/84 Def/96 SpD/76 Spe
Glaciate
Dragon Tail
Toxic
Protect

Glaciate is surprising powerful, OHKOing Gliscor and Salamence. Dragon Tail phazes, perfect if you have a boosted Pokemon on the loose. Toxic and Protect make it more of a staller.

Ilan

Would a Bulkyurem set be viable?

Kyurem @ Leftovers
Pressure
Bold
252 HP/84 Def/96 SpD/76 Spe
Glaciate
Dragon Tail
Toxic
Protect

Glaciate is surprising powerful, OHKOing Gliscor and Salamence. Dragon Tail phazes, perfect if you have a boosted Pokemon on the loose. Toxic and Protect make it more of a staller.

Well if he had a realible recovery move he would be awesome but yeah this set seems cool too although the dragon tail eliminate the speed drop of glaciate.
Also consider he have 6 weaknesses (luckly none X4) he have some problems defnsively but he have nice bulck 125/90/90 so yeah he might be quiet good.
considering his design is kind of lacking for being a cover pokemon of "pokemon "grey"" it may get an alternate form just like Girtina got.

SwiftGrovyle

Official POTW Fact Checker
Kyurem- wuji, the absence of ying & yang.

Talk about a beast, this thing rips apart Giratina in hail. Massive. Some call it Ou, I say it's Uber, because of that power.

The design? Sorry, looks like a robot chicken. Lol.

Yes kyreum may be a very powerful and deadly pokemon but it looks awful, i mean it looks like an arctic robot and also looks like it has light bulbs on it's 'wings' if you can call
them wings. it looks even worse from behind. i have always wanted there to be an ice/dragon legendary but i am utterly dissapointed with this one.

Kyurem's typing is meant to be bulky offense, not defensive. Also lucario4(Insert lots of numbers here) I've been using this guy over a week now and it completly destroys unprepared teams being faster than dragonite, one of the most dragons used now, taking a CB Bullet Punch from scizor and OHKOing in return with hp fire or simply doing some great hits with Blizard/Draco Meteor or even glaciate this guy is nothing to take lightly.

irock245

She wants it
bulky offense? Are you serious? If kyreum had a base speed of 101, he would be ou and I could take you a bit more seriously. His attacking stats are godly, ill giv you that. But with all the fighting types around and his crap speed, he doesn't have what it takes to beat them.