• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Lack of Day/Night Cycle: Opinions?

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I'm sure everyone who has played any of the main 3rd Generation games has noticed the evident lack of a day/night cycle. Time is kept as seen in Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald, but no matter what time of day it is ingame, the scenery never changes. It was also a similar case in LeafGreen and FireRed. It's always bright and sunny in all 5 games. How did this affect you personally? Were you all right with it? Were you a bit disappointed? I'd like to hear what others have to say.

As for me, I was slightly disappointed at first when I bought Sapphire. Since these games were for the Gameboy Advance, I assumed they would be highly advanced themselves. I remember playing in the day and wondering why it never darkened in the game when the sun went down in the real world. I assumed that it got darker late at night and since I always slept early, I cast the worries aside. But then I remember feeling irritated and I knew the games no longer had the morning, day, and night cycles they had in Generation 2. But I got over it and eventually I never gave it much thought during gameplay since I had other things to focus on, like catching Pokemon.

Sara Hysaro

It was a little annoying, but at least R/S/E counted day and night while FR/LG didn't. >> What was really ridiculous about the latter two is that they could have just prevented Eevee evolution the same way they prevented Friendship evolutions. Really bad move in my opinion.

I remember being most disappointed at the lack of a week cycle. I loved having different things going on during different days of the week. D=

Swampert_trainer

Laughs at thunder
It was irritating at first, but the more times I replay Sapphire, the less I care that the day/night cycle isn't animated. At least day/night still counted in R/S/E unlike in FR/LG.

blaze boy

Aka SamuraiDon
At first I thought it was odd. Then I did some research and found that an internal clock feature would have put a huge strain on the cartridge's battery and render the game unplayable within a matter of years. Thankfully the invention of the DS solved this problem.

Not true. The game are flash based meaning they didn't used a battery to save. As for the lack of day and night it did bug me but not so much for me to stop playing the game.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Not true. The game are flash based meaning they didn't used a battery to save. As for the lack of day and night it did bug me but not so much for me to stop playing the game.

I had no idea, I assumed that the battery saved the data. I guess I've learned something today. Well regardless, I still found it a bit annoying at first since it seemed like they added all these neat features to the 3rd Generation but left out the most important one from previous games; day and night changes. I think it might have something to do with the GBA's screens though, that's what I heard.

Chaos Rush

At first I thought it was odd. Then I did some research and found that an internal clock feature would have put a huge strain on the cartridge's battery and render the game unplayable within a matter of years. Thankfully the invention of the DS solved this problem.
Uh, dude? You set the clock at the beginning of the game. In R/S/E. Notice how you can evolve Eevee into Espeon/Umbreon on those games.

The reason why visible day/night wasn't included was because it would have been too dark to see on an unlit GBA. There's a few R/S/E (and even FR/LG) rom hacks that have visible day & night implemented. I don't want to post links, but I'm just gonna say: The place where ShinyGold was born

I actually like that the 3rd gen doesn't have a day/night cycle. In D/P it starts to get dark at 5 pm - that's way too early. I want as many daylight hours as possible.

Sprintking

One of my favorite GSC features was Day/Night. It's absence didn't ruin the game, but RSEFRLG sure weren't better off without it.

Sceptile Master

Survivor of the Great Avatar Depression
Actually,the lack of visible changeas in Emerald never bothered me.

(Now, to expand on Gilgamesh's statement, there isn't anything in D/P that recognizes the season, so IRL in the summer when it gets darker later, as he said, it gets darker way too early.)

AzukanAsimbu

Petal Paladin
i never cared in the least

Umbreon Ruler

Swim for your life.
I really like that feature in GSC (I was a little kid then so I didn't care so much about catching certain Pokemon at different times of day. I just thought thought it was neat) and was really disappointed to see that it wasn't included. It didn't ruin anything, though.

sealeo

I would have preferred it if r/s/e had day and night cycles- although it wouldnt have made that much of a difference

Hikari Paradise

Forever Alone
It was a little boring having only one time of the day to play at but it wasn't bad enough to ruin the entire game.

Hmm... I think it should have been implemented in Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald, if for no other reason than for the sake of being consistent with the previous incarnation of games. But really, what irked me was the lack of a Week Cycle -- sure, there wasn't a lot added in with this, but something different every day (even if you didn't take advantage of it) was still a nice touch.

KeshanAmare

The Dark Shadow
It never bothered me, to be honest. But the new additions in the latest games are a far cry from the days of the GBA games.

ForteAnly

It didn't bother me that FR and LG didn't have it because they were remakes of the originals that lacked the day and night cycle but for RSE it was weird. It never bothered me but I found it strange that RSE were lacking the night function since GSC had it. Maybe if they remake RSE game freak will fix that.

zipzap713

@Peteyism
It was disappointing, but I got used to it. It was more annoying with FRLG not having a clock. At all. No evolving Eevee :(

It was sad not to have the feature, but I got over it. At least they counted the time, unlike FRLG. That was what bugged me the most.