• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Lack of focus on the Water-type starters

iml908

Does anyone else feel like the Water-type starters have kinda been underutilized in the manga? Specifically the first stages, much more so than the other starters.

Squirtle only appeared in flashback, and Totodile appeared only like twice before evolving. You could argue this was because they were owned by characters who weren't the focus of their arcs (ie not the male player character), but Charmander and Chikorita weren't owned by focus characters and still appeared more than the Water-types.

Mudkip was owned by the focus character of his arc, and thus got a lot of panel time. Piplup also got a lot of panel time, though this can be attributed to all main characters getting roughly equal focus in the arc.

Oshawott was owned by Bianca, the first time a Water-starter was given to a non-main character. Bianca still appeared a lot, and Oshawott definitely had a personality to it, so this wasn't all that egregious. Although, Lack-Two was introduced with an already evolved Dewott, so Oshawott kinda lost out on its turn to be the focus. Froakie, like Piplup, got a lot of focus because the main characters traveled in a group.

Popplio wasn't owned by a main character, and was probably the least focused on starter in all of PokeSpe. Now, Sobble is where this kinda came apparent that Water-types were getting the short end of the stick. The male player characters have always cycled through the types, from Grass to Fire to Water, and back to Grass. After Sun owned Litten, it looked like Sword was going to own Sobble. However, as we all know, Sobble instead went to Marvin. While we don't know how this arc is going to go, the fact is, while Marvin may get a lot of focus, he won't be as important on the Galar Dex Holders.

So, of all 8 first stage Water-type starters, 3 got significant focus, 2 were owned by main characters but didn't appear a lot, and the last 3 weren't owned by main characters.

horrahforyou

Pokemon and Kamen Rider is life
I was expecting before that Soudo will receive Sobble since Schilly has a Scorbunny. I hope it will change as the story progresses

e9310103838

I noticed that there are only six dex holders in the water type starters group. The grass type starters and fire type starters group have eight each.

And in my opinion Marvin will show Gigantamax Inteleon, just don't know how he will get a dynamax band and use it. :D

Last edited:

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
I was expecting before that Soudo will receive Sobble since Schilly has a Scorbunny. I hope it will change as the story progresses

Grookey fits Soudo's tool theme, Sobble does not. It's as simple as that.

Also, both Soudo and Marvin have given their starters nicknames. It'd be weird to establish that just to pull a switch on us.

Lord Godwin

The Lord of Darkness
Grookey fits Soudo's tool theme, Sobble does not. It's as simple as that.

Also, both Soudo and Marvin have given their starters nicknames. It'd be weird to establish that just to pull a switch on us.
Well, once Intelion get's his sniper rifle he would fit Soudo theme:p

lolipiece

Staff member
Well, once Intelion get's his sniper rifle he would fit Soudo theme:p
Soudo only catches Pokemon that carry objects. Base Inteleon only shoots water from its finger. G-Inteleon's rifle isn't the same thing since it's made from Inteleon's own water.

iml908

I mean, Soudo didn't need to have a tool theme. And it's not like past Dex Holders have had their starter break their team theme, like X.

lolipiece

Staff member
I mean, Soudo didn't need to have a tool theme. And it's not like past Dex Holders have had their starter break their team theme, like X.

Yeah, but with X, none of the Kalos starters have Megas (yet). So it's either he gets one or he gets none, and we can't have that. I wouldn't be surprised if he'd break the pattern for X if Froakie or Fennekin had a Mega.

I do wonder if this means we're starting from a new pattern. Or will Kusaka just not bother anymore and give whoever whatever.